Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
why not? Hanifin has played really well in a matchup roll and would fill a long term roll on this team and Rielly has shown time over time the ability to play strong with a less talented d partners.

Hanifin Brodie
Rielly Liljegren
McCabe Benoit
Giordano

would be really solid for the playoffs
Disagree.

You are squandering picks that we have precious few of, and cap space that we have little of, to bring a top heavy approach to our defence that we’ve spent years complaining about with our forwards doesn’t work.

2 top flight LHD is a luxury we can’t afford. Unless we are moving Rielly, we need better balance on d, with true RHD. Our RHD players are currently Timmins and Liljegren. Niemela in the pipeline. Is that really good enough for us to go where we need to go? It’s actually very weak compared to other non/playoff teams, and we consider ourselves Stanley Cup contenders?

Please don’t tell me Brodie is on your RHD. He has demonstrated clearly these past 5 games that he belongs on LHD, and he demonstrated last playoff and all season he does not belong on RHD anymore.

Add to it he’s a UFA making $5m now, if we aren’t playing him LhD the remainder of this season, we need to move off of him. Which means we need to add a real RHD to play with Rielly.

That’s who you spend cap and assets to get, not Hanifin.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Sorry, not a fan.

Fix RHD in a meaningful way. We don’t need 1A and 1B LHD and we don’t have money for $15m in the cap to them.

Treliving needs to look beyond his Calgary retreads.

We made fun of Dubas and his Soo OCD. I’m not interested in Treliving only looking at his former Calgary players.

He needs to be more resourceful than that, and broader in his searches.
I don't necessarily think Tree is negotiating with Calgary just because of familiarity. They are one of the few teams in the league that is having a fire sale and have 2 D men available that would be huge additions to our lineup. What other teams would you say have that?

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yeah. Put a two-year one-way max buriable (1.15) in front of him and he really has to consider it. That's still life changing money.

He'd have big decision in front of him. Maybe he keeps this up through the rest of the season and a deep run and is looking at millions as a UFA. Maybe Jarncrok comes back, we add a forward at the deadline and he's the odd man out with the last two weeks being the high water mark of his career.
If it’s a fully buriable amount, give him term up to Reaves length.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Tanev's durability scares the hell out of me but he seems the easiest though, compared to Roy or Weegar but I don't want to just torch the 1st round pick, I would say I would sign off on this;

Tanev 50% retained
2nd round pick from Calgary

for

2024 1st (TOR)
Timmins
2024 5th (CGY)
2024 7th (OTT)

They basically move up a bit in the draft, get a young RD and some secondary picks.

That's as high as I could go on him.

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Agreed, seems like him and Tavares can form a good bottom line duo going forward.
I get the rationale of JT’s usage here, but I always hoped he’d be tasked with lifting/elevating players in a role like the one he is being placed in now.
A third line with him leading it can match up with just about any team.

Reactions: ACC1224 and 4thline

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Tanev's durability scares the hell out of me but he seems the easiest the to compared to Roy or Weegar but I don't want to just torch the 1st round pick, I would say I would sign off on this;

Tanev 50% retained
2nd round pick from Calgary

for

2024 1st (TOR)
Timmins
2024 5th (CGY)
2024 7th (OTT)

They basically move up a bit in the draft, get a young RD and some secondary picks.

That's as high as I could go on him.

CGY can just get a 1st from another team and keep their 2nd. Essentially the deal becomes Timmins and late picks for Tanev, which isn't going to get us over the finish line.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
CGY can just get a 1st from another team and keep their 2nd. Essentially the deal becomes Timmins and late picks for Tanev, which isn't going to get us over the finish line.

I don't think any team has come forward with a 1st based on what Friedman has said but yea, I don't think I could offer up much more than the above on Tanev.

Our luck, he'd get injured after being acquired or early in a series.

Reactions: Al14

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Disagree.

You are squandering picks that we have precious few of, and cap space that we have little of, to bring a top heavy approach to our defence that we’ve spent years complaining about with our forwards doesn’t work.

2 top flight LHD is a luxury we can’t afford. Unless we are moving Rielly, we need better balance on d, with true RHD. Our RHD players are currently Timmins and Liljegren. Niemela in the pipeline. Is that really good enough for us to go where we need to go? It’s actually very weak compared to other non/playoff teams, and we consider ourselves Stanley Cup contenders?

Please don’t tell me Brodie is on your RHD. He has demonstrated clearly these past 5 games that he belongs on LHD, and he demonstrated last playoff and all season he does not belong on RHD anymore.

Add to it he’s a UFA making $5m now, if we aren’t playing him LhD the remainder of this season, we need to move off of him. Which means we need to add a real RHD to play with Rielly.

That’s who you spend cap and assets to get, not Hanifin.
I think I agree with all of this. I like Hanifin in our top four, but as a UFA and not an acquisition that costs us assets as well.

I am waking up to Dumba...not because he is great, or perfect but I think he would cost us less than Tanev (who would be better). This is not the year to be moving Cowan, Minten, Grebonkin, Tverberg, Robertson, Knies Holmberg, Niemela, or Hildeby. We finally have some young players that can contribute on ELCs...not all of them...but a few should help out. I wouldn't move Liljegren or Woll either. I would move our first for a youngish player with term only.

Rielly Dumba
Brodie Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

Gio Lagesson

I think that's way to go (or some other RD that won't cost us much...Lyubushkin is another example.

Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
Robertson Tavares McMann
Holmberg Kampf Jarnkrok
Gregor
Reaves

Woll
Samsonov
Jones

That's the play for this TDL in my opinion. We could resign Dumba, Domi and add a $7M dman to this mix next year. Our incoming depth on ELC might allow us to move on from Kampf too. We hope one of our kids can fill the Bertuzzi hole...Minten on the 3rd line and Robertson on the Domi line? Maybe sign Tsyplakov and give the kids another year to bake? I think we have to approach this deadline with the next couple of years in mind.

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The cost on Hanifin *with* an extension makes me gulp.
I have an affinity for draft and development and an attachment to the players in house who were drafted, developed and are progessing as they should be at the NHL level.
Of course that’s a quality add….setting up two good two-way pairs (assuming Hanifin/Reilly and Lili are three of them) and one pair of bruisers who may or may not have difficulty moving the puck in the tighter playoffs.
Keep in mind, sone money has got to go out too….it would have to be Brodie you’d think? It’s a big enough ticket as is.
The remaining issue is making sure Reilly (or Hanifin) has their partner.
Finding another D on the cheap? Benoit up with Mo?
It’s a tricky fit either way.

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Holmberg-Kampf-Karnkrok has the makings of a bottom six plus line.
Knies Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
McMann Domi Bertuzzi
Holmberg Kampf Jarnkrok

I actually really like the look of that forward group. To me that looks like a true top 6, bottom 6. 2 scoring lines, a physical 3rd line that can score and a 4th line that can play with energy and be a shutdown line, as well as chip in with some offense. Seems like 4 solid attacking lines.

Reactions: aingefan

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I don't think any team has come forward with a 1st based on what Friedman has said but yea, I don't think I could offer up much more than the above on Tanev.

Our luck, he'd get injured after being acquired or early in a series.
I'm a big fan of Tanev, perfect partner for Rielly and he can still play, but I'm not dealing that 1st for him whether he re-signs or not.

That remains to be seen.

I'm expecting a desperate GM to cave in. Maybe Conroy does right by Tanev and accepts a bit less to send the player to his preferred destination.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Knies Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
McMann Domi Bertuzzi
Holmberg Kampf Jarnkrok

I actually really like the look of that forward group. To me that looks like a true top 6, bottom 6. 2 scoring lines, a physical 3rd line that can score and a 4th line that can play with energy and be a shutdown line, as well as chip in with some offense. Seems like 4 solid attacking lines.
I agree.
And there’s some flexibility with the wingers there to provide different looks. I’m not much worried about the forward group now or the next few years, really. There’s even excess, in my mind.
(It hasn’t been tried, and this might not be the right time….but I’ve been curious about the idea of putting Willy with Holmberg and Jarnkrok, and let him really do his thing. Those two would prop him up on the D side and he’d prop them up on the O side- both have shown they can capably complement offensive lines.)

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Reaves would be the odd man out before him.
Theoretically

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
Robertson-Tavares-Jarncrok
Gregor/Holmberg-Kampf-New Guy

I'd keep McMann in over Gregor, but what if there's two New Guys? What if Keefe chooses Gregor?
Point is that having the icetime from March 8th on to secure a much better deal than 2.3m guaranteed is far from a given.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm a big fan of Tanev, perfect partner for Rielly and he can still play, but I'm not dealing that 1st for him whether he re-signs or not.

I'm expecting a desperate GM to cave in. Maybe Conroy does right by Tanev and accepts a bit less to send the player to his preferred destination.

I like Tanev and I would consider adding him to the team as a UFA but wouldn't want to pay the trade deadline premium.

I still have a few more durable guys ahead on my wish list like Roy, Weegar, Parayko and Forsling (although LD in that case) but if he landed here, I am okay with that.

Reactions: Al14

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
anyone think Bogosian can replicate what Schenn did for Reilly after this trade to Toronto. Reilly has always thrived when playing next to shutdown D like Schenn and Hainsey.

Does Bogo have anything left in the tank? He makes 900k

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
anyone think Bogosian can replicate what Schenn did for Reilly after this trade to Toronto. Reilly has always thrived when playing next to shutdown D like Schenn and Hainsey.

Does Bogo have anything left in the tank? He makes 900k

Nah, he's a #7 at best now.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Erik Johnson is the only cheap legit RHD for rielly and can kill penalties. Leafs scouts have also been seen at the last three sabres games.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I agree.
And there’s some flexibility with the wingers there to provide different looks. I’m not much worried about the forward group now or the next few years, really. There’s even excess, in my mind.
(It hasn’t been tried, and this might not be the right time….but I’ve been curious about the idea of putting Willy with Holmberg and Jarnkrok, and let him really do his thing. Those two would prop him up on the D side and he’d prop them up on the O side- both have shown they can capably complement offensive lines.)
I'm a big draft / development guy as well, but you can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. When legitimate assets (especially those that fit the prime years of the rest of the core become available and would instantly upgrade a notable weakness on the team, I'm more than fine moving picks and prospects for them.

What I don't want to see is continued overpayment for expiring contracts, that screw over organizational depth and development. Especially in years when it's obvious that the Leafs aren't among the top 4-5 Cup contenders.

In short, if a 27 year old, just coming into his his prime, Noah Hanifin becomes available, I'm more than fine moving multiple top tier assets for him, even if it costs 7.5-8.0 million to extend him... But HARD NO to paying insane prices for the washed up Nick Foligno's of the world.

To Calgary
1st round pick
3rd round pick
Nick Robertson or Fraser Minten
Ronnie Hirvonen or Topi Niemela

If the package looks something like that, I can handle it, but only because of specific player we're talking about and only if he's coming with a 5+ year extension.

Reactions: aingefan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad