Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Personally, I think people are overreacting on Brodie. He's only 33, and he's one of the best defensive D men in the league. A few bad games in the playoffs doesn't change that at all.

100%.
I keep seeing people talking about how he’s regressed. No he hasn’t. He had a few injuries last year and never fully got his game right afterwards. There’s no evidence he’s regressed at this point.

We should be adding to the defense not subtracting our best defender

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder who will be Treliving's first big fish addition over the next year or so, whether through trade or signing in free agency. He hasn't really made a big trade or anything yet, just signings.

The Leafs have about 32M in cap space right now going into next season. Nylander re-signing will change that a lot obviously, and how the season goes.

Should be interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocker13

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think we should sign Comtois to a one year, league minimum contract. He played fairly well for Vegas in camp, but didn't stick. He's motivated to stay in the league. Stick him on waivers, and play him on the Marlies, and he's injury insurance. I wouldn't be worried about the risk of him being claimed, if he is, no big deal really..... but he's a big body, who at minimum can help with the Marlies, and perhaps he finds his game again.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I think we should sign Comtois to a one year, league minimum contract. He played fairly well for Vegas in camp, but didn't stick. He's motivated to stay in the league. Stick him on waivers, and play him on the Marlies, and he's injury insurance. I wouldn't be worried about the risk of him being claimed, if he is, no big deal really..... but he's a big body, who at minimum can help with the Marlies, and perhaps he finds his game again.
I’m all over this, but was he released from his PTO without a contract offer?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

1 year 800-900k 1way. Not many teams will claim that. Leafs are also at 46/50 contracts, so plenty of room for this kind of signing. I like it.

The thing it does though is that it removes development time from a younger player. Not ideal. They already have a lot of AAAA/vets there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sypher04

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I’m all over this, but was he released from his PTO without a contract offer?

Correct, released from PTO... No idea if he receive a contract offer, but it seems improbable that he'd turn down the only offer he'd get.

1 year 850-900k 1way. Not many teams will claim that. Leafs are also at 46/50 contracts, so plenty of room for this kind of signing. I like it.

The thing it does though is that it removes develop time from a younger player. Not ideal. They already have a lot of AAAA/vets there.
Robertson-Holmberg-Abruzzese
Hirvonen-Gambrell-Steeves
Blandisi-Shaw-Ellis
Clifford-Slavin-Tverberg

Do we really care about the development of Blandisi and Clifford?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Correct, released from PTO... No idea if he receive a contract offer, but it seems improbable that he'd turn down the only offer he'd get.
Just read it, Vegas didn’t offer him one and he’s a UFA.

Definitely ups the competition for LW and leaves Robertson down on the Marlies where he needs to be to get his timing back and further develop between the ears.

I think if it’s made clear to Robertson he’s spending the year in the AHL, it will help him settle down and focus on improving the basics vs trying to do too much to do anything to get back to the Leafs.

I felt Comtois would have been a great TDL target last year, and I’m still hoping we give him a shot.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Robertson-Holmberg-Abruzzese
Hirvonen-Gambrell-Steeves
Blandisi-Shaw-Ellis
Clifford-Slavin-Tverberg

Do we really care about the development of Blandisi and Clifford?

Shaw and Blandisi are definitely not playing that low in the lineup. McMann is also in there somewhere, probably top line. The Marlies always need a lot of depth because of call-ups and injuries, so it's not a huge deal but I think this would remove some playing time from the likes of Tverberg, Ovichnnikov and Hirvonen, and also cut down on top minutes from other young players.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I mean our youngsters on LW with the Marlies are Robertson and Hirvonen. Neither are sure fire NHLers at this point, though both possess attributes and I hope they make it. Comtois has been successful at the NHL level, but seems to lack the drive and consistency needed to really fill what seemed like decent potential. But he has size, physicality and can score goals... all good things, all things we could use. He can help the Marlies, and maybe this motivates him enough to work his way back, and be a 20:20 guy on a third line in the future... or it's just a league minimum contract, and it doesn't work out... no risk to me.

Reactions: LeafSteel

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I do think the risk/reward if Comtois has interest in playing in the AHL on a 1 way deal would be really really good. Only 24 years old, turning 25 in January. I'm not sure if he would clear waivers but could be interesting if you make it 1 way and expensive enough. A lot of good players cleared waivers a few days ago.

I wonder why he hasn't had much interest.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Comtois isn't the player everyone thinks he is. Same with ZAR last year, we thought he would have more snarl to his game, but didn't

We can't keep signing players to 1 year contracts and not give opportunities to our own home grown players.

If we need someone like Comtois, we can get later in the season. I say early in the season give some Marlies few looks to see what we have

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Comtois isn't the player everyone thinks he is. Same with ZAR last year, we thought he would have more snarl to his game, but didn't

We can't keep signing players to 1 year contracts and not give opportunities to our own home grown players.

If we need someone like Comtois, we can get later in the season. I say early in the season give some Marlies few looks to see what we have
We just gave a bunch of Marlies a few looks to see what they had, and waived a bunch of them, with no one picked up.

There is no question Comtois can be an NHL player, unlike the guys we just sent down.

The question with Comtois is if he is a good player stuck on a bad team, who can benefit from a change of scenery. If he is, he is immediately better than every player we just sent down.

I get the point you are trying to make, but I think Comtois shouldn’t be compared to McMann, Holmberg, etc. He has demonstrated more upside in the past.

Reactions: fahad203

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I get what you are saying. I'm suggesting we sign him, and send him to the Marlies... and then, everyone earns their injury opportunity. If that's one of the other current Marlies, good for them. If it's Comtois, good for him. He isn't a signing to be on the current roster, but to give him the opportunity to earn the first shot, when someone gets injured. The best player deserves that opportunity, and if we end up with a better player in Comtois, than one of the other current Marlies, so be it... He's proven he can play in the NHL, and he needs to rebuild his game.

ZAR finished his checks... Comtois does too.. but he's a bigger guy doing it. He's not a Reaves by any means in that regards though.

I just think that they more talent that you have in the system the better, more competition for spots, and if he earns it great, and if someone else does... that's fine too.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It is alarming that a guy who lead his NHL team in scoring at 21 is out of the league at 24. There is no risk to signing him at league minimum and assigning him to the Marlies but I'm curious why no one else has taken a chance on him so far. He feels destined for the Panthers.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Max Jones
Dustin Wolf (if Calgary keeps Vladar)
Alex Turcotte
Akil Thomas
Kaedan Korczak (seems blocked by Pachal)
Victor Soderstrom
Logan Stanley
Ville Heinola
Dylan Coghlan
Nolan Foote
Ty Smith
Hendrix Lapierre
Conor McMichael
Jonatan Berggren
Nick Robertson
Conor Timmins (Makes too much for Toronto's 7th D)

Early look at what young players could be available

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
It will be interesting to see what happens once things get going. Could be wrong, but seems inevitable and likely smart to have Minten go back at 9 games. So it opens a hole at C. There is already one on D, arguable 2 depending on how some perform.

How they get filled, I don't know, but don't want to see the likes of Cowan or more 1sts go out the door.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It will be interesting to see what happens once things get going. Could be wrong, but seems inevitable and likely smart to have Minten go back at 9 games. So it opens a hole at C. There is already one on D, arguable 2 depending on how some perform.

How they get filled, I don't know, but don't want to see the likes of Cowan or more 1sts go out the door.

Why is it inevitable? If you're prepared to play him now, you are prepared to play him for the season. Things can change in the 9 games but I think the Leafs are prepared to keep him without question. Why waste your time with the 9 games if you're gonna send him down and create a hole?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I think Treliving's first trade is going to be for a Rugged Defenseman.

Like Friedman said, someone like Deharnais from the Oilers makes sense (he's probably not gonna be available)

Wonder who else might be out there. Robert Bertuzzo?

Reactions: jaric1862

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Like Friedman said, someone like Deharnais from the Oilers makes sense (he's probably not gonna be available)

It will very much depend on the teams that are selling and who is performing to a standard that would elevate the defensive pairings. That can change quite a bit from now to the trade deadline.

Matt Dumba would probably fit and Arizona probably will suck again. He's not super physical but he's ok.

One player I'd keep an eye on would be Gudbranson from the Blue Jackets. If they suck, they might be willing to retain on his contract to trade him. I don't think he's all that good but could be a good bet on a 2M-3M contract and Treliving knows him well.

Another option would be Dante Fabbro from the Preds. I don't think it would take much to get him out of Nashville. Could be a low risk addition for depth but doesn't really fit the "rugged" part.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I wonder who will be Treliving's first big fish addition over the next year or so, whether through trade or signing in free agency. He hasn't really made a big trade or anything yet, just signings.

The Leafs have about 32M in cap space right now going into next season. Nylander re-signing will change that a lot obviously, and how the season goes.

Should be interesting.

It'll probably be Nylander extension, or maybe one of Domi or Bertuzzi (assuming all goes well with their on ice play and one of them opts to play ball on aav for term)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It'll probably be Nylander extension, or maybe one of Domi or Bertuzzi (assuming all goes well with their on ice play and one of them opts to play ball on aav for term)

There was a rumour the Leafs and Bertuzzi are both willing to extend in January. The 1 year deal was just to accommodate the flat cap. If things go well, I could see the Leafs giving him a longer term deal around the 6M range.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Columbus has made three of their D available and allegedly willing to sell the first at the highest price they get. Peeke and Boqvist are two of the available guys.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Game 1 / 82 and they're rarely a work of art but something to watch between now and American Thanksgiving

3C - Will Minten be here after 9 GP? Can Holmberg hold it down? Do they need to go external?

G - Didn't love Samsonov or Woll in pre-season and I didn't think it was the best game from Samsonov. If neither can provide stable/consistent goaltending, that could be a sore point all year

D - Brodie kinda picked up from where he left off in the playoffs in a bad way. Liljegren shanked a pass, goal against and we saw that a few games last year, a routine pass mess up. We already probably would have liked to upgrade on Giordano but if we're needing 2-3 defenseman...yikes.

Hopefully we don't have all of these things to worry about as it's unlikely we can actually fix them but these are the issues to keep an eye on, we kinda knew about them going into the year anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad