Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
At this point you let Kling/Bert/Domi walk and re-sign Nylander. Hope Minten and/or Cowan, Robertson, someone else is able to fill the roles.
Holmberg McMann Kokkonen ( he was close this yr.
Trade
Jamcrock Kampf Ljiligren

Stat to rebuild the defence

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
4 games in and Brodie, bertuzzi, Domi , Minten etc are all trash or need to be traded. Holy moly. Wait for a while at least.

Minten is a keeper but Bertuzzi, Domi and Brodie are just assets you can do anything with.

scout20

Jul 21, 2022
What about a trade involving two players that need a change of scenery. Trade Robertson and a 3rd rd pick for Wahlstrom of the NYI.

Reactions: ToneDog

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
What about a trade involving two players that need a change of scenery. Trade Robertson and a 3rd rd pick for Wahlstrom of the NYI.
Wahlstrom is still recovering from a pretty serious injury last season, so I'm not sure the Islanders would move him yet.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why not give Foudy a go at 3C?

Pedigree is there, if it doesn't work put him back on waivers a 760k contract won't hurt , send Minten back down

Foudy has taken 9 NHL draws in his career. He's not a center.

I'd take a chance on him but we have no cap space. If he clears, maybe there's a chance to trade for him in some capacity.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Foudy has taken 9 NHL draws in his career. He's not a center.

I'd take a chance on him but we have no cap space. If he clears, maybe there's a chance to trade for him in some capacity.
They should have traded for him before he went on waivers like they did for Timmins. Fingers crossed he falls to us and we do not pass. He is worth the gamble IMO.

Reactions: MarMarSab3

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Trade for Peeke in-season, sign Forsling UFA.

Rielly - Peeke
Forsling - Liljegren
McCabe - Brodie*/Timmins/Niemela

If Brodie can be re-signed to a hometown discount (<3m) in a Hainsey role, add him. Potentially cheaper blue line than what we’re running now.

I’d pay Forsling big long term if he tests the market.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Trade for Peeke in-season, sign Forsling UFA.

Rielly - Peeke
Forsling - Liljegren
McCabe - Brodie*/Timmins/Niemela

If Brodie can be re-signed to a hometown discount (<3m) in a Hainsey role, add him. Potentially cheaper blue line than what we’re running now.

I’d pay Forsling big long term if he tests the market.

I wonder if Columbus would take Kampf for Peeke, along with another asset like a pick or something. Leafs would have to probably make another move if/when Timmins is ready but... yeah. Kampf is just not elevating his game and he's too expensive for not being able to do well on the fourth line, might as well just put a cheap plug there like Gambrell.

I'm not a big fan of Peeke and I don't know where he fits but I would say that he'd add more to the team than what Kampf has done.

Last edited:

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Any trade we can make for Pinto? Talk about an ideal 3c.

Not sure what his salary is predicted to be.

Of course, given that it's Ottawa and they have no money, it would probably have to include multiple players and possibly a Minten or Robertson from our side.

Reactions: notdoneyet

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
It was a weird decision to bring Kampf back since he signed Reaves imo. If they planned on using Kampf as the 3rd C with 2 two way forwards on his wings who could play as a shutdown line but also chip in offensively then it made sense. If you're gonna bring in Reaves and even Gregor then you need a checking C who can fit on that line and give us a checking line that isn't fun to play against. Lafferty would've been the better option at C imo but I don't think he's as good at faceoffs.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
It was a weird decision to bring Kampf back since he signed Reaves imo. If they planned on using Kampf as the 3rd C with 2 two way forwards on his wings who could play as a shutdown line but also chip in offensively then it made sense. If you're gonna bring in Reaves and even Gregor then you need a checking C who can fit on that line and give us a checking line that isn't fun to play against. Lafferty would've been the better option at C imo but I don't think he's as good at faceoffs.

Giving Kampf 4/10 never made any sense from day one. Bottom-6 defensive Cs just don't need to make that much. Acciari got 3/6, and that's the upper bounds of what a purely defensive C should be making.

Had we gone with Acciari at his number instead of Kampf, we could afford to keep Lafferty.

A Lafferty-Acciari-Reeves 4th line would have made infinitely more sense than what we've ended up with. That's a line with purpose.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Made no sense to sign Kampf to the deal he got and then sign Domi and Reaves.

I thought when they signed Domi, Nylander was gone and Domi would be provide a little insurance. There wasnt going to be a spot for Domi on the third line, since I thought Kampf was most likely going to the 3C on a defense only line. Kampf is such a black hole offensively, there was no point in trying to generate offense on a line with him. I didnt believe they'd pay Kampf 2.4 mill a year to be the 4C.

Now the 4th line cant be a full on defensive line cause Reaves is there doing shit all.

Just brain dead shit from the Leafs. Reaves gotta go. Thats step 1.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Giving Kampf 4/10 never made any sense from day one. Bottom-6 defensive Cs just don't need to make that much. Acciari got 3/6, and that's the upper bounds of what a purely defensive C should be making.

Had we gone with Acciari at his number instead of Kampf, we could afford to keep Lafferty.

A Lafferty-Acciari-Reeves 4th line would have made infinitely more sense than what we've ended up with. That's a line with purpose.
Kampf is 3 years younger and only making 400K more so I don't think Acciaris contract is much better. I do think Acciari is the better fit with Reaves though over Kampf imo.

Reactions: notdoneyet

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

I think people are over-exaggerating the "fit" between Kampf and Reaves. At some point, Toronto will trade for a third line centre, which will stabilize the third line, and I think Kampf and Reaves will get used to playing with each other.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Kampf is 3 years younger and only making 400K more so I don't think Acciaris contract is much better. I do think Acciari is the better fit with Reaves though over Kampf imo.

Honestly when it comes to 4th line guys I don't give a shit if one is 31 and the other 27. It's not like Kampf has some unrealized potential. Both guys are what they are. If Acciari declines over the next 2 years you can easily salary dump that last year.

I think people are over-exaggerating the "fit" between Kampf and Reaves. At some point, Toronto will trade for a third line centre, which will stabilize the third line, and I think Kampf and Reaves will get used to playing with each other.

The problem is Kampf is a 100% defensive zone deployment guy. And Reaves is an offensive deployment guy ideally. So right there the fit just doesn't make any sense.

If you added a fast skater who can get the puck out on that line maybe you can get away with it, but we chose to get rid of Lafferty, and don't really have anyone to replace him with.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Resigning Kampf was a massive mistake

The only time he's looked good is when we had Engvall on his wing transporting the Puck up ice for him

I think we would have been much better off having a league min 4th line and using the savings in the top 9 or defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad