Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Just to be clear, it would take more than Reaves to get that deal done... but his cap hit was what I saw, if somehow you could convince Columbus to eat half of Peeke's hit.

I posted in the wrong thread. My bad. See second thread down.

View attachment 750682
All good. Camps over, they should just close that up.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If you are bringing in Peeke, Brodie needs to be moved to make cap space.

Moving on from Brodie needs to happen ASAP. He still has value and I fear a significant decline this season.

Get an asset for him now, and bring in a player like Peeke who is a much better long term fit for us.

Brodie is a UFA and we need to move on. It’s bad enough we are carrying 40 year old Giordano to boot.

Our defence isn’t good enough as it stands.
Brodie is still probably a better player than Peeke today. I agree that moving on from him now would be shrewd. I was surprised it didn't happen this summer.

Two under the radar RD targets I'd look at to pair with Rielly are Kovacevic and Benning.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Moving on from Brodie needs to happen ASAP. He still has value and I fear a significant decline this season.

Get an asset for him now, and bring in a player like Peeke who is a much better long term fit for us.

Brodie is a UFA and we need to move on. It’s bad enough we are carrying 40 year old Giordano to boot.

Personally, I think people are overreacting on Brodie. He's only 33, and he's one of the best defensive D men in the league. A few bad games in the playoffs doesn't change that at all.

I don't disagree with you on the issue with Brodie being a UFA, but even a slightly diminished Brodie, is better than Peeke, and I've been one saying we should get Peeke for a few seasons now.

Moving our best defensive D man, doesn't make our defense better... unless we find someone even better, and that's pretty rare.

------------------------------------------

That being said.... I'd move Klingberg, and send Columbus our 1st, Robertson, Holmberg, plus whatever we'd get for Klingberg...and probably further futures assets for Boqvist and Peeke... one of them at 50%... and that fits cap wise, and does a great deal for our D future.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
So,

20 man base roster while Timmins is out, with room to call up a spare F or D as needed with plenty of viable NHL options either waiver exempt or just passed through and safe for a call up.

No room to activate Timmins, will cross that bridge when we get to it.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Brodie is still a top 4 defenseman in the league. Closer to a #4 than a #2 though.

The problem last year was with his usage. It's always been that way when it comes to the defense. Because the allocation of money was focused on forwards, they're forcing guys to play beyond what they should be doing. They need more out of Liljegren this year and they need to have Giordano around the 65 game mark.

If you played Brodie on the 2nd pair this year and limited him to 5 on 5 with PK minutes and kept him around the 18:30 a night, he would look very good.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
We're not a fit at all anymore but... could be interesting if given away. He's a solid player.

There is such a perfect fit with Brodie for Garland. Basically equals against the cap. Vancouver needs a partner for Quinn Hughes. Vancouver would theoretically be adding, whether that be their 2025 2nd or Podkolzin. Brodie would expire right before they start getting squeezed by the new EP40 contract and the OEL buyout. Garland would be an awesome fit on any of the Leafs top lines.

The Leafs would then have to somehow find a replacement for Brodie at ~3.1M (assuming 20 man roster).

edit: 3.1M if they trade Jarnkrok who would no longer have a role.

Last edited:

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
There is such a perfect fit with Brodie for Garland. Basically equals against the cap. Vancouver needs a partner for Quinn Hughes. Vancouver would theoretically be adding, whether that be their 2025 2nd or Podkolzin. Brodie would expire right before they start getting squeezed by the new EP40 contract and the OEL buyout. Garland would be an awesome fit on any of the Leafs top lines.

The Leafs would then have to somehow find a replacement for Brodie at ~2.15M.

At this point in the season when all of the teams just solidified their rosters, who could realistically be out there for the Leafs to get?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
At this point in the season when all of the teams just solidified their rosters, who could realistically be out there for the Leafs to get?
Nashville is playing 2 RD on their 3rd pair and paying them both 2.5M while also sitting a LD at 2M with 3 years left so I imagine either of those players are available and I imagine they would take Jarnkrok (Trotz familiarity).

San Jose has 4 RD on their roster including Hedman's partner for both of TB's cups making 2.75M on their 3rd pair. Matt Benning was awesome for SJ last year and revived Vlasic's career. He is making 1.25M for the next 3 seasons on their 2nd pair.

CBJ reportedly have a RD available and Peeke fits the mold of the type of player that has succeeded with Rielly.

Colin Miller is also the 7D in NJ. He isn't necessarily a stylistic fit next to Rielly but he has history of being a good player.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafSteel

Leafs4Life77

Sep 30, 2009

The Leafs would then have to somehow find a replacement for Brodie at ~3.1M (assuming 20 man roster).

edit: 3.1M if they trade Jarnkrok who would no longer have a role.

Can't imagine the Leafs have interest in Garland at 4.95M in 2024-2025 and 2025-2026 when we have 88 and 16 to sign / replace.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Can't imagine the Leafs have interest in Garland at 4.95M in 2024-2025 and 2025-2026 when we have 88 and 16 to sign / replace.
I don't think they have to worry about Marner. His raise should be fully covered by Tavares' decrease in salary. Nylander will probably go up 2.5M if he re-signs. That will be covered by the cap going up.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
There is a 3-way deal to be made where VAN gets Brodie, NSH gets Jarnkrok+VAN 2025 2nd or VAN 2024 3rd, TOR gets Garland, Fabbro.

Vancouver gets rid of their long-term cap commitment and get a partner for Hughes. The cap hits offset.

Nashville make room for Lauzon in the lineup while picking up a capable middle-6 forward they are familiar with and a draft pick.

Toronto gets better depth up front and a potential fit in the top 6 if Nylander does walk. They also get a 25 year old RD with 250 NHL games who they can try as 1RD. If he fails next to Rielly they can pivot later in the season by moving off of him or Klingberg. If he plays well they have a RD with team control beyond this season. Toronto ends up paying an additional 350k on the.

Edit: Fabbro is the 7D for Nashville today and they have a hole at 2RW with Sherwood currently holding that spot. This trade would make perfect sense for them.

Last edited:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I wouldn't mind Peeke but why would Columbus move him when he seems to be the best partner for Werenski on their roster?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't really see a scenario in which Brodie is traded unless they can immediately bring in a replacement vet top 4 D man as a replacement, which then begs the question "what's the point"

We're not a fit at all anymore but... could be interesting if given away. He's a solid player.

Too much money and too much term for more liking. I'd rather keep the cap flexibility in case the team decides to extend Bertuzzi or Domi

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Nashville is playing 2 RD on their 3rd pair and paying them both 2.5M while also sitting a LD at 2M with 3 years left so I imagine either of those players are available and I imagine they would take Jarnkrok (Trotz familiarity).

San Jose has 4 RD on their roster including Hedman's partner for both of TB's cups making 2.75M on their 3rd pair. Matt Benning was awesome for SJ last year and revived Vlasic's career. He is making 1.25M for the next 3 seasons on their 2nd pair.

CBJ reportedly have a RD available and Peeke fits the mold of the type of player that has succeeded with Rielly.

Colin Miller is also the 7D in NJ. He isn't necessarily a stylistic fit next to Rielly but he has history of being a good player.

I guess the problem that I would have with that is you're hoping that one of these players that are playing as a #5 o #7 elsewhere or on the bottom pairing, to come in with a team that has deep playoff aspirations and play as a #2.

I can't see replacing Brodie with Lauzon/Fabbro or Brodie with Benning. Not to say it can't happen, but that doesn't give the Leafs an upgrade.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I guess the problem that I would have with that is you're hoping that one of these players that are playing as a #5 o #7 elsewhere or on the bottom pairing, to come in with a team that has deep playoff aspirations and play as a #2.

I can't see replacing Brodie with Lauzon/Fabbro or Brodie with Benning. Not to say it can't happen, but that doesn't give the Leafs an upgrade.
I completely agree but the Leafs have picked up Schenn and Lyubushkin to partner with Rielly the last 2 seasons who were both last on their respective teams in TOI when they were traded.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I completely agree but the Leafs have picked up Schenn and Lyubushkin to partner with Rielly the last 2 seasons who were both last on their respective teams in TOI when they were traded.

Yeah, that's a fair point as well. It seems like Rielly really seems to thrive when he has that true stay at home defenseman. So much of the game now is to transition the puck and teams get caught up in discarding the stay at home guys for someone that might produce some offense. Then the playoffs come around and you start looking for Schenn, Gudas, etc. and then they partner with Rielly anyways lol

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Yeah, that's a fair point as well. It seems like Rielly really seems to thrive when he has that true stay at home defenseman. So much of the game now is to transition the puck and teams get caught up in discarding the stay at home guys for someone that might produce some offense. Then the playoffs come around and you start looking for Schenn, Gudas, etc. and then they partner with Rielly anyways lol
I'd be leaning towards Fabbro who doesn't fit that rugged defenseman mold but has been very good defensively the last 2 seasons and should have a relatively low acquisition cost.

Reactions: LeafParade

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Friedman writes in the 32T blog that the Leafs offered Lafferty for Deharnais. Shame it didn'thapen, Desharnais is exactly what we need.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
With Columbus looking at moving a defenseman,

To Toronto-
Andrew Peeke

To Columbus-
Calle Jarnkrok
Nick Robertson

Rielly-Peeke
Brodie-Klingberg
McCabe-Liljegren
Giordano
I like the swap but would only give up Robertson if Peeke comes at 50%

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I'd be leaning towards Fabbro who doesn't fit that rugged defenseman mold but has been very good defensively the last 2 seasons and should have a relatively low acquisition cost.
I've also been eyeing Fabbro because I assume the acquisition cost is low, and he may be able to partner Reilly.

The problem is any deal acquiring a D probably means Brodie has to go the other way. Flipping Brodie for Fabbro + pieces is quite a gamble on a team that wants to contend. The "+ pieces" would really have to be intriguing for me to entertain it. We would then have rights of Fabbro, Lilly, and Timmins going forward, and be crossing our fingers that these 3 turn into a solid right side which may be quite the prayer.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Trades are going to continually be very, very hard to make for this organization.

When you have guys who get all the money, a whole whack who get none of the money, and only a few in the middle, you're not going to be able to make many trades. This will take years to rectify, but was the brainchild of our previous management.

Our new management have added a few players into that middle ground, but as people have pointed out with trying to move Tavares, we can't move these guys or no one will ever, ever sign for us again.

Eventually we are going to have to move away from some higher earners and start to bring in more middle ground, to add some flexibility for the new management.

No one is going to pay Brodie 7.5mil in real money imo, unless we can move him to Pittsburgh for a 1st.

Reactions: Americanadian

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Trades are going to continually be very, very hard to make for this organization.

When you have guys who get all the money, a whole whack who get none of the money, and only a few in the middle, you're not going to be able to make many trades.
Funny, I feel as though the Leafs make a decent amount of trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad