Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Dellandrea has kinda worked out to be a 3rd line RW

I like Hakanpa but unless propped up by a really good partner, you'd want him on your 3rd pairing. Hakanpa is one of my top targets this summer for the 3rd pairing.
Dellandrea was forced to the wing at the NHL level because Dallas had good center depth and they still do. He can most likely still play C.

Hakanpaa is basically an exact replica of the players the Leafs have acquired to play next to Rielly the last 2 seasons.

Reactions: andora

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
It's kind of wild to realize that JT's contract only has 1 year after this one.

Next years cap situation is going to be a little f***ed.

View attachment 756582

Hard to imagine us being able to afford any of the guys on 1 year deals.
If Woll can run with the starters role, that helps the cap situation immensely having your starter making less than 800k.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It's kind of wild to realize that JT's contract only has 1 year after this one.

Next years cap situation is going to be a little f***ed.

View attachment 756582

Hard to imagine us being able to afford any of the guys on 1 year deals.
It's very early to make projections on who will stay/go.

Out of Samsonov, Klingberg, Brodie, Bertuzzi, Domi how many would you bring back, let alone give a raise? I think Matthews and Nylander's raises will be covered by the cap going up. The projected cap rise is 4.2M, Matthews got a 1.6M raise, that leaves 2.6M for a Nylander raise.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
It's very early to make projections on who will stay/go.

Out of Samsonov, Klingberg, Brodie, Bertuzzi, Domi how many would you bring back, let alone give a raise? I think Matthews and Nylander's raises will be covered by the cap going up. The projected cap rise is 4.2M, Matthews got a 1.6M raise, that leaves 2.6M for a Nylander raise.
You are right, way too early.

I wouldn't give any of them raises based on the short bit of season so far, but I have faith that Domi and Bert will outplay their cap hit by years end. Klingberg likely is never anything more than a 4m type guy, but I like what he brings.

horner

May 22, 2007
We'll see how it goes but Bertuzzi shouldn't be hard to retain at this rate.

It will be spicy though for sure. The Leafs at this time have around 33M of cap space for next season. There's no excuse for Treliving really. He will essentially have a clean slate to go a lot of different routes. It's all on him.
Add
Kampf Jarnkrok Ljiligren
ELC
Knies Woll
Possibly
Cowen and Minten

Nylander 10 mil

Leaves lots of room for Defense

horner

May 22, 2007
Dellandrea was forced to the wing at the NHL level because Dallas had good center depth and they still do. He can most likely still play C.

Hakanpaa is basically an exact replica of the players the Leafs have acquired to play next to Rielly the last 2 seasons.
What would entice Dallas to trade him ?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
What would entice Dallas to trade him ?
Assuming you're asking about Dellandrea: Swapping out a position of strength (RS C) for a position of weakness (RHD). Dallas has many good young RH C (Johnston, Dellandrea, Bourque, Stankoven). They have 1 RHD signed for next season (Lundkvist) who they don't appear to trust. He has played the least minutes/GP on D outside of Hanley since they traded for him. They also didn't play him in the playoffs.

Dellandrea will most likely never play C for Dallas which in theory should make him expendable in this trade because wingers are less valuable than RHD. Also Liljegren is probably the better player today.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Go for Peeke... Columbus is motivated to make a change now, and he's available. Cost is cheaper. Hakanpaa isn't really available right now, so you'd have to entice them to make a change... so higher cost. I mean, I like them both, but I don't see Dallas as sellers right now, we know Columbus is.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Go for Peeke... Columbus is motivated to make a change now, and he's available. Cost is cheaper. Hakanpaa isn't really available right now, so you'd have to entice them to make a change... so higher cost. I mean, I like them both, but I don't see Dallas as sellers right now, we know Columbus is.
What's the acquisition cost for Peeke? The reason I proposed this trade is it fills 2 needs (RS C, physical/defensive RHD) and it saves the Leafs 1.1M which allows them to make more moves or allows them to activate Timmins.

If the Leafs acquire Peeke, a lesser (but younger) player than Hakanpaa, they would need to send equal salary out the door which doesn't exist. I also don't think they would retain on Peeke unless it was worth their time because I imagine a team like Vancouver would take Peeke at his full cap hit once they move Garland.

I also don't think the proposed trade is a sellers move for Dallas. The trade brings back 2 NHL contributors. Hakanpaa is currently their 3RD and Dellandrea is a healthy scratch.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
We should be all over Peeke. There’s no way Columbus would retain any salary given he’s got another two years on his contract after this season. But I’d be pretty open to seeing what prospect/pick package they want in return. Then making another move with another team to make the cap space work.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Holmberg had 50/50 offensive/defensive zone starts against Tampa with Gregor and Reaves as his linemates, 62.5 CF%, that's pretty impressive.

Might ease the centre concerns.

I thought he was good last season but Keefe never trusted him, it was a real head scratcher

If he can keep that up he's a God send but what the hell is Kampf up to? He should be doing better with those guys than Holmberg

Reactions: Rocker13

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What's the acquisition cost for Peeke? The reason I proposed this trade is it fills 2 needs (RS C, physical/defensive RHD) and it saves the Leafs 1.1M which allows them to make more moves or allows them to activate Timmins.

If the Leafs acquire Peeke, a lesser (but younger) player than Hakanpaa, they would need to send equal salary out the door which doesn't exist. I also don't think they would retain on Peeke unless it was worth their time because I imagine a team like Vancouver would take Peeke at his full cap hit once they move Garland.

I also don't think the proposed trade is a sellers move for Dallas. The trade brings back 2 NHL contributors. Hakanpaa is currently their 3RD and Dellandrea is a healthy scratch.
Why does Dallas do that trade though? How do they deal with their cap in that situation, as they can't take on cap.

Peeke is maybe a second round pick, perhaps even a third round + later round.

Salary would need to go out the door, but then you don't bring in defensive bodies, without someone going out anyway. Making a change, depends on current players not fitting. We probably would need more patience, to find out what works, and what doesn't work.

In my scenario, I'd be moving out Jarnkrok, and perhaps McCabe. Signing Kane to a 1 year x $1 mil, and adding a Peeke. Of course McCabe and Liljegren have been great together the last couple of games... so maybe we wonder why we even make a move. Perhaps just sit back and see where we are at 20 games.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
We should be all over Peeke. There’s no way Columbus would retain any salary given he’s got another two years on his contract after this season. But I’d be pretty open to seeing what prospect/pick package they want in return. Then making another move with another team to make the cap space work.

Wasn't that dude like -40 last year ?

Not that much indicative of his poor play but that's a staggering number

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Why does Dallas do that trade though? How do they deal with their cap in that situation, as they can't take on cap.
They send down Hanley and they are cap compliant with a 21 man roster. We had this exact same discussion in this thread last week.
Peeke is maybe a second round pick, perhaps even a third round + later round.

In my scenario, I'd be moving out Jarnkrok, and perhaps McCabe. Signing Kane to a 1 year x $1 mil, and adding a Peeke.
This would work but it's far more complicated than the deal I proposed.

1. Columbus wouldn't take McCabe because they are actively trying to get rid of D so you are making multiple trades.

2. There is a good chance Jarnkrok has CBJ on his 10-team NTC. If he does I'm not sure CBJ would want him. Based off the minimal research I did on their board when the report came out they are trying to deal a defenseman it sounds like Bemstrom and Texier are mainstays in their top 9.

3. This assumes Kane will chose to sign 1x1 with Toronto. Not impossible but the chances are 50/50 at best.

4. The Leafs don't have any of their next 3 2nd round picks. They can package together a few 3rds or 3rd+4ths but it's likely that Vancouver would give up a 2nd.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I thought he was good last season but Keefe never trusted him, it was a real head scratcher

If he can keep that up he's a God send but what the hell is Kampf up to? He should be doing better with those guys than Holmberg

If I had to guess, face-offs.

He was 42.5% last year and only 25% in that game against Tampa, if he can improve that one skill, he's locked up a bottom 6 job.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They send down Hanley and they are cap compliant with a 21 man roster. We had this exact same discussion in this thread last week.

This would work but it's far more complicated than the deal I proposed.

1. Columbus wouldn't take McCabe because they are actively trying to get rid of D so you are making multiple trades.

2. There is a good chance Jarnkrok has CBJ on his 10-team NTC. If he does I'm not sure CBJ would want him. Based off the minimal research I did on their board when the report came out they are trying to deal a defenseman it sounds like Bemstrom and Texier are mainstays in their top 9.

3. This assumes Kane will chose to sign 1x1 with Toronto. Not impossible but the chances are 50/50 at best.

4. The Leafs don't have any of their next 3 2nd round picks. They can package together a few 3rds or 3rd+4ths but it's likely that Vancouver would give up a 2nd.

1. Columbus would purely be a trade for picks.

2. Moving bodies out, are completely separate transactions.

3. "IF" we did something like this, it's possible one of McCabe/Jarnkrok could net us a 2nd, that we could then flip.

4. Kane is a big assumption. For some reason, I think he'll choose where he wants to play to prove he's still good for a year, over dollars. I have nothing to back that view up.

5. Vancouver hasn't done a deal yet to clear their space... how long do you wait? Their track record at moving guys... like the JT Miller circus isn't great.

But.. I think I'd probably wait anyway... see how our guys play out of the next bit.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I can see something like a 3rd and either Abruzzese or Hirvonen getting the deal done for Peeke. Then Jarnkrok being flipped for a 2nd. Robertson or McMann being called up.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wasn't that dude like -40 last year ?

Not that much indicative of his poor play but that's a staggering number
It's a staggering number, on a terrible team. There is no question, that he had a bad year. Before last year, he was an up and coming defensive D, with good mobility, physicality... not great at moving the puck, no offensive instincts of note. Keep in mind team goaltending was at 0.891 save percentage.... He was #3 TOI for them last year, with over 62% Dzone starts... on an atrocious team.

He played a lot with Gavrikov, and was a -10 as a pair.... Gavrikov moves to LA Kings, and has been a +13 since.

Peeke gets paired with Gudbranson, and Blakenberg after the trade... and they ended up being disasters together.

Obtaining him is a gamble.... it could work out very well, or maybe not. If you had asked me last offseason.. I would have been 100% for obtaining him. Now... I'd wait and give what we have a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: fahad203

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
1. Columbus would purely be a trade for picks.

2. Moving bodies out, are completely separate transactions.

3. "IF" we did something like this, it's possible one of McCabe/Jarnkrok could net us a 2nd, that we could then flip.

4. Kane is a big assumption. For some reason, I think he'll choose where he wants to play to prove he's still good for a year, over dollars. I have nothing to back that view up.

5. Vancouver hasn't done a deal yet to clear their space... how long do you wait? Their track record at moving guys... like the JT Miller circus isn't great.

But.. I think I'd probably wait anyway... see how our guys play out of the next bit.
That is all completely fair but less likely than a 2 for 2 swap. The question for me is: is Peeke better than McCabe? If not - would you be better off trading Jarnkrok to bring in Kane in this scenario?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That is all completely fair but less likely than a 2 for 2 swap. The question for me is: is Peeke better than McCabe? If not - would you be better off trading Jarnkrok to bring in Kane in this scenario?

I think two seperate questions... If you can bring in Kane, I'd drive Jarnkrok to the airport tomorrow.

McCabe vs. Peeke.... Anyone is better than McCabe + Klingberg version of McCabe. McCabe + Liljegren have been pretty good, and I'd like to give them more time.

LT... Can Peeke replace Brodie, at a cheaper price, and has a few years left on his deal??? I mean to me, that's the question.. cost controlled guy... after this year is over. It's the... is this the guy to pair with Rielly... you and I both, and the team on the ever lasting search for the proper guy to pair with Mo... a defensive first guy, who just focus on the D, while Mo plays the rover role.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
McCabe vs. Peeke.... Anyone is better than McCabe + Klingberg version of McCabe. McCabe + Liljegren have been pretty good, and I'd like to give them more time.

LT... Can Peeke replace Brodie, at a cheaper price, and has a few years left on his deal??? I mean to me, that's the question.. cost controlled guy... after this year is over. It's the... is this the guy to pair with Rielly... you and I both, and the team on the ever lasting search for the proper guy to pair with Mo... a defensive first guy, who just focus on the D, while Mo plays the rover role.
The thing is - you're giving up a guy who you know provides value above their contract this year and next and can play 19-20 minutes/night in McCabe and you're getting a guy who makes more money and can't crack today's CBJ defense over the likes of Bean and Boqvist.

That being said - I also agree that McCabe's play is becoming worrisome and moving him might be the answer.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Not against moving Jarnkrok but I think management values him more than someone like Kampf. Something like Kampf for Peeke makes sense from both sides. Holmberg then replaces Kampf in the line up.

Rielly - Peeke
McCabe - Liljegren
Brodie - Klingberg
Gio

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The thing is - you're giving up a guy who you know provides value above their contract this year and next and can play 19-20 minutes/night in McCabe and you're getting a guy who makes more money and can't crack today's CBJ defense over the likes of Bean and Boqvist.

That being said - I also agree that McCabe's play is becoming worrisome and moving him might be the answer.

Bean's playing the Left side.

Columbus did weird things this offseason. They had some injury issues last year, went out and brought in too many bodies.

They traded for Severson and Provorov.... They gave Gudbranson a $4 mil contract. So... by virtue of contract size... they are going to play Severson, Provorov, Werenski and Gudbranson first...

Peeke has been replaced by Jiricek, and Boqvist will be sitting too. Jiricek is going to be a top D man in this league... so that is perfectly understandable, former 6th OA pick. Boqvist played a couple of games on the Left side, when Werenski was injured, he more replaces what they lost in Werenski.

They'll move whomever they get the most for... Boqvist or Peeke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad