Minten could become Holmberg.
Robby. Could sub in for Gregor.

Rielly. Brodie
McCabe Klingberg
Giordano. Lilly
Kokkonen

Works.

You could add Benoit instead

Unfortunately even without Laff I don’t think we can keep Timmins up when healthy

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That makes the trade with Chicago: a 1st and a 2nd, plus Joey Anderson for McCabe and three 5th round draft choices. Interesting how it's netted out.

Most of the value we got back in that trade was Jake McCabe at a very low AAV to work with the cap structure.

What went out the door wasn't too dissimilar to what Edmonton paid for Ekholm, but the Oilers didn't get very much cap relief, but superior quality on the ice. Trade offs.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Nylander > Connor because he is the better playmaker, but Connor is in the same ballpark. In two years you can afford to pay 16, 34 and Connor what he is worth. The problem with Willie is he is not softening yet and the closer we get to the TDL, the more leverage he has. IMO, once the TDL passes, there is no reason for Willie not to test free agency (see John Tavares and Johnny Hockey). I'd rather be left with Connor who probably scores 50 as a Leaf.
Points being equal, a 47 goal scorer is worth more than a 40 goal guy and being a better playmaker isn't an advantage if you are scoring fewer total points. Connor has zero chances to play with better offensive players than himself where Willie gets to do that regularly so Willie is in a better position to see his passes turn into goals. Toronto has scored more goals than the Jets for several seasons. They are very similar producers as playmakers but Connor is the better shooter.

Reactions: ToneDog

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Still, salary relief aside, it is a bit painful to have given up a 1st rounder and a 2nd for a middling rugged defensive defenseman type like McCabe.

P.S. Joey Anderson's on waivers.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Still, salary relief aside, it is a bit painful to have given up a 1st rounder and a 2nd for a middling rugged defensive defenseman type like McCabe.

P.S. Joey Anderson's on waivers.

Not ideal, but the price paid also factored in 2 full seasons of McCabe at $2 million for a $4 million player at 50% retention. Which is the price of doing business in late flat cap hockey. I don't love it since Edmonton paid a similar price for a far better defenseman in Ekholm... but we didn't have the day one flexibility to get quality - the Leafs wanted to keep Kerfoot last year.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Not ideal, but the price paid also factored in 2 full seasons of McCabe at $2 million for a $4 million player at 50% retention. Which is the price of doing business in late flat cap hockey. I don't love it since Edmonton paid a similar price for a far better defenseman in Ekholm... but we didn't have the day one flexibility to get quality - the Leafs wanted to keep Kerfoot last year.

The thing about McCabe is that pretty much no one thinks he's a $4M aav player in the first place. We got an overpaid defender at a slight discount from his actual value (~$3M).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The thing about McCabe is that pretty much no one thinks he's a $4M aav player in the first place. We got an overpaid defender at a slight discount from his actual value (~$3M).

Yeah you're not too far off. McCabe is probably not a $4 million player like you say, but $3 million might be optimistic since a Justin Holl is already at $3.4 million once you factor in UFA.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yeah you're not too far off. McCabe is probably not a $4 million player like you say, but $3 million might be optimistic since a Justin Holl is already at $3.4 million once you factor in UFA.

Yeah, you're definitely not signing a Mccabe D man in a free agency period for just 2ish mil. Those guys are going for about 3-4ish mil (and certainly not moving forward as we enter a few years if steadily rising cap) I'd say the Leafs are ultimately getting pretty good value for a #4 level guy with him at his current aav.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It looks like he is 12th among RW in A60 for the last 3 years behind players like Garland, Konecny and Zuccarello and there are 16 LW ahead of him including guys like Barabanov and Marchment so I would say probably not accurate. Its clear you have a deep and abiding hatred for Tavares but guys like Kaprizov and Panarin were having better seasons than Willie stapled to Hartman and PLD. If Willie had a more talented center he could likely score a bit more but an 87 point guy can't really be dragged down much by an 80 point guy or at least many forwards have great years even with sub 70 point linemates. I think this is what Willie is and he thrives in the usage he gets. Mark Scheifele is not more productive than JT and he plays almost 3 minutes more a night. Connor > Willie.
First, it was passing, not assists, and the other discussion was about two years, not three, and the stat about passing was about last year.

But even just looking at 5v5 assists/60 (your criteria) and only players who played at least half the games:
Last three years, Willy 13th among RW in assists.
Last two years, Willy 13th.
Last year, Willy 10th.

Who was he playing with?
Last three years JT was 47th among C in goals.
Last two years JT 47th
Last year 38th

And nobody particularly good on LW.

You can't talk about 5v5 per 60 and at the same time talk about JT getting 80 points. JT had 16 goals at 5v5 last year, and was tied with Engvall for fifth in g/60. (Willy had 27 assists at 5v5, behind only Mitch in total and a/60.)

I don't hate JT (I don't like his contract, but I don't blame him for it), but I can see, as is supported by the stats, that he is not a good fit with Willy. The fact that they have had a constantly changing collection of mediocre left wingers hasn't helped.

"Scheifele is not more productive than JT." Last year he had 25 goals at 5v5 (JT had 16) and was 14th in g/60 among centres (JT was 38th).

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think he went through a concussion, so maybe he doesn't get claimed and heals up and becomes added depth for us.

I wouldn't mind picking up

Riley Tufte​

who also got waived by Colorado.

Tufte is alright but I feel like the Leafs have better options... they just traded one away. Tufte even strugged producing in the AHL. Not many forwards are really standing out from the waiver wire. AJ Greer certainly would checkmark the truculence factor.

Coghlan is a right handed defenseman with a decent amount of NHL experience and only 25 years old. He's been great in the AHL as well. Good all around tools. With the Leafs defensive depth right now, I think he'd be a good #7D with Timmins out long-term.

I do think Bogosian could be an ok pick-up too.

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
Waivers
Bogosian I like him when he played for the Leafs . Don't think he makes it through waivers.

AJ Greer Iam surprised he got waived

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I would try to get bogo

Run 7d

Bert. Matty. Mitch
Domi. Tavares. Willy
Knies. Minten. Krok
Gregor kampf. Reeves

Rielly. Brodie
McCabe klingberg
Gio. Lilly
Bogo.

I kind of wonder if Gio waives and gets retired.

He doesn’t look good and faded like crazy

Reactions: horner

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
I'd like to see Arber Xhekaj in Blue and White instead of wasting his knuckles as a Hab.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Tufte is alright but I feel like the Leafs have better options... they just traded one away. Tufte even strugged producing in the AHL. Not many forwards are really standing out from the waiver wire. AJ Greer certainly would checkmark the truculence factor.
I wouldn't mind Greer as an extra forward
Tufte is one that I'd rather let clear and then make a trade for (for futures or swap another minor leaguer - nothing of value going out), so we could try and tune him a little in the minors

Reactions: SprDaVE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad