Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Gregor is probably fastest on the team but he's north-south only and skates with his head down. I'd love to see more speed, but I'd also love to see us get heavier and play more of the cycle down low rather than constantly throwing it into the slot.

All we need to do to fix this team, is get faster, bigger, stronger, grittier, more secondary scoring, better defensively, and better goaltending. Easy Peasy.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
All we need to do to fix this team, is get faster, bigger, stronger, grittier, more secondary scoring, better defensively, and better goaltending. Easy Peasy.
Honestly, this is the worst spot to be in as a fan. The team is just good enough to get in the playoffs, but too mid to actually have any hope of going deep. They'll be an easy out and won't have a high pick to look forward to either, and are too capped out to make significant changes. My interest in this team and sport is starting to wane heavily and I find myself enjoying NFL and NBA more these days, though all the Toronto teams kinda suck right now.

Btw, you forgot a better coach on your list too lol.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Honestly, this is the worst spot to be in as a fan. The team is just good enough to get in the playoffs, but too mid to actually have any hope of going deep. They'll be an easy out and won't have a high pick to look forward to either, and are too capped out to make significant changes. My interest in this team and sport is starting to wane heavily and I find myself enjoying NFL and NBA more these days, though all the Toronto teams kinda suck right now.

Btw, you forgot a better coach on your list too lol.

I agree with you on the NHL/NBA/NFL point.

We're told the cap system is so awesome because of parity and that this superior skills hockey is so much better but I find myself losing quite a bit of interest every year.

Whatever you think about that Rielly play the other night, one thing it did do was create tons of buzz. I feel like with the increase in skill there's also been a downgrade in intensity, animosity and overall physicality and those elements have always brought a ton of excitement to the game.

Reactions: 1specter

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
..and new GM etc...
And ownership that wants to win a cup more than renewed season tickets and jersey sales….

We're told the cap system is so awesome because of parity and that this superior skills hockey is so much better but I find myself losing quite a bit of interest every year.

Whatever you think about that Rielly play the other night, one thing it did do was create tons of buzz. I feel like with the increase in skill there's also been a downgrade in intensity, animosity and overall physicality and those elements have always brought a ton of excitement to the game.
Lots of skill, lacking heart and killer instinct….

Reactions: weems and Al14

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

It went from guys being willing to maim each other to win a random Tuesday game in February to all the players being buddies that hang out and act like coworkers that just happen to work at different regional branches. They’re NHLPA members before they’re Maple Leafs or Red Wings.

Reactions: weems

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
My only response to that is kampf was more part of the team then laff he was a thrown in depth piece not saying kampf was the core but he was already here for 2 seasons
True and Kampf also cost a million more than Lafferty. You can say he did his job but there is no added value from his game.
Lafferty plays a rougher and in your face style and also a faster skater. He should had been kept instead of Kampf.

lol Lafferty has been complete ass for most of the year masked by a stretch of goals and points. His (horrible) metrics have caught up with his raw stats. 5 points in his last 23.

Lafferty is a case where the eye test, advanced stats and raw stats have finally aligned into one replaceable depth player.
Still better Kampf this season.

Reactions: Al14

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Where he'll be put in charge of DoPs, and hold a grudge against us for a decade.
It's NO WORSE than what Parros is doing right now.

Actually, if Shanahan were to hold a grudge against our Leafs for a deacde, it would more than PROVE how CORRUPT he and the NHL truly are !!!

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Would much rather Hanifin to Tanev.
I doubt he’s available but they should take a big swing at Parayko.
Connor Murphy fits the bill for a big RD who has term.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Plus he's already on LTIR, so he fits here like a glove.

Seriously though, out with a Groin Injury, been on LTIR since January 16th. I'm not sure when he'll be back, but we aren't really one D man away from competing... sure, if there is a great long-term deal out there, that doesn't cost too much...

I'd inquire about Larsson and Gudas too.

Then look at Hanifin or Forsling at UFA's in the summer, if they make it to UFA.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
If we were to spend assets on a man. I'd prefer Hanifin since we can get Tanev for free in the summer

Reactions: Al14

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If we were to spend assets on a man. I'd prefer Hanifin since we can get Tanev for free in the summer
With his injury history, Tanev is a great candidate for our LTIR. It would be best to acquire him for nothing more than another cap hit. IMHO, spending assets to acquire him would be foolish, and probably, a bad bet.

Reactions: rumman

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
True and Kampf also cost a million more than Lafferty. You can say he did his job but there is no added value from his game.
Lafferty plays a rougher and in your face style and also a faster skater. He should had been kept instead of Kampf.

Still better Kampf this season.
Lafferty shows up a few games then vanishes for a dozen ...he had a very hot start to the season
in his first 10 3G 2A
next 10 1G 3A
then had a hot 8 games with 4G and 2A
in his last 23 games he has 2 goals and 3 assists

Gregor has even less production, but, its not like Laferty is any more than a decent 4th liner

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Lafferty shows up a few games then vanishes for a dozen ...he had a very hot start to the season
in his first 10 3G 2A
next 10 1G 3A

Gregor has even less production, but, its not like Laferty is any more than a decent 4th liner
Lafferty has been a healthy scratch in Vancouver for their past couple games, hes clearly not the difference maker people pretended as soon as we traded him. :laugh:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd be starting extensions talk with a few of the pending UFAs to gauge where they are at. I don't really care if they walk at the end of the season, but I think if say Brodie is willing to sign a cheaper extension, it might be worth it. Same for Domi to a certain degree. I don't think Bertuzzi will care to do that but perhaps stability would be something he wants? I dunno.

The other thing is that I hope this team pulls the pin on the grenade if they lose ground in the next couple weeks. Punt some of them, recoup assets, go with youth and hope that creates enough of a ripple. I don't think the top players will make them bad enough to do this but you never know.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I'd be starting extensions talk with a few of the pending UFAs to gauge where they are at. I don't really care if they walk at the end of the season, but I think if say Brodie is willing to sign a cheaper extension, it might be worth it. Same for Domi to a certain degree. I don't think Bertuzzi will care to do that but perhaps stability would be something he wants? I dunno.

The other thing is that I hope this team pulls the pin on the grenade if they lose ground in the next couple weeks. Punt some of them, recoup assets, go with youth and hope that creates enough of a ripple. I don't think the top players will make them bad enough to do this but you never know.
Agreed. Baring a seismic trade and change in the gameplay of our boys...

This has been one of the weaker teams we have iced in a while. Someone said it best above...not too good, not too bad, just in the middle. The ONLY positive of being in the playoff spot is that everyone aside from one or two teams, feels vulnerable. The parity and inconsistency are intriguing. Still doesn't fill me with confidence though.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

All minor issues, hence why we are contenders!

Not to mention, I hate to break it to you, but we could also use a better coach :DD

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
in his first 10 3G 2A
next 10 1G 3A

Lafferty has been a healthy scratch in Vancouver for their past couple games, hes clearly not the difference maker people pretended as soon as we traded him. :laugh:
Lafferty production was mainly bc he played with Petey for a stretch and he scored and produced.

He is a 4th liner that plays with an edge and doesn't mind using his body.
Kampf is Kampf.
To me they are about the same but Lafferty is someone who crashes the net more and plays with more sandpaper. also he is ONE million cheaper.
With all things considered, choosing Kampf over Lafferty was a mistake.

Reactions: aingefan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad