Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Commit to fixing the defense and pool all assets/cap necessary to do that.

We’re going to look back on an era with 4x elite forwards and think - how obvious was it to just focus all efforts and resources on building a strong blue line with the remaining pieces. Too many half measures and band aid fixes on the back end over the past 8 ish years.

The secondary scoring issue shouldn’t even be discussed until the above is taken care of.
Agreed

I have to ask, what type of D-man does Toronto need?
Right shot defensive dman I the cheapest option for the least would be peeke get him and re tool in the off season we have money to find riellys actual partner if they don’t fit

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I have to ask, what type of D-man does Toronto need?
Competent

But ideally one defensively orientated top pair RD and another top 4 who shoots either side that can move a puck, with term

Not asking for much 🤣

I notice you guys have Carrier and Fabbro over there, you guys selling and if you are what's the cost and where would those two line up ideally?

Reactions: arso40

Scion

May 25, 2012
I can't overstate this enough. IF Hanifin is available and willing to resign here the Leafs should move heaven and earth to make it happen.. 27 year old top pairing D don't come around often and it is the biggest organizational need. Who cares if he is a LD we aren't exactly loaded on either side.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I can't overstate this enough. IF Hanifin is available and willing to resign here the Leafs should move heaven and earth to make it happen.. 27 year old top pairing D don't come around often and it is the biggest organizational need. Who cares if he is a LD we aren't exactly loaded on either side.

There’s been a mid-late 20s Hanifin calibre D moved every year for a decade, he’s not a unicorn.

horner

May 22, 2007
So, Frank wants us to blow our load and strip our assets to bring in another LHD while simultaneously trading our only RHD prospect in the process?

Taken on its own, that’s a tough pill to swallow. He’s leaving us with Liljegren as our only everyday day true RHD, Timmins who Keefe won’t play, and a UFA left handed Brodie who already has shown decline.

What is the rest of Franks plan? Resign Brodie to continue to get worse? Target a UFA RHD after paying $15m to 1ALHD and 1BLHD between Rielly and Hanifin?

Taken as it is with no additional details, it’s very shortsighted.

Knowing Frank , pure click bait crap.

I would certainly not be against acquiring a number one goalie, but I don't think it's something the team will pursue.
Build a rock solid D first in the next 2 yrs.
Simplify our game
After next season JT will be gone
Marner see if we can trade him if not let him walk very good player but to many giveaways.

That will free up 24 mil to build a team

Reactions: Bluebear

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Build a rock solid D first in the next 2 yrs.
Simplify our game
After next season JT will be gone
Marner see if we can trade him if not let him walk very good player but to many giveaways.

That will free up 24 mil to build a team
I know people love to say it, but the Leafs aren't moving Marner or letting him leave as a free agent. He will resign here. I am certain Tavares will also resign, and in that case it will just be a matter of how much money he is willing to leave on the table in order to stay in Toronto.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I know people love to say it, but the Leafs aren't moving Marner or letting him leave as a free agent. He will resign here. I am certain Tavares will also resign, and in that case it will just be a matter of how much money he is willing to leave on the table in order to stay in Toronto.
You have no idea what the clowns at MLSEL will do with Marner. If he and the team get bounced in round #1, how can you justify paying this guy more that Nylander and run them back again. That is the true definition of insanity.

Tell you one thing, if they exit quickly and they resign him with a number that starts with an 11, it will further prove winning is not #1 here. And if you do not believe me, God bless you and your faith.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Tell you one thing, if they exit quickly and they resign him with a number that starts with an 11, it will further proof winning is not #1 here.
It's going to start with more than an 11, and it will be proof of the exact opposite - that they care more about winning than appeasing the vocal minority trying to sabotage the team for their feelings.

Reactions: notdoneyet

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
What would you say makes a goalie with a long history of success like Saros, "voodoo"?
Because a goalies' prime is like a 5-6 year span at best in most cases. Look at guys like Price and Vasi. Had an amazing few years and then started showing some serious decline. Saros could come here and not be an upgrade at all. He even has a .903sv% this year.

The days of guys like Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Belfour being elite for 90% of their career are over.

We have too many issues to spend assets on a goalie. To me that's like putting a bandaid on the titanic. Spending assets on stacking the defense is more important imo.

horner

May 22, 2007
It's to bad because it means there is no Cup coming here.
I love marner but he has no clue how to simplify his game in the playoffs.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Because a goalies' prime is like a 5-6 year span at best in most cases. Look at guys like Price and Vasi. Had an amazing few years and then started showing some serious decline. Saros could come here and not be an upgrade at all. He even has a .903sv% this year.

The days of guys like Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Belfour being elite for 90% of their career are over.

We have too many issues to spend assets on a goalie. To me that's like putting a bandaid on the titanic. Spending assets on stacking the defense is more important imo.
Yeah, Saros has been one of the few elite goalies in the league over the past few years, but he's been a below average goalie this year (-4.5 GSAx), and who knows if that's a blip, or his peak is over. Saros was always a bit of an outlier as a goalie at his size. Risky to spend a lot of assets on something that could end as a liability.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Yeah, Saros has been one of the few elite goalies in the league over the past few years, but he's been a below average goalie this year (-4.5 GSAx), and who knows if that's a blip, or his peak is over. Saros was always a bit of an outlier as a goalie at his size. Risky to spend a lot of assets on something that could end as a liability.

And you know Nashville is looking at cashing in big, similar to what the Ducks have been trying to do with Gibson. Seems like the package they'd want for Saros would be enormous. I think many teams have learned a lot over the years that spending a ton of assets or cap space on goaltenders is just not the way to go.

The last few goaltenders that were traded for a high price: Kuemper (retained) for a 1st, 3rd and Timmins. Andersen for a 1st and 2nd, Martin Jones for a 1st and Kuraly, Lehner for a 1st, Schneider for a top 10 1st rounder, Varlamov for a 1st and 2nd. You have a bunch of other goaltenders traded for a couple 2nds and mediocre packages, most of them really hit or miss.

Kuemper worked for the Avs but they probably could have had any other NHL goaltender and they would have won. Kuemper since that season has been very average to bad all within 3 seasons since winning the cup.

Meanwhile, Adan Hill was traded for a 4th round pick and was the starter for the Golden Knights in their cup run.

Last edited:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
It's to bad because it means there is no Cup coming here.
I love marner but he has no clue how to simplify his game in the playoffs.
I’m sure he can play to the game plan if his coach enforces it also he needs to reduce the big guns toi it’s a team game play the other players we saw they can play

Reactions: horner

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So one thing that came to mind in the aftermath of Kekelainen getting fired in CBJ is that Davidson might not be as married to any roster as he's just gotta do what's best for the team at this point. A guy like Jenner may in fact be available now for a realistic trade versus an overpayment.

I think after the Babcock fall out, they needed to make the playoffs for Kekelainen to keep his job, they're not going to make it, ownership got pissed off and now Davidson's job is to basically try to do what's best for the roster in the short/long term.

Reactions: Scion

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So one thing that came to mind in the aftermath of Kekelainen getting fired in CBJ is that Davidson might not be as married to any roster as he's just gotta do what's best for the team at this point. A guy like Jenner may in fact be available now for a realistic trade versus an overpayment.

I think after the Babcock fall out, they needed to make the playoffs for Kekelainen to keep his job, they're not going to make it, ownership got pissed off and now Davidson's job is to basically try to do what's best for the roster in the short/long term.
Jenner would be a nice acquisition, but the cost would be incredibly high. We don't really have the assets to address our D, and then pick up a Jenner too. I mean, not unless we are moving a Core 4... and even then, Columbus's biggest need would be C, and we'd be subtracting from that, not adding for them.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
And you know Nashville is looking at cashing in big, similar to what the Ducks have been trying to do with Gibson. Seems like the package they'd want for Saros would be enormous. I think many teams have learned a lot over the years that spending a ton of assets or cap space on goaltenders is just not the way to go.

The last few goaltenders that were traded for a high price: Kuemper (retained) for a 1st, 3rd and Timmins. Andersen for a 1st and 2nd, Martin Jones for a 1st and Kuraly, Lehner for a 1st, Schneider for a top 10 1st rounder, Varlamov for a 1st and 2nd. You have a bunch of other goaltenders traded for a couple 2nds and mediocre packages, most of them really hit or miss.

Kuemper worked for the Avs but they probably could have had any other NHL goaltender and they would have won. Kuemper since that season has been very average to bad all within 3 seasons since winning the cup.

Meanwhile, Adan Hill was traded for a 4th round pick and was the starter for the Golden Knights in their cup run.

Price 10.5 million hasn't played in a while

Bobrovski 10 million for 907 Save percentage under this contract

Vasilevskiy 9.5 did win cup in first year but Kucherov didn't play allowing that team to be so much better then it would have been 917 save percentage under this contract

Gibson 6.4 million 902 save percentage under this contract tho I give him a bit of a break playing on a terrible team

Matt Murray 6.25 million no explaination needed
Hellebuyck 6.12 million 917 save percentage I think this was probably good value
Binnington 6 million for 900 save percentage under this contract
Markstrom 6 million 906 save percentage under this contract
Grubauer 5.9 million for 891 save percentage under this contract
Shesterkin 5.6 million 920 save percentage under this contract

these are currently the top 10 goalie's in terms of cap hit. how many of these guys have been worth the contract given? 2? maybe 3? and the next guys in line are Merlikins Jarry Kuemper Campbell and Lehner so it just goes to show spending money on a big name goalie hasn't really paid off for hardly anyone.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Jenner would be a nice acquisition, but the cost would be incredibly high. We don't really have the assets to address our D, and then pick up a Jenner too. I mean, not unless we are moving a Core 4... and even then, Columbus's biggest need would be C, and we'd be subtracting from that, not adding for them.

I wonder if the cost comes down if we take Peeke off their hands?

The other thing with Jenner is, he's a nice 3rd line centre...if you can't get him for a good price....maybe Kevin Hayes from the Blues is available? Blues paid a 6th in the off-season for him. Would they take a 5th now?

horner

May 22, 2007
Price 10.5 million hasn't played in a while

Bobrovski 10 million for 907 Save percentage under this contract

Vasilevskiy 9.5 did win cup in first year but Kucherov didn't play allowing that team to be so much better then it would have been 917 save percentage under this contract

Gibson 6.4 million 902 save percentage under this contract tho I give him a bit of a break playing on a terrible team

Matt Murray 6.25 million no explaination needed
Hellebuyck 6.12 million 917 save percentage I think this was probably good value
Binnington 6 million for 900 save percentage under this contract
Markstrom 6 million 906 save percentage under this contract
Grubauer 5.9 million for 891 save percentage under this contract
Shesterkin 5.6 million 920 save percentage under this contract

these are currently the top 10 goalie's in terms of cap hit. how many of these guys have been worth the contract given? 2? maybe 3? and the next guys in line are Merlikins Jarry Kuemper Campbell and Lehner so it just goes to show spending money on a big name goalie hasn't really paid off for hardly anyone.
Build a top defense and play the right way

Mmmmm Vegas plays that way .

Hill was nothing until he showed up in Vegas

Reactions: -DeMo-

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Davidson was part of the regime that created their mess. He's got a ton of experience though, so I wouldn't expect any sort of big shift in philosophy quite yet.

They'll sell as many of the pending UFAs, probably hope to dump some crappy/secondary contracts and shift their focus for next season.

I'd be shocked if they traded Jenner or a "core" player before the deadline.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
John Davidson was named president of Columbus in 2012 I think it might be time for him to move along aswell, people here call for Shanahan to be fired Davidson has much worst results in alot more seasons.

Edit: sorry I guess he left for 2 years in the middle of that stretch but still point is valid imo

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Davidson was part of the regime that created their mess. He's got a ton of experience though, so I wouldn't expect any sort of big shift in philosophy quite yet.

They'll sell as many of the pending UFAs, probably hope to dump some crappy/secondary contracts and shift their focus for next season.

I'd be shocked if they traded Jenner or a "core" player before the deadline.

They actually only have 1 pending UFA (Roslovic)

They have several pending RFA’s

Reactions: SprDaVE

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wonder if the cost comes down if we take Peeke off their hands?

The other thing with Jenner is, he's a nice 3rd line centre...if you can't get him for a good price....maybe Kevin Hayes from the Blues is available? Blues paid a 6th in the off-season for him. Would they take a 5th now?

If they were willing to move Peeke as a negative asset, he would have been moved already. Adding him doesn't reduce the price IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad