Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'd say there's ample evidence we need another defenseman who can actually move the puck. With Liljegrens inconsistencies this season we have one guy who does that well.

I also said acquiring him wouldn't prevent another addition.

We need more good defensemen of any kind. One legit top-4 defenseman and a couple of borderline passable #4s just doesn’t cut it.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
We need more good defensemen of any kind. One legit top-4 defenseman and a couple of borderline passable #4s just doesn’t cut it.
That’s been Toronto issue and problem since the Core4, lesser players playing in spots in the lineup where they shouldn’t be and not addressing the need properly.

Toronto needs to find a legitimate top 4 dman on the right side and pay the price for it.

Reactions: Dreakmur

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Rielly Smith might be the only player of interest if the Leafs want to move on from Bert

Smith could be a valuable top 9 LW addition with cup winning experience and a solid playoff track record

But that does have tougher cap implications next season
Can't see that happening.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
FROM THE ATHLETIC
Trade proposal...I kind of like/love it.

Arizona Coyotes trade Matt Dumba and a 2024 second-round draft choice to the Maple Leafs for Toronto’s 2024 first-rounder.
Toronto flips the second-rounder to the Calgary Flames for Chris Tanev.

This is complicated, so let’s begin with three truths that appear to have been established already. One is that the Maple Leafs need at least one and potentially two defensemen to give themselves a legitimate shot at the 2024 Stanley Cup. Two, the most common currency they could potentially use to acquire a mid-range defenseman, second-round draft choices, are missing from their draft-choice inventory. Three, Toronto wants to make its trade-deadline moves without giving up an A-level prospect.

So a conundrum, and it leaves you asking the question: How do you get the reinforcements you need at the lowest price point possible?

Maybe this is how. Arizona has joined the ranks of the sellers because of its recent month-long nosedive, which means both Matt Dumba and Jason Zucker, two pending UFAs, are now probably in play.

What might Dumba return at the deadline? Well, he’s 29, makes only modest dollars ($3.9 million) and has basically morphed into a stay-at-home defenseman in the second half of his career. He only had six points in his first 47 games for Arizona, though he’s contributed more offensively of late. Also: He’s been in the playoffs eight of the past nine seasons and can provide a physical presence to a Maple Leafs defense corps that probably can use some help in that area.

In theory, Toronto could offer its first for Dumba, but ask for a second-rounder back. Arizona has three — its own, Washington’s and Florida’s. Maybe the Coyotes send Toronto the second of those three.

It’s reasonable to ask: Why would Arizona trade Dumba to Toronto simply for a draft choice upgrade? For one thing, it’s something they’ve prioritized in the past. Remember, at last year’s deadline, the Coyotes chose to trade Jakob Chychrun to Ottawa instead of a handful of other suitors because the first-rounder Ottawa was sending back was going to be a higher choice than they would have gotten from a team in a playoff position.

So, jumping into the 20s from the 40s at the 2024 draft, which is what giving up a second to acquire a first would accomplish — that would represent genuine value to the Coyotes.

Meanwhile, Toronto gets a valuable rental in Dumba, plus potentially the draft capital to meet Calgary’s asking price for Chris Tanev, a player the Leafs would like to add to play alongside Morgan Rielly on their first pair. And if they can’t get Tanev for a second, then the Leafs could potentially use the pick to shop elsewhere — for a Sean Walker, a Nick Seeler or an Ilya Lyubushkin. But either way, Toronto gets the upgrade it needs on defense and the cost is its own first-rounder.

Not ideal, but better than the alternatives — of either standing pat or giving up either Fraser Minten or Easton Cowan in the deal.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
FROM THE ATHLETIC

Arizona Coyotes trade Matt Dumba and a 2024 second-round draft choice to the Maple Leafs for Toronto’s 2024 first-rounder.

This is complicated, so let’s begin with three truths that appear to have been established already. One is that the Maple Leafs need at least one and potentially two defensemen to give themselves a legitimate shot at the 2024 Stanley Cup. Two, the most common currency they could potentially use to acquire a mid-range defenseman, second-round draft choices, are missing from their draft-choice inventory. Three, Toronto wants to make its trade-deadline moves without giving up an A-level prospect.

So a conundrum, and it leaves you asking the question: How do you get the reinforcements you need at the lowest price point possible?

Maybe this is how. Arizona has joined the ranks of the sellers because of its recent month-long nosedive, which means both Matt Dumba and Jason Zucker, two pending UFAs, are now probably in play.

What might Dumba return at the deadline? Well, he’s 29, makes only modest dollars ($3.9 million) and has basically morphed into a stay-at-home defenseman in the second half of his career. He only had six points in his first 47 games for Arizona, though he’s contributed more offensively of late. Also: He’s been in the playoffs eight of the past nine seasons and can provide a physical presence to a Maple Leafs defense corps that probably can use some help in that area.

In theory, Toronto could offer its first for Dumba, but ask for a second-rounder back. Arizona has three — its own, Washington’s and Florida’s. Maybe the Coyotes send Toronto the second of those three.

It’s reasonable to ask: Why would Arizona trade Dumba to Toronto simply for a draft choice upgrade? For one thing, it’s something they’ve prioritized in the past. Remember, at last year’s deadline, the Coyotes chose to trade Jakob Chychrun to Ottawa instead of a handful of other suitors because the first-rounder Ottawa was sending back was going to be a higher choice than they would have gotten from a team in a playoff position.

So, jumping into the 20s from the 40s at the 2024 draft, which is what giving up a second to acquire a first would accomplish — that would represent genuine value to the Coyotes.

Meanwhile, Toronto gets a valuable rental in Dumba, plus potentially the draft capital to meet Calgary’s asking price for Chris Tanev, a player the Leafs would like to add to play alongside Morgan Rielly on their first pair. And if they can’t get Tanev for a second, then the Leafs could potentially use the pick to shop elsewhere — for a Sean Walker, a Nick Seeler or an Ilya Lyubushkin. But either way, Toronto gets the upgrade it needs on defense and the cost is its own first-rounder.

Not ideal, but better than the alternatives — of either standing pat or giving up either Fraser Minten or Easton Cowan in the deal.
I don't think they realise just how bad Dumba has been this season, he's a healthy scratch if we get Tanev to play with Rielly

You may as well just give up the first for Tanev and try to get Calgary to give you back a mid to late round pick instead

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
FROM THE ATHLETIC

It's fine on paper but doing this seems irrelevant. Leafs only really need 1 addition to the blue-line to push out Giordano if everyone is healthy. I dunno why they would bother getting Dumba, he'd be a downgrade on pretty much anyone we currently have. And no, Brodie isn't going anywhere and Liljegren should not be sitting. Injuries can pile up fast so maybe Dumba would come in clutch at that point.

Another note is that this isn't cap compliant as far as I know. I do like the thought process though.

Last edited:

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Where would everyone play. Getting 1 D-man sure! 2 Dmen seems like overkill. We’d have Rielly, Lilly, McCabe, Benoit, Brodie, Gio, Dumba and Tanev. 2 of these guys are sitting…it would be kind of pointless to trade your first for Dumba just to get Tanev and then forced to sit Dumba in the press box.

Right now no one is taking Benoit out, you’re not taking McCabe out. Not taking Lilly out. Where does Dumba play?

I like the creativity of the trade but it just doesn’t fit cap wise or roster wise.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Keep it simple and acquire the best D you can get without using the 1st rd pick. We need 2x top 4D and you're not getting that done at one TDL.

Then in the summer shop for the big fish UFA D; any one of Forsling/Hanifin/Pesce/Skjei on a long-term deal for 6-7.5m depending.

You could realistically do all of that, re-shape the blueline, and still have money to spend on a 3m winger replacement for Bertuzzi - potentially someone like Foegele - while still retaining the 1st rounder and achieving a quick retool of the prospect pool with Cowen + '24 1st in one calendar year.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He's only 25 years old and locked up for awhile at a good rate. There's probably a little more potential to unlock. I do agree about his lack of offensive ceiling and there are concerns there, even in college he wasn't much of a point producer.

I don't know why he can't be good enough to be on a great shut down pair though. That's probably where he'd excel the most. The guy has been stuck on a terrible Sharks team for awhile too.
I don’t hate the player, it’s just we have limited assets and I wouldn’t do a 1st for what he brings.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
I watched Florida play Ottawa and they will absolutely destroy us in the playoffs. They hit everything in sight

We need a big hitting crease clearing dman who will drop the gloves when needed to combat the rats of Florida.

We also need the same in a forward. Someone who hits and will drop the gloves
I watched Bennett lomberg cousins other Gus dishing out questions hits with no response

We need a couple more guys to combat their sleaze

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Call me petty, but I enjoy watching Dubas fail. Funny reading Pens fans now, he could do no wrong in the off-season now they’re coming down to earth.
Dubas was so overrated. He tried the same "analytics" tactics and signed players based off corsi and other stuff with the pens this past off-season

Same thing he did here the first 2 seasons before finally realizing you need to look at other stuff too

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Call me petty, but I enjoy watching Dubas fail. Funny reading Pens fans now, he could do no wrong in the off-season now they’re coming down to earth.

I didn't particularly care about him either way but that wasn't a job I would have been keen to take on

Old team and bare cubbords
It's going to be a decade before that teams any good

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
If its a Pitt fire sale I'd just offer Brodie for Graves
we get a monster LHD with term at a 'decent' hit and less than Brodie, and Dubas can resign or flip Brodie too, and if its a rebuild, thats a long contract off the books.
Graves was one of the D i hoped Treliving would sign.

Reactions: aingefan

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
If its a Pitt fire sale I'd just offer Brodie for Graves
we get a monster LHD with term at a 'decent' hit and less than Brodie, and Dubas can resign or flip Brodie too, and if its a rebuild, thats a long contract off the books.
Graves was one of the D i hoped Treliving would sign.
Marcus Pettersson is the piece from PIT i'd lock in on.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I watched Florida play Ottawa and they will absolutely destroy us in the playoffs. They hit everything in sight

We need a big hitting crease clearing dman who will drop the gloves when needed to combat the rats of Florida.

We also need the same in a forward. Someone who hits and will drop the gloves
I watched Bennett lomberg cousins other Gus dishing out questions hits with no response

We need a couple more guys to combat their sleaze
Oleksiak? Has term and can play in the top 4. Plays both sides. Identical salary as Klingberg

Reactions: notdoneyet

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd be seeing what the asking price is on nick bjugstad.

We know the Leafs are looking for a centre. He plays with a bit of jam, big body, decent underlying numbers with heavy defensive zone usage.

I can't.imagine he'd be a lot to acquire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad