Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
I’m fine with moving our 1st rounder if we’re getting a top 4 dman with term. Colton Parayko would be the dream acquisition. Could see us definitely acquiring him and a forward from the Blues. Parayko is the exact kind of player we need and his $6.5M cap hit for a while is perfect with the cap jumping up significantly. Rielly and Parayko were a pair at the 2016 WCOH too.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I’m fine with moving our 1st rounder if we’re getting a top 4 dman with term. Colton Parayko would be the dream acquisition. Could see us definitely acquiring him and a forward from the Blues. Parayko is the exact kind of player we need and his $6.5M cap hit for a while is perfect with the cap jumping up significantly. Rielly and Parayko were a pair at the 2016 WCOH too.

Big gamble on Parayko for the contract, even with the cap going up. I can see Tre being interested though.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Weegar now leads all dmen in goal scoring with #13 and #14 this afternoon. Rielly leads Leafs dmen with 7. Our current 6 starting dmen have 15 in total.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
The Leafs play the Blues twice in 6 days starting Tuesday which is the likely main reason.

But it's likely also having a longer look at potential targets, one likely being Parayko.
Ya the upcoming games against the Blues was my first thought. Had the tweet mentioned just "scouts" that would have essentially been it for me. Just pro scouts doing advanced scouting. But Treliving there does make it more interesting, unless he does more advanced scouting than we think.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
The Leafs play the Blues twice in 6 days starting Tuesday which is the likely main reason.

But it's likely also having a longer look at potential targets, one likely being Parayko.
Don't forget that Treliving also drove out in a snowstorm to scout Buffalo earlier in the year.

I heard on 32 Thoughts some speculation by Friedman that led me to believe that Mittelstadt could become available. He has blossomed into a top 6 center. He is 6 '1,' still only 25, and has 42 points in 50 games this year, had 59 in 82 last year, and has really good possession metrics on a bad Buffalo team.

He would be a perfect fit on the third line for this playoff push and could be a long-term replacement for Tavares at 2C.

What would we need to add to our 1st round pick this year to get him?

Reactions: ULF_55

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Id do minten + 1st + Hirvonen for hanafin extended

Not for rentals

Doesn't work without retention or player movement to Flames.

I'm guessing, Flames could extend on his current deal, but not have the extension retained?
Minten is a WHL player, which probably holds value to some Canadian teams.

Ya the upcoming games against the Blues was my first thought. Had the tweet mentioned just "scouts" that would have essentially been it for me. Just pro scouts doing advanced scouting. But Treliving there does make it more interesting, unless he does more advanced scouting than we think.

Treliving scouted previous games in Buffalo, and I don't think anything ever came of it.

Maybe he likes Buffalo, or maybe it's his get out of the house ticket? "I have to go work overtime Honey."

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Don't forget that Treliving also drove out in a snowstorm to scout Buffalo earlier in the year.

I heard on 32 Thoughts some speculation by Friedman that led me to believe that Mittelstadt could become available. He has blossomed into a top 6 center. He is 6 '1,' still only 25, and has 42 points in 50 games this year, had 59 in 82 last year, and has really good possession metrics on a bad Buffalo team.

He would be a perfect fit on the third line for this playoff push and could be a long-term replacement for Tavares at 2C.

What would we need to add to our 1st round pick this year to get him?

I think Spectors has some speculation on the Sabres not wanting to pay his upcoming increase ask.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Hakanpaa would be a better target this off-season than Tanev IMO. Probably cost less to sign and doesn’t have the injury history Tanev does. Both play a similar game but Hakanpaa is a few years younger. I think he’d slot in decently next to Rielly.

Rielly - Hakanpaa
Hanifin - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

Would love to see that blueline. Lots of size, physicality and puck moving ability with Hanifin back there. Overall the groups age is pretty low as well.
I like this route as well. Find a cheaper stay at home RD who is not a top3D in a vacuum, but can compliment Rielly (ala Schenn).

Then, spend bigger dollars on a high quality LD to anchor the 2nd pair and bump down McCabe.

Reactions: aingefan

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
What do you guys think it would take to acquire Parayko?

To Toronto: Colton Parayko
To St. Louis: 1st Round Draft Pick + Topi Niemela + Nick Robertson

Rielly - Parayko
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe
Giordano

Looks pretty darn good to me.
Cap says no? I feel like we’d need to send some salary back to make it work.
He’d be a great pickup for us, no doubt. Perfect partner for Rielly. Just not sure STL would be looking to send him packing.

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Speculate away, probably little more then just "scouting" as St.Louis is not in our division and Buffalo isn't close to a playoff spot.

Next game is against the Blues. I've noticed that teams do generally have someone at games when they have an upcoming game against the team.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
…..

Actually that’s why Tre shouldn’t be there, we play them twice anyways, so he will see plenty. The scout should be there, Tre is interesting. Maybe it means he’s watching Buffalo.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
…..

Acrually that’s why Tre shouldn’t be there, we play them twice anyways, so he will see plenty. The scout should be there, Tre is interesting. Maybe it means he’s watching Buffalo.
This could be the case. A trade with Buffalo would almost certainly fall under the typical buyer/seller deal that occurs around the trade deadline, whereas a transaction with St. Louis might be more of a hockey trade due to the current standings.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
It's already gone.

They're just easing you into it. That's most of the reason rumors get leak leaked as well.
This ^ when you hear insiders say “Leafs are willing to trade a 1st rounder, it basically means it’s been offered in trade proposals for weeks maybe months and someone has leaked it. The FRP should be viewed as already gone. Treliving is probably going to move it by the deadline.

The question shouldn’t be WILL he trade it. It should be now who is he trading it for?

Reactions: Menzinger

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Did Burke factor in OZ% when he made that assessment.

The assessment that he hasn't been good? Seems like a similar issue he had with Calgary where he can't high in the lineup. He's at 38% OZ% with 17 minutes TOI/G (6th). He's also 6th in PK minutes per game among their D. It would likely be more favourable with more offensive zone starts in terms of corsi but not sure it would change the assessment that he hasn't been good.

With Calgary, he had 58% OZ% and 56 SAT% in his 16 minutes per game.

To compare, Simon Benoit is at 36% OZ% and at least 51% SAT% (or Corsi).

Last edited:

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

They've been on and off talking with the Blues for a while, I think late last year I don't remember when I said it...it was before the Bortuzzo trade though.

Don't think it's just because of the soon match tbh. It could also be as simple as looking at the sabres who knows though

Reactions: SprDaVE

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If it's for a guy who can be here for 2+ seasons I don't care.

A one and done rental should be out of the question though

Its a tough balancing act, help now would be great but no 2nds for 3 years and no first next season scare the crap out of me

That's prospect pool death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad