Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Domi and Bertuzzi are both below average defensive players especially Domi. Reaves being a below average defensive player has considerably less impact on the 4th line. Bertuzzi is essentially replacing another unremarkable defensive player in Bunting. When considering Domi replacing Kerfoot that's a big downgrade defensively. However in the mix are the rookies Knies and Minten who project to soon become above average defensive players replacing the "losses" of Engvall and Kerfoot as quality defensive forwards. My thesis is that Domi just needs to relied upon much less and used intelligently.

I wonder if BT took a chance on these flawed defensive players across the board in free agency is because he has had the luxury of a solid defense during his entire time in Calgary. He may have undervalued the forward contribution to the team's defense. What he has assembled here for this season puts increased weight on the defense and goaltending. Right now in this short time McCabe and Brodie have not looked strong plus there's the fading Giordano.

Engvall was often on the 3rd/4th line and he would carry that line out of many situations defensively, something Kampf/Holmberg depended on a lot. Reaves will not be able to do the same. Gregor basically replaces ZAR/Lafferty on that line, and he's doing decently well.

I do think signing Domi was a mistake in our current situation. I like the guy and wanted him on the Leafs for a very long time. I hope he proves me wrong and can prove his worth soon. He basically replaced Kerfoot in terms of minutes and unfortunately, Kerfoot showed to be a more much more dependent all around player. I hope Domi can start scoring and creating chances.

This team needed more offense going into the playoffs. On paper it's there and should be more prominent but it will come at the expense of what was our strength -- our defensive structure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocker13 and kb

JTK1967

Jul 15, 2009
Windsor
I view the season as 20 games for VT to evaluate who he has, and than the next 30 games of him looking for trades to fix it.

Things we know:
Minter is good, but likely needs another season in junior. 3C seems a bit beyond him, if we want to roll three lines.
Bertuzzi has looked fine, and has brought a bit of fight out from Matthews / Marner. BUT, he still is taking too many dumb penalties.
Matthews injury riddles last year looks like it may have just been a down year, and hope he is back to being a 55-60g guy.
Marner looks fine, but not at full power. Could it be the new winger he hasnt gelled with yet?
Domi looks like he is still trying to find his role.
Tavares looks like he hasnt regressed at all.
Nlander looks like being on a contract year suits him. Maybe just keep signing him to 1 year deal? lol
Knies looks like he has taken a step, and will be knocking on the door to the top 6 soon.
Jarnkrok is exactly as advetised.
Gregor looks like a realy solid add, Kampf is as fine.
Reaves is a refreshing guard dog, someone who chirps on the ice and the bench who will back it up. Not sure why some people are looking at his advanced numbers, they arent and never will be good.

Reilly is fine, and has played well without PP time.
TJ Brodie seems like someone spun him around a bunch before he gets on the ice. Just something is off.
McCabe is showing he is fine with the right partner, but he takes too many chances to be the only defensive guy on his pair.
Gio has looked fine, better than the end of last year but not back to where he was a year ago.
Liljgren has had moments of looking legit top pair, and a few moments where he looks overwhelmed. Think he is a fine #4 for now and moving forward, needs reps.

Klingberg is so much worse at everything than I think most of us anticipated. We had hoped it was Anaheim that had screwed up his numbers. But boy o boy, is he bad.

Prediction: Leafs will trade Klingberg + Robetsron + 2nd for Dumba (@50%) + Bjugstadt +Doan before Christmas.
They will want to drop Minten back down, Bjugstadt goes into 3C

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Domi and Bertuzzi are both below average defensive players especially Domi. Reaves being a below average defensive player has considerably less impact on the 4th line. Bertuzzi is essentially replacing another unremarkable defensive player in Bunting. When considering Domi replacing Kerfoot that's a big downgrade defensively. However in the mix are the rookies Knies and Minten who project to soon become above average defensive players replacing the "losses" of Engvall and Kerfoot as quality defensive forwards. My thesis is that Domi just needs to relied upon much less and used intelligently.

I wonder if BT took a chance on these flawed defensive players across the board in free agency is because he has had the luxury of a solid defense during his entire time in Calgary. He may have undervalued the forward contribution to the team's defense. What he has assembled here for this season puts increased weight on the defense and goaltending. Right now in this short time McCabe and Brodie have not looked strong plus there's the fading Giordano.
Yeah, I had significant concerns about the defensive downgrades we made over the offseason. Ignoring the rentals since they weren't on the team long and there was no guarantee they'd come back and you have.

Bert for Bunting - both poor defensively, no real change there

Domi for Kerfoot - significant downgrade defensively

Reaves for Lafferty - significant downgrade defensively

Gregor for ZAR - defensive downgrade

Klingberg for Holl - significant defensive downgrade

That's pretty significant. Basically turns the bottom half of the lineup from a defense first group to offensive.

JTK1967

Jul 15, 2009
Windsor
Trade Idea:
Klingberg and Robertson for Andrew Peeke and Roslovick.

We give up the biggest potential in Robertson.

Roslovick plays 3 C when Minten goes down.

Peeke has shown in his career to be a good defensive 2nd pair guy, who isn't good offensively. 2 more years at 2.75, him + McCabe means a stable second pair for under $5m.
With Knies passing Robertson, he may be the guy out the door to improve the back end.

Bert - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
Domi - Roslovick - Jarnkork

Reilly - Brodie
McCabe - Peeke
Gio - Liljgren

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Trade Idea:

Peeke has shown in his career to be a good defensive 2nd pair guy, who isn't good offensively. 2 more years at 2.75, him + McCabe means a stable second pair for under $5m.
With Knies passing Robertson, he may be the guy out the door to improve the back end.

Bert - Matthews - Marner

Reilly - Brodie
McCabe - Peeke
Gio - Liljgren
Columbus trying to move Roslovic but not sure why Columbus would want Klingberg. I'd like to know what Tre's thinking is when it comes to Klingberg. If he wanted to add a puck moving dman, I doubt he is going to dump him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Trade Idea:

Bert - Matthews - Marner

Reilly - Brodie
McCabe - Peeke
Gio - Liljgren

Ok but why would Columbus do this?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Trade Idea:

Bert - Matthews - Marner

Reilly - Brodie
McCabe - Peeke
Gio - Liljgren
Isn't Peeke on the block because Columbus is trying to shed defenseman?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
From 32 thoughts

Five points in two games as Nick Robertson starts his AHL season. It wasn’t easy for him to go back to the Marlies, but all you can do is produce and he’s started right. Apparently, it was pointed out to him that the Maple Leafs carry the minimum 12 forwards, so there will be opportunity for him if something happens. You can also see a situation where if this goes too long, he might ask for a fresh start.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Does anyone else see the Devon Toews contract as a neat and tidy bundle that could one day fit onto the Toronto Maple Leafs, if something were to shake loose with the Nylander situation if a trade emerges between Toronto and Colorado?
toews isn’t nearly enough for Willy. Not. Close.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
From 32 thoughts

Five points in two games as Nick Robertson starts his AHL season. It wasn’t easy for him to go back to the Marlies, but all you can do is produce and he’s started right. Apparently, it was pointed out to him that the Maple Leafs carry the minimum 12 forwards, so there will be opportunity for him if something happens. You can also see a situation where if this goes too long, he might ask for a fresh start.
I’m hoping Domi is just off to a slow start but as of right now I think Robertson would have been better in the lineup and a lot cheaper also.

Reactions: supermann_98

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
i feel like leafs need to sign Kane/trade for Peeke and roll this:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Knies - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Nylander - Kane
Gregor - Kampf - McMann

Rielly - Peeke
Brodie - Klingberg
McCabe - Liljegren

Samsonov
Woll

Move Jarnkrok for the cap to sign Kane

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I’m hoping Domi is just off to a slow start but as of right now I think Robertson would have been better in the lineup and a lot cheaper also.
Robertson needs time in the AHL. He's doing what he should be doing early in the season but he still needs to develop and shouldn't be called up right away. If he feels he deserves to be in the NHL after missing so much time the last 3 seasons, then he might be in for a rude awakening when he's given that shot somewhere else and it doesn't work out over there also and then the rest of the league forgets about him while he has a career overseas.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
To Toronto-
Rasmus Andersson
Noah Hanifin
Andrew Mangiapane

To Calgary-
Mitch Marner
TJ Brodie
Calle Jarnkrok
1st Round Pick

Knies-Matthews-Nylander
Bertuzzi-Tavares-Mangiapane
Domi-Holmberg-Robertson
Gregor-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Andersson
Hanifin-Liljegren
McCabe-Klingberg
Giordano

Last edited:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
To Toronto-
Rasmus Andersson
Noah Hanifin
Andrew Mangiapane

To Calgary-
Mitch Marner
TJ Brodie
Calle Jarnkrok
1st Round Pick

Knies-Matthews-Nylander
Domi-Holmberg-Robertson
Gregor-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Andersson
Hanifin-Liljegren
Brodie-Klingberg
Giordano
I would in a heartbeat.

Assuming you mean McCabe-Klingberg on the 3rd pairing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
To Toronto-
Rasmus Andersson
Noah Hanifin
Andrew Mangiapane

To Calgary-
Mitch Marner
TJ Brodie
Calle Jarnkrok
1st Round Pick

Knies-Matthews-Nylander
Domi-Holmberg-Robertson
Gregor-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Andersson
Hanifin-Liljegren
McCabe-Klingberg
Giordano
Marner = NMC

Reactions: rumman

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
To Toronto-
Rasmus Andersson
Noah Hanifin
Andrew Mangiapane

To Calgary-
Mitch Marner
TJ Brodie
Calle Jarnkrok
1st Round Pick

Knies-Matthews-Nylander
Domi-Holmberg-Robertson
Gregor-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Andersson
Hanifin-Liljegren
McCabe-Klingberg
Giordano
Moving Marner AND a 1st for that? Yeah, no thanks

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
To Toronto-
Rasmus Andersson
Noah Hanifin
Andrew Mangiapane

To Calgary-
Mitch Marner
TJ Brodie
Calle Jarnkrok
1st Round Pick

Knies-Matthews-Nylander
Domi-Holmberg-Robertson
Gregor-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Andersson
Hanifin-Liljegren
McCabe-Klingberg
Giordano
There is no realistic circumstance under which Toronto would trade Marner. He is guaranteed to resign in Toronto.

Reactions: TMLAM34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad