Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
When Bertuzzi started to play better, I was surprised Keefe didn’t try him again with AM and MM. I really like Knies and he’s going to be a really good player for us but I don’t think he’s ready to play against other opposing teams best players.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Knies - Domi - Jarnkrok
McMann - Kampf - Holmberg

I’d give that a run for a bit.
This is what I've been thinking, mainly because I feel like that 3rd line needs some muscle who doesn't get pushed off the puck easily.

Reactions: arso40 and TMLAM34

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Parayko previously had issues with his back and it seems like that got sorted out. The issue is he gets tough minutes and the Blues LD sucks.

I'd prefer Weegar to Parayko but think Parayko costs less to acquire via trade.
Strangely enough I think both of them fits the Leafs well.
McCabe being with Weegar will be great as McCabe will focus more on defense.
Parayko is pretty much a bigger, younger and faster version of Schenn.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Strangely enough I think both of them fits the Leafs well.
McCabe being with Weegar will be great as McCabe will focus more on defense.
Parayko is pretty much a bigger, younger and faster version of Schenn.

Parayko is a lot of the things but I think the one thing that would frustrate is he is FULLY capable of destroying guys physically but doesn't do it enough.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Off topic but Darcy tucker was standing behind me at security at the Fort Myers airport in Florida. I guess I chickend out because he was one of my favourite players and didn't really say anything...
Point is man I miss having a guy like that on the team, he looks like he could still fight too 😂

Reactions: horner and TMLAM34

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Parayko is a lot of the things but I think the one thing that would frustrate is he is FULLY capable of destroying guys physically but doesn't do it enough.
He will fit right in with the Leafs.

Off topic but Darcy tucker was standing behind me at security at the Fort Myers airport in Florida. I guess I chickend out because he was one of my favourite players and didn't really say anything...
Point is man I miss having a guy like that on the team, he looks like he could still fight too 😂
Should had asked him about what he would had done if someone take a slapper at the empty net

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Can someone explain to me exactly why St. Louis is considering trading Parayko anyway? Doesn't look like they are out of the playoffs, or making any noise at all about rebuilding, or retooling.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Can someone explain to me exactly why St. Louis is considering trading Parayko anyway? Doesn't look like they are out of the playoffs, or making any noise at all about rebuilding, or retooling.
I don't really think they are but I'm sure they know they need to rebuild a bit

Scion

May 25, 2012
I would have said he needs a puck transporter, Engvall/Mikhayev helped him on that and then he generally was fine with in zone coverage but basically has the same assignment this year usually with Gregor and McCann/Reaves but failing hard.
I think people generally miss the plot when it comes to players like Kampf. He is good without the puck and excels in effort plays in the DZ that don't necessarily show up in most goal or WAR models but can be captured on video and with some micro stats. I believe the key to getting the most out of Kampf is to pair him with players that can help overcome his deficiencies, namely exiting the DZ with control and possessing the puck through the NZ so that the Leafs can leverage Kampfs strengths to spend less time in their own zone. I think the idea of Gregor makes sense because of his speed, but I don't know how effective he is at creating controlled exits. Then there is Reaves who only amplifies Kampf's weaknesses with his own inability to make plays with the puck on his stick.

In a perfect world I'd like to see Kampf paired with Holmberg and then find someone who can mimic Engvall's ability to exit the DZ under control. I don't know who fits that profile on the team so maybe someone with the Marlies?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think people generally miss the plot when it comes to players like Kampf. He is good without the puck and excels in effort plays in the DZ that don't necessarily show up in most goal or WAR models but can be captured on video and with some micro stats. I believe the key to getting the most out of Kampf is to pair him with players that can help overcome his deficiencies, namely exiting the DZ with control and possessing the puck through the NZ so that the Leafs can leverage Kampfs strengths to spend less time in their own zone. I think the idea of Gregor makes sense because of his speed, but I don't know how effective he is at creating controlled exits. Then there is Reaves who only amplifies Kampf's weaknesses with his own inability to make plays with the puck on his stick.

In a perfect world I'd like to see Kampf paired with Holmberg and then find someone who can mimic Engvall's ability to exit the DZ under control. I don't know who fits that profile on the team so maybe someone with the Marlies?
Or we just trade Kampf and admit that it was a mistake to resign him and trade away Lafferty.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Or we just trade Kampf and admit that it was a mistake to resign him and trade away Lafferty.
My only response to that is kampf was more part of the team then laff he was a thrown in depth piece not saying kampf was the core but he was already here for 2 seasons

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Maybe just to shed that contract? If I were them, I would retool on the fly. They aren't a team that could make some serious noise in the playoffs and they have some good young pieces coming up. Might as well keep adding to a young group.

That's what I would have done back when our young core first made the playoffs against Washington and Boston. We could've kept stockpiling prospects and had a much deeper squad than holding on to pending UFAs and trading for rentals like Plekanec and Boyle.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I compare him to Phaneuf and his situation in Calgary. Sounds like they want to retool and his performance hasn't been good from what I've read and seen. He has been on the block for awhile.

Last edited:

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
lol Lafferty has been complete ass for most of the year masked by a stretch of goals and points. His (horrible) metrics have caught up with his raw stats. 5 points in his last 23.

Lafferty is a case where the eye test, advanced stats and raw stats have finally aligned into one replaceable depth player.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It was beyond convenient to blame Reaves for Kampf’s ineffective play, but noteworthy he didn’t improve when he was benched and the fourth line actually looks better since he was out. Also somehow the PK is surviving. I unload his contract and put Holmberg in the 4 hole, I’m hard pressed to see the downside? It’s also a great way to deal with the cap crunch next year and not really harm the team.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I don't think we even have anyone that would be elite in terms of speed.

Lafferty maybe would have made sense with Kampf.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I compare him to Phaneuf and his situation in Calgary. Sounds like they want to retool and his performance hasn't been good from what I've read and seen. He has been on the block for awhile.

There were rumours, but now they've gone 7-3 in the last ten, and are in the playoff picture... so, it doesn't sound like they'll be retooling.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There were rumours, but now they've gone 7-3 in the last ten, and are in the playoff picture... so, it doesn't sound like they'll be retooling.

A lot of teams are still in the mix. The next 3-4 weeks could change a lot the trade deadline landscape.

Armstrong is a pretty smart GM and I think he'd still do it if the deal made sense. Probably is more of an off-season thing if they are still in the playoff mix by the deadline.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I don't think we even have anyone that would be elite in terms of speed.

Lafferty maybe would have made sense with Kampf.

Gregor is probably fastest on the team but he's north-south only and skates with his head down. I'd love to see more speed, but I'd also love to see us get heavier and play more of the cycle down low rather than constantly throwing it into the slot.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Gregor is probably fastest on the team but he's north-south only and skates with his head down. I'd love to see more speed, but I'd also love to see us get heavier and play more of the cycle down low rather than constantly throwing it into the slot.

Yea....it's not a well rounded group at all.

Reactions: dubplatepressure
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad