Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
What does this mean? He is a 30-40 goal scorer. The Leafs play the Bruins 3-4 times a year. He could score in every single one of those games and it would make a minimal difference on the outcome of any season. There is a far greater chance that Swayman has a bigger impact on any single game than Nylander does.

I disagree with everything here.

He doesn't need to haunt us just in the head to head games. He makes them so much more dangerous.

Make them go and find their own Nylander via picks or UFA. Don't hand them a stud.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
That's an incorrect assumption. There were rumours players wanted out, as the team underachieved.
Carlo is a "good top 4 RHD" in this league, who is getting 5/6 5v5 minutes on Boston... and I appreciate Boston has good D, but I'd still aim higher.
Carlo was 4th among Boston D in TOI/GP last year. Orlov, Lindholm, McAvoy were ahead of him.
Why does Boston move their goalie anyway?
Boston's starter won the Vezina last year. They have a very good asset playing less than half their games. They'd be better suited moving him to improve the team elsewhere.
These are just bad trades... for both teams. I can see Boston looking for a C.... but we don't have that available. Just bad. Terribad even. Boston isn't going to send their division rival the pieces that make them good now, to try and bandaid their situation.
I don't see how this isn't mutually beneficial. Boston's only weakness right now is their forwards. We are well aware of Toronto's weaknesses/strengths.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I disagree with everything here.

He doesn't need to haunt us just in the head to head games. He makes them so much more dangerous.

Make them go and find their own Nylander via picks or UFA. Don't hand them a stud.
Why are we ignoring the fact that Toronto gets Carlo and Swayman in this deal? The impact of Swayman+Carlo is likely higher than the impact of Nylander.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Carlo was 4th among Boston D in TOI/GP last year. Orlov, Lindholm, McAvoy were ahead of him.

Boston's starter won the Vezina last year. They have a very good asset playing less than half their games. They'd be better suited moving him to improve the team elsewhere.

I don't see how this isn't mutually beneficial. Boston's only weakness right now is their forwards. We are well aware of Toronto's weaknesses/strengths.

I said 5v5... please read and comprehend.

Their weakness is Centers.... Centers.... Centers... do you understand?

They aren't giving up assets, unless they get CENTERS back.

Need I mention, that their need is CENTERS?

• Haha
Reactions: LeafChief

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
There's not way to quantify that, and I honestly think it's foolish to think that's true.
There is many ways to quantify the impact of players. There are many public models which do exactly that. These same public models would suggest that Carlo+Swayman have a greater impact than Nylander. This is true for any team that would play Swayman in starters minutes which he wouldn't get in Boston because they have the Vezina winner ahead of him.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
There is many ways to quantify the impact of players. There are many public models which do exactly that. These same public models would suggest that Carlo+Swayman have a greater impact than Nylander. This is true for any team that would play Swayman in starters minutes which he wouldn't get in Boston because they have the Vezina winner ahead of him.
I hope you aren't referring to Dom or JFresh.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I said 5v5... please read and comprehend.

Their weakness is Centers.... Centers.... Centers... do you understand?
Why are we looking at 5v5 and not total TOI? Carlo lead Bruins defenseman in SH TOI last season in the regular season and playoffs and was 4th in TOI/GP. Why just look at 5v5 and ignore the facet of the game where he lead his team?

Is it possible that they are relatively weak at center and wing and they can address both of those? Similar to last year when they acquired a top 6 winger and top 4 defenseman?

I hope you aren't referring to Dom or JFresh.
Dom (The Athletic) does a good job of this. Jfresh doesn't actually own any models, he uses TopDownHockey's model to create visualizations. I also use EvolvingHockey. What data/method do you use to evaluate?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Why are we looking at 5v5 and not total TOI? Carlo lead Bruins defenseman in SH TOI last season in the regular season and playoffs and was 4th in TOI/GP. Why just look at 5v5 and ignore the facet of the game where he lead his team?

Is it possible that they are relatively weak at center and wing and they can address both of those? Similar to last year when they acquired a top 6 winger and top 4 defenseman?
I'm sorry that you are trying to go in circles, about your inability to read correctly. Yes, he's a very useful SH guy. He's also not good enough to be used 5v5 in their top 4 minutes. If I'm moving an elite forward, I want a guy with some sort of proven track record, of playing top four, preferably top 2 minutes on D, 5v5... because that is what WE need. Our team is NOT desperate, for a D man who specializes in SH time. We need a guy who can be paired with Morgan, who has some type of track record in doing so 5v5. You are simply reaching too low.

Being relatively weak at Wing... when they desperately need C help... means they aren't trading for a Winger.... They don't need a winger... maybe they want an upgrade. They NEED a C... and will save their assets for one. They have no NEED for W... want... we all want to upgrade... they'd just sign Kane if they want more help... I mean that's free right? Of course, after satisfying their NEED of a C, and opening some cap space.

Also note, if Boston moves a goalie, it isn't Swayman.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why are we ignoring the fact that Toronto gets Carlo and Swayman in this deal? The impact of Swayman+Carlo is likely higher than the impact of Nylander.
Helps both Teams but when was the last time there was a blockbuster deal within a division? (Honest question, can't think of one)

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'm sorry that you are trying to go in circles, about your inability to read correctly. Yes, he's a very useful SH guy. He's also not good enough to be used 5v5 in their top 4 minutes. If I'm moving an elite forward, I want a guy with some sort of proven track record, of playing top four, preferably top 2 minutes on D, 5v5... because that is what WE need. Our team is NOT desperate, for a D man who specializes in SH time. We need a guy who can be paired with Morgan, who has some type of track record in doing so 5v5.
Rielly did well with Schenn and Lyubushkin who both played the least amount 5v5 on their teams prior to the trades. Carlo is a significantly better defenseman than both of them.
You are simply reaching too low.
I apologize if the trade proposal came off as Carlo for Nylander 1 for 1.
Being relatively weak at Wing... when they desperately need C help... means they aren't trading for a Winger.... They don't need a winger... maybe they want an upgrade. They NEED a C... and will save their assets for one. They have no NEED for W... want... we all want to upgrade... they'd just sign Kane if they want more help... I mean that's free right? Of course, after satisfying their NEED of a C, and opening some cap space.

Also note, if Boston moves a goalie, it isn't Swayman.
I don't have the same access to Boston's front office that you have so I apologize for misreading their plan.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Rielly did well with Schenn and Lyubushkin who both played the least amount 5v5 on their teams prior to the trades. Carlo is a significantly better defenseman than both of them.

I apologize if the trade proposal came off as Carlo for Nylander 1 for 1.

I don't have the same access to Boston's front office that you have so I apologize for misreading their plan.
Maybe read, to find out what the other teams needs are first.

Go ahead.. post this on the trades forum... every Boston fan will tell you it isn't Swayman they'd move, and their need is a C... it's pretty well known.

Reactions: Menzinger and kb

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
It's crazy how much people are dumping on Brodie. He's been really good outside of a few sequences. This market is just so weird about defensemen.... I'll never understand. But they love someone like Lyubushkin and think he's top pairing or something.

I do think they need to switch up the pairings a bit, especially promoting Liljegren, but it's been ok so far. They need some saves first and foremost.

Brodie should be playing 2nd pairing minutes.

For 1.5 seasons he looked like a legit top pairing calibre RD, but he has not played to that level lately. That's not on him, he's just too high in the line up imo.

He gets hemmed in and manhandled so easily, too many lost battles behind the hashes on our end. It's painful to watch Carolina/Boston/Colorado/Dallas and see what actual top pairing RD look like, it's night and day.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I hate to harp on it but not resigning Schenn was a big miss by Tre. He and Rielly were our best pair in the playoffs and he let's Rielly play his game. We would then be able to drop Brodie with Klingberg.

Rielly-Schenn
Brodie-Klinberg
Gio-Liljegren

Best case now might be to hope Carolina falters badly and Pesce becomes available at the deadline.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Maybe read, to find out what the other teams needs are first.

Go ahead.. post this on the trades forum... every Boston fan will tell you it isn't Swayman they'd move, and their need is a C... it's pretty well known.
I do put a lot of value into fan opinions but Swayman was the one on trade boards this summer, not Ullmark. Again - I don't disagree that they need C's, I never did. Teams are allowed to acquire more than 1 player per season though.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I hate to harp on it but not resigning Schenn was a big miss by Tre. He and Rielly were our best pair in the playoffs and he let's Rielly play his game. We would then be able to drop Brodie with Klingberg.

Rielly-Schenn
Brodie-Klinberg
Gio-Liljegren

Best case now might be to hope Carolina falters badly and Pesce becomes available at the deadline.
well it sounded like Schenn was intent on moving on, worst thing would be to overpay a guy who doesn't want to be here, Tre did a good job avoiding that scenario imo............

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I do put a lot of value into fan opinions but Swayman was the one on trade boards this summer, not Ullmark. Again - I don't disagree that they need C's, I never did. Teams are allowed to acquire more than 1 player per season though.
Plenty of people asking for Swayman, that is certainly true, but most often Boston fans saying no, it would be Ullmark to get moved. Some concerns about his extension, which got ironed out. Yes, teams can acquire more than one player per season, but Boston is incredibly thin on assets... like ridiculously so. They really need to focus on their main need.

It seems that Lindholm is off the table for now, though that could change later in the season. The only team that I can see that could make a deal with Boston right now, would be Edmonton. Swapping RNH for Ullmark makes a good deal of sense for both teams.

Reactions: Americanadian

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
well it sounded like Schenn was intent on moving on, worst thing would be to overpay a guy who doesn't want to be here, Tre did a good job avoiding that scenario imo............
Do you have a source for this? I don't remember hearing anything about this at the time.

Reactions: Duffman955

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

The Toronto Maple Leafs and Luke Schenn have a mutual interest in extending their current work relationship. But it appears there seems to be a gap in the negotiations.

Rick Dhaliwal reports that Schenn and the Maple Leafs are still talking, but don't have a framework in place for a new deal.

"He’s not close to signing a contract with the Maple Leafs," Dhaliwal said on his Donnie and Dhali show on Friday. " There’s work to do. They’re talking, but they’re not close. You never know. Luke might hit July 1st."

Dhaliwal reported earlier last week that Schenn had been seeking term and trade protection in a new contract.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It was all about money. I would have loved to have Schenn back... but he wanted, and got too much money for who he is. Congrats to him.

Our biggest need was also someone who could move the puck out of our zone.

Do you have a source for this? I don't remember hearing anything about this at the time.
See my post... his claim is false... They couldn't agree on money.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

The Toronto Maple Leafs and Luke Schenn have a mutual interest in extending their current work relationship. But it appears there seems to be a gap in the negotiations.

Rick Dhaliwal reports that Schenn and the Maple Leafs are still talking, but don't have a framework in place for a new deal.

"He’s not close to signing a contract with the Maple Leafs," Dhaliwal said on his Donnie and Dhali show on Friday. " There’s work to do. They’re talking, but they’re not close. You never know. Luke might hit July 1st."

Dhaliwal reported earlier last week that Schenn had been seeking term and trade protection in a new contract.

It was all about money. I would have loved to have Schenn back... but he wanted, and got too much money for who he is. Congrats to him.

Happy for Schenn... He had been on contracts of less than $900,000 for 5 seasons. For the hard miles he puts in, he deserved this contract more than maybe anyone. Strange for a player to suddenly at 34 get a three year contract 3 times his previous contracts. Maybe an indication of the importance of playing on good team's for players.

Klingberg might have taken note.

Reactions: Kurtz

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Mods can feel free to delete this but someone that has given me some pretty accurate scoops actually in a round about way suggested that there is a chance some tampering did occur there with Schenn.

It was actually progressing well with Toronto, publicly he seemed like the most likely to return out of ROR, Schenn and Acciari. Things changed fast there and we all know that tampering happens in the league but it was a pretty logical/believable explanation for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad