Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Marc Staal would be a perfect stay at home D partner for Klingberg. 6’4 Ontario boy who’s shaken the concussion issues he has a few years ago. He’s an upcoming UFA, maybe he comes back on a hometown 1-2 year discount deal, and Philly’s tanking so…

Marc Staal + Konecny ($2m retained)
for
McCabe + Jarnkrok + Robertson + 1st

Bertuzzi Matthews Marner
Knies Tavares Nylander
Domi Minten Konecny
Noah Kampf Reaves

Reilly Brodie
Stall Klingberg
Gio Liljegren

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marc Staal would be a perfect stay at home D partner for Klingberg. 6’4 Ontario boy who’s shaken the concussion issues he has a few years ago. He’s an upcoming UFA, maybe he comes back on a hometown 1-2 year discount deal, and Philly’s tanking so…

Marc Staal + Konecny ($2m retained)
for
McCabe + Jarnkrok + Robertson + 1st

Bertuzzi Matthews Marner
Knies Tavares Nylander
Domi Minten Konecny
Noah Kampf Reaves

Reilly Brodie
Stall Klingberg
Gio Liljegren

Marc Staal? Marc... STAAL? Soon to be 37 year old fringe NHLer Marc Staal? Did I miss something here?

The whole deal is really bad. Losing 4 good assets for 1 pretty good one and a bad one is terrible.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Marc Staal? Marc... STAAL? Soon to be 37 year old fringe NHLer Marc Staal? Did I miss something here?

The whole deal is really bad. Losing 4 good assets for 1 pretty good one and a bad one is terrible.
I consider “fringe NHLer” Marc Staal to be better than McCabe. He’s not the same guy he used to be but in the playoffs I’d still take a Staal brother on this team over McCabe, and the other “good asset” Jarnkrok who from what I remember last playoffs, was very un-memorable.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I consider “fringe NHLer” Marc Staal to be better than McCabe. He’s not the same guy he used to be but in the playoffs I’d still take a Staal brother on this team over McCabe, and the other “good asset” Jarnkrok who from what I remember last playoffs, was very un-memorable.

I don't think you've watched nearly enough of Marc Staal to say that with a straight face if I'm being completely honest. I really cannot disagree more with anything you just said. It blows my mind a little to be honest.

Jarnkrok might not be a good playoff performer but he's a good 20 goal scorer in the regular season.

Last edited:

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I don't think you've watched nearly enough of Marc Staal to say that with a straight face if I'm being completely honest.
Maybe not, but he played 82 regular season games and 21 in the playoffs for Florida last year. I barely noticed him, which is exactly how I like my stay at home defensemen.

If you’re higher on McCabe than I am so be it, but the only thing that’s impressed me about him is how unimpressive he’s been. If he’s still part of this D core come playoff time I’m terrified

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
If we're going to go after a D, lets stop targeting these guys that need to be sheltered or are moments away from retirement.

Go all in on a guy we can all feel good about playing #1 or #2 in TOI. We've been bleeding resources and picks for McCabe types for too long.

Reactions: Fogelhund

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Maybe not, but he played 82 regular season games and 21 in the playoffs for Florida last year. I barely noticed him, which is exactly how I like my stay at home defensemen.

If you’re higher on McCabe than I am so be it, but the only thing that’s impressed me about him is how unimpressive he’s been. If he’s still part of this D core come playoff time I’m terrified

Maybe because you primarly watch the Leafs and saw him play a few games for the Panthers? I think you'd be the only person that would ever consider Marc Staal to be a top NHL defensive defenseman.

You can really despise McCabe all you want but he's a whole lot better than Marc freaking Staal... I don't know how else to point that out. Yes, even defensively. The Panthers didn't even want to keep him after their playoff run and it isn't because he was asking for a big contract.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If we're going to go after a D, lets stop targeting these guys that need to be sheltered or are moments away from retirement.

Go all in on a guy we can all feel good about playing #1 or #2 in TOI. We've been bleeding resources and picks for McCabe types for too long.
Completely agree, if you want quality you need to give up quality. Since the only moveable asset that would return any quality D man is 88, and nobody’s willing to move him better get use to a weak defence, which isn’t the end of the world until April. The real problem is the D is weak and the goalie position is questionable, not a good combination especially come April……….

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Completely agree, if you want quality you need to give up quality. Since the only moveable asset that would return any quality D man is 88, and nobody’s willing to move him better get use to a weak defence, which isn’t the end of the world until April. The real problem is the D is weak and the goalie position is questionable, not a good combination especially come April……….

I disagree. I think Cowen, Minten, Knies, and our picks would all draw significant interest to a team not ready to compete.

Cowen is having a very good start to his year, no question teams would love to add that to their stable. I would only move him, though, for a cost controlled asset.

Reactions: supermann_98

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I disagree. I think Cowen, Minten, Knies, and our picks would all draw significant interest to a team not ready to compete.

Cowen is having a very good start to his year, no question teams would love to add that to their stable. I would only move him, though, for a cost controlled asset.
Dubas destroyed the talent pool and left the cupboard pretty much bare and you think completely emptying said cupboard is a good way to go? If so I concede you have a point……..

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Dubas destroyed the talent pool and left the cupboard pretty much bare and you think completely emptying said cupboard is a good way to go? If so I concede you have a point……..

I hate the idea of emptying the cupboards. I love having some kids to contribute. Depends, I guess, on if you think this is a year where we could really win or not.

Unfortunately the Dubas regime could not draft or acquire a single cost controlled defenceman in their 6 or 7 years, however long it was.

This org just really struggles to draft and develop top 4 D.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Some of what I'd do, really depends on how things go over the next 10 days, and also what Patrick Kane is thinking. Now if Kane is legitimately thinking about the Leafs... we could really only afford $1 mil. Does he take that? I don't know. Let's suppose he does for a minute.

Who is expendable if we sign Kane? Jarnkrok? Probably.

If that happens... We'd probably get a 2nd(?) for Jarnkrok.

Columbus would take a 2nd for Peeke.. It provides some physicality for the right side... we'd have an excess on the right side though... so the question would be, who does he replace? Does Brodie go to the left side? Who plays with Rielly? You are basically hoping Peeke can play with Rielly, which a couple of years ago... I might have thought it was possible, but Peeke hasn't progressed the way that I would have expected. That's a heck of a gamble to make. Of course you could move Brodie back to playing with Rielly, but then we have five RD, and two LD on the roster...

From an asset perspective, it's probably a gain... gain an asset for Jarnkrok, move it for Peeke, gain an asset for McCabe....

So who do you move out of the D? McCabe if he continues to struggle? Klingberg?

But so many "ifs" and "maybes".

This org just really struggles to draft and develop top 4 D.
D is sometimes about draft position, often about luck too. It's a much harder position to predict than Forwards are. Much less correlation to draft position and future success.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Some of what I'd do, really depends on how things go over the next 10 days, and also what Patrick Kane is thinking. Now if Kane is legitimately thinking about the Leafs... we could really only afford $1 mil. Does he take that? I don't know. Let's suppose he does for a minute.

Columbus would take a 2nd for Peeke.. It provides some physicality for the right side... we'd have an excess on the right side though... so the question would be, who does he replace? Does Brodie go to the left side? Who plays with Rielly? You are basically hoping Peeke can play with Rielly, which a couple of years ago... I might have thought it was possible, but Peeke hasn't progressed the way that I would have expected. That's a heck of a gamble to make. Of course you could move Brodie back to playing with Rielly, but then we have five RD, and two LD on the roster...

From an asset perspective, it's probably a gain... gain an asset for Jarnkrok, move it for Peeke, gain an asset for McCabe....

D is sometimes about draft position, often about luck too. It's a much harder position to predict than Forwards are. Much less correlation to draft position and future success.

There aren't many replaceable players on the Leafs that make serious coin. Kampf is probably the worst contract by far right now and he'd be at the top of my list of players that I'd trim first chance I get. He's had a very rough start to the season, but even going back to last season he wasn't all that good. You might lose a hard working center but I'd take a hit there to get a more capable player with upside such as Holmberg.

I'd be fine with Jarnkrok getting traded for good value and replacing him with a Robertson or some sort of cheaper alternative, but right now Jarnkrok is playing really well and it would be hard to replace his recent contributions.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
The thing about our D being subpar compared to other NHL teams is that it only really kills us when we can

I always thought Brodie looked better on the left. I don't know why, he just looks more comfortable to me.

Jarnkrok would be an easy loss to swallow and opens up caproom next year.

I still want to see Timmins get some games. Gio is tough to watch some nights.

Mo - x
Brodie - Klingberg
x - Liljegren or Timmins

It's that top pairing, 22-24 minute a night guy on the right side that feels like the biggest issue. Has been for a decade.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I'd rather go after Hanifin if we're targeting a UFA D as a partner for Klingberg.

For a Reilly partner, I don't think we need a 2 way D - just a smart, positionally sound defensive D that is big and tough. Reilly's performed best with players like Hainsey & Schenn both guys who fit that mold - at least that's what my eye test tells me.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd rather go after Hanifin if we're targeting a UFA D as a partner for Klingberg.

For a Reilly partner, I don't think we need a 2 way D - just a smart, positionally sound defensive D that is big and tough. Reilly's performed best with players like Hainsey & Schenn both guys who fit that mold - at least that's what my eye test tells me.
Hanifin would be a very expensive rental. We'd have to move Brodie, which likely makes us worse on the defensive side. Hanifin + Klingberg as a pairing wouldn't be very good defensively.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Hanifin would be a very expensive rental. We'd have to move Brodie, which likely makes us worse on the defensive side. Hanifin + Klingberg as a pairing wouldn't be very good defensively.
I wasn't suggesting as a rental and it certainly would be better defensively than McCabe + Kling

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wasn't suggesting as a rental and it certainly would be better defensively than McCabe + Kling
Hanifin is likely to ask for what Rielly is paid, or more if he has a good year. How are we affording that? Moving on from Nylander?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Kevin Labanc is a healthy scratch for tonight's San Jose Sharks season opener against the Vegas Golden Knights.

Labanc missed some time during training camp due to an injury, and head coach David Quinn said it put him behind in getting ready for game one.

Labanc finished the 19-20 season with 33 points (14 goals, 19 assists) in 70 games, a far cry from where he finished the 2018-19 season with 17 goals and 39 assists in 82 games.

Since signing the four-year deal, Labanc hasn't produced and has been the subject of many trade rumors. His $4.725 million cap hit could be the main reason why he hasn't been traded.

Labanc has not scored more than 33 points since that 18-19 season. His poor production and lack of defensive ability make his cap hit overpriced.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Hanifin is likely to ask for what Rielly is paid, or more if he has a good year. How are we affording that? Moving on from Nylander?
Plenty of ways. There are a lot of expiring's. I doubt Domi will be retained and we have a couple of forward prospects that should be ready to step in next season.

The way I see it, keep Reilly and Klingberg and fill out your D around those 2. I doubt Klingberg will command much more than he's making now on a contract with term.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd prefer to keep the forwards we currently have around, I think Jarnkrok and Domi will help our scoring problems in long playoff series and youngsters like Robertson can lengthen our lineup with minimal cap costs

If the defense needs sorting out I'm using money already allocated to the defense

There's plenty of money between Klingberg, Brodie, Gio and McCabe to do some pretty major surgery although teams are going to be after the likes of Cowan and Minten who I'm loathed to move

Reactions: Fogelhund

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I'd prefer to keep the forwards we currently have around, I think Jarnkrok and Domi will help our scoring problems in long playoff series and youngsters like Robertson can lengthen our lineup with minimal cap costs

If the defense needs sorting out I'm using money already allocated to the defense

There's plenty of money between Klingberg, Brodie, Gio and McCabe to do some pretty major surgery although teams are going to be after the likes of Cowan and Minten who I'm loathed to move

Maintaining forward depth seems crucial, I agree with you there. We can't have "low event" bottom 6s, you just need so much more in the playoffs.

Next year we have some space if we move on from Sammy, too.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Plenty of ways. There are a lot of expiring's. I doubt Domi will be retained and we have a couple of forward prospects that should be ready to step in next season.

The way I see it, keep Reilly and Klingberg and fill out your D around those 2. I doubt Klingberg will command much more than he's making now on a contract with term.
Domi, Klingberg and Bertuzzi couldn't be retained... You really wouldn't want, or need Klingberg if you had Hanifin anyway.

This would be really tight... it would be tough to sign any decent FA LW to replace Bertuzzi.... unless Knies really stepped up, but still have depth issues.

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
Tooltip
BONUSESCAP SPACE
15$87,700,000$72,440,500$0$0$15,259,500
Delete PlayerBuyoutAdd to Trade

Prorated Cap Hit

Roster​

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Toronto Maple Leafs

Järnkrok, Calle
$2,100,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Toronto Maple Leafs

Matthews, Auston
$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
Toronto Maple Leafs

Marner, Mitchell
$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
Toronto Maple Leafs

Waivers Exempt
Knies, Matthew
$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Toronto Maple Leafs

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Toronto Maple Leafs

Nylander, William
$9,500,000
RW, C
UFA
LW3
Toronto Maple Leafs

Waivers Exempt
Minten, Fraser
$845,833
C, LW
RFA - 2
Toronto Maple Leafs

Waivers Exempt
Holmberg, Pontus
$800,000
C
RFA - 1
LW4
Toronto Maple Leafs

Kämpf, David
$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Toronto Maple Leafs

Reaves, Ryan
$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
LW5RW5
Roster created at CapFriendly.com | Follow on Twitter @CapFriendly
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Toronto Maple Leafs

Rielly, Morgan
$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
Toronto Maple Leafs

Timmins, Conor
$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1
Toronto Maple Leafs

Woll, Joseph
$766,667
G
RFA - 1
Hanifin, Noah
$8,000,000
LD
UFA
RD2G2
Toronto Maple Leafs

McCabe, Jake
$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
RD3

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The thing about our D being subpar compared to other NHL teams is that it only really kills us when we can

I always thought Brodie looked better on the left. I don't know why, he just looks more comfortable to me.

Jarnkrok would be an easy loss to swallow and opens up caproom next year.

I still want to see Timmins get some games. Gio is tough to watch some nights.

Mo - x
Brodie - Klingberg
x - Liljegren or Timmins

It's that top pairing, 22-24 minute a night guy on the right side that feels like the biggest issue. Has been for a decade.
Domi+ for Peeke

Rielly-Peeke
Brodie/McCabe- Klingberg
Brodie/McCabe-Liljegren

Rielly has been great with Schenn. Great with Hainsey. Peeke has 2 more seasons at 2.75

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad