Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Marner would beat the other 9 forwards not named matthews nylander tavares all on his own

Pick any star player from any core in the league and they smash through that 9 players of fluff (No offence to Knies, his day will come).

Marner stays.
Isn't that a reason to move Marner so they can upgrade all that fluff? Is there a more overpaid core in the league? No room to build when your best players get millions in raises without the team ever improving. He gets 8 years NM @ $12+ so essentially they are frozen to this kind of lineup until Matthews leaves. I thought Willie being moved was the change that had to happen but then Tre got high and handed him that nifty contract.

People seem to think that the cap will grow but the cost of adding new players won't increase with it. The big 3 will keep them in the same poverty cycle because they don't have value deals on important pieces to balance out past spending mistakes, and they can't seem to quit making those mistakes.

I am trying to get my head around how they can handle Mitch's next deal and still make meaningful improvements to the lineup. Marner is great, but his money isn't. But I don't think he is gone so long as Shanny is still here so its probably a moot point.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Taking back Luke Schenn would be interesting. I dunno if the Preds or him would be interested but I think it could work. It would have to be cheap though.

As for Parayko, it feels like an off-season thing to do. The cap to move to make that work is rough. But flipping Brodie to be able to add Parayko would be a hell of a shrewd move similar to how the Kings dumped long-time veteran Quick to be able to free up cap.

EDIT: I just realized you might have meant Brayden Schenn... which probably makes more sense. That's 13M of cap space though... and a lot of picks/prospects.
Definitely meant Brayden. Would slot in nicely as the 3C on this team. We can still make the cap work next year with Bertuzzi and Domi expiring and free up some space for another RHD.

Still have the Klingberg money to work with plus a lot of dead cap at the bottom of the roster currently.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Definitely meant Brayden. Would slot in nicely as the 3C on this team. We can still make the cap work next year with Bertuzzi and Domi expiring and free up some space for another RHD.

Still have the Klingberg money to work with plus a lot of dead cap at the bottom of the roster currently.

With the 1st round pick in play, what else would we give up here? I feel like they'd definitely want someone like Minten at the bare minimum on top of other stuff good assets. Schenn's their captain and highly respected around that club. A package for him and Parayko I feel like would be way over what we can give up in terms of assets.

Reactions: arso40

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I'd like to stand pat this year.

We have too many issues to address in the TDL. Unless we can get a long tern asset like Parayko, we should just go into the playoffs and hope for the best

Reassess next year what our needs are with a new coach.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I think Minten should be the prospect we dangle. Hopefully he’s gained some praise from scouts and is looked at as a very decent prospect add.

I don’t want him gone, and see his path to 2C. But , let’s deal in the now and try to atleast have some positives with this core.

If trading Minten + (say Liljgren). We need a young , controllable asset in an area of need , that can contribute now. Where is that? Don’t know.

Maybe there’s a young dman, that’s ready to pop as a minute munching top4.. but being held back by lack of mins or a bad team

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Minten should be the prospect we dangle. Hopefully he’s gained some praise from scouts and is looked at as a very decent prospect add.

I don’t want him gone, and see his path to 2C. But , let’s deal in the now and try to atleast have some positives with this core.

If trading Minten + (say Liljgren). We need a young , controllable asset in an area of need , that can contribute now. Where is that? Don’t know.

Maybe there’s a young dman, that’s ready to pop as a minute munching top4.. but being held back by lack of mins or a bad team

I was thinking "good" 3rd line centre as the ceiling for him but with our lack of centre prospects coming in, you kinda need to keep him.

Grebyonkin is definitely a winger and although Cowan can probably play centre for London, I believe he projects as a winger at the pro level.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I was thinking "good" 3rd line centre as the ceiling for him but with our lack of centre prospects coming in, you kinda need to keep him.

Grebyonkin is definitely a winger and although Cowan can probably play centre for London, I believe he projects as a winger at the pro level.
Ideally you keep him but if he needs to be apart of a deal with Lilly for let’s say Rasmus Andersson, you gotta do it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Jonas had an article in The Athletic arguing the Leafs can't afford to stand pat. The arguments aren't bad but I vehemently disagree. There were too many mistakes in the offseason to fix now at one TDL. The Leafs have essentially the same holes as they did at this point last season, only this time they have far fewer assets to trade to fill them all. Would've been nice to have retained more than just McCabe from last years "all in" TDL but that's spilled milk now.

If the Leafs are going to go big they better be damn sure they can keep whoever they get beyond this season, and that they'll be a good contributor during that time too. Tanev strikes me more as being a Giordano level acquisition (but likely more pricey) where he's good for a season and a half before collapsing due to age. We need another Muzzin situation where we get a guy in his prime and manage to re-sign him, only this time he doesn't get cross-checked in the back and suffers a debilitating and career-ending injury.

Jonas usually goes into roster analysis with an ambient level of panic and hysteria and is always thin on solutions. You can’t panic your way into making your team stronger in such a short time if your team is full of holes and deficiencies.

If you’re playing with a so so hand it doesn’t mean you have to go all in. The time pressure has been alleviated a lot with Matthews and Nylander signing.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ideally you keep him but if he needs to be apart of a deal with Lilly for let’s say Rasmus Andersson, you gotta do it.

Okay, that I could understand.

I'd probably be fine with something like Liljegren+ / ++ for Weegar, probably costs less.

Reactions: TMLAM34

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

The Toronto Maple Leafs are among multiple NHL teams interested in signing KHL right winger Maxim Tsyplakov next season, Tsyplakov’s agent Alexander Chernykh told The Athletic.

Chernykh said he and Tsyplakov met with senior members of Leafs management last week over Zoom for close to an hour.

Tsyplakov is a skilled and sizeable right winger who has 30 goals in 45 games this season with Spartak Moscow. Listed at 6-foot-3 inches and 190 pounds, Tsyplakov brings heaviness and physicality. At 25, he has seven seasons of KHL experience, all with Spartak Moscow, under his belt. He is in the final season of his KHL contract.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think Cowan has the potential to be your cap savings Seth Jarvis type young scorer in a year or two if all goes well. Which would be an amazing outcome. But you’d also trade Seth Jarvis for a defensive upgrade if there was the option to. So it’s just a question of what that big fish defenseman is and if a trade can line up. If not, don’t make a panic move and try to force something, end up overpaying.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Realistic trade chips
1st
Other draft picks
Kampf
Jankrok
Brodie
Lilly
Steeves
Abruzuzzzi
jones

Knock your socks off trade(bigger upside in trade with term)
Robertson
Minten
Nielma

Untouchable (for me)
Cowan
Grebonkin

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
On Ristolainen, if it's a similar trade to the Kevin Hayes trade, where even after coming off a ~54 point season, Philly retained 50% on his longterm contract and the Blues only gave up a 6th, then I wouldn't hate it...

Say a 6th for Risto at ~2.6M for the next 3.5 years? He has awful hockey IQ, but a good set of tools (big physical RHD that skates reasonably well with a decent shit), and since he's simplified his game in Philly has been a lot more effective than he historically has been.

He's also the style of dman who may excel in the playoffs when refs put their whistles away. He would do a better job than Liljegren or other D of ours at constantly running interference, crosschecking in front of the net, playing physical in general and blocking shots, etc.

But at 5.1M, no interest. And even at 50% retained, only interested if the cost is ballpark similar to the Kevin Hayes trade. Wouldn't want to be giving up a 1st, 2nd, or decent prospect.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
To Toronto-
Laughton
Ristolainen 50% retained

To Philadelphia-
Jarnkrok
Reaves
Minten
1st Round Pick

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Okay, that I could understand.

I'd probably be fine with something like Liljegren+ / ++ for Weegar, probably costs less.
My Calgary trade wish was a move for Lindholm and Weegar.

Much more interested in Weegar than in Hanifin and/or Tanev.

Just better long term fit for us. Add a cheaper RHD like Peeke, with Niemala in our pipeline, and you’ve significantly improved one of our glaring weaknesses at RHD with a permanent fix as opposed to bandages like LHD playing their off-side.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
My Calgary trade wish was a move for Lindholm and Weegar.

Much more interested in Weegar than in Hanifin and/or Tanev.

Just better long term fit for us. Add a cheaper RHD like Peeke, with Niemala in our pipeline, and you’ve significantly improved one of our glaring weaknesses at RHD with a permanent fix as opposed to bandages like LHD playing their off-side.

If they can cut out dead weight contracts like Kampf, Timmins and Reaves this off-season, getting Weegar and then maybe trying to add a Roy or Tanev as well, it really solidifies our back end.

Reactions: LeafSteel

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Jonas usually goes into roster analysis with an ambient level of panic and hysteria and is always thin on solutions. You can’t panic your way into making your team stronger in such a short time if your team is full of holes and deficiencies.

If you’re playing with a so so hand it doesn’t mean you have to go all in. The time pressure has been alleviated a lot with Matthews and Nylander signing.
His hair has been on fire since Tre arrived, he’s useless as a credible source for me nowadays.

Reactions: phillipmike

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

Yeah you’re probably right. The path I meant to 2C totally depends on him hitting some high ceiling goals. But, with Johnny coming off (maybe signing cheaper and transitioning to a different role) the path is there (for more than a few)

It’s important to have these controlled prospects. But it’s scary how thin we are at minute,munching /playoff type Dmen in our prospect pipeline. I don’t really see anyone that doesn’t look like a Sandin clone(at best)

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
Caps are reportedly ready to dump Edmundson. He's on the last year of his deal. MTL already pickiing up half his 3.75. Is he done (injuries) or do we make a play, get Washington to retain another 20 per cent or so, and ship them a B prospect and low pick? He might be good as a 6th or 7th D and playoff insurance.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Caps are reportedly ready to dump Edmundson. He's on the last year of his deal. MTL already pickiing up half his 3.75. Is he done (injuries) or do we make a play, get Washington to retain another 20 per cent or so, and ship them a B prospect and low pick? He might be good as a 6th or 7th D and playoff insurance.

Easy pass, our LD is fine to be honest.

Rielly, McCabe, Benoit, Giordano and Laggesson can all play LD

RD is awful.

Reactions: nuck and arso40

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
A Tanev extension won’t age well
Agreed, Toronto is stuck in the mode of acquiring players past their due dates;

Gio (good pickup at the time, but since resigning him as regressed)
Marleau
Thornton
Reaves
Simmonds

Instead of trading for the player you can keep and know they will play quality mins for you like a Hanafin, Hampus Lindholm, etc. They should be looking for what the player currently is and will be for the next 3-4 years, not what they were 2-3 years prior.

People shouldn’t be attached to the 1st, Miten, Cowan if it nets you a good player for YEARS to come. If Toronto was able to retain ROR, they would be looking a lot better than the current situation. That’s been Toronto biggest issue, they trading prime capital for 30 games of players and have hardly retained any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad