Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
This team really shouldn’t be buying this deadline. I don’t know who’s got the ear of Treliving and Shanahan but it needs to be stressed to them that this is not the year to add.
I feel like most people feel about this team the way I have felt about it for years, that they are not close to a cup. I really, really wanted them to stay away from throwing so many futures away over the past 3 or 4 years (Canadian division aside).

I just haven't seen this team be big and strong enough (whilst also being able to play) to go deep in the playoffs. That's why I really wanted them to extend Hyman. More than most of the moves they made I wanted that one done.

I wish we had put more emphasis on drafting big, solid defensemen that small skilled forwards. And I wanted us to keep more draft picks.

I honestly don't know how you can actually turn this team into a team that will go on deep playoff runs, before Matthews starts to slow down. I think this is going to take years.

I really hope it doesn't.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Let's shake the world....

Tyler Bertuzzi to Vegas for Brett Howden and a 1st round pick.
Timothy Liljegren, Nick Abruzzese, and Vegas' 1st to Calgary or Noah Hanifin at 50% salary (with an extension)
Nick Robertson, Conor Timmins, and our 1st to St. Lous for Colton Parayko and Oskar Sundvist at 50% salary

Matthew Knies Auston Matthews - William Nylander
Max Domi - John Tavares - Mitch Marner
Pontus Holmberg - David Kampf - Calle Jarnkrok
Oskar Sundvist - Brett Howden - Noah Gregor

Noah Hanifin - Colton Parayko
Morgan Rielly - TJ Brodie
Simon Benoit - Jake McCabe

Next year, only Domi, Sundvist, and Brodie are UFAs. Gregor and Benoit are RFAs.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

Speculate away, probably little more then just "scouting" as St.Louis is not in our division and Buffalo isn't close to a playoff spot.

Parayko would be a dream come true honestly.
He’s been really solid this year and would be a perfect fit beside Rielly. Defensive first 6’6 230 pound RHD.

That’s the type of D I would move our 1st this year for, not Tanev.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
These Risto trade rumours make me a bit worried about the pro scouting for this team. Over the past 5 years, they've been in on Ceci, Myers, and Risto when he was on the Sabres. There's got to be a guy in there who is just galaxy braining these things. Get a guy with results and lock him in for a couple of seasons.
This team is gonna get bent over if tre panicks
This club feels more like the Penguins or to a less extent Chicago when the stars still got paid but were mediocre
The wrong part is the core 4 were paid to actually win something

Reactions: ToneDog

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
U

Timothy Liljegren, Nick Abruzzese, and Vegas' 1st to Calgary or Noah Hanifin at 50% salary (with an extension)
Nick Robertson, Conor Timmins, and our 1st to St. Lous for Colton Parayko and Oskar Sundvist at 50% salary

Next year, only Domi, Sundvist, and Brodie are UFAs. Gregor and Benoit are RFAs.
That's creative but our gms havnt been creative in any way

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Holes all over the roster and no cap space or capital to address them, bad spot to be in. At this point it's clear as day we need a coaching change, see if a different voice can extract any value out of some of the under performers.

I'm not blaming Tre for not moving one of the core, as I'm convinced that decision is out of his hands. To reach contender status we need a 2C, two top 4D, and a legit goalie. Good luck with that.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
No GM is trading quality for quantity. Truth is Tre has very little he can trade to get a good piece with term.
Should have held off on overpaying Styles, it was the only bargaining chip that could have been packaged for a good return, instead they’re stuck with 8 more years of mail it in efforts from 88……

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

Would we be able to afford Hanifin at say $7.5 and Parayko at $6 in next years payroll?

I do like those trades, we add 2 good top 4 guys and we hang onto all our top prospects

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Would we be able to afford Hanifin at say $7.5 and Parayko at $6 in next years payroll?

I do like those trades, we add 2 good top 4 guys and we hang onto all our top prospects
yeah. The cap works. I had the same two guys coming to Toronto in a post earlier in this thread. I had Bertuzzi going out too.

I had Kampf and Brodie going out too and Liljegren staying. The Brodie dump removes the need for retention and maybe saves us an asset.

Rielly Parayko
Hanifin Liljegren
McCabe Benoit
Giordano Lagesson

Reactions: aingefan and arso40

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
yeah. The cap works. I had the same two guys coming to Toronto in a post earlier in this thread. I had Bertuzzi going out too.

I had Kampf and Brodie going out too and Liljegren staying. The Brodie dump removes the need for retention and maybe saves us an asset.

Rielly Parayko
Hanifin Liljegren
McCabe Benoit
Giordano Lagesson
If we could somehow keep Liljegren while adding those guys that would be a steady steady defence for a long time.

We’d have to be pretty confident in our goaltending, Woll especially because adding 2 big money D’s means we might not have a lot to spend on a goalie.

Bottom 6 also looks kinda thin but we have Minten and possibly Cowen on ELC’s next year and PTO guys like Gregor can fill out a 4th line.

Reactions: aingefan and arso40

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Should have held off on overpaying Styles, it was the only bargaining chip that could have been packaged for a good return, instead they’re stuck with 8 more years of mail it in efforts from 88……
After watching him dominate before signing, it is sad to see him revert back to his old self. Time will tell if it was all for the contract. We are f***ed with this version of Willie unless he is fully engaged in games 83+.

Reactions: rumman and ACC1224

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I kinda think this year is lost. Make playoffs. Out in R1 again. This time let’s not waste tons of picks. I agreed with about 80% of dubas decisions. I didn’t like spending all those picks on rentals.

If Tre can do trade picks for players with term Im in. If not. Just punt.

Next year we have 22 million to spend with

Knies. Matthews. Marner
Xxxx. JT. Willy
Xxxxx. Jarnkrok
Pontus. Kampf. Reeves.

Reilly.
McCabe

Woll.

I think Robbie/benoit. Are 1 million each (give or take) so

20 million for 2 forwards. 3 D and a back up.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

It’s tight, but possible. We’d have a bit more than 7 million to resign RFAs Benoit and Gregor. After that, we would need to add 3 things - a partner for Woll, a middle 6 LW, and a #4/5 defenseman to play with Rielly.

Sounds like an expensive add to say we need a partner for Rielly, but Hanifin and Parayko is the shut-down pair. Benoit and McCabe is the beat-down pair. Rielly and partner get to play offensive minutes, so we can cheap out on l his partner.

1.5 for Benoit
900k for Gregor, but I hope we don’t use him.
1.5 for a veteran #2 for Woll
ELC for the LWer (Minten, Grebyonkin)
1.5 for Rielly’s partner (or ELC like Neimela)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I kinda think this year is lost. Make playoffs. Out in R1 again. This time let’s not waste tons of picks. I agreed with about 80% of dubas decisions. I didn’t like spending all those picks on rentals.

Knies. Matthews. Marner
Xxxx. JT. Willy
Xxxxx. Jarnkrok
Pontus. Kampf. Reeves.

Reilly.
McCabe

Woll.

20 million is probably used up just to sign the good #2, #3, and #4 defenders we need…

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto

Knies. Matthews. Marner
Xxxx. JT. Willy
Xxxxx. Jarnkrok
Pontus. Kampf. Reeves.

Reilly.
McCabe

Woll.

If Tavares is your 2C you will be in the same spot next year

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
It’s tight, but possible. We’d have a bit more than 7 million to resign RFAs Benoit and Gregor. After that, we would need to add 3 things - a partner for Woll, a middle 6 LW, and a #4/5 defenseman to play with Rielly.

Sounds like an expensive add to say we need a partner for Rielly, but Hanifin and Parayko is the shut-down pair. Benoit and McCabe is the beat-down pair. Rielly and partner get to play offensive minutes, so we can cheap out on l his partner.

1.5 for Benoit
900k for Gregor, but I hope we don’t use him.
1.5 for a veteran #2 for Woll
ELC for the LWer (Minten, Grebyonkin)
1.5 for Rielly’s partner (or ELC like Neimela)
Gregor needs to go we should have promoted a marlie like guys are probably discouraged In the A cause the guys we’re going to get are not much better than our rookies if they are even better at all

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Yeah. Ideally Tavares is our top 6 LW next season or 3C. 2C is looking like more and more of a priority, maybe it can be addressed at next TDL with more cap space.

He’s an anchor 5v5, no way around it.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I would rather go a single season with bare bones offensive support, (yes, even compared to this year at least Knies/ Robbie/ etc will be older and hopefully more likely to contribute a bit more) but bolster our defence for once in my lifetime.

Rielly (7.5m x 6y)- Pesce (6m x 5y)
Skjei (6.5 x 5)- Liljegren (2 x 2)
Benoit (1.4 x 2)- Mccabe (2x1)
Laggesson (875x1)

So just over 25 million for the top 6 D corps, over 26 million if you want a number 7 on the team, you could replace Pesce and Skjei for who you prefer to sign in the offseason/ trade for but that's such a major change to the back end that relying only on the big guys up front hopefully wouldnt be as necessary because we dont need to score 5 goals to win.

Then for shits and giggles, without signing any forwards from another team...

Knies-Matts-Marns
Robertson-JT-Nylander
Minten- Holmberg- Jarnkrok
Gregor (1 mill?) - Kampf - Steeves (another mill?)
Reeves

Woll
Kahkonen (or Nedelkevicz, or Sammy if youre a real believer...) probably under 3 million just for some security if Woll gets hurt again

I mean, yeah we would need players to finally step the f*** up but at least the core of the defence would be solidified for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafEgo

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013

Fits next year with the cap going up and Bertuzzi ($5.5 million), Brodie ($5.0 million), Samsonov ($3.5 million) and Domi (3.0 million coming off the cap. The key will be getting young ELCs to play and produce.

2025 could like something like this...

1C: Matthews ($13.25 million)
2C: Tavares ($11.0 million)
3C: Wennberg ($4.8 million)
4C: McMann ($900k)

1LW: Knies (925k)
2LW: Grebyonkin (925k)
3LW: Holmberg (800k)
4LW: Robertson (800k)

1RW: Marner ($10.9 million)
2RW: Nylander ($11.5 million)
3RW: Jarnkrok ($2.1 million)