Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
If they can cut out dead weight contracts like Kampf, Timmins and Reaves this off-season, getting Weegar and then maybe trying to add a Roy or Tanev as well, it really solidifies our back end.
Love the idea of adding Weegar and Matt Roy.

Would definitely make Timmins expendable and slotting Liljegren comfortably as 3RHD would allow him to dominate weaker 3rd and 4th line matchups.

Rielly-Weegar
McCabe-Roy
Benoit-Liljegren
Lagesson

Oh God yes!

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Spitballing.
What do these deal look like?

Liljgren + Kampf + Minten + pick (for retaining)
For
Larsson + Tanev + Wright

Tanev (retain through Sea) + 3rd
For
1st + Brodie

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Larsson
Gio-Benoit

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Love the idea of adding Weegar and Matt Roy.

Would definitely make Timmins expendable and slotting Liljegren comfortably as 3RHD would allow him to dominate weaker 3rd and 4th line matchups.

Rielly-Weegar
McCabe-Roy
Benoit-Liljegren
Lagesson

Oh God yes!

To be honest, I think Liljegren is probably apart of that CGY/TOR trade for Weegar.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
He's playing 3rd minutes, his production is awful and people are giving him praise for basically not being a complete train wreck defensively for the first time in his career.
I don't know how many people actually watch Philadelphia games but I would suggest watching one. It looks like you can barely move skating in the sand and his consistent play is dump it in.

With the gospel around here that always States yeah but somebody can do the same thing cheaper the justification to even spend 50% retained on them I don't understand

I apologize for my lack of grammar I am voice text posting while walking

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Spitballing.
What do these deal look like?

Liljgren + Kampf + Minten + pick (for retaining)
For
Larsson + Tanev + Wright

Tanev (retain through Sea) + 3rd
For
1st + Brodie

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Larsson
Gio-Benoit

Seattle wouldn't be giving up on Wright for that package.... and whatever he would cost, we shouldn't be giving that up... he just isn't adapting to the pro game very well. 32 points in 41 games.... ouch.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Seattle wouldn't be giving up on Wright for that package.... and whatever he would cost, we shouldn't be giving that up... he just isn't adapting to the pro game very well. 32 points in 41 games.... ouch.
32 points and 41 games for a 20-year-old isn't bad, but relative to expectations, I suppose. But I've read some fairly worrisome reports, mostly about his puck control.

Last edited:

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
I really want Weegar but I also don’t want to give up a lot because he could become a boat anchor.

1st + Minten + Timmins + salary dump Kampf and Reaves is probably the most I would be comfortable paying.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Talking out loud here…

I wonder about a Woll package to Philly (Carter Hart situation). For Laughton/Seeler.

Then something around a Markstrom/Tanev with some retention for first and Minten +

Markstrom/Hildeby future combo.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'd like to stand pat this year.

We have too many issues to address in the TDL. Unless we can get a long tern asset like Parayko, we should just go into the playoffs and hope for the best

Reassess next year what our needs are with a new coach.

If your point is just no rentals, I agree. And obviously if prices are absurd, then stand pat, but otherwise I'm firmly against standing pat.

I don't think that not being able to fix every problem means we should fix none if we're acquiring players with term.

The East imo is as wide open as it's been in a long time and our cap next year becomes much more complicated. Put our best foot forward in the playoffs with smart acquisitions, then build on those moves in the offseason when we have more flexibility and can sign UFAs.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
If your point is just no rentals, I agree. And obviously if prices are absurd, then stand pat, but otherwise I'm firmly against standing pat.

I don't think that not being able to fix every problem means we should fix none if we're acquiring players with term.

The East imo is as wide open as it's been in a long time and our cap next year becomes much more complicated. Put our best foot forward in the playoffs with smart acquisitions, then build on those moves in the offseason when we have more flexibility and can sign UFAs.
Agreed

I just would be against rentals this year.

I honestly believe goaltending is gonna kill us in playoffs

Reactions: bax

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
To be honest, I think Liljegren is probably apart of that CGY/TOR trade for Weegar.
Realistic take but hoping they don’t think Liljegren’s toolbox isn’t to their liking, considering he will need a new contract shortly.

Brodie would absolutely have to be a part of any deal for Weegar.

All feels moot as there has been no mention of Weegar even being an option to be moved.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
32 points and 41 games for a 20-year-old isn't bad, but relative to expectations, I suppose. But I've read some fairly worrisome reports, mostly abound his puck control.

Stankoven.... 2nd round, #47, 20 years old, 41 games, 51 points
Brandt Clarke - Dman - 31 points, 30 games... 20 years old
Coronato - 32 points, 30 games, just turned 21
Tverberg, just turned 22 - 26 points, 26 games... rookie season
Lambert - 28 points, 35 games, just turned 20.

For a D+2, who was in the conversation for first overall, ended up being 4th... this isn't good. He's 10th in rookie scoring PPG, for players with more than 15 games.

I mean... he might make an ok 2C at some point... and for that reason, Seattle isn't going to move him, bar an extreme overpay.... and based on his current play, and risk that he doesn't amount to more than a 3C, there is no reason we should overpay. He's just a guy that can't be moved.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Agreed

I just would be against rentals this year.

I honestly believe goaltending is gonna kill us in playoffs

It sadly cannot be dismissed as a possibility. What I would say is do 2 things and we can at least mitigate the risk:

1) Form a damn shutdown line, even if you need to acquire a player to make it (Ideally one that PKs).
2) Insulate our goaltending with better defense and maybe someone will clear the net front

Playing less in our end would help every aspect of our game.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Talking out loud here…

I wonder about a Woll package to Philly (Carter Hart situation). For Laughton/Seeler.

Then something around a Markstrom/Tanev with some retention for first and Minten +

Markstrom/Hildeby future combo.
We should be holding on to Woll. If we could dump Samsonov and do the second deal we could run Markstrom/Woll until Hildeby is ready

Reactions: ACC1224

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Stankoven.... 2nd round, #47, 20 years old, 41 games, 51 points
Brandt Clarke - Dman - 31 points, 30 games... 20 years old
Coronato - 32 points, 30 games, just turned 21
Tverberg, just turned 22 - 26 points, 26 games... rookie season
Lambert - 28 points, 35 games, just turned 20.

For a D+2, who was in the conversation for first overall, ended up being 4th... this isn't good. He's 10th in rookie scoring PPG, for players with more than 15 games.

I mean... he might make an ok 2C at some point... and for that reason, Seattle isn't going to move him, bar an extreme overpay.... and based on his current play, and risk that he doesn't amount to more than a 3C, there is no reason we should overpay. He's just a guy that can't be moved.
Not that I disagree with your overall point but just for the sake of accuracy. Wright is in his 19YO season along with Lambert. Stankoven and Clarke are in their 20YO season and Coronato and Tverberg are in their 21YO seasons.

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Lots of noise around him today. But with 12 or more teams, it may be tough.

But there are others to consider in that euro FA pool.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
It’s funny I was wondering about whether Minnesota would be willing to trade Middleton and then someone else brought it up on the main board. Think he could be a different sort of target for the Leafs? I think he’s solid but not exceptional. But I wonder if the Wild would even contemplate moving him because of his cheap contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad