Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Frank Seravalli proposed the following deal today:

To Toronto: Noah Hanifin, Andrew Mangiapane (50% retained)
To Calgary: 2024 1st Rd Pick, NYI 2024 3rd Rd Pick, CGY 2024 5th Rd Pick, Ryan Reaves, Nick Robertson, Topi Niemela

Would be a huge deal, I've been a fan of Mangiapane for a while and would love him here along with Hanifin.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

To Calgary: 2024 1st Rd Pick, NYI 2024 3rd Rd Pick, CGY 2024 5th Rd Pick, Ryan Reaves, Nick Robertson, Topi Niemela

Would be a huge deal, I've been a fan of Mangiapane for a while and would love him here along with Hanifin.
If that is the best that Calgary can do....yikes.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Would absolutely love to acquire Saros, depending on the cost of course. It would really solidify our goaltending for years to come.

💯

Nashville also has some depth players that could be useful.

If Dante Fabbro is cheap, he’d be a decent depth RD.

Yakov Trenin is the kind of aggressive winger we want in the bottom 6.

Colton Sissons would be a pretty solid 3C for us.

Reactions: Sypher04

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011

I assume this is not including a Hanifin extension? If so… YIKES

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

That seems kinda fair and it only works if Hanifin is re-signed, which he'd be at that point I guess. I'd rather Weegar or Andersson over Hanifin in this deal personally but they don't appear to be available. Mangiapane is very underrated.

But this is also over the cap by about ~3M -- so a cap dump will need to happen.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That seems kinda fair and it only works if Hanifin is re-signed, which he'd be at that point I guess. I'd rather Weegar or Andersson over Hanifin in this deal personally but they don't appear to be available. Mangiapane is very underrated.

But this is also over the cap by about ~3M -- so a cap dump will need to happen.
gillooly

In all seriousness Brodie's contract.

Last edited:

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013

If we could extend Hanifin, I would do it instantly. Mangipane is very good as well.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

So, Frank wants us to blow our load and strip our assets to bring in another LHD while simultaneously trading our only RHD prospect in the process?

Taken on its own, that’s a tough pill to swallow. He’s leaving us with Liljegren as our only everyday day true RHD, Timmins who Keefe won’t play, and a UFA left handed Brodie who already has shown decline.

What is the rest of Franks plan? Resign Brodie to continue to get worse? Target a UFA RHD after paying $15m to 1ALHD and 1BLHD between Rielly and Hanifin?

Taken as it is with no additional details, it’s very shortsighted.

Knowing Frank , pure click bait crap.

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Marner = NMC
He may very well have a NMC but if or when we have a major management change in April/May they will want to dump someone and the pressure may go on Marner if he sucks in the playoffs. I think once we shift away from Shanahan the focus will go on actually winning a cup instead of pretending.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Saros would cost a lot and goalies are voodoo.

But he provides top 5 calibre goaltending which can be a playoff series stealer.

And he’ll be 29 in April, signed for 2 more seasons. Likely gets $8.5-9 mill on his next deal.

There’s some temptation there

What would you say makes a goalie with a long history of success like Saros, "voodoo"?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So, Frank wants us to blow our load and strip our assets to bring in another LHD while simultaneously trading our only RHD prospect in the process?

Taken on its own, that’s a tough pill to swallow. He’s leaving us with Liljegren as our only everyday day true RHD, Timmins who Keefe won’t play, and a UFA left handed Brodie who already has shown decline.

What is the rest of Franks plan? Resign Brodie to continue to get worse? Target a UFA RHD after paying $15m to 1ALHD and 1BLHD between Rielly and Hanifin?

Taken as it is with no additional details, it’s very shortsighted.

Knowing Frank , pure click bait crap.

It wasn't really anything other than an opinion and for fun from what I gather.

I think at the end of the day, the Leafs could probably increase the quality on defense regardless of handedness, hope it provides enough to go far in the playoffs, and re-assess in the off-season. By that I mean, Brodie is likely gone, as well as Giordano. McCabe moves into a RD Brodie role probably, Leafs target a RHD and voila. It could look something like:

Hanifin - McCabe
Rielly - UFA RHD
Benoit - Liljegren

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Keefe’s system, lol

Ok, but let's get real here for a minute. Look at our goaltenders for the last decade plus. Samsonov was nearly out of the league before we signed him. Wall can't stay healthy for 2 minutes. Campbell isn't even in the league anymore. Freddy was an average goalie and before him we've had mediocrity every year.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the last time we went on a serious run we had a top-5 goalie in net in Eddie?

Reactions: Buds17 and TMLAM34

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

I think at the end of the day, the Leafs could probably increase the quality on defense regardless of handedness, hope it provides enough to go far in the playoffs, and re-assess in the off-season. By that I mean, Brodie is likely gone, as well as Giordano. McCabe moves into a RD Brodie role probably, Leafs target a RHD and voila. It could look something like:

Hanifin - McCabe
Rielly - UFA RHD
Benoit - Liljegren

I would not trust McCabe on a shut-down pairing. He's good with Benoit as a 3rd pair, but he really struggles when asked to do more.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Ok, but let's get real here for a minute. Look at our goaltenders for the last decade plus. Samsonov was nearly out of the league before we signed him. Wall can't stay healthy for 2 minutes. Campbell isn't even in the league anymore. Freddy was an average goalie and before him we've had mediocrity every year.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the last time we went on a serious run we had a top-5 goalie in net in Eddie?
I was kidding.

Saros will be amazing addition. And would work great as he still got two years and will mentor Woll.

Also, beside the Columbus series, I don’t think our boys ever had a goalie that is better than the opposing team.

Reactions: Kurtz

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He may very well have a NMC but if or when we have a major management change in April/May they will want to dump someone and the pressure may go on Marner if he sucks in the playoffs. I think once we shift away from Shanahan the focus will go on actually winning a cup instead of pretending.
Maybe, I doubt it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Hanifin - McCabe
Rielly - UFA RHD
Benoit - Liljegren

Frank's big volume trade package for Hanifin looks a little like what Boston did with Hampus Lindholm a couple of years ago, but I don't know if Robertson and Niemela in the same deal is overkill. The whole Mangiapane part isn't required either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad