Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Feels like it's been a while since the Leafs have been in the mix for Euro FAs.

Tsyplakov would be a nice add. High floor player who could add size and net front presence to the bottom six.

Early to say but I'd personally like to see Grebenkin/Minten start in the AHL and Cowan return to London. Would leave room to get definitive looks at depth guys like Steeves, Holmberg, and potentially Tsyplakov.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I wouldn't necessarily advocate actively trying to trade Lily, but he could probably help return an excellent established player.

An interesting scenario is that if the Leafs aren't comfortable trading the 1st for just Tanev, they could potentially add other assets and look to bring back two players in the deal.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
An interesting scenario is that if the Leafs aren't comfortable trading the 1st for just Tanev, they could potentially add other assets and look to bring back two players in the deal.
Sweet, lets trade even more assets so that we have nothing going forward, then when all the UFA's walk we can complain about how we have no depth again! Then the media will say "well they dont have any 2nd round picks, so they have to trade a first round pick for *insert over the hill UFA defenceman*!" rinse, repeat.

We have made deadline deals the past 5 seasons, what we have to show for it currently is Mccabe for 1 more season at 2 million after this one, Giordano and I guess Kyle Clifford on the Marlies...

Giordano and Mccabe have been good to great, serviceable d-men (Muzzin too, but different circumstances) but thats not a whole lot for 5 years worth of "all in". If it costs us a 1st for UFA 34 year old Tanev thats already way too much to me, if they want us to add in additional assets for more garbage doesnt make it any better.

Not to mention Calgary allegedly wants to make Tre pay more because he worked for them, if that is true then f*** their assets even more.

Reactions: arso40

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Lots of noise around him today. But with 12 or more teams, it may be tough.

But there are others to consider in that euro FA pool.
I do not really get the obsession with him. Are there not better khl free wallets.

Is even that much better than Grebs?

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I really want Weegar but I also don’t want to give up a lot because he could become a boat anchor.

1st + Minten + Timmins + salary dump Kampf and Reaves is probably the most I would be comfortable paying.

Big price to pay, but i'd maybe do it. Finally having another top pairing guy would be amazing. He is just as good, if not better than Rielly is. And who cares if he becomes an anchor near the end of his deal? Time to contend is now, plus Rielly is signed to a similar deal as well.

Talking out loud here…

I wonder about a Woll package to Philly (Carter Hart situation). For Laughton/Seeler.

Then something around a Markstrom/Tanev with some retention for first and Minten +

Markstrom/Hildeby future combo.
That would be aggressive as hell in the position we are in in the standings, but adding an elite goalie, top 4 D, and a gritty 3C would make us as good as anyone on paper. Also not like these guys are rentals minus Tanev who could very well re-sign

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sweet, lets trade even more assets so that we have nothing going forward, then when all the UFA's walk we can complain about how we have no depth again! Then the media will say "well they dont have any 2nd round picks, so they have to trade a first round pick for *insert over the hill UFA defenceman*!" rinse, repeat.

We have made deadline deals the past 5 seasons, what we have to show for it currently is Mccabe for 1 more season at 2 million after this one, Giordano and I guess Kyle Clifford on the Marlies...

Giordano and Mccabe have been good to great, serviceable d-men (Muzzin too, but different circumstances) but thats not a whole lot for 5 years worth of "all in". If it costs us a 1st for UFA 34 year old Tanev thats already way too much to me, if they want us to add in additional assets for more garbage doesnt make it any better.

Not to mention Calgary allegedly wants to make Tre pay more because he worked for them, if that is true then f*** their assets even more.

I don't think a bigger deal with the Flames has to involve "garbage". They've got a number of active players who potentially fit the Leafs needs; Hanifin for example would be worth aggressively exploring if he was willing to extend here.

I understand concerns about depth and prospects but at the same time a 1st round pick at this most recent draft may not be making their NHL debut from anywhere from 3-5 years from now.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Big price to pay, but i'd maybe do it. Finally having another top pairing guy would be amazing. He is just as good, if not better than Rielly is. And who cares if he becomes an anchor near the end of his deal? Time to contend is now, plus Rielly is signed to a similar deal as well.

That would be aggressive as hell in the position we are in in the standings, but adding an elite goalie, top 4 D, and a gritty 3C would make us as good as anyone on paper. Also not like these guys are rentals minus Tanev who could very well re-sign

I chatted with the Philly board, no interest in Woll.

• Haha
Reactions: Mckay

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think a bigger deal with the Flames has to involve "garbage". They've got a number of active players who potentially fit the Leafs needs; Hanifin for example would be worth aggressively exploring if he was willing to extend here.

I understand concerns about depth and prospects but at the same time a 1st round pick at this most recent draft may not be making their NHL debut from anywhere from 3-5 years from now.

I wonder if we could make it work in a different way with a guy like Weegar? Maybe downgrade a pick and give up something kind of ready now?

Weegar
2nd CGY

for

TOR 1st
Liljegren
CGY 5th
Abrusezze (they apparently had interest earlier in the year)
Timmins

Edit: Just did it, even with some demotions we're about 2.9M over the cap....would need to dump Samsonov in the same deal or elsewhere.

COL may value Samsonov or Jones for a 4th-5th in 1 of the next 2 drafts but Woll needs to get healthy.

I'm sure to an extent this would require Calgary feeling they don't love being married to Weegar since Treliving was the one who extended him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I wouldn't necessarily advocate actively trying to trade Lily, but he could probably help return an excellent established player.

I'd want some contact certainty with the 2nd guy, not another pending UFA
I do not really get the obsession with him. Are there not better khl free wallets.

Size, some offense, good tools, PK ability, he can play center, he'd be under 1M

Looks like a player worth getting, especially if he plays on your 3rd line

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I wonder if we could make it work in a different way with a guy like Weegar? Maybe downgrade a pick and give up something kind of ready now?

Weegar
2nd CGY

for

TOR 1st
Liljegren
CGY 5th
Abrusezze (they apparently had interest earlier in the year)
Timmins

Edit: Just did it, even with some demotions we're about 2.9M over the cap....would need to dump Samsonov in the same deal or elsewhere.

COL may value Samsonov or Jones for a 4th-5th in 1 of the next 2 drafts but Woll needs to get healthy.

I'm sure to an extent this would require Calgary feeling they don't love being married to Weegar since Treliving was the one who extended him.
Why would Calgary trade a guy who is signed if they are trading their 2 UFA dmen and for spare parts?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Rasmus Andersson
To Calgary: Timothy Liljegren + Fraser Minten + 1st Rounder

To Toronto: Jacob Middleton
To Minnesota: Nick Robertson + NYI 3rd Rounder

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

I wouldn't say obsession, but he's been the most publicized name of the European FAs this year, and for a team depleted of draft picks, he and others like him are worth a shot.

Specific to him, though, his size and style probably make an easier fit than most for NA style hockey.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's probably related to an injury of some kind, not sure... but Lajoie was recalled by the Leafs.

Lagesson hasn't played at all recently and Timmins is also kicking... so I have no idea why they need Lajoie. They also have zero cap space, but maybe they put Woll LTIR retroactively.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I am uncomfortable with trading our 1st round pick unless it is for a longer-term play than a rental. Target someone who is either locked up or who we agree with regarding an extension.

I wonder how much we would need to trade CGY to get Andersson? Worth inquiring. If not, consider Chychrun or Hanifin. I would rather take a big swing than try and bunt.

Reactions: Scion

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Size, some offense, good tools, PK ability, he can play center, he'd be under 1M

Looks like a player worth getting, especially if he plays on your 3rd line
I did not realize he could play some C.

So they are trying to replace Kampf or Domi or both with a cheap option.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
It's probably related to an injury of some kind, not sure... but Lajoie was recalled by the Leafs.

Lagesson hasn't played at all recently and Timmins is also kicking... so I have no idea why they need Lajoie. They also have zero cap space, but maybe they put Woll LTIR retroactively.
A team wants him as a throw-in. :eek3:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Everything I have seen says Tanev will change hands for a 2nd plus and the Leaf's roadblock is they don't have one for the next couple of drafts. Lily has become a bit polarizing. Some think he is having real difficulty showing he can be a legit top 4 guy and there are still few who think he has more growth. And then there are those who think the coach is his biggest problem. And never mind what we think here, how do other clubs value him? Can he be a significant part of another deal? I would personally would send him and a 1st to Seattle if that would get Larsson. Cheaper and younger than Tanev and with some term left. Maybe other clubs aren't that sold on him though.

I am not one who blames Lily's mediocrity on the coach but wouldn't that blow chunks if it was SK that was preventing his next step?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShape and arso40

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Fine with trading Lilly pad, leafs don’t have time to wait for him to develop into a top 4 dman, this was suppose to be the year he did that, and has struggled to do so.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Gotta get our heads away from rentals. It’s always rentals with this franchise. If we’re going to trade our FRP and a kid like Minten I want a guy who’s going to play more than 35 games for us. Go after Werenski he’s only 26. Go after Andersson. Hell add in Markstrom so we have some stability in net

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Gotta get our heads away from rentals. It’s always rentals with this franchise. If we’re going to trade our FRP and a kid like Minten I want a guy who’s going to play more than 35 games for us. Go after Werenski he’s only 26. Go after Andersson. Hell add in Markstrom so we have some stability in net
People would seemingly prefer a 34 year old broken down UFA for a first rounder, cant make any sense of it myself. It's like nobody ever learns any lessons.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
To Toronto: Rasmus Andersson
To Calgary: Timothy Liljegren + Fraser Minten + 1st Rounder

To Toronto: Jacob Middleton
To Minnesota: Nick Robertson + NYI 3rd Rounder
The Flames will never let go of Andersson and I might give the 3rd rounder for Middleton. I do like him but he was 6th in minutes on the 103pt Minnesota D last season withthe good fortune to be playing most of his minutes beside Spurgeon, This year, with a bigger role on a weaker Wild team and playing mostly beside ROTY candidate Faber he is their worst minus as a top 4 player and more importantly his advanced stats are among the worst on the club. Look for CF% etc without Middleton.

A nice third pairing guy I think and tough too but people are penciling him in like they were Peeke a couple of weeks ago based on the physical package. Robertson would be a massive overpayment. Peeke has to be riskier because he is being trusted with no minutes but actually has better analytics.

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
If your point is just no rentals, I agree. And obviously if prices are absurd, then stand pat, but otherwise I'm firmly against standing pat.

I don't think that not being able to fix every problem means we should fix none if we're acquiring players with term.

The East imo is as wide open as it's been in a long time and our cap next year becomes much more complicated. Put our best foot forward in the playoffs with smart acquisitions, then build on those moves in the offseason when we have more flexibility and can sign UFAs.
We are playing Boston Florida or TBay not wide open.
Boston just smoked Vancouver 4 -0
Florida wiped our asses last yr
TBay they were 9-2 before there last 2 games without there top 2 dman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad