Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They are gearing up for next season. The goal would be to acquire and re-sign, similar to their interest in Chris Tanev.
I guess, seems like a waste of assets though. Take your shot in the summer if you want the player, it's doubtful he'll be huge demand.

Reactions: Buds17

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I guess, seems like a waste of assets though. Take your shot in the summer if you want the player, it's doubtful he'll be huge demand.
I don't think he'll cost a great deal. Ottawa has plenty of picks, and they probably try and move Chychrun before the deadline, so he'd fill that spot for them. They'll get more for Chychrun, than the cost to acquire Dumba.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think he'll cost a great deal. Ottawa has plenty of picks, and they probably try and move Chychrun before the deadline, so he'd fill that spot for them. They'll get more for Chychrun, than the cost to acquire Dumba.
If the Leafs were in the Sens position I certainly wouldn't like the move, I doubt many would.

Reactions: Buds17

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Is it just me or does that make no sense?
I don't really know enough, but I wouldn't have guessed he fits this ...

With the March 8 trade deadline two months away and their playoff hopes all but gone, GM-president of hockey operations Steve Staios is expected to become a seller in the coming weeks. However, the Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch reported on Dec. 31 that Staios also wants to add some veteran toughness and leadership to his roster.

Six days later, Garrioch indicated Staios remained in the market for veteran help. The Senators GM is seeking a third-line forward who could help alternate captain Claude Giroux as a leader for the club's young players.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Perhaps they want him so they can move other players and simply walk away, own rental scenario for different reason?

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Another play making forward that can't seem to score enough. He's pretty solid but I don't understand the need for the assets it'll take and what he'll ask on his next contract.

I really don't think we're good trading partners at all.

If the Leafs are scouting the Sabres, it might be looking at Erik Johnson or maybe Connor Clifton on D or Girgensons for a forward. None of those options are... good.
I hear what you’re saying. However, we are about to have a massive hole at Center. If he could come at a discount I would be all over that.

It certainly would depend on the price though.

I am really liking what I see from Holmberg lately. Hope that he stays in the lineup.

However, I’d like us to get a bigger bottom 6 forward to dump Gregor out of the lineup.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I hear what you’re saying. However, we are about to have a massive hole at Center. If he could come at a discount I would be all over that.

It certainly would depend on the price though.

I am really liking what I see from Holmberg lately. Hope that he stays in the lineup.

However, I’d like us to get a bigger bottom 6 forward to dump Gregor out of the lineup.

I don't think the Leafs need to go out and get a player like him to plug their center position, especially at the 3rd line level. His next contract will be very hard to get done as well for next season -- the primary reason he's apparently potentially even available.

Gregor is fine for what he is. He's cheap and adds speed, something we lack sometimes.

I do think the Leafs could use an upgrade on the 3rd line, mainly a center. Domi is fine I guess but they definitely need a lot more urgency there. But it doesn't have to be someone they have to empty the cupboards for either.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I don't think the Leafs need to go out and get a player like him to plug their center position, especially at the 3rd line level. His next contract will be very hard to get done as well for next season -- the primary reason he's apparently potentially even available.

Gregor is fine for what he is. He's cheap and adds speed, something we lack sometimes.

I do think the Leafs could use an upgrade on the 3rd line, mainly a center. Domi is fine I guess but they definitely need a lot more urgency there. But it doesn't have to be someone they have to empty the cupboards for either.

Keiffer Bellows looks like he's outproducing Max Comtois in the AHL right now by a few points.... but Max has over 80 PIMs compared to Keiffer's 22 PIMS. Max spends a lot more time in the box. All else being equal, and I'm not the first to say this, but if we are looking for someone who could slot bottom-6, play a "heavy" role, and probably outperform Reaves, Comtois may be a good option.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Being a speedy player on a cheap ticket only goes so far though, and the fourth line has unfortunately looked like a liability far too often IMO. The RFA time left and ongoing season are reasons to not necessarily write Gregor off and out just yet. However, I can't help but wonder if a fourth line of McMann-Kampf-Holmberg is the best bet moving forward? This of course assumes that McMann is to be re-signed and Kampf can rebound or is too difficult to move (NTC or potentially having to attach a sweetener to trade him).

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

Ohh noooo... what a shame.

1707934670162.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad