Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I've liked him since his Bulldog days. Thought it was a shame the Leafs didn't give him an elc.

I think he can be a 4th liner, though not sure if he's a better choice at the moment than some Marlies

David Kampf

1707685011999.png

1707685036638.png

Dominic Toninato

1707685063472.png

1707685092313.png

Basically Kampf gets more difficult zone starts 5v5 but failing with them.

Toninato for all the salary difference there is, would probably slot in and there wouldn't be a significant difference. Our PK sucks anyway.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
FWIW, compare the roster of last year's playoff team to whatever you think Tre can do at the TDL this year, and ask yourself if you think Tre can top what we had last year? I don't think he can.

Last year's team was, imo, the strongest team we've iced going into the playoffs in many a long year. Sadly, we were not good enough, again. Blame the coach, the goaltending, the D, the O, or whatever combination of all of the above you like, we were not good enough.

Unless Tre is able to move one of the core, which I don't think he can before the deadline due to cap considerations and all that (but perhaps during the offseason?) he's dealing with players who are underperforming: Bert, Domi (to a lesser extent), Kamph, Brodie, Samsonov, Liljegren (who I would not move, high ankle sprains are a bitch, see Rielly, Morgan), Gregor, Gio, Timmins and Reaves; while assets we have of some potential value are assets we will need to hold onto as we need cost controlled players while carrying 4 $11M+ players next year. Knies, Robertson, Cowan, Minten, our 1st, Grebyonkin (sp?), Niemela, Chadwick, Woll and Hildeby all potential value, but I don't think they would return the needed difference makers required to make this team as good as last year's team...at least on paper. We might win a series, maybe two, but the Cup?

We're currently looking at close to 22M in cap space next year. If we move on from: Bert, Domi, Kamph, Brodie, Timmins, Gregor, and buy out Reaves, that adds close to 17.5M to our cap space. I wouldn't expect the return for any of these players to be great, but I could see using those returns to acquire a player or two who are improvements over what is currently being used in whatever role(s) we see today. With the added 10M in cap space (assuming we were to use the returns for 2 players at a combined 7.5M...1 D/1F?) we'd be looking at FA this year with close to 32M to spend.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
You’re not signing Hanifin for 6.5. 7.5 at the least.
I'm fine with that. Get the extra $1.0 million by either paying less for a goalie, or saving $1.0 million at the 3C option and choosing somebody else over Wennberg.

Regardless, you can still make it fit under the cap.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
FWIW, compare the roster of last year's playoff team to whatever you think Tre can do at the TDL this year, and ask yourself if you think Tre can top what we had last year? I don't think he can.

Last year's team was, imo, the strongest team we've iced going into the playoffs in many a long year. Sadly, we were not good enough, again. Blame the coach, the goaltending, the D, the O, or whatever combination of all of the above you like, we were not good enough.

Unless Tre is able to move one of the core, which I don't think he can before the deadline due to cap considerations and all that (but perhaps during the offseason?) he's dealing with players who are underperforming: Bert, Domi (to a lesser extent), Kamph, Brodie, Samsonov, Liljegren (who I would not move, high ankle sprains are a bitch, see Rielly, Morgan), Gregor, Gio, Timmins and Reaves; while assets we have of some potential value are assets we will need to hold onto as we need cost controlled players while carrying 4 $11M+ players next year. Knies, Robertson, Cowan, Minten, our 1st, Grebyonkin (sp?), Niemela, Chadwick, Woll and Hildeby all potential value, but I don't think they would return the needed difference makers required to make this team as good as last year's team...at least on paper. We might win a series, maybe two, but the Cup?

We're currently looking at close to 22M in cap space next year. If we move on from: Bert, Domi, Kamph, Brodie, Timmins, Gregor, and buy out Reaves, that adds close to 17.5M to our cap space. I wouldn't expect the return for any of these players to be great, but I could see using those returns to acquire a player or two who are improvements over what is currently being used in whatever role(s) we see today. With the added 10M in cap space (assuming we were to use the returns for 2 players at a combined 7.5M...1 D/1F?) we'd be looking at FA this year with close to 32M to spend.
Id keep all the kids move the old vets and play out the year get bacc some draft capital and be ready for next year sometimes you gotta take a step bacc to take two steps forward

horner

May 22, 2007
Let's shake the world....

Tyler Bertuzzi to Vegas for Brett Howden and a 1st round pick.
Timothy Liljegren, Nick Abruzzese, and Vegas' 1st to Calgary or Noah Hanifin at 50% salary (with an extension)
Nick Robertson, Conor Timmins, and our 1st to St. Lous for Colton Parayko and Oskar Sundvist at 50% salary

Matthew Knies Auston Matthews - William Nylander
Max Domi - John Tavares - Mitch Marner
Pontus Holmberg - David Kampf - Calle Jarnkrok
Oskar Sundvist - Brett Howden - Noah Gregor

Noah Hanifin - Colton Parayko
Morgan Rielly - TJ Brodie
Simon Benoit - Jake McCabe

Next year, only Domi, Sundvist, and Brodie are UFAs. Gregor and Benoit are RFAs.
You aren't getting Hanifin at that price and at 50% off.
Probably a 1st Minten Robertson
or
2 1st rd pks

It's not worth the draft capital we would have to give up.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Lets see how long Morgan has to sit and whether the Leafs can win without him, the results might be the difference of obtaining, selling, or holding pat with regards to roster moves………

horner

May 22, 2007
Fits next year with the cap going up and Bertuzzi ($5.5 million), Brodie ($5.0 million), Samsonov ($3.5 million) and Domi (3.0 million coming off the cap. The key will be getting young ELCs to play and produce.

2025 could like something like this...

1C: Matthews ($13.25 million)
2C: Tavares ($11.0 million)
3C: Wennberg ($4.8 million)
4C: McMann ($900k)

1LW: Knies (925k)
2LW: Grebyonkin (925k)
3LW: Holmberg (800k)
4LW: Robertson (800k)

1RW: Marner ($10.9 million)
2RW: Nylander ($11.5 million)
3RW: Jarnkrok ($2.1 million)
4RW: FA / Prospect ($900k)

1LD: Reilly ($6.5 million)
2LD: Hanifin ($6.5 million)
3LD: Benoit ($1.2 million)

13th: Prospects ($775k)

1RD: Parayko ($6.5 million)
2RD: McCabe ($2.0 million
3RD: FA ($1.0 million)

7th: Prospect ($775k)

1G: Woll ($750k)
2G: FA ($3.0 million)

Total Cap Hit: $87,700,000
Hanifin 8 mil

Reactions: ULF_55

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
I bet if you gave Holmberg or even Steeves Bertuzzi’s minutes and spot they would have at least the same production.

It’s tough cause I think that was the one signing that was almost universally liked. He was wanted in years past and the team has been desperately looking for a higher quality LW to play in the top 6. It just hasn’t worked.

Given they seems committed to riding it out I would go with what O’dog said on overdrive and put him back with Mitch and AM and just ride it.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I bet if you gave Holmberg or even Steeves Bertuzzi’s minutes and spot they would have at least the same production.

It’s tough cause I think that was the one signing that was almost universally liked. He was wanted in years past and the team has been desperately looking for a higher quality LW to play in the top 6. It just hasn’t worked.

Given they seems committed to riding it out I would go with what O’dog said on overdrive and put him back with Mitch and AM and just ride it.
When Bertuzzi started to play better, I was surprised Keefe didn’t try him again with AM and MM. I really like Knies and he’s going to be a really good player for us but I don’t think he’s ready to play against other opposing teams best players.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Knies - Domi - Jarnkrok
McMann - Kampf - Holmberg

I’d give that a run for a bit.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
When Bertuzzi started to play better, I was surprised Keefe didn’t try him again with AM and MM. I really like Knies and he’s going to be a really good player for us but I don’t think he’s ready to play against other opposing teams best players.

Knies - Domi - Jarnkrok

you’d probably need a new coach for that to happen

Reactions: TMLAM34 and Buds17

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I would like to see a McMann - Kampf - Holmberg unit as the 4th line for an extended run. I don't mind the other combos so much at full strength. But, that line may keep up better with other teams bottom lines and start to produce positive results. Worth a trial.

Gregor and Reaves aren't playoff starters for me. Either they make that 4th line work or they need another bottom-6 forward for the drive.

Reactions: Buds17

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Just working backwards here for a moment.

Assuming the more realistic option is to regroup for a stronger offseason to be a peak level contender by 2026. (2025 might be a bit of an unknown with the contract overlaps and the Tavares rate of decline is just a big question mark.)

That means we have 3 trade deadlines and 2 full offseasons to clean up and optimize the team between now and the 2026 playoffs start…

That doesn’t mean we can’t buy or make big moves starting today. But it means we need players of an age group that are still here and still good, still growing by 2026. Also means that whatever roster fix you install has to be here in 2026.

So if I were in charge those would be the broad parameters of whatever I do at the deadline. Maybe Bertuzzi, Brodie, Domi and whatever else you want can be shuffled out for assets now. They aren’t performing well anyway.

If I’m buying, and moving a 1st, Minten, Liljegren, whatever I’m looking more towards Hanifin with a new contract than a Tanev. If I look at goaltending I’m getting Saros for the long haul. Nothing short term, no quick fixes. Things have to work for the next window, opening up wider in 2026.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Eklund: "I am hearing the Blues turned down William Nylander for Parayko a few months ago, and the current market price tag is "2 First round picks, plus a prospect."

;)

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The more I think about it, the more I dislike the idea of moving top prospects. We will need them to step in over the next few years more than ever based on our top heavy cap structure.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Eklund: "I am hearing the Blues turned down William Nylander for Parayko a few months ago, and the current market price tag is "2 First round picks, plus a prospect."

;)

For who? Parayko? Lol. I wouldn't even give up a 1st for him let alone two 1sts and a prospect. Dude's contract is an anchor and he isn't the same player he was during the Blues cup run.

Would not waste assets on him unless there is 50% retention. Even then I'd be wary.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

;)

Maybe Elkund misheard and it was for a freshly cloned Chris Pronger on an ELC.

horner

May 22, 2007

Knies - Domi - Jarnkrok

I also think Bertuzzi Domi Jarnkrok would work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad