Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Miller and Shesterkins need to be signed in 2025-2026

Lingren is coming up this summer, likely going to get 5-6M

I believe Miller and Shesterkin are eligible for an extension this summer. Schneider needs a new contract too but that won't be too expensive.

If they can dump Goodrow or change course on Lafreniere etc, they can keep Trouba but not sure, I do think it's a real option though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Miller and Shesterkins need to be signed in 2025-2026
Yup. Only real expiring contracts are Lindgren, Schneider and Kakko. I'm not sure any of those moves require moving Trouba out. 2025-26 is a different story, but that's quite some time away for planning on our end... and Trouba would only be a year from UFA at that point, so....

Reactions: horner

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Lingren is coming up this summer, likely going to get 5-6M

I believe Miller and Shesterkin are eligible for an extension this summer. Schneider needs a new contract too but that won't be too expensive.

If they can dump Goodrow or change course on Lafreniere etc, they can keep Trouba but not sure, I do think it's a real option though.

Yup. Only real expiring contracts are Lindgren, Schneider and Kakko. I'm not sure any of those moves require moving Trouba out. 2025-26 is a different story, but that's quite some time away for planning on our end... and Trouba would only be a year from UFA at that point, so....

This was a quick mock off-season for them this summer with an 87.7M cap, you can make a case they need to upgrade RW badly.

Lafreniere, Kakko, and Goodrow are all pieces that they probably touch before a top 4 RD.

1698166964162.png

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
This was a quick mock off-season for them this summer with an 87.7M cap, you can make a case they need to upgrade RW badly.

Lafreniere, Kakko, and Goodrow are all pieces that they probably touch before a top 4 RD.

View attachment 756995
Pardon my ignorance here but why is Lindgren getting 6M? He plays <19 minutes/night and is purely a defensive player. Why is he getting more than Mikey Anderson who plays >21 minutes/game?

Reactions: TMLAM34

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Pardon my ignorance here but why is Lindgren getting 6M? He plays <19 minutes/night and is purely a defensive player. Why is he getting more than Mikey Anderson who plays >21 minutes/game?

Mikey Anderson is on a sweet heart deal.

There are a lot of bad players earning good money and even better players earning well over 6.5-7M that he can try to come in behind.

Cap is projected to go up too as we keep hearing with our own players.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Mikey Anderson is on a sweet heart deal.

There are a lot of bad players earning good money and even better players earning well over 6.5-7M that he can try to come in behind.

Cap is projected to go up too as we keep hearing with our own players.
Mikey Anderson signed 8 months ago. What makes it a sweetheart deal? Is that not his direct comparable? Except for the fact that Anderson plays 2 minutes per game more than him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Mikey Anderson signed 8 months ago. What makes it a sweetheart deal? Is that not his direct comparable? Except for the fact that Anderson plays 2 minutes per game more than him.

It's a great AAV, that's what makes it a sweet heart deal.

You have guys like Sanheim making over 6M and Vlasic still pulling over 7M. Parayko at 6.5M. Ben Chiarot, who is hot garbage is just shy of 5M.

All of these guys signed quite a while ago with a smaller cap...if I am re-upping for 5-8 years, I would want 6M+ if I was Lindgren.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It's a great AAV, that's what makes it a sweet heart deal.
Is it a sweetheart deal if Anderson is no better today than when he signed it? He's played 33 games since he signed that contract.
You have guys like Sanheim making over 6M and Vlasic still pulling over 7M. Parayko at 6.5M. Ben Chiarot, who is hot garbage is just shy of 5M.

All of these guys signed quite a while ago with a smaller cap...if I am re-upping for 5-8 years, I would want 6M+ if I was Lindgren.
In the season leading up to Sanheim's deal he played 23 minutes/game and was a top 30 defenseman in the league by GAR. Vlasic was one of the best defensive defenseman in the league prior to signing his deal. Parayko is inexcusable but if I were Drury I'd still point to his ice time prior to signing which was 3+ minutes higher per game than Lindgren. Same story with Chiarot.

Comparing Lindgren to Vlasic financially is like saying Compher deserved Seguin money in UFA because they scored the same amount of points last year.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Is it a sweetheart deal if Anderson is no better today than when he signed it? He's played 33 games since he signed that contract.

In the season leading up to Sanheim's deal he played 23 minutes/game and was a top 30 defenseman in the league by GAR. Vlasic was one of the best defensive defenseman in the league prior to signing his deal. Parayko is inexcusable but if I were Drury I'd still point to his ice time prior to signing which was 3+ minutes higher per game than Lindgren. Same story with Chiarot.

Comparing Lindgren to Vlasic financially is like saying Compher deserved Seguin money in UFA because they scored the same amount of points last year.

If I was Lindgren I would also just say "I haven't refused to play more, coach can play me more" lol

Your agent and you yourself need to advocate for yourself as much as you can. Maybe NYR gets him down to 5.5M or something and feels okay about that but I would push hard for 6M if I am him. There are enough comps out there and the rising cap just makes it possible.

The Chiarot and TOI would make me laugh though, on no planet is Chiarot as good as Lindgren, he just plays on a crap team. Similar to how he got to play with Weber, if you get to play with him, your TOI will go up.

Everyone wants to add a top 4D.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
If your top 6 is getting shutdown your odds of losing are extremely likely no matter whatvteam you are
Penguins won a cup with poor defense
Average goaltending but they had a third line that could score when Malkin and Crosby were shut down
Crosby ended up winning the conn smyth but kessell deserved it

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Couldn't any player say this in an RFA negotiation? At that point wouldn't Liljegren be a 6M player?

Results would also help

For example, Lindgren is 62.6 CF% so far this year and last year 53.7% at 5v5

Chiarot has been 42.3% and 42.6% at 5v5 the last 2 years

Sanheim this year is 57.9 CF% and last year 46.8%

Lindgren is also going to be 26 when he signs his next contract, lots of run way left, similar to Sanheim. Chiarot got that contract as an older UFA, he had quite a bit of mileage on him already.

They could promote Miller to play with Fox instead of Lingren but then there is a hole at 2nd pairing LD. Lindgren does his job well ultimately.

Liljegren has been scratched quite a bit in the playoffs and bounces between 2nd-3rd pairing quite a bit versus Lindgren playing top pairing.

Lindgren gets 2nd unit PK and no PP time versus Sanheim getting 1st PP minutes and 1st pk unit, Sanheim is getting crazy minutes.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Results would also help

For example, Lindgren is 62.6 CF% so far this year and last year 53.7% at 5v5

Chiarot has been 42.3% and 42.6% at 5v5 the last 2 years

Sanheim this year is 57.9 CF% and last year 46.8%
I don't put any stock into CF%. xGF% is a far better metric. It is also way too early to use this years stats.
They could promote Miller to play with Fox instead of Lingren but then there is a hole at 2nd pairing LD. Lindgren does his job well ultimately.
Miller plays 3 minutes more per game than Lindgren.
Lindgren gets 2nd unit PK and no PP time versus Sanheim getting 1st PP minutes and 1st pk unit, Sanheim is getting crazy minutes.
If you look at Sanheim's minutes from when he signed he played 41 seconds per game on the PP. Either war - playing PP and PK1 doesn't make you less valuable. I also don't think we need to continue to discuss Lindgren's potential salary in this forum. I don't think NYR will be in a cap crunch next year where they are forced to move Trouba and I don't think Trouba would ever waive to come back to Canada. He left because his wife couldn't work in Canada.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Yeah if the flames keep fumbling, Zadorov is just the most obvious target for Treliving.

Like its inevitable that there's gonna be reported interest. Im sure other teams gonna be in the mix too

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If Conroy is smart, he blows up the Flames. He's got a lot of pending UFA's to trade for picks/prospects, including Lindholm. They can probably retool it up even with Kadri and Huberdeau and their bloated contracts. Speaking of which, Kadri has 1 assist in 7 games... yikes... I would love him back in Toronto but yeesh.

I would much prefer Tanev or even Hanifin over Zadorov if we're shopping for a rental. Both are so much better defensively. Zadorov fits well what the Leafs need in terms of being physical and adding size, but he plays some soft minutes for the Flames. Not even top 4 in shorthanded minutes. Tanev would really push down Brodie and McCabe in minutes defensively.

I'd be aiming at Weegar if we're going big but might be too much money to figure out in-season.

Last edited:

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'd be aiming at Weegar if we're going big but might be too much money to figure out in-season.
If the Leafs had signed off on the reported Johnsson+Dermott for Weegar deal in the 2020 off-season I think that would have drastically changed the outcome of the last 3 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad