Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If Minten makes this team which at this point I would be shocked if he didn't.
Add Gregor and Holmberg.

Treliving could trade
Jamcrock and Lafferty

Start fixing the defence
Avs fan here in peace. What would you guess the price for Lafferty would be?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I don't think he's actually available, but under a scenario where he was... Fairbrother?

That's fair, brother 🤣

In all seriousness though I think the Avs accept that. There might be some reluctance as Tufte and Olofsson have earned roster spots in camp and Lafferty has a slightly higher caphit in comparison to those two, but stylistically Lafferty would be what the Avs love in their bottom 6.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That's a name I'd be interested in claiming but... can't really fit him in.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Wasn't that Americancanadian often suggesting trades for Wade Allison? I think he had some intriguing underlyings at some point and has some physicality, but we do have a lot of bottom 6 options already. I imagine someone claims him tho

Reactions: Americanadian

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
The JT contract is pretty much the reason we squandered the rebuild so far. Leafs love to overpay old guys with name recognition. Sadly it never works out for us.

JT contract basically caused everyone to demand that little but extra on top of it all as well.
24th in scoring since signing

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
With Timmins out, I wonder if there's any chance that Topi gets a look if Klingberg is not available for the first couple of games? I know that it sounds like he should be ready, but stranger things have been known to happen.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
24th in scoring since signing
Considering that there are only 24 forwards with more games played, and only about 20 with more ES and PP ice time, and he has played that entire time with one or the other (or both) of two of the best passers in the league, I'm not surprised.

In his last four seasons, he's fourth ON HIS TEAM!

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I could accept that - if the plus was Connor and a first.

They would have to retain.
What?

Connor is signifcanlty ahead of Nylander as a player, contract, and an asset (more of his prime left).

Like Nylander + 1st + Cowan might get them to deal Connor and his incredible deal (still have 3 years at 7.15M left) but he is their best player now for 3 years, so it would take an overpayment

Hellybuck also wouldn't be dealt for a 1 year piece but rather a series or assets.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
What?

Connor is signifcanlty ahead of Nylander as a player, contract, and an asset (more of his prime left).

Like Nylander + 1st + Cowan might get them to deal Connor and his incredible deal (still have 3 years at 7.15M left) but he is their best player now for 3 years, so it would take an overpayment

Hellybuck also wouldn't be dealt for a 1 year piece but rather a series or assets.
I agree that the extra 2 years at 7.15 makes him the more valuable player.

Just as a base, Willy is only 4 months older and has 74 goals and 167 points the last two seasons with Connor getting 78 and 173. To say that he is significantly ahead of him at this point of his career is probably an overstatement.

Toronto would have to add, but 1st and Cowen wouldn't be it. If he was a straight UFA with no contract negotiations, then we're talking about something completely different. The fact that WPG would never do that makes it a moot point.

Reactions: hamzarocks

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I agree that the extra 2 years at 7.15 makes him the more valuable player.

Just as a base, Willy is only 4 months older and has 74 goals and 167 points the last two seasons with Connor getting 78 and 173. To say that he is significantly ahead of him at this point of his career is probably an overstatement.

Toronto would have to add, but 1st and Cowen wouldn't be it. If he was a straight UFA with no contract negotiations, then we're talking about something completely different. The fact that WPG would never do that makes it a moot point.
Connor has been the more conssitent player since 2018/2019(though that is a bad year for nylander due to holdout) if we look at since nylander broke out in 2019-2020:

Since 2019-2020

Connor: 296 pts in 288 games or 84 pt per 82 player

Nylander: 268 pts in 282 games or 78 pts per 82 player

Neither are anything defensively so no advantage either way for them both. Closer than I mentioned at first for sure.

The trade I had though was just nylander as a pure rental since I doubt he would extend in Winnipeg (1 year nylander)

I agree if he extended then you can drop cowan and have a pretty heavily protected 1st or a 2nd/B prospect as the addition

Something like Nylander (extended at 8 years 9ishM) + Roni Hirvonen for Kyle Connor if the Jets ever wanted to move him

Reactions: namttebih

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Considering that there are only 24 forwards with more games played, and only about 20 with more ES and PP ice time, and he has played that entire time with one or the other (or both) of two of the best passers in the league, I'm not surprised.

In his last four seasons, he's fourth ON HIS TEAM!
Who after Marner, is one of the best passers in the league?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Connor has been the more conssitent player since 2018/2019(though that is a bad year for nylander due to holdout) if we look at since nylander broke out in 2019-2020:

Since 2019-2020

Connor: 296 pts in 288 games or 84 pt per 82 player

Nylander: 268 pts in 282 games or 78 pts per 82 player

Neither are anything defensively so no advantage either way for them both. Closer than I mentioned at first for sure.

The trade I had though was just nylander as a pure rental since I doubt he would extend in Winnipeg (1 year nylander)

I agree if he extended then you can drop cowan and have a pretty heavily protected 1st or a 2nd/B prospect as the addition

Something like Nylander (extended at 8 years 9ishM) + Roni Hirvonen for Kyle Connor if the Jets ever wanted to move him

That seems like the definition of a trade for the sake of a trade. I’m rather easily keeping a 8x9M nylander who is is proven to be a fantastic player here in Toronto, over a couple cheaper years of Connor (7.14M) before he gets to negotiate his next deal against a probable ~92M+ cap

Reactions: Rocker13

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
That seems like the definition of a trade for the sake of a trade. I’m rather easily keeping a 8x9M nylander who is is proven to be a fantastic player here in Toronto, over a couple cheaper years of Connor (7.14M) before he gets to negotiate his next deal against a probable ~92M+ cap
My post initially was that Nylander

1. Is not better than Connor
2. Its absurd to expect Hellybuck + Connor + 1st for Nylander when Connor straight is the better asset/player

I would have made that move this summer but its unlikely now with the year set to begin

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Sure if Willie agrees to 8x9m. If he does not, Nylander for Connor+ is interesting. In two years there will be enough money to resign Marner and Connor.

My post initially was that Nylander

1. Is not better than Connor
2. Its absurd to expect Hellybuck + Connor + 1st for Nylander when Connor straight is the better asset/player

I would have made that move this summer but its unlikely now with the year set to begin
You forgot and Jets retain. Laughable but I am not sure the poster was being serious. At least, let's hope so or I'm beginning to think Willie's agent has highjacked that account.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Sure if Willie agrees to 8x9m. If he does not, Nylander for Connor+ is interesting. In two years there will be enough money to resign Marner and Connor.

I was using his premise of 8x9M

Nylander for Connor is still not interesting imo. 1 because we are not getting a plus with Connor. 2 because as I said, Connor in two years is going to have the same amount of negotiating leverage nylander has now, maybe even more, but against a cap that could be as much as nearly $10M higher.

It solves 1 crunch year but is unlikely to work out for us over term. We are better off signing our guy.

Reactions: freshwind
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad