Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I haven't watched Allison play (but there was some hype about him over the last few days while he was on waivers).
I am admittedly biased because I watched him at WMU and his 2017-18 season was the best performance I've ever seen from a Bronco. He has been largely unspectacular at the NHL level but he isn't outright bad like Reaves. He provides a physical presence and will fight.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
With Columbus looking at moving a defenseman,

To Toronto-
Andrew Peeke

To Columbus-
Calle Jarnkrok
Nick Robertson

Rielly-Peeke
Brodie-Klingberg
McCabe-Liljegren
Giordano

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
That’s a factor to consider, but do you think that means this contract doesn’t diminish Nylander’s strength asking for 10? A comparable player just signed for much less… again…

Nylander signing an 8 year deal takes him to 36.
It 100% should impact Nylander asking for 10 million. It won't, but it should.

When you add in the center premium I think it pretty much negates the small difference in age.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

Peeke is most likely the guy on the trading block. His contract is $2.75 mil. He was trending towards becoming a very good shutdown D, but wasn't very good last year, on a bad team.

Our biggest challenge, is the cap, and moving guys out, and hurting an already thin offensive group. It's the type of move that you make, if you think Brodie is cooked, find a new home for him, and then pick up a guy like Peeke, and hope that he can get back onto the trajectory he appeared to be on.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
""

Peeke is most likely the guy on the trading block. His contract is $2.75 mil. He was trending towards becoming a very good shutdown D, but wasn't very good last year, on a bad team.

Our biggest challenge, is the cap, and moving guys out, and hurting an already thin offensive group. It's the type of move that you make, if you think Brodie is cooked, find a new home for him, and then pick up a guy like Peeke, and hope that he can get back onto the trajectory he appeared to be on.

Brodie's main issue is he makes 7.5M real cash this year

Plus the assets we'd likely be peddling right now such as Robertson and Timmins (CBJ don't want D back) - still wouldn't make Peeke fit in our cap situation.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Brodie's main issue is he makes 7.5M real cash this year

Plus the assets we'd likely be peddling right now such as Robertson and Timmins (CBJ don't want D back) - still wouldn't make Peeke fit in our cap situation.

and if we move Brodie, we'd need a Brodie replacement back. At this point, Peeke is a complimentary #4 at best...and I'm not saying he can't play higher, but he hasn't grown into that yet.
So maybe not the ideal guy for us, even though he's a guy I would have wanted in the past.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
""

I wonder if they would be willing to do retention, could be a Gio replacement borderline if the cap was lowered down to 1.3 million and then if Brodie has a bad season you let him walk and have his replacement in Peeke already or have the cap space to pursue other options

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
and if we move Brodie, we'd need a Brodie replacement back. At this point, Peeke is a complimentary #4 at best...and I'm not saying he can't play higher, but he hasn't grown into that yet.
So maybe not the ideal guy for us, even though he's a guy I would have wanted in the past.
The questions is: is he better or equal to Lyubushkin and Schenn and can he fill that role?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

The questions is: is he better or equal to Lyubushkin and Schenn and can he fill that role?

He's a guy that I wouldn't of minded adding as a piece to the puzzle but we're up against the cap unfortunately.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
In a world where Peeke is acquired, Brodie theoretically needs to go out unless you move Gio out of the everyday lineup and move Brodie to 2LD which would require the Leafs to find 2.75M in new cap space. They can free up ~930k in space by signing Gregor at 775k and demoting Cowan, waiving McMann.

Reactions: Avilaj07

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs don't really have the cap space to add whatever Columbus wants to give up.

Brodie isn't going anywhere and Jarnkrok doesn't make enough. Also, the Leafs probably need Jarnkrok a lot more than whatever Columbus wants to dump.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don't know what moves it will be but defense will be the focus of trades all year. I think the team has to be happy with the forward and goalie depth. Defense is scary though. With Timmins hurt we don't even have a really solid 7th D option. If the Giordano from the playoffs is who he is now that will be another issue. I feel like we most likely acquire multiple defenseman over the course of the season. We need both talent and depth reinforcements. Rest of the team looks solid.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't know what moves it will be but defense will be the focus of trades all year. I think the team has to be happy with the forward and goalie depth. Defense is scary though. With Timmins hurt we don't even have a really solid 7th D option. I feel like we most likely acquire multiple defenseman over the course of the season

Kokkonen is unproven but I thought he had a great camp but makes me happy about depth...ditto Benoit (feel like missing camp and being on a bad camp means we need to really help him improve).

Upper end defenseman though? Yea, that's a focus this year for sure, we will need to upgrade.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Treliving should be on the line with CBJ. Suggestion .. Nick Robertson for Adam Boqvist.

Blue Jackets Working On Trade To Move Defenseman

October 10, 2023

The Columbus Blue Jackets are “engaged in trade dialogue with teams” about moving a defenseman off their NHL roster, sources tell Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli. Seravalli adds these talks are “likely centered” around one of Jake Bean, Adam Boqvist and Andrew Peeke, but that general manager Jarmo Kekalainen is likely to “move whomever they find gets them most back.” The team’s roster crunch on defense left a pair of young defenders expected to earn NHL jobs, Nick Blankenburg and David Jiricek, off the team’s opening night roster yesterday.

This roster crunch didn’t come out of nowhere. After injuries depleted the Blue Jackets’ blueline depth for most of last season, Kekalainen acquired a pair of top-four defenders via trade back in June: Ivan Provorov from the Flyers and Damon Severson from the Devils. It would make sense, then, that both of those players are untouchables, as well as their top defenseman, Zach Werenski. The seventh defenseman on the active roster, Erik Gudbranson, carries a ten-team no-trade list and is locked into a rather unattractive $4MM cap hit through 2026.

That means the three defensemen Seravalli mentioned are the only realistic possibilities to get moved, and it’s hard to imagine Bean and Peeke would attract higher trade value than Boqvist. The 23-year-old right-shot defender was a core piece of the trade that sent Seth Jones to the Blackhawks in 2021. While injuries have affected his time in Columbus, he looks well on his way to becoming an everyday top-four player.

Reactions: geo25

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yes, I think he's better than both of those guys. Both of those guys are career #6's IMO. He's got more mobility that either of those two. Sure, Schenn filled in beside Rielly for us, but he's a clear bottom pairing guy career wise.

Peeke is a complete black hole offensively thought, always will be.. but if he's a guy who eventually can work with Mo.. then it doesn't matter... just play the safe stay at home.

I just don't know how to make it work cap wise though. I'm looking at it... and it's Peeke @50% for Reaves + actual assets for the trade. People will hate moving Reaves, but maybe after 10-15 games that will change.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yes, I think he's better than both of those guys. Both of those guys are career #6's IMO. He's got more mobility that either of those two. Sure, Schenn filled in beside Rielly for us, but he's a clear bottom pairing guy career wise.

Peeke is a complete black hole offensively thought, always will be.. but if he's a guy who eventually can work with Mo.. then it doesn't matter... just play the safe stay at home.

I just don't know how to make it work cap wise though. I'm looking at it... and it's Peeke @50% for Reaves + actual assets for the trade. People will hate moving Reaves, but maybe after 10-15 games that will change.
Leafs outbid the two year $3m contract Minny offered Reaves. I doubt there is another team out there that will trade for Reaves and his 3 years.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I would move Reaves in a heartbeat but I don't see Treliving doing it. There's 2 players you can realistically subtract from the roster (Brodie, Jarnkrok) but CBJ doesn't need either of them. I could see a 3-way deal where NSH get's Jarnkrok (Trotz might like the player?), CBJ get Glass and TOR get Peeke with additional picks going from TOR to NSH.

I can also see a deal where Brodie gets dealt to VAN, Peeke to TOR, and Garland to CBJ. This would make Toronto immediately worse but would also free up a lot of room for them to pursue another upgrade in-season.

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

If Peeke is any sort of quality D then you move Reaves in a heartbeat to make it happen. Personally I don't know much about the player, I didn't watch much Columbus the last couple seasons.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
With Cowan going to London today and McMann on waivers the Leafs will have ~920k in space. It wouldn't be surprising if they called up Holmberg since they can't accrue cap space.
Yeah they are definitely going on o call someone up. I’d prefer a Dman just because I believe Gio will need time off this year but everyone will have their own opinions

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If Peeke is any sort of quality D then you move Reaves in a heartbeat to make it happen. Personally I don't know much about the player, I didn't watch much Columbus the last couple seasons.

Just to be clear, it would take more than Reaves to get that deal done... but his cap hit was what I saw, if somehow you could convince Columbus to eat half of Peeke's hit.

Title was changed hours ago??
I posted in the wrong thread. My bad. See second thread down.

1696962133308.png

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I would move Reaves in a heartbeat but I don't see Treliving doing it. There's 2 players you can realistically subtract from the roster (Brodie, Jarnkrok) but CBJ doesn't need either of them. I could see a 3-way deal where NSH get's Jarnkrok (Trotz might like the player?), CBJ get Glass and TOR get Peeke with additional picks going from TOR to NSH.

I can also see a deal where Brodie gets dealt to VAN, Peeke to TOR, and Garland to CBJ. This would make Toronto immediately worse but would also free up a lot of room for them to pursue another upgrade in-season.
If you are bringing in Peeke, Brodie needs to be moved to make cap space.

Moving on from Brodie needs to happen ASAP. He still has value and I fear a significant decline this season.

Get an asset for him now, and bring in a player like Peeke who is a much better long term fit for us.

Brodie is a UFA and we need to move on. It’s bad enough we are carrying 40 year old Giordano to boot.

Our defence isn’t good enough as it stands.

Reactions: Super Mega
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad