Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You would have got penny's on the dollar unless he signed a long term deal with the new team.

Willy will be signed 10 mil with us 40 goal scorer .

That's why I have said that jamcrock and
Kampf need to be traded so that we can trade for a dman.

I also think Ljiligren will be traded.
Got to give quality to get quality both those players won’t get you much of a D man imo……..

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
You would have got penny's on the dollar unless he signed a long term deal with the new team.

Willy will be signed 10 mil with us 40 goal scorer .

That's why I have said that jamcrock and
Kampf need to be traded so that we can trade for a dman.

I also think Ljiligren will be traded.

Teams pay insane prices for deadline rentals. Why would it be any less for a full season?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You thinking hometown kid Vince Dunn?
Good suggestion if he won't take 9-9.25M - we just flat out can't afford him.

I'm just not sure 100% what I would want back in the trade.

I just know we need to get a great defenseman at some point, even if it's not in a trade for Nylander.

I suggested a bit of a blockbuster that would have brought Shane Wright in, among other good young assets, for Nylander... It would have been fun to have him with Minten and Knies as a kid line.

Doesn't seem like Wright is the player many thought he'd be though. He's young and might figure it out but it's not looking great.

I don't see a great fit with Seattle outside of a futures package back.

In the summer I had proposed we do Nylander + Brodie for Larsson + Bjorkstrand + Wright.... if it was necessary to move Nylander. Just to clarify, I'd prefer to keep him, but if we MUST move him... I thought that was something that achieved goals for both teams.

Yes, Wright isn't going to be a #1C, but I think he'll settle in to a mid #2C role at some point.

After the deal, we'd have $3.5 mil in cap space, and could sign Kane......

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If the Leafs want to open cap space to make a move for a RD there is a deal to be made with Vancouver through Anaheim. Vancouver needs a partner for Hughes and they want to shed Garland. Vancouver sends Garland to Anaheim and Anaheim retains 1-2.5M on Brodie and moves him to Vancouver. Toronto receives either of Henrique or Silfverberg at 50%. Vancouver then sends a pick or prospect to Anaheim (Podkolzin, 2nd, 1st?).

Toronto saves just over 2M in cap space to use towards a defenseman. I would prefer Henrique over Silfverberg but Silfverberg has a very strong playoff resume compared to Henrique. Henrique could theoretically play 3C if/when Minten gets sent down.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
At this point I'd prefer to get a contract done, but a deal around a young center and a veteran defenseman (Wright, Larsson), or vice versa, makes some sense to me, organizationally. You're never getting a Nylander type player back in a trade, so I'd target the best future piece available and ideally someone who can help in a more immediate capacity for the roster.

But I'm not sure Seattle would get involved in a trade like that. I don't think Ron Francis has really swung on a big trade piece, much less a pending free agent, in recent memory. Seattle traded a third and a fourth for Bjorkstrand, but that's really about it. I think you'd need an extended Nylander to get Francis onboard, and if that's the case, the price goes up.

horner

May 22, 2007
If the Leafs want to open cap space to make a move for a RD there is a deal to be made with Vancouver through Anaheim. Vancouver needs a partner for Hughes and they want to shed Garland. Vancouver sends Garland to Anaheim and Anaheim retains 1-2.5M on Brodie and moves him to Vancouver. Toronto receives either of Henrique or Silfverberg at 50%. Vancouver then sends a pick or prospect to Anaheim (Podkolzin, 2nd, 1st?).

Toronto saves just over 2M in cap space to use towards a defenseman. I would prefer Henrique over Silfverberg but Silfverberg has a very strong playoff resume compared to Henrique. Henrique could theoretically play 3C if/when Minten gets sent down.
We need a defenceman

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I wouldn't be afraid of dealing Nylander to the Bruins. A deal around Carlo+Swayman for Nylander.

We need a defenceman
If the Leafs want to open cap space to make a move for a RD there is a deal to be made with Vancouver through Anaheim.
That was the whole premise behind the proposal. In a theoretical world where a defenseman is acquired you will be removing one from the lineup.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wouldn't be afraid of dealing Nylander to the Bruins. A deal around Carlo+Swayman for Nylander.

That was the whole premise behind the proposal. In a theoretical world where a defenseman is acquired you will be removing one from the lineup.

Bruins need legitimate proven C's. They'd have no interest in this. We also don't need another goaltender.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't disagree but they have JVR/Lucic playing on their top line right now. They are in an interesting spot where they could acquire Nylander and Lindholm and extend both.

""

Appreciating that they really don't have the assets to acquire both, and Lindholm isn't moving from Calgary at this point. So if there is no C, there sure isn't a need for another winger.

And no... Lucic is not playing on their top line, it's JvR Zacha Pastranak most often. Marchand Coyle Debrusk has been their second line, most often.

JvR is also only getting 8:27 of 5v5 time... the lowest on the team... so clearly they are mixing it up. Sure, their forwards quality isn't high, but their D is, and they are undefeated... no need for panic moves, and given Lindholm isn't being moved at this time, this is all null and void.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
""

Appreciating that they really don't have the assets to acquire both, and Lindholm isn't moving from Calgary at this point. So if there is no C, there sure isn't a need for another winger.

And no... Lucic is not playing on their top line, it's JvR Zacha Pastranak most often. Marchand Coyle Debrusk has been their second line, most often.

JvR is also only getting 8:27 of 5v5 time... the lowest on the team... so clearly they are mixing it up. Sure, their forwards quality isn't high, but their D is, and they are undefeated... no need for panic moves, and given Lindholm isn't being moved at this time, this is all null and void.

Let's say they were to move Carlo+Swayman for Nylander. They could turn around and flip Debrusk+2024 or 25 1st (there is currently a condition attached to it)+Lysell for Lindholm+Vladar. This is assuming Calgary would be interested in Debrusk and he would re-sign there which I can both see.

I said Lucic was playing on their top line because he moved up to the top line to replace JVR in their first game. It's very early and they are obviously trying things out.

Sure it's early for a trade but it doesn't mean it can't be discussed. I don't think dismissing the idea of Boston acquiring Nylander or Nylander AND Lindholm is necessary at this point in time.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Let's say they were to move Carlo+Swayman for Nylander

1697473088453.gif

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Personally I don't think the D has been that bad.

Samsanov has been very iffy, and like Tampa's D is seeing, when your goalie is not making big saves it looks real bad on the D core.

Brodie has been worrying me since mid season last year. Him and Gio both look pretty suspect to me. Happy with the rest of the gang so far.

Let's say they were to move Carlo+Swayman for Nylander. They could turn around and flip Debrusk+2024 or 25 1st (there is currently a condition attached to it)+Lysell for Lindholm+Vladar. This is assuming Calgary would be interested in Debrusk and he would re-sign there which I can both see.

I said Lucic was playing on their top line because he moved up to the top line to replace JVR in their first game. It's very early and they are obviously trying things out.

Sure it's early for a trade but it doesn't mean it can't be discussed. I don't think dismissing the idea of Boston acquiring Nylander or Nylander AND Lindholm is necessary at this point in time.

You absolutely cannot trade a talent like Nylander in division. He will haunt us for a decade. Getting a mediocre defensive D and a goalie back just make it even worse.

Reactions: Rocker13 and kb

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

It's also just a terrible trade for us. We'd need something of higher quality.

Having one or two shifts on a top line... does not make someone their top line player.

You think Calgary would trade Lindholm + Vladar for Debrusk and probably a 2025 1st, that might be a late round pick?

The whole premise is terrible, and not realistic.

Reactions: Rocker13 and kb

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Samsanov has been very iffy, and like Tampa's D is seeing, when your goalie is not making big saves it looks real bad on the D core.

Brodie has been worrying me since mid season last year. Him and Gio both look pretty suspect to me. Happy with the rest of the gang so far.

Outside of Brodie falling on his butt, he's been pretty good so far. The Mo and Rielly pair have been one of the better pairings... though Liljegren and Gio have also had decent recents.

McCabe has been the disaster so far, though I'd hope he's going to get better.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It's also just a terrible trade for us. We'd need something of higher quality.

Having one or two shifts on a top line... does not make someone their top line player.

You think Calgary would trade Lindholm + Vladar for Debrusk and probably a 2025 1st, that might be a late round pick?

The whole premise is terrible, and not realistic.
Maybe we have different valuations of Carlo and Swayman. Swayman has been an elite NHL goalie since he entered the league and he's now at 89 games which is a decent sample (same amount of games Samsonov had when he got to Toronto). Carlo is a good top 4 RHD in a league where those are significantly more rare and more valuable than top 6 RW. Carlo is also signed for 4.1M for 4 seasons which is great value relative to the market.

As far as the trade with Calgary goes, I absolutely believe they would make that deal for a pending UFA. When you say late round pick I assume you mean a late 1st. The assumption here is also that Calgary has no desire to pay Lindholm the money he wants which impacts his value to them.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
You absolutely cannot trade a talent like Nylander in division. He will haunt us for a decade. Getting a mediocre defensive D and a goalie back just make it even worse.
What does this mean? He is a 30-40 goal scorer. The Leafs play the Bruins 3-4 times a year. He could score in every single one of those games and it would make a minimal difference on the outcome of any season. There is a far greater chance that Swayman has a bigger impact on any single game than Nylander does.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Maybe we have different valuations of Carlo and Swayman. Swayman has been an elite NHL goalie since he entered the league and he's now at 89 games which is a decent sample (same amount of games Samsonov had when he got to Toronto). Carlo is a good top 4 RHD in a league where those are significantly more rare and more valuable than top 6 RW. Carlo is also signed for 4.1M for 4 seasons which is great value relative to the market.

As far as the trade with Calgary goes, I absolutely believe they would make that deal for a pending UFA. When you say late round pick I assume you mean a late 1st. The assumption here is also that Calgary has no desire to pay Lindholm the money he wants which impacts his value to them.
That's an incorrect assumption. There were rumours players wanted out, as the team underachieved.
Carlo is a "good top 4 RHD" in this league, who is getting 5/6 5v5 minutes on Boston... and I appreciate Boston has good D, but I'd still aim higher.

Why does Boston move their goalie anyway?

These are just bad trades... for both teams. I can see Boston looking for a C.... but we don't have that available. Just bad. Terribad even. Boston isn't going to send their division rival the pieces that make them good now, to try and bandaid their situation.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Outside of Brodie falling on his butt, he's been pretty good so far. The Mo and Rielly pair have been one of the better pairings... though Liljegren and Gio have also had decent recents.

McCabe has been the disaster so far, though I'd hope he's going to get better.

It's crazy how much people are dumping on Brodie. He's been really good outside of a few sequences. This market is just so weird about defensemen.... I'll never understand. But they love someone like Lyubushkin and think he's top pairing or something.

I do think they need to switch up the pairings a bit, especially promoting Liljegren, but it's been ok so far. They need some saves first and foremost.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It's crazy how much people are dumping on Brodie. He's been really good outside of a few sequences. This market is just so weird about defensemen.... I'll never understand. But they love someone like Lyubushkin and think he's top pairing or something.

It's confirmation bias. Someone struggles for a few games, and then they actively look to see if there are repeats, only focusing on the errors. Brodie is still one of the better defenders on the team. I don't have an issue upgrading any of our players.. but moving him out for an inferior player is ridiculous. We need more quality D.. not less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad