Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I was just gonna come here and ask any rational and knowledgeable armchair critic what is Hannifin worth? Obviously different if you can sign him versus rental. He intrigues me.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, I'm not sure he is a realistic target. I think it will be Roy and Tanev.

I think we'd have to pay more than it sounds like Brad is comfortable with for either player.

That said, I'd be a lot more comfortable going into the postseason with either one of those guys as a partner for Rielly, with

Brodie-Liljegren
Benoit-McCabe
Giordano

as the bottom 5.

Reactions: Leaffan1991 and Roo

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
They should target Montour as a UFA if Florida lets him get to free agency.
He would be a good add too. I think most FLA fans would probably tell you Forsling is their best D, but Montour is having an off year and may not be quite as expensive as people thought at the start of the year.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He would be a good add too. I think most FLA fans would probably tell you Forsling is their best D, but Montour is having an off year and may not be quite as expensive as people thought at the start of the year.

Montour is not exactly having an off year. It’s more than his last season was a massive outlier.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Montour is not exactly having an off year. It’s more than his last season was a massive outlier.
Fair enough, he certainly hasn’t had a season like that before… but he did have offseason surgery and then got injured at the start of the year. Without a doubt though, Gustav Forsling is the key guy on that blue line.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I can see Treliving being interested in Edmundson. Seems like his type of defenseman

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hanifin + Roy with extensions would be a nice overhaul of the blue line

I'm confident in the crop of forwards the Leafs' have in the pipeline that they can allocate more money to the blue line and rely on cheap ELC's and bridge deals to round out the depth.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not necessarily, we don't know how he feels about Toronto

Treliving will likely reach out and gauge his interest in signing here. If he's willing to we should absolutely deal for him. This is our version of the Hampus Lindholm move by Boston

The Trev connection could be a big factor here. If not at the deadline, in free agency.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
The Leafs would be wise to revamp their fourth line for cheap at the deadline so they can actually play 4 lines in the playoffs.

I’d target 3 UFAs in Nashville: Smith, Trenin, Carrier.

My fear is all 3 together would cost a 1st but if the Leafs can acquire them for a collection of assets that isn’t their 1st or the top 3 prospects it would probably be worthwhile.

Something like Kampf+Tverberg+Villeneuve+3rd for Carrier+Smith+Trenin.

I’d also target 2 under the radar depth pieces: Leason and Emberson. Both can probably be had for spare parts in a 1 for 1 deal. Leason is a prototypical 4RW whose underlying numbers point to strong play driving. Emberson is playing nearly 20 minutes a game and he’s not getting snowed in on San Jose. His underlying numbers are decent and he’s only 23.

I’d offer a 3rd for Emberson and Holmberg or Timmins for Leason.

Going into the playoffs I’d run:

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Domi-Jarnkrok
Smith-Trenin-Leason
McMann

Rielly-Carrier
Brodie-Liljegren
Benoit-McCabe
Gio-Emberson

Last edited:
Reactions: The Podium

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
We could make this team much more competitive if we get out of Tavares' 11 mil contract. He is holding this team back.

Reactions: arso40

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Our biggest obstacle in the playoffs will be florida
We don’t have enough physicality to beat them at the game they play

Our defense outside of Benoit and McCabe are too soft to handle playoff hockey

Vegas won last year because they had huge defensmen who could play that physical game

We need two big dmen stay at home clear the crease and drop them if they have to

We need at least one more tough forward who can dish out punishment to guys like tkachuk cousins Bennett Lemberg etc

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
We could make this team much more competitive if we get out of Tavares' 11 mil contract. He is holding this team back.
We have to eat it for another year unfortunately. Best thing management could do is deploy Tavares as our 3C next season or top 6 LW. I don't really care what they do with the lines, but I want him far away from Nylander.

JT would be better served with the McMann/Jarnkrok types.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
What are thoughts on acquiring someone like an Anthony Duclair for to inject some additional secondary offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad