Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Hanifin + Roy with extensions would be a nice overhaul of the blue line

I'm confident in the crop of forwards the Leafs' have in the pipeline that they can allocate more money to the blue line and rely on cheap ELC's and bridge deals to round out the depth.

Massive I would say. Roy would be a great target too if the Kings are looking to move him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Unless the Kings go on another bad losing streak, I don't see them making a bold move like trading Roy. They are safely in a wild card spot with games in hand.

If and when Matt Roy makes it to free agency though, he'd be a great target.

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
There was a report that he's generating interest, which means talks aren't flat out denied but he's not necessarily on the block.
Ya I'm sure teams will call and inquire since the flames are having a bit of a fire sale. Just can't see them wanting to give him up considering he's still young and a high value asset to your team.

They already have a few good young pieces in the system with Honzek, Zary, Pelletier, Poirier and Wolf. With them loading up on picks and prospects, they could have a very quick turnaround in about 2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Anyone but Tanev… he’s going to end up being our next Muzzin. Enough of the 1st round picks for 34-35 year olds. I think Treliving is going to keep the 1st round pick and get someone on the cheap for depth

Reactions: jaric1862

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Anyone but Tanev… he’s going to end up being our next Muzzin. Enough of the 1st round picks for 34-35 year olds. I think Treliving is going to keep the 1st round pick and get someone on the cheap for depth
He needs to do more than just cheap depth. The team has a legitimate chance to win the Cup. If the right guy is available and it costs the first round pick, that is the cost of trying to win. The reality is that a 20-something first round pick isn't going to extend this franchise's window. They have this season and then the remainder of matthews' contract to win. They can rebuild after that if need be.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
He needs to do more than just cheap depth. The team has a legitimate chance to win the Cup. If the right guy is available and it costs the first round pick, that is the cost of trying to win. The reality is that a 20-something first round pick isn't going to extend this franchise's window. They have this season and then the remainder of matthews' contract to win. They can rebuild after that if need be.
I’m all for trading the FRP for someone with term I just don’t see Treliving doing it. I don’t see anyone out there other than maybe Andersson. And I’m not even sure he’s available. Hanifin is a pure rental so I wouldn’t do that either. I’m tired of rentals.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Not saying I want the 1st gone but this club will get shelled in round 1 if they try to get away with a cheap depth move. They are not as far away as some fear, provided they can get solid goaltending but the D is pretty weak. Honestly a Muzzin type would be great if there was one out there. Remember he was four years younger than Tanev is. All indications the ask for Tanev is a 2nd +. If the Leafs were to flip their 1st for Calgary's 2nd that probably does it. They say it isn't a deep draft year which is why the deals for Lindholm and Monahan were paid. And if the Flames keep selling off, their 2nd might not be far off from the guy the Leafs would take with their 1st. I want a 1st++ for a younger guy with some term but who knows what Tre is thinking.

Reactions: Evilhomer

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No more rentals. Dubas screwed us with that (I still agree with most of what he did. Not that)

Assuming we can re sign/extend

If we are in 22-32 pick range. I would do Tanev plus 2nd (42-45 ish) for 1st.

I would do Lilly and a 1st for hanafin.

I would do Lilly 1st plus maybe even Minten for Anderson.

I would do a 1st and 3rd for Murphy/larson maybe more with an extension in place.

• Haha
Reactions: sylejman and Mckay

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
David Kampf needs to go. Utterly useless and vanilla player
It's amazing how even when we look good he manages to be invisible. His worst season as a Leaf by a wide margin, Holmberg in the 4 hole all day long for me, get rid of his contract....and there will be takers.

Reactions: Kurtz

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It's amazing how even when we look good he manages to be invisible. His worst season as a Leaf by a wide margin, Holmberg in the 4 hole all day long for me, get rid of his contract....and there will be takers.
This. We should be looking to re-allocate the Kampf dollars and replace him with a minimum salary guy...maybe even get an asset in moving him.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Not saying depth moves are the way to go I just think Treliving will go that route. I’m dead against moving the FRP for a rental. Maybe someone that hasn’t been mentioned

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Unless the Kings go on another bad losing streak, I don't see them making a bold move like trading Roy. They are safely in a wild card spot with games in hand.

If and when Matt Roy makes it to free agency though, he'd be a great target.
I think he's more likely available due to the influx on the right side soon as our resident Kyle Clifford lover @KingsHockey24 has pointed out in the past.

It also makes sense tbh to get some sort of a shake up going on there. Coaching change has been done but something else is needed and leafs are primarily looking for the right hand shot. Oilers are one of the other teams too I'd imagine but Kings would rather deal with us than in the division unless they sweeten the pot beyond measure?

Reactions: SprDaVE

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Guys like Roy, Andersson etc probably aren’t even available. And I’m not willing to get Hanifin as a pure rental f*** that

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
My ideal situation would be to flip Brodie for a 2nd Round Pick, if we retain we might be able to get a 1st, then use the pick to flip it

To Toronto-
Roy

To Kings-
Pick from Brodie
Kampf
Kokkonen

Then

To Toronto-
Hanifin

To Calgary-
1st Round Pick
Niemela
Jarnkrok

Rielly-Roy
Hanifin-Liljegren
Benoit- McCabe

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
No more rentals. Dubas screwed us with that (I still agree with most of what he did. Not that)

Assuming we can re sign/extend

If we are in 22-32 pick range. I would do Tanev plus 2nd (42-45 ish) for 1st.

I would do Lilly and a 1st for hanafin.

I would do Lilly 1st plus maybe even Minten for Anderson.

I would do a 1st and 3rd for Murphy/larson maybe more with an extension in place.
The problem with this is that it adds no depth. We bring in a quality player but lose another. We don’t want to upgrade one of our D, we need to add to push everyone else down the depth chart. Hanafin is a good player, but not exactly the physical shutdown defender that we need. He brings you similar qualities as Brodie. Larsson would be a perfect add.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I think he's more likely available due to the influx on the right side soon as our resident Kyle Clifford lover @KingsHockey24 has pointed out in the past.

It also makes sense tbh to get some sort of a shake up going on there. Coaching change has been done but something else is needed and leafs are primarily looking for the right hand shot. Oilers are one of the other teams too I'd imagine but Kings would rather deal with us than in the division unless they sweeten the pot beyond measure?
Matt Roy is good as gone unless they decide to move off Jordan Spence instead. Drew Doughty and Brandt Clarke are locks at the moment on the right side.

The Leafs have been heavily scouting the Kings the last week too so who knows. Not quite sure what LA would be interested in from the Leafs though.

Samsonov has been booty cheeks, not sure if Toronto has a high pick available for Roy either and I'm sure cap would have to go back the other way. Jarnkrok?

Reactions: Leaf Rocket
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad