Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Mods can feel free to delete this but someone that has given me some pretty accurate scoops actually in a round about way suggested that there is a chance some tampering did occur there with Schenn.

It was actually progressing well with Toronto, publicly he seemed like the most likely to return out of ROR, Schenn and Acciari. Things changed fast there and we all know that tampering happens in the league but it was a pretty logical/believable explanation for me.

The real question being... would we have been better off with Scheen and Gustafsson at their cap hits, than Klingberg?

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I would have rather kept Schenn at his cap hit as opposed to re-signing Kampf tbh. I'm a fan of Kampf btw, but I think he's a bit rich for a 4C and easier to replace, even internally.

Rielly - Schenn was an awesome pair. Got the best out of Rielly and Schenn could handle the minutes.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I would have rather kept Schenn at his cap hit as opposed to re-signing Kampf tbh. I'm a fan of Kampf btw, but I think he's a bit rich for a 4C and easier to replace, even internally.

Rielly - Schenn was an awesome pair. Got the best out of Rielly and Schenn could handle the minutes.
Plus, we had Holmberg in place to take over Kampf's spot for cheaper.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Heck we might be able to trade for Schenn back (retained)...because he's already being healthy scratched and Preds fans are saying he's like their 8th best defenseman.

Can't fault Schenn for going after the money but idk if he's gonna play all that much

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The real question being... would we have been better off with Scheen and Gustafsson at their cap hits, than Klingberg?
There's probably something to be said for filling two spots in the lineup over one more often than not. Beyond that, I'd likely trust Klingberg to play higher in the lineup on a consistent basis more than I would Schenn or Gustafsson. Furthermore, early returns suggest that Klingberg has been far from the biggest issue on the blueline (or really even any sort of an issue at all).

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Pretty obvious Treliving's first acquisition will be a stay at home physical defenseman.

Wonder if David Savard makes sense

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Heck we might be able to trade for Schenn back (retained)...because he's already being healthy scratched and Preds fans are saying he's like their 8th best defenseman.

Can't fault Schenn for going after the money but idk if he's gonna play all that much
Jarnkrok (2.1M per for 3 years) + Timmins (1.1M per for 2 years) for Schenn (2.75M per for 3 years)

Then call up Holmberg to replace Jarnkrok.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Getting Schenn back with retention would be sweet. 🤣

Reactions: Leaffan1991

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Is anyone really surprised Schenn is a healthy scratch? He’s been a career journey man. The fact that Nashville paid him 2.75 mill per for 3 years was a big overpay especially when giving him 3 years. He should have gotten the Reaves contract at best.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There's probably something to be said for filling two spots in the lineup over one more often than not. Beyond that, I'd likely trust Klingberg to play higher in the lineup on a consistent basis more than I would Schenn or Gustafsson. Furthermore, early returns suggest that Klingberg has been far from the biggest issue on the blueline (or really even any sort of an issue at all).

Schenn didn’t have a good first game, and is out with an injury now. Gus has two points, Klingberg three.

A bit early to judge.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Schenn didn’t have a good first game, and is out with an injury now. Gus has two points, Klingberg three.

A bit early to judge.
No question about that. Realistically though, I suppose the necessary term and/or AAV lacked appeal for Toronto in the case of Schenn. Meanwhile, Gustafsson likely wasn't re-signing with the team after being made a healthy scratch by Keefe rather frequently.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
No question about that. Realistically though, I suppose the necessary term and/or AAV lacked appeal for Toronto in the case of Schenn. Meanwhile, Gustafsson likely wasn't re-signing with the team after being made a healthy scratch by Keefe rather frequently.
I think Toronto cost Gustafsson millions of dollars trading for him and benching him the rest of the way. He was having a pretty good season before that.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think Toronto cost Gustafsson millions of dollars trading for him and benching him the rest of the way. He was having a pretty good season before that.
Maybe, though not necessarily. His most lucrative contracts have been a 1 year @ 3M and a 2 year deal @ 1.2M per. His career numbers on the ice might have suggested something greater and yet...

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

Gustafsson hurt his own value by taking a personal leave of absence shortly after being traded for.

He then got hurt in the playoffs and missed a bunch of games. I don't particularly like Keefe as the head coach for this team. But I don't remember him benching Gustafsson for very many games.

Gustafsson just wasn't available to play for much of his time here.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Gustafsson hurt his own value by taking a personal leave of absence shortly after being traded for.

He then got hurt in the playoffs and missed a bunch of games. I don't particularly like Keefe as the head coach for this team. But I don't remember him benching Gustafsson for very many games.

Gustafsson just wasn't available to play for much of his time here.

One thing that goes under the radar is he was dressed when we closed out the series against Tampa and when he was dressed, we beat Florida.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
WTH? Assets for an overpaid healthy scratch? He better have something good attached, and 50% retained.

horrendous
I would not touch luke schenn. Loved the player when he was here but don’t get yourself into a 3 year term at that cap hit.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Gotta wonder what Bertuzzi and Domi feel like joining here one 1-years to put up points and cash in on something longer term next year and then watch the last 4 minutes of the game from the bench and get maybe 40 seconds of PP time during the game if they’re lucky.

3 team proposal:

3rd team: McCabe
Leafs: Schenn ($750k retained)
Nashville: Draft pick (2nd or 3rd?) to Nashville
In a heartbeat

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Gotta wonder what Bertuzzi and Domi feel like joining here one 1-years to put up points and cash in on something longer term next year and then watch the last 4 minutes of the game from the bench and get maybe 40 seconds of PP time during the game if they’re lucky.
Yet Bunting and Hyman before him did exactly that.... the difference being, they actually put up points with their opportunities. In no way, should they have expected big PP time... that's the way it's been for a bit here.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

In a heartbeat

I wonder if Domi has had the thought “why am I watching from the bench on my 7th team, is it something about how I play?”. That’s of course a joke because how is he going to self reflect when he visibly has a room temperature IQ out there.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I wonder if Domi has had the thought “why am I watching from the bench on my 7th team, is it something about how I play?”. That’s of course a joke because how is he going to self reflect when he visibly has a room temperature IQ out there.
I'm not arguing, his play showed he didn't deserve to be out there or even the one of the next 2-3 guys in line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad