Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Why would they trade Pelech though? Their LD is a bit suspect if he was moved.
Lots of Islanders fans are actually thinking he will be moved. What I've gathered from more then a few interactions with them is Dobson, Pulock, and Romanov is who they would like to keep while giving bolduc more ice to gain experience. They would obviously want a solid forward in the deal for Pelech.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
It's forgivable.

Similar to Toews and Kane...they got the big pay days and they brought you 3 cups...the last contract isn't the best but they brought your franchise glory.

I'd probably look at that Nylander extension with a lot of love if he was a big part of bringing a cup home but as it is, we have won a playoff round and his deal is not likely to be good on the back end of it....

from a fans perspective I agree with you all day, but that doesn't mean once he got his big payday he will not have provided value for his deal. showing once again that signing a goalie to a big long term contract probably isn't ideal.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Lots of Islanders fans are actually thinking he will be moved. What I've gathered from more then a few interactions with them is Dobson, Pulock, and Romanov is who they would like to keep while giving bolduc more ice to gain experience. They would obviously want a solid forward in the deal for Pelech.

I'd be curious on the cost to acquire him - if it was reasonable, I would do it but not sure NYI would deal a player to us.

Getting someone like Engvall for a 3rd round pick isn't a big deal but yea...I feel like there is bad blood that might make it a tough transaction

from a fans perspective I agree with you all day, but that doesn't mean once he got his big payday he will not have provided value for his deal. showing once again that signing a goalie to a big long term contract probably isn't ideal.

100% - I am not a big advocate for large goalie contracts. Carey Price was the best goalie in the world and probably got 3M more per year than I would have given him.

I think if you can keep it to 5-7.5M range for the right age of their careers, it's fine.

With Vas....he gave you 2 cups...you know the contract isn't going to age the best but you know his number is being retired.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'd be curious on the cost to acquire him - if it was reasonable, I would do it but not sure NYI would deal a player to us.

Getting someone like Engvall for a 3rd round pick isn't a big deal but yea...I feel like there is bad blood that might make it a tough transaction

100% - I am not a big advocate for large goalie contracts. Carey Price was the best goalie in the world and probably got 3M more per year than I would have given him.

I think if you can keep it to 5-7.5M range for the right age of their careers, it's fine.

With Vas....he gave you 2 cups...you know the contract isn't going to age the best but you know his number is being retired.

Even Vasi, his first cup was before the contract kicked in and the second cup was 9.5 mil over the cap ceiling. With Vasi and Kucherov at full cap hit they had to dump all their middle class players that put in a lot of work in those cup runs.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Tavares will always have a soft spot in my heart for coming home (fans have always dreamed of something like this happening) but his 2nd contract needs to be an absolute win for us money wise.. Either he accepts a low # to help us out, or he can move his family at age 34 somewhere else. Theres no reason why Toronto can’t win that deal.
Leafs will have the leverage at that point. If he wants more 2 x $3m, cut him loose.

Reactions: ToneDog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Even Vasi, his first cup was before the contract kicked in and the second cup was 9.5 mil over the cap ceiling. With Vasi and Kucherov at full cap hit they had to dump all their middle class players that put in a lot of work in those cup runs.

Kane and Toews also didn't have their 10.5M kick in until have the 3rd cup.

It's not the best situation but when someone gives you 2-3 cups, you say thanks.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Weegar
Hronek
Chychrun (half step worse but younger)
Lindholm
Jones
Hamilton
Towes
McDonagh
Muzzin

Then there’s the next tier down with guys line Gavrikov, Provorov, Marino, Siegenthaler, Larrson

#2-3 defensemen in their mid-late 20s really are not that uncommon or expensive, I don’t know why we have to have the same song and dance about how if we don’t pick up the flavor of the deadline we’ll never have a chance to ever get one again. Hanifin isn’t even the best mid-20s defenseman the Flames have acquired, both Hamilton and Weegar are comfortably better.
McDonagh and Muzzin were 30 when traded and Toews was not an established top pairing D when the Isles traded him. I'm also dubious about Hronek away from Hughes, but you are right about Jones, Weegar, Hamilton, Lindholm and Chychrun. Still, the thing that is important to consider is not all of these players were willing to sign in Toronto, Hanifin may not even be. Hence the need to be aggressive IMO.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Kane and Toews also didn't have their 10.5M kick in until have the 3rd cup.

It's not the best situation but when someone gives you 2-3 cups, you say thanks.

Yeah that’s fine I just wouldn’t use him as an example of a big money goalie winning a cup as a template for other teams to follow. He had 0 cups when he signed that deal unlike Kane and Towes. Still I’m not saying it’s a necessarily bad deal but you only get in the position to sign Vasi to that contract when you draft and develop one in the first place.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Jenner would be a nice acquisition, but the cost would be incredibly high. We don't really have the assets to address our D, and then pick up a Jenner too. I mean, not unless we are moving a Core 4... and even then, Columbus's biggest need would be C, and we'd be subtracting from that, not adding for them.

Yep. I like Jenner (wish the Leafs had taken him way back in '11 than Biggs) but his value is definitely a lot higher to the Jackets than his on ice value tangibly is. A bad formula for an overpayment situation that's best avoided

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Maybe, I doubt it.
With the Leafs you must always doubt it. Its amazing the amount of playoff revenue they have lost over the decades and yet they just dont seem to care and fake it every year. I still remember the ceo saying " Dont worry we will win a cup." Now look at us. No one thinks they can even win 2 rounds.

horner

May 22, 2007
Yep. I like Jenner (wish the Leafs had taken him way back in '11 than Biggs) but his value is definitely a lot higher to the Jackets than his on ice value tangibly is. A bad formula for an overpayment situation that's best avoided
Then he would get hurt if we picked him up.
Folingo got hurt
OReully got hurt

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Walker would be a really good fit but yeah, I can't see the Leafs being able to land him or Carrier with what they have to offer, and I'm not sure any of the prospects available (Kokkonen, Hirvonen, Steeves, Abruzzese, Petruzelli) have enough value compared to a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I think more than we're willing to pay. I'd value him more than Sean Monahan, who just returned a 1st.
Shit. OK back to the drawing board. Thought I was onto something.

Arizona would definitely be a team that could help us out (for a change).

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
We’re going to be able to get one of those RHD with a couple 3rds. There’s just not enough suitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad