Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Surprisingly Klingberg looked like our best defenceman game 1.

The first few games are always sloppy so I’m not going to panic about anything just yet when it comes to our goaltenders. Hopefully Sammy bounces back otherwise we may be in big trouble.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

horner

May 22, 2007
Our #1 priority should be a dman another poster columbas has a dman available .

Our 1st rd pk will be traded this year ( not for a rental ) hopefully for a young dman on term .

Unless Brodie plays better

We need some good depth on d

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I mentioned Jake Bean a while ago. Peeke would also be a nice addition. Both would be upgrades over Gio.

Reactions: LeafSteel

horner

May 22, 2007
Toews d col 7 yrs 50 mil
Was hoping he would make it to UFA

Probably the benchmark for
Carolina has 2 dman that are UFA's
Skjei 7 mil
Pesce 7 mil
Hanifin 7 mill
Forsling will be the cheapest 6 mil

Montour Is going to be the highest 8.5 he will stay with Florida

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Really nice deal for Toews

Still find it funny Toews was dumped by the Isles because of their cap issues for two 2nds.. one of those picks was then packaged to Arizona to move Andrew Ladd’s contract.

So they’re left with the last pick in the second round as the only piece left of that deal.

A bad series of moves.

Oh and making other moves to keep Toews likely eliminates the need to move that 1st round pick for Romanov

horner

May 22, 2007

Still find it funny Toews was dumped by the Isles because of their cap issues for two 2nds.. one of those picks was then packaged to Arizona to move Andrew Ladd’s contract.

So they’re left with the last pick in the second round as the only piece left of that deal.

A bad series of moves.

Oh and making other moves to keep Toews likely eliminates the need to move that 1st round pick for Romanov
To bad dubas didn't make a trade for him when he was available.
2 2nds was cheap

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
so they move Byram now or he'll bridge cause of his injury history?

the landeskog injury gives them an interesting window to take on extra cap for one year

horner

May 22, 2007
Eric Brandstrom D Ott 2 mil RFA at the end of the year.
Won't cost alot Ottawa needs to clear cap space.
Just seen it on the tsn

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Each year when Dubas made trades to upgrade, he essentially always used picks. I can't really think of a prospect of note he tradedsince Durzi and Grundstrom in the Muzzin deal. I could be forgetting one though.

Now with Treliving on board, he isn't tied to these prospects like Dubas would be. I wonder if this year we see prospects traded based on that and also to keep some picks overall. Though, other teams will need to value our prospects as well. I'm not sure if anyone other than Knies (if you count him as a prospect), Minten or Cowan would move the needle for any significant upgrades. At this point, anyone not the 3 I listen would only bring low-pairing, 4th line upgrades on their own.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Each year when Dubas made trades to upgrade, he essentially always used picks. I can't really think of a prospect of note he tradedsince Durzi and Grundstrom in the Muzzin deal. I could be forgetting one though.

Now with Treliving on board, he isn't tied to these prospects like Dubas would be. I wonder if this year we see prospects traded based on that and also to keep some picks overall. Though, other teams will need to value our prospects as well. I'm not sure if anyone other than Knies (if you count him as a prospect), Minten or Cowan would move the needle for any significant upgrades. At this point, anyone not the 3 I listen would only bring low-pairing, 4th line upgrades on their own.

I would probably agree to a certain degree. I think that the majority of the front office is similar though, especially the scouts, so perhaps it's not overly different.

I don't think there's an untouchable prospect per say. Knies is probably the only the closest to that tag right now. The other prospects all have a price point, some much higher than others obviously. Hypothetically if say Columbus approaches me and offers me someone like Werenski, I probably don't mind to give up Cowan in that kind of trade.

I don't think Treliving will mind giving up a bunch of picks to grab players that will help now and hopefully for a few more years.

horner

May 22, 2007

Was just looking at the Gio trade with Seattle.
2022 (2nd), 2023 (3rd), 2024 (2nd)
For
Gio (50% retained) Blackwell

Not a good trade

Gio looks finished

And the folingo trade for 1st
He was injured when we acquired him.

I don't mind giving up these picks but you need a much better return

Hope treliving ends this practice

1st should not be used for a rental

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafSteel

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I would probably agree to a certain degree. I think that the majority of the front office is similar though, especially the scouts, so perhaps it's not overly different.

I don't think there's an untouchable prospect per say. Knies is probably the only the closest to that tag right now. The other prospects all have a price point, some much higher than others obviously. Hypothetically if say Columbus approaches me and offers me someone like Werenski, I probably don't mind to give up Cowan in that kind of trade.

I don't think Treliving will mind giving up a bunch of picks to grab players that will help now and hopefully for a few more years.

Cowans concerns me a great deal.

He just might be a homerun pick.

The fact he came out of nowhere, and elevated his game late in the year, looked as good against men in the preseason, and highlights of the Knights game ... trading him could end up being Niedermayer for Kurvers.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Does anyone else see the Devon Toews contract as a neat and tidy bundle that could one day fit onto the Toronto Maple Leafs, if something were to shake loose with the Nylander situation if a trade emerges between Toronto and Colorado?

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The fact he came out of nowhere, and elevated his game late in the year, looked as good against men in the preseason, and highlights of the Knights game ... trading him could end up being Niedermayer for Kurvers.

He's giving me Seth Jarvis to Brayden Point stylistic vibes. I feel the way the puck "follows" him around is a sign of something very special cooking.

horner

May 22, 2007

Cowen knies and Minten are the exact type of young players need .
Known of these players should be traded.
All 3 could be a leaf next season and will will save in cap space for 3 yrs.
They will allow us to concentrate on our defence

We have a 1st this year to use and other prospects
Next year is the time to build the defence through Free Agency

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rocker13 and ULF_55

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Trading picks rather than prospects allow the current team the opportunity for an influx of prospects during the contention window. Trading a 1st rather than Knies as an example allows them to have a top 9 forward on an ELC this season.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Each year when Dubas made trades to upgrade, he essentially always used picks. I can't really think of a prospect of note he tradedsince Durzi and Grundstrom in the Muzzin deal. I could be forgetting one though...
I think he also traded Mason Marchment and Alexander Barabanov whilst GM of Leafs although they weren't noteable till after they got traded.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

A bad series of moves.

They were locked into Nick Leddy at the time with Adam Pelech on an ELC. Imagine if Lou had the stones to Deal Leddy instead. The choice may have been influenced by Trotz as well but a bad deal with legs to it for the Isles.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
They were locked into Nick Leddy at the time with Adam Pelech on an ELC. Imagine if Lou had the stones to Deal Leddy instead. The choice may have been influenced by Trotz as well but a bad deal with legs to it for the Isles.

Trotz didn’t trust Toews, that was obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad