Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
I don't think it's impossible. Presumably you would be looking at some combination of Knies/Cowan/Minten/1st round pick. The competition to get him would be pretty significant.
Knies Cowen Minten and Grebyonkin won't be trades.

1st + Ljiligren + Robertson + Abruzzese
or
1st + Neimela + Robertson + Abruzzese

Muzzin was a 1st + Durzi + Grundstrom.

He was a similar age, salary and had 1 yr left on his deal (Andersson has 2).

There's certainly a bit of a template there.
We never gave up or top prospects

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Muzzin was a 1st + Durzi + Grundstrom.

He was a similar age, salary and had 1 yr left on his deal (Andersson has 2).

There's certainly a bit of a template there.
I didn’t like that trade then and I still don’t we gave up too much love the guy but come on

horner

May 22, 2007
I think treliving will wait till the last day of the deadline and grab a Luke schenn type of player 3rd rd pk to play with Reilly.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I can't see this team making noise this year. Don't waste assets and do a reset this summer with the cap space we'll have. We should be able to get a couple of good defenders this summer.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I can't see this team making noise this year. Don't waste assets and do a reset this summer with the cap space we'll have. We should be able to get a couple of good defenders this summer.
They have two of the best players in the league and a wide open Eastern conference. If a trade is available that makes this team better, they should do it. There is no guarantee of winning two or three years from now, so try to win today.

horner

May 22, 2007
Put pressure on the core 5 to do it.

Going all in hasn't worked before.

Vegas and Florida did nothing at the TDL last yr.

Boston had a great team then went all in and lost in the 1st rd

ELC contracts are gold for us
We need knies Cowen Minten and Grebyonkin

Minten has been a 1st 2nd or 3rd star in a 1/3rd of there games

His offensive game is just coming around.

My dream would be Cowen and minten in the Memorial Cup finals and they are the best players on both teams.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I would literally clean out whatever we have left in the cupboards if it meant getting Andersson and Hanifan. Probably a pipe dream, I’d settle for either one. But hot damn Andersson is literally thee! Guy we need on the blue line. If we could attach Hanifan or a forward to the deal empty the cupboards

horner

May 22, 2007
They have two of the best players in the league and a wide open Eastern conference. If a trade is available that makes this team better, they should do it. There is no guarantee of winning two or three years from now, so try to win today.
People keep saying it is wide open it isn't
Florida Boston TB ( Vasi ) ring a bell because that is who we have to get through.

We don't play a mistake free game they will eat us up.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
People keep saying it is wide open
Florida Boston TB ( Vasi ) ring a bell because that is who we have to get through.
I think the obsession with Vasi is more about what he used to be versus what he is now. The Leafs would beat Tampa, but I doubt it will come to that as they are unlikely to face each other in the playoffs this season. I think the Leafs would also beat Boston. They are a good match-up for Toronto because they are neither fast nor physical. I agree that Florida would be a challenge, but that's why the Leafs need to try to improve now. Florida looks like the toughest out for Toronto as I don't see any of the Metro teams beating the Leafs in a 7 game series (unless Carolina makes a splash and acquires a guy like Markstrom or Saros).

Reactions: Duffman955

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

My dream would be Cowen and minten in the Memorial Cup finals and they are the best players on both teams.
Barbashev was big for Vegas who they acquired near the deadline. But I dont think we should trade for rentals unless theyre cheap, or long term pieces for a higher price

I would literally clean out whatever we have left in the cupboards if it meant getting Andersson and Hanifan. Probably a pipe dream, I’d settle for either one. But hot damn Andersson is literally thee! Guy we need on the blue line. If we could attach Hanifan or a forward to the deal empty the cupboards
I cant even fathom what a trade for both would look like

Reactions: arso40

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

I think there is defintiely something to be said about not tinkering with your lineup too much in season because it throws off team chemistry.

Acquiring depth pieces for playoffs in case of injury is a smart move for contenders though.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I've always believed you build you're team in the summer and tinker with depth during the season. The Leafs problem is they rely so heavily on making trades that require retention that it makes it impossible. We keep bargain bin hunting or 1 year projects because the cap is so poorly allocated. Wait till the off-season shed some cap (Kampf, Reeves) and with Brodie, Bertuzzi, Domi, Samsonov money off the books then add, not now ,don't give up what little assets we have for this team, they haven't earned it!

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Barbashev was big for Vegas who they acquired near the deadline. But I dont think we should trade for rentals unless theyre cheap, or long term pieces for a higher price

Me neither lol that’s why I said it’s probably a pipe dream. I’d settle for one of them lol. But getting both you’d have to imagine both Minten and Cowan and our 1st are gone plus a guy like Brodie and Bertuzzi to make the money work

A D core of Rielly, Andersson, Hanifan, McCabe, Liljegren Benoit is legit

horner

May 22, 2007

One trade we try to rebuild our team in past deadlines.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Bargain TDL:

Rielly Lyubushkin
Brodie E.Johnson
Benoit McCabe
Gio/Lagesson

Sell Liljegren, Timmins

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Bargain TDL:

Rielly Lyubushkin
Brodie E.Johnson
Benoit McCabe
Gio/Lagesson

Sell Liljegren, Timmins
I can't help but think the next coach might get some value out of Timmins or Lilly. The other thing is what do those two return for you? I suspect Liljegren would be worth a lot more but that still may not be as much as to the Leafs. If they want someone back for more than 1 season on the RD I would imagine its Lilly or Niemela outbound.

Reactions: aingefan

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I've always believed you build you're team in the summer and tinker with depth during the season. The Leafs problem is they rely so heavily on making trades that require retention that it makes it impossible. We keep bargain bin hunting or 1 year projects because the cap is so poorly allocated. Wait till the off-season shed some cap (Kampf, Reeves) and with Brodie, Bertuzzi, Domi, Samsonov money off the books then add, not now ,don't give up what little assets we have for this team, they haven't earned it!
They haven’t earned it?

So give them nothing because TOR doesn’t deserve a chance to try another go at the playoffs?

If there is piles of cap space next season don't you think it'll be absorbed by Matthews/Nylander's new contracts? Also if the plan is to hit the UFA market, won't it be another list of new players on inflated contracts?

I'm not sure what I'd so if I were Treliving, but Toronto's stars won't be young forever. They cannot wait 4 years for 1st round picks to emerge and become impact players.

Reactions: Sypher04

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
1st + Robertson + Timmins/Niemela for Rasmus Andersson would be amazing if we could pull it off.
RA is their #1 D. There is no way they let him go, especially when they are losing Tanev and Hanifin this year. That would lead them down a dark hole trying to rebuild their D. Plus the jewel in the Lindholm trade was a smallish offensively gifted right shot D. A non starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad