Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Former 1st round pick, good local kid from good family. Gotta be better than at least 1 forward on the Marlies. Worth the gamble if he is not claimed ahead of us.

He has to stick on the Leafs, can’t go to the Marlies .. who does he take out of the line up?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He has to stick on the Leafs, can’t go to the Marlies .. who does he take out of the line up?
Minten will probably be sent down soon. Foudy has got to have a higher ceiling than Gregor. Not sure what the deal is with Columbus. Roslovic is also on the block there.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Proposal I posted on the main boards..

To Islanders - William Nylander, TJ Brodie, Leafs 1st rounder (2024)
To Leafs - JG Pageau, Noah Dobson, Alex Romanov

Salary in/salary out hockey trade...

- Leafs get two top young D
- Islanders get a sniper and a puck mover to offset the losses

View attachment 755304
this is the type of trade needed, improve the team and balance the cap distribution. You don't necessarily have to win the trade to improve your team...........

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Depends, if you work with Nylander and trade him to a destination he’s willing to sign an extension with it shouldn’t hurt his trade value.
Quoting myself because I’d rather re-sign Nylander than trade him.

We have a lot of other dead weight in Domi (3), Brodie (5), Klingberg (4), Kampf (2.4), etc that we can move to open up cap space if need be to improve other areas.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
At this point you let Kling/Bert/Domi walk and re-sign Nylander. Hope Minten and/or Cowan, Robertson, someone else is able to fill the roles.

Reactions: supermann_98

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Feels like this team doesn’t have a very stable foundation. It’s oscillating between party wins, sleepwalking nights and just every feast or famine everywhere.

Not sure if it will correct itself in the next little while with the chemistry developing properly but if it’s a fall back year this year… we do have our first rounder a lot of disposable UFA pieces you could sell off in a hurry to recoup some assets and pivot fast in another direction. I feel like with Matthews locked in I’m neither in a panic or that excited.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Trading the most talented and dynamic player on the team (Nylander) is not a good idea, Marner is the easy out for me
Marner’s no trade clause says hi……….

Quoting myself because I’d rather re-sign Nylander than trade him.

We have a lot of other dead weight in Domi (3), Brodie (5), Klingberg (4), Kampf (2.4), etc that we can move to open up cap space if need be to improve other areas.
All that “other dead weight” doesn’t get you a impactful Player even if someone would take them off your hands which is highly unlikely……….

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What could the Leafs get in return for a package of Domi, Bertuzzi, and Treliving?

Obviously this is just premature gibber jabber. But even if the wheels fell off this current build you could probably get at least a first round pick and other futures assets out of Klingberg, Bertuzzi, Domi, Brodie, whatever to fill the org. gaps, get a little younger, cheaper and have some ammo to rebalance the roster. Obviously that isn’t the first choice but just saying there’s pretty good upside in a worst case scenario… if this is a bad haircut, you might just need to take another trim before it grows out properly again.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Marner’s no trade clause says hi……….

All that “other dead weight” doesn’t get you a impactful Player even if someone would take them off your hands which is highly unlikely……….
It definitely doesn’t get you impactful players but it can help get players who are hard to play against. At this point I’d rather have Peeke than Brodie, at least he’ll help make it harder for opposing players in front of our net and in the corners. Tired of seeing other teams skate around for fun while we’re getting crushed along the boards in the ozone.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Obviously this is just premature gibber jabber. But even if the wheels fell off this current build you could probably get at least a first round pick and other futures assets out of Klingberg, Bertuzzi, Domi, Brodie, whatever to fill the org. gaps, get a little younger, cheaper and have some ammo to rebalance the roster. Obviously that isn’t the first choice but just saying there’s pretty good upside in a worst case scenario… if this is a bad haircut, you might just need to take another trim before it grows out properly again.

feel like with domi, bertuzzi, klingberg, brodie you'd probably need to throw in a few 1sts to get rid of all that waste

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It definitely doesn’t get you impactful players but it can help get players who are hard to play against. At this point I’d rather have Peeke than Brodie, at least he’ll help make it harder for opposing players in front of our net and in the corners. Tired of seeing other teams skate around for fun while we’re getting crushed along the boards in the ozone.
No argument on Peeke over Brodie…….

Reactions: LeafSteel

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

View attachment 755304
Noah Dobson is a legit future top 2 Dman so I'd easily I make this deal. His work in the Q and on team Canada have me a believer, not to mention his breakout year last year.

Romanov will never become the guy all the Habs fans said he'd be but he's a very serviceable top 4-5 guy and I like his physicality, even tho he's mistake prone at times. Pageau is fast, gritty, and would also be a nice asset to this team.

Would've rather traded Marner for this package but yeah, we're up s*** creek with that NMC deal now

Depends, if you work with Nylander and trade him to a destination he’s willing to sign an extension with it shouldn’t hurt his trade value.
Big if, especially when he keeps saying publicly he wants to be a Leaf long term

• Haha
Reactions: uncleben

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
At this point you let Kling/Bert/Domi walk and re-sign Nylander. Hope Minten and/or Cowan, Robertson, someone else is able to fill the roles.
Klingberg and Domi for sure, I'm still bullish on Bertuzzi after seeing his playoff performance last year. It's up to Keefe to figure out how to best utilize him

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Simple moves really. Klingberg to Seattle for Borgen and Kampf to San Jose for Sturm. Free up 1.8 in cap and get that partner for Rielly and a 4th line C who can do what Kampf does but help on the offensive side much better.

Holmberg-Domi-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Sturm-Reaves

Rielly-Borgen
Brodie-Liljegren
McCabe-Timmins
Gio

Need a shutdown pair to close out the game then just play Brodie and McCabe together. This GM stuff is easy.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Simple moves really. Klingberg to Seattle for Borgen and Kampf to San Jose for Sturm. Free up 1.8 in cap and get that partner for Rielly and a 4th line C who can do what Kampf does but help on the offensive side much better.

Holmberg-Domi-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Sturm-Reaves

Rielly-Borgen
Brodie-Liljegren
McCabe-Timmins
Gio

Need a shutdown pair to close out the game then just play Brodie and McCabe together. This GM stuff is easy.
Are Kampf and Klingberg even positive assets on their current contracts? The same question can be asked of Sturm but he only has 1 year left after this season.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Canucks fan coming in with moderate peace.

Is it possible for our clubs to make a hockey trade?

I think we are great trading partners

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

View attachment 755304
The Leafs would be getting a really, really bad contract (Pageau), a decent young offensive, but terrible defensive, defenseman (Dobson) and a third pairing defenseman (Romanov). Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad