Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
I disagree. I think Cowen, Minten, Knies, and our picks would all draw significant interest to a team not ready to compete.

Cowen is having a very good start to his year, no question teams would love to add that to their stable. I would only move him, though, for a cost controlled asset.
Cowen isn't going no where

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If Minten is going down, I’d roll with this:

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Robertson - Domi - Nylander
Gregor - Kampf - McMann

I feel like that’s the optimal F group right now.

Reactions: MapleLeafs77

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If Minten is going down, I’d roll with this:

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Robertson - Domi - Nylander
Gregor - Kampf - McMann

I feel like that’s the optimal F group right now.

What happened with Reaves?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
If Samsonov doesn't pick it up by the deadline, Kuemper will likely be available. He's on a reasonable cap hit and Washington will be entering a long rebuild so they likely wouldn't mind picking up some of the salary.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If Domi doesn't work out I'd target Henrique as a replacement for his cap hit (@50% retained). Henrique can slide in at 3C or 1-3LW.
We certainly need more time to evaluate what we have, and don't have, and probably should look internally before making outside changes...but part of me wonders how advisable it is, to spend more futures assets, to bandaid what ails this team. It's probably reactionary on my part, and too soon in the year, but maybe at some point, we just say.... we pay some of you to be elite players, and lead your team to victories at critical times. To be the best players on the ice.. and really, you guys need to show that consistently, before we spend futures currency to assist those efforts.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If Samsonov doesn't pick it up by the deadline, Kuemper will likely be available. He's on a reasonable cap hit and Washington will be entering a long rebuild so they likely wouldn't mind picking up some of the salary.
Samsonov won't be the issue. He will be back at a .915 save percentage in short order. The only issue with Samsonov is that Toronto probably won't be able to afford him after this season.

Reactions: Buds17

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
We certainly need more time to evaluate what we have, and don't have, and probably should look internally before making outside changes...but part of me wonders how advisable it is, to spend more futures assets, to bandaid what ails this team. It's probably reactionary on my part, and too soon in the year, but maybe at some point, we just say.... we pay some of you to be elite players, and lead your team to victories at critical times. To be the best players on the ice.. and really, you guys need to show that consistently, before we spend futures currency to assist those efforts.
You and I have disagreed lately but I wholeheartedly agree with this take.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Washington has a few interesting pieces if things go downhill. TVR would be a good fit with term. Dowd would be a much better 4C than Kampf given the current makeup of the Leafs 4th line.

Reactions: supermann_98

weems

Jul 3, 2008

We can blame Dubas, Treliving, Keefe, Shanny, Babcock wheoever but at some point we might just have to accept that this build is flawed.

That isn't to say they aren't fantastic players or they haven't done their part, just that the "core" setup doesn't work either because of balance issues or stylistic issues.

If they can't get it done this season, for me the core definitely needs to be reshuffled and a big move needs to take place.

Reactions: Fogelhund

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
We can blame Dubas, Treliving, Keefe, Shanny, Babcock wheoever but at some point we might just have to accept that this build is flawed.

That isn't to say they aren't fantastic players or they haven't done their part, just that the "core" setup doesn't work either because of balance issues or stylistic issues.

If they can't get it done this season, for me the core definitely needs to be reshuffled and a big move needs to take place.
Agreed. The core should have been reshuffled this past off-season IMO. Now we run the risk of loosing our second best player in Nylander for nothing.

Reactions: weems

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
What would this team actually have been if we kept Hyman, Moore? Perfect secondary pieces but no.. Dubas gets rid of the good secondary pieces always.. also McCann instead of Kerfoot or Holl, like wtf?

I still think they should have paid Hyman if they were planning to go all-in every year. The last few years would have sucked but if the Leafs haven’t won anything by then, there’s no point continuing with this core anyways.

I’m speaking in hindsight but there are plenty of moves these last few years that has been misses.

1. Foligno trade.
2. Letting Hyman walk.
3. McCabe over Ekholm.
4. Murray trade.
5. Mrazek signing.
6. Protecting Holl over McCann.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Agreed. The core should have been reshuffled this past off-season IMO. Now we run the risk of loosing our second best player in Nylander for nothing.
It goes beyond poor asset management with Nylander. They can't trade Marner at all now and if they do trade Nylander it's most likely not going to be a good return.

HeresJOHNNY

Jul 5, 2010
Proposal I posted on the main boards..

To Islanders - William Nylander, TJ Brodie, Leafs 1st rounder (2024)
To Leafs - JG Pageau, Noah Dobson, Alex Romanov

Salary in/salary out hockey trade...

- Leafs get two top young D
- Islanders get a sniper and a puck mover to offset the losses

LeafsTrade.jpg

Last edited:

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto

Leafs gain about 600k in cap space
Isles lose about 100k in cap spaceView attachment 755304
this is awful.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

Leafs gain about 600k in cap space
Isles lose about 100k in cap space
It's a fun proposal and I don't think it's bad value-wise (two pending UFA's for two 23 year old 3/4 D's signed for 6.5M) but I don't see how the defense would work with Dobson and Romanov added. I don't believe Dobson would be a stylistic fit with either of the 3 LD on the roster if that trade went through. He hasn't been great with Romanov, he would fit McCabe about as well as Klingberg has and he's too much like Rielly to partner with Rielly. Rielly also wouldn't be a stylistic fit with any of the RHD (Dobson, Liljegren, Klingberg). Pageau would be a bad contract to take on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad