Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What makes hannifin so good? I'd rather have weegar or Anderson.

A fair question. I'm not sure if Anderson is even available. And Hanifin is three years younger than Weegar which is an advantage.

Personally I'd be fine with any of those three over Tanev, though they'll all cost more

Last edited:
Reactions: ashs and TMLAM34

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
With Parayko's deal looking like it may be a bit of a problem down the road, I wonder if a Burns to Carolina type trade might work.

He will fill a hole for us right now while our guys are in their primes.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
I don't mind giving up first round picks for guys who will be here longer than just this year. Problem with dubas was he was giving away firsts for guys who would only play here a couple of months

Reactions: Kurtz

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Big gamble on Parayko for the contract, even with the cap going up. I can see Tre being interested though.
Provided Kampf doesn't have the Blues on his list I think its doable. IMO he has slight negative value but he isn't going to be bought out, he would play for them. That creates the cap cushion that makes him cheaper than Tanev who they aren't likely to want to extend more than a year at a time.

There is no guarantee Parayko is as impactful Tanev would be this season. His analytics went south as soon as Pietrangelo was gone so the concern is that with zero sheltering he isn't as effective. On the other hand he has spent a lot of time beside Leddy the last couple of years who hasn't been an effective top 4 player since 2017 and Marco Scandella the year before that. These are both worse players than todays Brodie for instance, so the chance for an up-tic is really good.

Tanev has been really good for the Flames the last 3 years including last year when the club kind of collapsed. Still positive analytics this year in spite of his OZ starts being the lowest of his Flames career so unlike Parayko he doesn't have to turn anything around, he just needs to play his game. But his best before date is ticking. Personally I would be good with either

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Provided Kampf doesn't have the Blues on his list I think its doable. IMO he has slight negative value but he isn't going to be bought out, he would play for them. That creates the cap cushion that makes him cheaper than Tanev who they aren't likely to want to extend more than a year at a time.

There is no guarantee Parayko is as impactful Tanev would be this season. His analytics went south as soon as Pietrangelo was gone so the concern is that with zero sheltering he isn't as effective. On the other hand he has spent a lot of time beside Leddy the last couple of years who hasn't been an effective top 4 player since 2017 and Marco Scandella the year before that. These are both worse players than todays Brodie for instance, so the chance for an up-tic is really good.

Tanev has been really good for the Flames the last 3 years including last year when the club kind of collapsed. Still positive analytics this year in spite of his OZ starts being the lowest of his Flames career so unlike Parayko he doesn't have to turn anything around, he just needs to play his game. But his best before date is ticking. Personally I would be good with either

Blues LD is pretty bad.

It's kind of a chance I would be willing to take.

Reactions: Scion

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I remember when the Blues were borderline and traded Stastny

They were also borderline and traded Shattenkirk

I don't see any of Brodie, Bertuzzi, Domi or Samsonov returning...I would look to get what I can for them, reload over the summer and come back better.

Will they actually do this? No, definitely not.

I just would like some intelligent decision making up top and it doesn't happen these days and the only thing I can think of is because "It's Toronto" - we overthink everything here.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This team really shouldn’t be buying this deadline. I don’t know who’s got the ear of Treliving and Shanahan but it needs to be stressed to them that this is not the year to add.

Reactions: ToneDog

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
This team really shouldn’t be buying this deadline. I don’t know who’s got the ear of Treliving and Shanahan but it needs to be stressed to them that this is not the year to add.
SELL SELL SELL!!! This team IS NOT a player or two away from seriously competing in the playoffs. Even bringing in a good Dman or two or someone else and Woll coming back and playing great isn't enough to change the demeanor and atmosphere of this team which is soft and often disinterested and not consistently working their asses off night in and night out as a group.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
SELL SELL SELL!!! This team IS NOT a player or two away from seriously competing in the playoffs. Even bringing in a good Dman or two or someone else and Woll coming back and playing great isn't enough to change the demeanor and atmosphere of this team which is soft and often disinterested and not consistently working their asses off night in and night out as a group.

I wouldn’t hate a soft rebuild that sees us sell Bertuzzi, Domi, and Brodie for young players/prospects and go into next season with those guys + Minten and Cowan on the roster alongside Robertson and Knies.

There’s also a perfect Brodie replacement in free agency in Pesce.

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
We should trade our expiring contracts. Domi has been great in the 3rd line. bertuzzi hasn't really clicked. Our front office has no ballz. Raps did what they had too to win

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Bertuzzi has to go.
Completely useless.

Domi is barely a third liner.

Damn this team from top to bottom is hot garbage.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No idea but I would try. Youth, pics, bertuzzi whatever
It would start with Nylander or Marner and I doubt they'd be interested in Marner and his $11m cap hit. Hell they might not even be interested in Nylander and his new deal for those 2.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
In terms of much needed cap re-distribution and re-tooling without tearing things down, I'd love to do the following...

To Toronto
Clayton Keller ($7.1 x 4 more seasons)
Mavric Lamoureux
2nd round pick

To Arizona
Mitch Marner
David Kampf

Note: Keller at $7.1 million gets you back to the same cap balance Toronto had this year with Marner at $10.8 million and Nylander at $7.0. Instead, it would be Keller at $7.1 million and Nylander at $11.5 million in a year in which the cap is going up. Lamoureux has a lot of promise as a late 1st rounder and the Leafs badly need defensive prospects, especially ones with size. Kampf would be a little bit of a cap dump, but a nice bottom 6 player for Arizona.

To Toronto
Colton Parayko ($6.5 million x 6)

To St. Louis
1st round pick
Fraser Minten
Ronie Hirvonen

Note: Parayko would be the ideal Partner for Reilly for the next 4-5 years. Even if he declines a little bit, he's still a lot better then anything the Leafs have. I don't want to lose Minten, but if it has to be done in a trade that gets us a top pairing D-man, so be it.

- Sign Chris Tanev as a free agent this summer.

- Sign Alexander Wennberg as a free agent this summer.

Re-tooled 2025 Leafs...

Knies-Matthews-Keller
Grebyonkin-Tavares-Nylander
Holmberg-Wennberg-Jarnkrok
Robertson-McMann-FA / Prospect

Reilly / Parayko
McCabe / Tanev
Benoit / Liljegren
Niemela

I really, really like the balance of that team and it absolutely can fit under the salary cap expected next season.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Well we lost to the Sens and are probably losing Rielly for a bit.

Back to sell mode. :laugh:

Does anyone think we can get anything Kampf?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
In terms of much needed cap re-distribution and re-tooling without tearing things down, I'd love to do the following...

To Toronto
Clay Keller ($7.1 x 4 more seasons)
Mavric Lamoureux
2nd round pick

To Arizona
Mitch Marner
David Kampf

Note: Keller at $7.1 million gets you back to the same cap balance Toronto had this year with Marner at $10.8 million and Nylander at $7.0. Instead, it would be Keller at $7.1 million and Nylander at $11.5 million in a year in which the cap is going up. Lamoureux has a lot of promise as a late 1st rounder and the Leafs badly need defensive prospects, especially ones with size. Kampf would be a little bit of a cap dump, but a nice bottom 6 player for Arizona.

To Toronto
Colton Parayko ($6.5 million x 6)

To St. Louis
1st round pick
Fraser Minten
Ronie Hirvonen

Note: Parayko would be the ideal Partner for Reilly for the next 4-5 years. Even if he declines a little bit, he's still a lot better then anything the Leafs have. I don't want to lose Minten, but if it has to be done in a trade that gets us a top pairing D-man, so be it.

- Sign Chris Tanev as a free agent this summer.

- Sign Alexander Wennberg as a free agent this summer.

Re-tooled 2025 Leafs...

Knies-Matthews-Keller
Grebyonkin-Tavares-Nylander
Holmberg-Wennberg-Jarnkrok
Robertson-McMann-FA / Prospect

Reilly / Parayko
McCabe / Tanev
Benoit / Liljegren
Niemela

I really, really like the balance of that team and it absolutely can fit under the salary cap expected next season.

I don't think it's likely that Marner waives his NMC, but it's even less likely that he waives to go to play in a college arena....

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
We have several holes, so if we're dealing a 1st and/or prospects, I think it needs to be for a guy who could steal us a series - a goalie. Saros has been rumoured to be on the block, he hasn't been great this year so we'd be buying relatively low, and he's under control for next year as well.

Giving up a 1st for Tanev would not move the needle nearly enough.

Reactions: TMLAM34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad