Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Mirtle says in the most recent Leafs report the Leafs are talking to teams about 'every defensemen'. So seems as if they're considering a wide range of options.

He also confirmed they are also looking for a centre

Tanev really seems like the #1 target, but hearing Ristos name come a few times from different sources makes me very nervous he's high on their list... very nervous.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wouldn’t mind something around McBain and Dumba.

I'd love McBain, but Dumba not so much.

""

Dumba has a whole 5 points this year, while being a -10.... he doesn't put up points, isn't very big 181lbs, and has never been that great defensively... but he throws hits, and takes penalties. He's a guy going by name recognition, who's game never matched the reputation, and he's declined since then.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If shit hits the fan come playoffs

I hope we push for a Marner deal. Approach Dubas, he loved marner and would likely still value him highly. Marner would probably waive his NMC for the Pens

2024 summer:

Screenshot_20240208_225607_Samsung Internet.jpg

You have 1 year left of Tavarea at this point where another 11M + Rielly Smoth contract expiring (5M) +cap rise opens

You bring up Cowan + Yeger + Minten onto the team

You have money to go big name hunting:

Can get a Rantanen or Draisaitl if you want

Can add 3-4 6M 2nd line players to supoort Matthews and Nylander + the young core of Yeger, Knies, Cowan, Minten, Robertson.

A lot more flexibility if we deal Marner for futures in the summer and move 9n from JT in the following summer.

Path to serious contention of we build this way and do it aggresively and strategically

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240208_230204_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240208_230204_Samsung Internet.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
If shit hits the fan come playoffs

I hope we push for a Marner deal. Approach Dubas, he loved marner and would likely still value him highly. Marner would probably waive his NMC for the Pens

2024 summer:

View attachment 816857

You have 1 year left of Tavarea at this point where another 11M + Rielly Smoth contract expiring (5M) +cap rise opens

You bring up Cowan + Yeger + Minten onto the team

You have money to go big name hunting:

Can get a Rantanen or Draisaitl if you want

Can add 3-4 6M 2nd line players to supoort Matthews and Nylander + the young core of Yeger, Knies, Cowan, Minten, Robertson.

A lot more flexibility if we deal Marner for futures in the summer and move 9n from JT in the following summer.

Path to serious contention of we build this way and do it aggresively and strategically
Marner would beat the other 9 forwards not named matthews nylander tavares all on his own

Pick any star player from any core in the league and they smash through that 9 players of fluff (No offence to Knies, his day will come).

Marner stays.

Reactions: DraftSchmaft

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'd love McBain, but Dumba not so much.

Dumba has a whole 5 points this year, while being a -10.... he doesn't put up points, isn't very big 181lbs, and has never been that great defensively... but he throws hits, and takes penalties. He's a guy going by name recognition, who's game never matched the reputation, and he's declined since then.
Depends on what you expect from Dumba. Right now he's a McCabe-esque player who can handle more minutes and is a RHD, which is a need.

He's not going to be Rielly like some wanted/expected on draft day, but he can play top 4 and big PK minutes.

Reactions: arso40

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Depends on what you expect from Dumba. Right now he's a McCabe-esque player who can handle more minutes and is a RHD, which is a need.

He's not going to be Rielly like some wanted/expected on draft day, but he can play top 4 and big PK minutes.

Yes, Dumba can handle playing a lot of minutes, just not very well. McCabe is a pretty good defensive player... Dumba is most certainly not that.

One Ice goals %... 33.7%.... Durzi 63% and Valimaki 56% on the same team.. Possession stats are terrible, watching him is terrible,

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Yes, Dumba can handle playing a lot of minutes, just not very well. McCabe is a pretty good defensive player... Dumba is most certainly not that.

One Ice goals %... 33.7%.... Durzi 63% and Valimaki 56% on the same team.. Possession stats are terrible, watching him is terrible,
Who are their partners his is Dermott and they play the defensive minutes I’m pretty sure valimaki on the third pair?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pass on Mantha .. seems like he has spotty work ethic.

Would rather see what Knies, Robertson, and Holmberg can provide as an interchangeable trio in the top 9.

I feel vindicated with Holmberg's growth and impact lately. I've been very high on him since last year that he'd be a very good contributor. He's the kind of cheap, versatile and efficient bottom line forward that is very important. He just needs to keep finding consistency to keep progressing.

I

I wouldn't be surprised if it is both.

Tanev makes a ton of sense. Risto makes 0 sense... if he can't play more than 16 minutes on the Flyers, he'd be expected to play more here? All that cap space wasted again? There are probably league minimum players that can do what he does at an even better efficiency.

I dunno why both makes any sort of sense either. This team just needs 1 very good addition to really up the quality, mainly on the right side. Whatever cap/asset space left needs to be on bolstering the center position if at all possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Jonas had an article in The Athletic arguing the Leafs can't afford to stand pat. The arguments aren't bad but I vehemently disagree. There were too many mistakes in the offseason to fix now at one TDL. The Leafs have essentially the same holes as they did at this point last season, only this time they have far fewer assets to trade to fill them all. Would've been nice to have retained more than just McCabe from last years "all in" TDL but that's spilled milk now.

If the Leafs are going to go big they better be damn sure they can keep whoever they get beyond this season, and that they'll be a good contributor during that time too. Tanev strikes me more as being a Giordano level acquisition (but likely more pricey) where he's good for a season and a half before collapsing due to age. We need another Muzzin situation where we get a guy in his prime and manage to re-sign him, only this time he doesn't get cross-checked in the back and suffers a debilitating and career-ending injury.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I would get peeke he’s still young with a cap hit under 3 and not a ufa he’s big strong and shoots right he has time to get even better as opposed to assets on the decline I only want tanev if we have a way of moving Brodie and using those assets to get tanev

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Tanev really seems like the #1 target, but hearing Ristos name come a few times from different sources makes me very nervous he's high on their list... very nervous.
The Leafs have been linked with Risto for years. Even under Dubas' reign.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Hopefully we could help the Blues have a rough few weeks here. Would love a Schenn+Parayko combo with Sammy/Kampf/Brodie being flipped out somewhere to make the cap work.

Reactions: Duffman955

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Jonas had an article in The Athletic arguing the Leafs can't afford to stand pat. The arguments aren't bad but I vehemently disagree. There were too many mistakes in the offseason to fix now at one TDL. The Leafs have essentially the same holes as they did at this point last season, only this time they have far fewer assets to trade to fill them all. Would've been nice to have retained more than just McCabe from last years "all in" TDL but that's spilled milk now.

If the Leafs are going to go big they better be damn sure they can keep whoever they get beyond this season, and that they'll be a good contributor during that time too. Tanev strikes me more as being a Giordano level acquisition (but likely more pricey) where he's good for a season and a half before collapsing due to age. We need another Muzzin situation where we get a guy in his prime and manage to re-sign him, only this time he doesn't get cross-checked in the back and suffers a debilitating and career-ending injury.
I agree, I can't remember who, I think it was Ken Holland that said "you can't be all in every single year". Top 9 centerman, Top 4 d-man are the major needs for Toronto, and you don't know if there depth scoring is ever going to come.

To me, this isn't the year to make any trades but just ride it out and see what happens. Not a fan of trading a first for 35 games of Tanev, especially if you can get him for free in the summer time.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hopefully we could help the Blues have a rough few weeks here. Would love a Schenn+Parayko combo with Sammy/Kampf/Brodie being flipped out somewhere to make the cap work.

Taking back Luke Schenn would be interesting. I dunno if the Preds or him would be interested but I think it could work. It would have to be cheap though.

As for Parayko, it feels like an off-season thing to do. The cap to move to make that work is rough. But flipping Brodie to be able to add Parayko would be a hell of a shrewd move similar to how the Kings dumped long-time veteran Quick to be able to free up cap.

EDIT: I just realized you might have meant Brayden Schenn... which probably makes more sense. That's 13M of cap space though... and a lot of picks/prospects.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Taking back Luke Schenn would be interesting. I dunno if the Preds or him would be interested but I think it could work. It would have to be cheap though.

As for Parayko, it feels like an off-season thing to do. The cap to move to make that work is rough. But flipping Brodie to be able to add Parayko would be a hell of a shrewd move similar to how the Kings dumped long-time veteran Quick to be able to free up cap.

EDIT: I just realized you might have meant Brayden Schenn... which probably makes more sense. That's 13M of cap space though... and a lot of picks/prospects.

I don't know if they're in love with Kevin Hayes there, he's decent 2-way guy, could maybe dump Kampf.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
How about a trade with the Capitals for both Nic Dowd and Nick Jensen?

Both still have term on their deals, gives us a solid bottom 6 Center and a top 4 RHD.

I’m not solid on the idea, but if the price were right…

Still think if we want to kill two birds with one stone, Seattle is a good partner. Wennberg and Larsson? Would be expensive tho.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

Jonas is essentially draft shmaft. On the recent podcast, he said with where the Leafs are now, screw the picks "they won't help for 5 years". 5 Years ago Wyatt Johnston was 15 years old. This isn't the 90s anymore. Picks can help sooner than later.

Also Isn't opposed to dealing Minten and Cowan. "Are they really that good?" The thing is, if we were San Jose and they were the top prospects, that would be an issue. But when you have a core of former blue chippers who panned out, you don't need stars. You need good contributing depth. It boggles my mind that this goes over peoples' heads. They don't project as a star, so let's deal them away, but we never have depth players.... I wonder why.

Then next year you'd see an article about the lack of depth/pipeline and writing that trading these prospects shouldn't have occurred. Silly stuff. I like Mirtle a lot, but Jonas has gone a bit off the deep end and sometimes you can hear Mirtle trying to reel him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad