Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If you added a fast skater who can get the puck out on that line maybe you can get away with it, but we chose to get rid of Lafferty, and don't really have anyone to replace him with.
Those kinds of guys are literally a dime a dozen, much like Lafferty himself. That is not something that will be difficult to replace.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I never realized Peeke was getting healthy scratched. I thought people were crazy saying he was available over some of the others on their defence. We should be all over that.

Reactions: Kurtz

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm not seeing much of a fit for Peeke on our blueline. I wouldn't be interested in moving Liljegren or Klingberg, and I also think he'd be playing too high up in the lineup as a complement to Rielly.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not seeing much of a fit for Peeke on our blueline. I wouldn't be interested in moving Liljegren or Klingberg, and I also think he'd be playing too high up in the lineup as a complement to Rielly.

On paper he'd play instead of Giordano but Giordano isn't gonna sit out for long periods if healthy.

Peeke doesn't really fit all that well and to suggest he'd be a good fit to play top 4 minutes is a stretch. The Leafs would also need to be money in/out to make it work... and there ain't much I would give up for him. Kampf would really be the highest I'd go.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
On paper he'd play instead of Giordano but Giordano isn't gonna sit out for long periods if healthy.

Peeke doesn't really fit all that well and to suggest he'd be a good fit to play top 4 minutes is a stretch. The Leafs would also need to be money in/out to make it work... and there ain't much I would give up for him.
That'd likely position the left side D quite nicely. Unfortunately, I'd still prefer Brodie to line up alongside Rielly more than I would any of the natural RHD.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Proposal I posted on the main boards..

To Islanders - William Nylander, TJ Brodie, Leafs 1st rounder (2024)
To Leafs - JG Pageau, Noah Dobson, Alex Romanov

Salary in/salary out hockey trade...

- Leafs get two top young D
- Islanders get a sniper and a puck mover to offset the losses

View attachment 755304
In what world is Romanov a top young D? Like are you ok? Nylander is far and away the best player in this deal and you want to add a first?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Peake played 21 minutes/night for CBJ the past 2 years and got significant defensive zone starts. I don't imagine that he's suddenly going from that to zero - likely he's nursing an injury or is being scratched for a trade.

I won't pretend that I've paid much attention to him, but his profile is a lot like a younger Schenn. That type of guy Morgan likes on his pairing. Would allow us to slot Mccabe with Lil and Brodie with Klinberg. That's a nicely balanced top 6.

But I'm not sure how we create the cap.

Last edited:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Peake played 21 minutes/night for CBJ the past 2 years and got significant defensive zone starts. I don't imagine that he's suddenly going from that to zero - likely he's nursing an injury or is being scratched for a trade.

I won't pretend that I've paid much attention to him, but his profile is a lot like a younger Schenn. That type of guy Morgan likes on his pairing. Would allow us to slot Mccabe with Lil and Brodie with Klinberg. That's a nicely balanced top 6.

McCabe maybe?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

They had bad depth and likely overplayed him. Those were not good CBJ teams for a reason. They went out to grab so many players on top of him over the last couple years.

In 2021-2022, he was 3rd in TOI/G. In 2022-2023 he was fourth in TOI/G (and a minus 41). Both those teams were pretty bad, especially last year. They went out to grab Provorov and Severson for this season, even after giving him a 4 year contract. It's rather bizarre CBJ keeps pushing him down the depth chart and out of the lineup.

Maybe he needs a fresh start or something. I don't see it though and it's quite the stretch to me.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Another few starts like that and we gotta flip the page on Samsonov, Jones can give you that type of goaltending for significantly less.

Calgary for a deal around Vladar (2 years vs Samsonov 1)

or LAK - they might be willing to gamble on Samsonov but would likely need to find a home for Arvidsson. I think Nashville would take Arvidsson for the year, they were sniffing around on Garland prior to the Schenn injury.

Copley+2025 4th for Samsonov and a 7th this year? Demote Copley, promote Jones

Obviously we'd need to see more from Woll too but I haven't like Samsonov's game going back to training camp and he's been hot garbage this year.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Another few starts like that and we gotta flip the page on Samsonov, Jones can give you that type of goaltending for significantly less.

Calgary for a deal around Vladar (2 years vs Samsonov 1)

or LAK - they might be willing to gamble on Samsonov but would likely need to find a home for Arvidsson. I think Nashville would take Arvidsson for the year, they were sniffing around on Garland prior to the Schenn injury.

Copley+2025 4th for Samsonov and a 7th this year? Demote Copley, promote Jones

Obviously we'd need to see more from Woll too but I haven't like Samsonov's game going back to training camp and he's been hot garbage this year.
What GM wants "hot garbage" without a sweetener?

Reactions: rumman

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don’t think you can dump Samsonov just yet. It’s still very early and given Woll’s previous injury history moving Samsonov so soon could become a disaster real quick. If Woll keeps playing like this at the 25 game mark, I’d revisit the idea of moving Samsonov then but not at the 5 game mark.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
The following assets can be traded and replaced internally
Samsanov 3.5 for Jones 875
Janrok. 2.1 for Robertson/McMann 790
Kampf 2.4 for holmberg 800

Use the extra 5.6 to get a decent dman

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The following assets can be traded and replaced internally
Samsanov 3.5 for Jones 875
Janrok. 2.1 for Robertson/McMann 790
Kampf 2.4 for holmberg 800

Use the extra 5.6 to get a decent dman

Jarnkrok is exceeding his contract value. Not sure that's really wise. Samsonov has sucked but he was good last season for the most part, he won't be the first or last goaltender to go through a tough patch. If Woll keeps outplaying him though, then for sure he's part of the cut list.

Kampf is really the one player that is very replaceable. I was fine with re-signing him considering everything but he really needs to step it up.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Jarnkrok is exceeding his contract value. Not sure that's really wise. Samsonov has sucked but he was good last season for the most part, he won't be the first or last goaltender to go through a tough patch. If Woll keeps outplaying him though, then for sure he's part of the cut list.

Kampf is really the one player that is very replaceable. I was fine with re-signing him considering everything but he really needs to step it up.

I think Jarnkrok is a nice little regular season player but pretty underwhelming in the playoffs a few years now.

We do need his speed so maybe there is an opportunity later to make a switch but definitely if the trend continues in the next 5-10 games, Samsonov and Kampf are going to have eyes on them.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland

Janrok may be exceeding his cap hit but only when he plays in the top six. 2.1 vs 800k for someone doing the same thing
We need defense not a 2.1 forward who can be replaced

Reactions: horner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad