Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I don’t understand in the slightest why people want Kunin.
He’s not a natural center and his QO is $3M - he’s not worth that at all.
Ferraro is also not ideal given that he is a lefty.

we should only be moving our first if the right trade comes to us AKA defensive RHD to play with Rielly.

Reactions: LeafChief

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
20-20 hindsight. Every team that wants to contend flushes assets every year and they all add up to an ugly pile eventually, and everyone but the Cup winners has to suck on that.

I would say that Kyle either underestimated the value of high end defense or he thought Rielly was going to be a lot more than he was. With all due respect to Muzzin and Brodie they were far from being number 1 D men. But if you brought a Muzz, a TJ and a McCabe all in at the same time you probably don't need a Pietrangelo. Good adds but not enough overlap of prime years.

They spend like rock stars on forwards every chance they get so there is no cap space left for a quality D man. When all-dangle Dubas finally leaves Tre says "hold my beer, I am going to make people forget Willies first contract."

They need a player that fills their biggest need, not someone who simply makes them better. This lineup isn't deep enough for that.

Not every team. Carolina doesn’t. St. Louis sold. Florida made the finals last year with no moves

I didn’t have a problem with moving the picks. The problem is being left with nothing.

Those assets could have got you a player with term.

I doubt they will get two Dmen. Unfortunately Ferraro is a LHD so Brodie moves back to Right side which isn't great

Why do people say that? He has been a rd his whole career

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Not every team. Carolina doesn’t. St. Louis sold. Florida made the finals last year with no moves

I didn’t have a problem with moving the picks. The problem is being left with nothing.

Is he actually? They have him listed as a lefty

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If there is a good fit, I don’t mind making trades but absolutely no rentals.
Also, I don’t think there are one or two pieces that will make the Leafs much better for the playoffs unless Saros is coming.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Well Pagnotta might have something up your alley:

lol wow I literally posted a Ferraro + Kunin package on here a couple of days ago....what are the odds haha. Let me see if I can find it

Target San Jose for a Mario Ferraro + Luke Kunin package

I like Kunin for the bottom 6. Playoff type of player with some offensive upside (has 7 goals this year). If you can somehow include Kampf in the deal that would be great too.
LMFAOOO

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Is he actually? They have him listed as a lefty

Yes tj Brodie is a LS playing the right side. It’s way more common than people think.

Bryan mccabe did it here. So did tons of others.

He played with Hannafin/ Gio in Calgary and all but a handful of games on the right here.

He is better on the right historically.

Maybe he is just getting better mentally after his father’s death and this is a coincidence.

But Brodie has always been a rd.

Reactions: Amadeus

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like Ferraro and he's probably one of the only pieces worth acquiring from the Shark, especially with his contract. He plays a ton and plays all situations. His ability to stay healthy has been iffy though and he's a lefty, something to keep in mind.

Kunin hasn't been very good for awhile. And he's an expensive winger. He hits a decent amount and PKs a bit but doesn't seem to fit at all what we need at his cap hit.

Just focus on Ferraro if that's the goal and call up the Preds about Novak.

Last edited:

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Yes tj Brodie is a LS playing the right side. It’s way more common than people think.

He played with Hannafin/ Gio in Calgary and all but a handful of games on the right here.

Maybe he is just getting better mentally after his father’s death and this is a coincidence.

Sorry I thought you meant Ferraro.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I like Ferraro and he's probably one of the only pieces worth acquiring from the Shark, especially with his contract. He plays a ton and plays all situations. His ability to stay healthy has been iffy though and he's a lefty, something to keep in mind.

Kunin hasn't been very good for awhile. And he's an expensive winger. He hits a decent amount and PKs a bit but doesn't seem to fit at all what we need at his cap hit.

Just focus on Ferraro if that's the goal and call up the Preds about Novak.
Seems to have trouble moving the puck and lacks poise from what I'm reading, eats minutes, blocks shots, but on an awful team. He isn't good enough to be a shutdown, and has zero offence. He's an NHLer, but not sure he's the right guy to squander a first for imo.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I desperately hope that Toronto isn't going to move their 1st round pick in a deal for Mario Ferraro. Not only does he not move the needle, he's a LHD, on a roster that badly needs an upgrade on the right side.

It's one thing if you're adding a Hanifin level talent. You play him on the left side and figure the rest out around him. But when you have Reilly, Brodie, McCabe and Benoit as options on your left side, why the heck would consider sending your 1st round pick out the door for a LHD that is a #4 at best and is more than likely a bottom pairing guy on a really good team?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I doubt they will get two Dmen. Unfortunately Ferraro is a LHD so Brodie moves back to Right side which isn't great
True, that’s not ideal. That’s why getting someone like Oleksiak or Larsson, who I believe are both RHD, would be helpful, and solidify the pairings, but it also creates the problem of pushing Benoit out, which I’m not fond of.

I don’t understand in the slightest why people want Kunin.
He’s not a natural center and his QO is $3M - he’s not worth that at all.
Ferraro is also not ideal given that he is a lefty.

we should only be moving our first if the right trade comes to us AKA defensive RHD to play with Rielly.
I prefer Henrique as a centre aquisition

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

You got to remember that when it was common for left shot defenders to play the right point was the game wasn't as fast as it is today. Good forechecking teams are gonna kill defenders playing their off side because breaking out on your backhand isn't really a good option. Florida is that kind of team and it's why he looked so awful last playoffs against them. D pairs have looked great they way they are now and if we can get that good right shot defensive/two way defender to pair with Rielly I think our defence looks very good.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
You got to remember that when it was common for left shot defenders to play the right point was the game wasn't as fast as it is today. Good forechecking teams are gonna kill defenders playing their off side because breaking out on your backhand isn't really a good option. Florida is that kind of team and it's why he looked so awful last playoffs against them. D pairs have looked great they way they are now and if we can get that good right shot defensive/two way defender to pair with Rielly I think our defence looks very good.
Adam Larsson fit that bill?

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

If Brodie shows over the next 30 games that he's still a decent player on LD I wouldn't be opposed tl him coming back cheap. I'd also be fine with Domi coming back at his current price tag. They would still probably have $9-10M for a goalie and top 4 D after that. I'd also like to see them get rid of Kampf and use that money elsewhere.

Bertuzzi being as bad as he has at least shows us what the team should be able to do during the crunch next season. They won't win the division but they should make the playoffs.
Domi at Kampf money max .Bertuzzi 2.5 x2 or let him wall

Reactions: Jmo89

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Seems to have trouble moving the puck and lacks poise from what I'm reading, eats minutes, blocks shots, but on an awful team. He isn't good enough to be a shutdown, and has zero offence. He's an NHLer, but not sure he's the right guy to squander a first for imo.

He's only 25 years old and locked up for awhile at a good rate. There's probably a little more potential to unlock. I do agree about his lack of offensive ceiling and there are concerns there, even in college he wasn't much of a point producer.

I don't know why he can't be good enough to be on a great shut down pair though. That's probably where he'd excel the most. The guy has been stuck on a terrible Sharks team for awhile too.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ideally, getting someone between 24-27. But not opposed to a veteran, at all. We need a 3C, though, and we don’t have a tonne of ammo to get it all, unfortunately

I don't see that we "NEED" a 3C. An upgrade would be nice, but I don't think it's near the top of our NEED list.

The top of the NEED list, should be finding Mo the right partner. Fans tend to want the biggest shiny brand name, like Hanifin, but we have enough big names, and would probably be better off seeking players who can play that physical game required in the playoffs. Someone to stabilize Mo's defensive deficiencies, allowing him to do what he does best. A physical, net clearing D man.

That has to be the priority. It's been that way for years.

Alter says Leafs are better with Brodie playing the left side and need a better partner for Rielly.

I like:

Rielly Tanev
Brodie Lily
Benoit McCabe
Don't get me wrong, I like Tanev... but is a 193lb D man, really the guy we need to protect the area in front of the net? Is that THE guy we should be pursuing with our limited assets?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'll say it again, Alexandre Carrier seems like a great fit for me. Won't cost the 1st, young enough to be a long-term add if he fits in well. Shouldn't be prohibitively expensive to re-sign. Would immediately become our best RHD. You could still go after an Adam Larsson type as well to really remake our right side.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We've got a ton of people suggesting our D core isn't big enough, and ample evidence that we need more physicality on the back end... and somehow a 174 lb D man is a "great fit"??

Reactions: Budz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad