Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hanafin is a lefty, so who's playing with Rielly and what's the cost going to be for Hanifin?

I'm more than willing to throw our 1st at him but I seriously doubt that's going to cut it so 1st + Minten? 1st + Cowan?
We don't have a 2nd to add to this deal

Are we comfortable doing that?

Personally I think we shouldn't get too siloed into the partner for Reilly angle. Play Hanifin away from Reilly and you could ensure that one of.each was on the ice for like 90% of a playoff game.

Cowan is one of the few prospects I'd consider among the teams collection to be close to untouchable, but I'd be willing to involve Minten if an extension was involved for the player coming back

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Personally I think we shouldn't get too siloed into the partner for Reilly angle. Play Hanifin away from Reilly and you could ensure that one of.each was on the ice for like 90% of a playoff game.

Cowen is one of the few prospects I'd consider among the teams collection to be close to untouchable, but I'd be willing to involve Minten if an extension was involved for the player coming back
For the right player with term no non-roster players are untouchables for me although Cowan would be the last guy on my list to move. I wouldn't go all in for Hanifin though. He is not a number 1 D and is Calgary's #1 lefty by default. A good player but not a physical top 4 RD so he doesn't check all the boxes. Quality left shot guys who are more puck mover than shut down come up as FAs on a much more regular basis. No need to to blow big assets on his skill set when they have so little to spend and no cap space.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Robertson is the type of player we trade and then becomes a 30 goal scorer else where. If anything McMann emerging makes bertuzzi ependable. Trade him for picks and then use those picks plus cap space to get a dman.
That's the thing though, Robertson most likely will since he'll be given top 6 minutes and top PP minutes. He won't get that here and if he's not scoring goals then he's not doing much else. At least McMan is a big boy who can skate and is someone who doesn't need to score to be effective but he's shown scoring is never an issue with him. Got to sell high on prospects once in a while and I think Robertson is that perfect prospect to do it with.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Not at all - I think we need them both especially after watching guys like Mikheyev, Hyman, etc walk recently. These guys we can keep on cheap deals for the next 2-3 years and help us compete. The only exception I'll make is for a top pairing D, which I doubt is available barring overpayment anyway (and we're in no place to be forcing moves with the prospect and draft capital we have).
Got to sell high on prospects once in a while. Especially someone like Robertson who is the definition of a boom or bust player. He may just go on and become a 30 goal scorer somewhere else but I doubt that is here with no PP time. Obviously if I'm moving him I'd be looking for a top pair defender like Andersson if he's available.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Paying up for Hanifin now, then addressing the need for two additional RHD in the summer would be my preference, if Hanifin will wave to come to Toronto and extend. Heading into next year, the following fits under the projected cap.

Assuming the cost for Hanifin is something like...

To Calgary
Timothy Liljegren
Nick Robertson
Topi Niemela
1st round pick (2024)

Centers
1C Matthews ($13,250,000)
2C Tavares ($11,000,000)
3C Wennberg ($4,600,000)
4C Minten ($846,000)

Left Wing
1LW Knies ($925,000)
2LW Grebenkin ($850,000)
3LW McMann ($1,300,000)
4LW Holmberg ($800,000)

Right Wing
1RW Marner ($10,900,000)
2RW Nylander ($11,500,000)
3RW Jarnkrok ($2,100,000)
4RW Steeves ($850,000)

Defense
1LD Hanifin ($7,800,000)
1LD Reilly ($7,500,000)
1LD Benoit ($1,300,000)

1RD FA ($4,000,000)
2RD FA ($2,000,000)
3RD McCabe ($2,000,000)

Goalies
FA ($3,000,000)
Joseph Woll ($1,000,000)

Total: $87,621,000

The significant hurdle would be filling that #2 RHD spot for $2,000,000, but there would be other options. For example, instead of aloting $3,000,000 to a second goalie, you could go with a Woll / Hildeby youth movement for cheap, or you could sign a veteran FA for cheap. You could also get a 3C in the $3,500,000 range instead of the likes of Wennberg, and spend that extra $1,000,000 for Reilly's partner. You could also trade for a guy like Gudbranson (50% retained) and run something like...

Hanifin ($7.8) / FA ($4.0)
Rielly ($7.5) / Gudbranson ($2.0)
Benoit ($1.3) / McCabe (2.0)

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Hanafin is a lefty, so who's playing with Rielly and what's the cost going to be for Hanifin?

I'm more than willing to throw our 1st at him but I seriously doubt that's going to cut it so 1st + Minten? 1st + Cowan?

I would be if there is an extension as part of the deal. Hanifin in his prime is a perfect fit not only with the timeline. But he just makes our whole team better. If Conroy went to Treliving and said give me Cowan and a FRP and Hanifin is yours, I think it would be really dumb not to do it. He’s a legit top 4 guy

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Have a feeling we don't deal out first and end up with Dumba and one of Blackwell/Sundqvuist/Carrick/Girgensons (Forwards who can PK and have played center before)

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If we're going for a bottom 6 center, I would love Luke Kunin

Also, the latest insider trading practically confirms Noah Hanifin wants to go to a US team and will only sign long term with a team south of the border

Team to watch there is Tampa apparently

Reactions: Magic Man

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Cumulatively, Giordano, McCabe & Muzzin cost us two 1sts, three 2nds, one 3rd, Durzi & Grundstrom and 8.425 in cap space. Anteing up for 8 years of Hanifin is certainly better value than that.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Cumulatively, Giordano, McCabe & Muzzin cost us two 1sts, three 2nds, one 3rd, Durzi & Grundstrom and 8.425 in cap space. Anteing up for 8 years of Hanifin is certainly better value than that.
Or ante up next summer then for money only. Best deal of all.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga

Also, the latest insider trading practically confirms Noah Hanifin wants to go to a US team and will only sign long term with a team south of the border

Well Pagnotta might have something up your alley:

Reactions: OVO16

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

That’s what seravalli said. Cj said he wouldn’t be opposed to Toronto

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That’s what seravalli said. Cj said he wouldn’t be opposed to Toronto

If we end up trading for Hanifin it has to be with a contract in hand, no screwing around. He's obviously LHD but he's also a few years younger than Rielly and at some point the blueline could just be younger and have more upside. If you can't get a contract done, don't go for it.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If we end up trading for Hanifin it has to be with a contract in hand, no screwing around. He's obviously LHD but he's also a few years younger than Rielly and at some point the blueline could just be younger and have more upside. If you can't get a contract done, don't go for it.

Agreed. Dubas big mistake is trading for all those rentals.

What kind of player could we have got for
All 1 1 2 2 2 3 4 etc picks.

Need a player with term or an agreed extension

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Agreed. Dubas big mistake is trading for all those rentals.

What kind of player could we have got for
All 1 1 2 2 2 3 4 etc picks.

Need a player with term or an agreed extension
20-20 hindsight. Every team that wants to contend flushes assets every year and they all add up to an ugly pile eventually, and everyone but the Cup winners has to suck on that.

I would say that Kyle either underestimated the value of high end defense or he thought Rielly was going to be a lot more than he was. With all due respect to Muzzin and Brodie they were far from being number 1 D men. But if you brought a Muzz, a TJ and a McCabe all in at the same time you probably don't need a Pietrangelo. Good adds but not enough overlap of prime years.

They spend like rock stars on forwards every chance they get so there is no cap space left for a quality D man. When all-dangle Dubas finally leaves Tre says "hold my beer, I am going to make people forget Willies first contract."

They need a player that fills their biggest need, not someone who simply makes them better. This lineup isn't deep enough for that.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If you can get Kunin and Ferraro for the 1st, and add a guy like Oleksiak or Larsson for secondary pieces, that would be a tidy bit of business.

I don’t know how reputable Pagnotta is, though

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
If you can get Kunin and Ferraro for the 1st, and add a guy like Oleksiak or Larsson for secondary pieces, that would be a tidy bit of business.

I don’t know how reputable Pagnotta is, though
I doubt they will get two Dmen. Unfortunately Ferraro is a LHD so Brodie moves back to Right side which isn't great

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Leafs should only be moving a 1st rounder for quality.

8x8m?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad