Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Hanifin and Lindholm would be perfect for this roster. I was hoping some sort of deal could happen in the summer. At that point Calgary would have been looking to continue to retool so that would have cost... Nylander?

I wasn't here in the summer so I can only assume something like this was talked about ad nauseam. Pending UFAs and you could make the cap work work had you added another $2-$3M player on our end.

Moving forward, if Calgary keeps losing, they would likely want futures. A deal is likely impossible as you would have to empty the cupboards and balance the cap. Maybe the focus should be on adding one of them if possible. Even that would be tough though.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
All this time I thought it was Florida who turned that down. I should have known better with Dubas. Weegar becomes a legitimate top four dman who can play both sides meanwhile Dermott and Johnsson have become fringe NHL players. Thanks Dubas!
Weegar is much more than a top four defenseman. He's legitimately been a top 20 defenseman in the NHL the last 3 years. He is a the perfect blend of analytics darling and eye test top pairing defender. He's 20th among all defenders in minutes played since that off-season where he was offered to the Leafs and 9th in GAR (EvolvingHockey), 13th in hits by defenseman (if you care about that).

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
If after 30-40 games into the season Woll is still consistent and solid I would probably look into trading off Sammy because of his cap and bringing in Zadorov same cap. Bring up Jones from Ahl as the backup

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If after 30-40 games into the season Woll is still consistent and solid I would probably look into trading off Sammy because of his cap and bringing in Zadorov same cap. Bring up Jones from Ahl as the backup

I'd rather keep the depth we have. Woll has been great but has never played a lot of games. Samsonov might not be as good as he was last season but he's capable and much better than Martin Jones. Injuries can pile up.

Last edited:

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I would exercise serious caution when any report from an insider contains that many "I think"s. That looks horribly sourceless to me.

But obviously in retrospect if that's true it would be a huge miss.
I agree with the sentiment but Friedman is without a doubt the most reputable insider. This was also discussed on The Leaf Report that summer but I don't give those guys any insider credit.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I know its unlikely but I really hope the Leafs are able to keep their 1st this year in any trade because the back end of this draft is so deep in defenseman and we could really use a potential stud on D.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Has anyone watched Weegar this year? His stats aren’t good… small sample sure.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If Conroy is smart, he blows up the Flames. He's got a lot of pending UFA's to trade for picks/prospects, including Lindholm. They can probably retool it up even with Kadri and Huberdeau and their bloated contracts. Speaking of which, Kadri has 1 assist in 7 games... yikes... I would love him back in Toronto but yeesh.

I would much prefer Tanev or even Hanifin over Zadorov if we're shopping for a rental. Both are so much better defensively. Zadorov fits well what the Leafs need in terms of being physical and adding size, but he plays some soft minutes for the Flames. Not even top 4 in shorthanded minutes. Tanev would really push down Brodie and McCabe in minutes defensively.

I'd be aiming at Weegar if we're going big but might be too much money to figure out in-season.

Flames ownership probably won’t permit a rebuild hence why they didn’t sell Tkachuk and Gaudreau for futures

They’ve been in a prime position to rebuild with quality trade chips for a couple of seasons

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
What stats aren't good? I'm just taking a cursory glance but he's winning the xG and HDC battle when he's on the ice this season.

Either way - I'd be weary of acquiring him until he's 37.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He has a long sample size of being terrific dating back to the Panthers. If he's remotely available, he'd be a great target to go after. I really don't mind buying low with him. He'd replace Brodie very well going into next year. The only big issue is that I don't think there's a chance we can make it work this season money wise.

Reactions: Americanadian

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Flames ownership probably won’t permit a rebuild hence why they didn’t sell Tkachuk and Gaudreau for futures

They’ve been in a prime position to rebuild with quality trade chips for a couple of seasons

I think that changed with Conroy taking over. They already flipped Toffoli this past summer. If they keep sucking, they will sell hard.

Might be a good time to take advantage of a pretty green GM as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocker13 and Kurtz

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Didn’t Florida reject that offer?
Yes. It also wasn't the full offer.

One guy threw out speculation (not a report) about trade discussions (not a full trade) that he speculated involved certain pieces (not all of the pieces), and he later retracted that Toronto was the one rejecting things, and yet people still ran around with the original quote and spread false information.

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Is there any source for this? This is the first I've heard of it being refuted.
I believe it was during the HNIC intermission bit they do? Or the 31 thoughts a few weeks after?
I took a quick look, but it was years ago and not really sure how I'd go about finding it at this point.
As is common in today's society, the original tweet gets a lot more discussion than the later correction/retraction.

Either way, probably best to not assume that just because somebody "thinks" a trade involves something, that's a full confirmed trade.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I believe it was during the HNIC intermission bit they do, a week or two after.
I took a quick look, but it was years ago and not really sure how I'd go about finding it at this point.
As is common in today's society, the original tweet gets a lot more discussion than the later correction/retraction.
Apparently the retraction generated 0 discussion.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Much less than the original tweet, that's for sure. It corrected something that had been twisted to make the Leafs look bad. Nobody wants to write articles about that.
I'm just looking at any and all discussion on twitter. 100s of tweets referencing the Leafs turning down the trade. 0 tweets regarding this report being retracted: https://twitter.com/search?q=johnsson dermott weegar&src=typed_query

If it had been retracted it would have been mentioned on twitter once.

Edit: after further investigation I found a reddit thread about the reported trade proposal and not one mention of Friedman walking back his report:

Reactions: DarkKnight

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I'm just looking at any and all discussion on twitter. 100s of tweets referencing the Leafs turning down the trade. 0 tweets regarding this report being retracted:
And we all know, if it's on twitter, it's true...
Funny how every time this comes up on here, it's because (just like this time) people remember it the other way around. I guess a bunch of people just all independently had the same dream. Much more likely than a later minor correction being drowned out by an original publicized claim on twitter.

Maybe we should just stick to things that actually happen, or at least actual reports, instead of 3 year old "I think"s from media personalities in the first place.

Reactions: kb

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What stats aren't good? I'm just taking a cursory glance but he's winning the xG and HDC battle when he's on the ice this season.

Either way - I'd be weary of acquiring him until he's 37.
I look at Weegar as the guy he was before his offensive breakout. He's a guy I had wanted before that. At that point in time, he was a very solid defensive guy, physical, and put up an acceptable amount of points.

Then Ekblad got injured, and Weegar was thrust into a points producing position, as they didn't have anyone... it kind of changed his game focus and the way he played. Manson went through the same type of deal.

With Calgary, Weegar went back to the level of opportunity he is best made for last year.... a 30 point D, physical, a secondary at best offensive threat. 3rd in PP time, and 5th in PK time, more of a 5v5 guy, but strong at it.

As far as which stats aren't good.... one point, 5 hits in 7 games... so it seems less physical so far.. I'm not sure why, on ice for two goals for, six against, though... expected goals is above 50%... you never know why the variance... is it because of goaltending, forwards not scoring, or is Weegar part of the problem? Which is why I ask.

Calgary also overpaid for a guy who is a 30 point guy, who is a good support player, but shouldn't be the main role guy. He "should" be a good partner for Rielly for example... someone who can skate, and can be physical, and play the more defensive role in that partnership... you just don't pay $6.25 mil for that.

A quote from the Calgary board.

Weegar stunk honestly, fumbled pucks at the blueline all game.

Weegar is a guy who I wanted 2019/20 era.... Weegar of 2023/24??? I don't know anymore. What does he cost to obtain? That's a pretty big contract really, for what he brings.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I look at Weegar as the guy he was before his offensive breakout. He's a guy I had wanted before that. At that point in time, he was a very solid defensive guy, physical, and put up an acceptable amount of points.

Then Ekblad got injured, and Weegar was thrust into a points producing position, as they didn't have anyone... it kind of changed his game focus and the way he played. Manson went through the same type of deal.

With Calgary, Weegar went back to the level of opportunity he is best made for last year.... a 30 point D, physical, a secondary at best offensive threat. 3rd in PP time, and 5th in PK time, more of a 5v5 guy, but strong at it.

As far as which stats aren't good.... one point, 5 hits in 7 games... so it seems less physical so far.. I'm not sure why, on ice for two goals for, six against, though... expected goals is above 50%... you never know why the variance... is it because of goaltending, forwards not scoring, or is Weegar part of the problem? Which is why I ask.

Calgary also overpaid for a guy who is a 30 point guy, who is a good support player, but shouldn't be the main role guy. He "should" be a good partner for Rielly for example... someone who can skate, and can be physical, and play the more defensive role in that partnership... you just don't pay $6.25 mil for that.

A quote from the Calgary board.

Weegar stunk honestly, fumbled pucks at the blueline all game.

Weegar is a guy who I wanted 2019/20 era.... Weegar of 2023/24??? I don't know anymore. What does he cost to obtain? That's a pretty big contract really, for what he brings.

I just think it's funny that people are tripping over each other around here to get a Peeke, who isn't even playing, or even Zadorov when they aren't even close to the level of Weegar can bring in terms of minutes, efficiency and quality. He's not perfect or top tier or anything but that team he's on now really is struggling. The price of acquisition would obviously vary and all that but... I'd much rather aim higher and target a player like Weegar, if available. They are hard to acquire and would fit this team very well over the next few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafSteel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad