Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
We should wait to see how those players pan out before hailing their selections.

Yep but the early returns are very positive.

We should have an excellent scouting staff considering the money and resources this franchise has.

Reactions: stickty111

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Not interested unless it is for something like Timmins.

Why should Leafs take 100% of the risk?

Flames can get their 2nd. round picks elsewhere and I'll be just as happy.
Risk with Tanev getting injured or not re-upping? Timmins has zero value really. I think Tanev is the ideal D man, could log 23 minutes a night, tough minutes, drop other guys down. It’s about fit for me, he checks the boxes and could still be a good player for 3 years.

Reactions: jaric1862

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

We should have an excellent scouting staff considering the money and resources this franchise has.

Knies looks like a legit NHL player for sure. I’d bet money he becomes a top-6 player, but he isn’t one yet.

Robertson has yet to prove he can stick in the NHL.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Knies looks like a legit NHL player for sure. I’d bet money he becomes a top-6 player, but he isn’t one yet.

Roberstson will stick even if its at worst on a basement team getting lots of minutes putting up some goals. He might have some weaknesses to his game but there are teams that are in dire need of guys who can score and will put up with some bad stuff.

Knies will be a very good pro.

Cowan is looking like a outright unreal pick and would go higher and possibly much higher in a redraft.

Minten has less upside than Cowan but has the skillset to be a all around contributor.

I agree with what you're saying, in that we need to give it more time to see how good some of these picks turn out but I think it's also alright to say that as of today it looks like we got extremely good value out of where we were picking.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Personally I don't understand the "they need to make the NHL before we can say they were good picks" statements. Thats obvious however wouldn't we rather our picks show progress before that happens. Before they make the ultimate leap, you want your picks progressing and not the other way around.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
The thing with Tanev is I don't think a lot of the teams that want him could fit him in, even with 50% retention.

It's weird to say but our advantage this deadline amongst buyers is cap space.

Teams like Dallas, Florida & Tampa would need to move some money around

Reactions: DarkKnight

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Risk with Tanev getting injured or not re-upping? Timmins has zero value really. I think Tanev is the ideal D man, could log 23 minutes a night, tough minutes, drop other guys down. It’s about fit for me, he checks the boxes and could still be a good player for 3 years.
I think there is no doubt that Treliving will acquire him.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Roberstson will stick even if its at worst on a basement team getting lots of minutes putting up some goals. He might have some weaknesses to his game but there are teams that are in dire need of guys who can score and will put up with some bad stuff.

Knies will be a very good pro.

Cowan is looking like a outright unreal pick and would go higher and possibly much higher in a redraft.

Minten has less upside than Cowan but has the skillset to be a all around contributor.

I agree with what you're saying, in that we need to give it more time to see how good some of these picks turn out but I think it's also alright to say that as of today it looks like we got extremely good value out of where we were picking.

I just keep remembering the Leafs having 4 defenseman on Canada’s WJC team one year, and none of them really worked out as expected- Carlo Colaiacovo, Ian White, Jay Harrison, and Brendan Bell. Half of those guys played as “under-aged” kids too.

Reactions: LeafEgo and weems

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You just know wherever Tavev lands he’ll get injured a couple of games into his tenure, book it……..

Be nice to give them time to prove what they are instead of watching then excel on other teams like so many before them……..

Reactions: arso40

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I just keep remembering the Leafs having 4 defenseman on Canada’s WJC team one year, and none of them really worked out as expected- Carlo Colaiacovo, Ian White, Jay Harrison, and Brendan Bell. Half of those guys played as “under-aged” kids too.
Watched Jay Harrison throughout his junior career, he was a monster, but the NHL is a different beast and some can’t make the jump…….

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One of those transactions is not like the other 2.

Out

-1st, 2nd Anderson, Gogolev
-1st, Barrie, 4th
-1st, 4th
-2nd, 2nd 3rd
-1st, Levi
-1st, 2nd, 2nd, Moore, Vaakakainen

In

-McCabe, Lafferty, 5th, 5th
-Ekholm
-Foligno, 4th
-Giordano, Blackwell
-S. Reinhart
-H. Lindholm, Curran

Since 2021, they traded 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Anderson, Gogolev and all that's on the roster now is Jake McCabe. Add the ROR deal to that tab as well, it's just stomach churning bad how no medium term solution was even put in place.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
.. this doesn’t make sense

You’re criticizing Dubas for trading 2nd’s for the exact same reason you’re wanting to make a trade for Tanev

Trading a second for Tanev would only make sense if they got him signed to a deal. Kind of the Gio deal all over but younger. Not ideal in any case.

Reactions: uncleben

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Given the relationship between Tre and Tanev I gotta think if he's acquired that a resign is expected - Flames may be trying to extract a premium for it.

Reactions: Buds17

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd stay away from most high value assets, than Monahan trade was absurd.

That said, the front office can't exactly tread water while Matthews and Nylander have career years.

See if Bertuzzi can bring back a player via a 'hockey trace' who can actually deliver offense and see how good of a defender a 3rd + a prospect can buy.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If the recent trades are an indication of the cost of acquiring meaningful upgrades going into the playoffs, I think we need to stand pat or try to add cheap depth. This team is not on the cusp of a championship run and I would hate to lose significant assets for nothing yet again.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Out

-1st, 2nd Anderson, Gogolev
-1st, Barrie, 4th
-1st, 4th
-2nd, 2nd 3rd
-1st, Levi
-1st, 2nd, 2nd, Moore, Vaakakainen

In

-McCabe, Lafferty, 5th, 5th
-Ekholm
-Foligno, 4th
-Giordano, Blackwell
-S. Reinhart
-H. Lindholm, Curran

Since 2021, they traded 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Anderson, Gogolev and all that's on the roster now is Jake McCabe. Add the ROR deal to that tab as well, it's just stomach churning bad how no medium term solution was even put in place.
The ROR deal would make more sense as the 3rd deal in making the very valid point that we burnt a lot of assets on rentals.

But the McCabe deal doesnt, as it is the opposite - 3 years of a physical 4d at 2m and a bonus year on a cheap bottom 6er breaking out offensively is much different than the standard deadline rental, and while not as high impact it bares more resemblance to the deals you're arguing for than against.

As an aside, Schaeffer is disapointing this season but a prospect monthd out from being a 32nd overall pick is a high value piece missing from the comparison

Reactions: Duffman955

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Hayton would be another good center target.

I wonder if something around Robertson for Hayton would work, especially with McBain putting things together and earning more ice time.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Hayton would be another good center target.

I wonder if something around Robertson for Hayton would work, especially with McBain putting things together and earning more ice time.
Would love this, Hayton would be an elite 3C here, the kids IQ is off the charts

Reactions: TMLAM34

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Sometimes you look at how the last regime paid full retail and retail plus nibbling around the edges on random patchwork junk and it just gets your blood boiling.

You add up all the lost bounty on some of their Foligno, Giordano, McCabe and Lafferty misadventures and the quality of assets going out the door surpasses what Boston paid to get Hampus Lindholm or what Florida paid for Sam Reinhart.

Shanahan could have fired Dubas last June just reading out the transactions history.

I agree with you. Dubas was consistent, he over paid in trades and also over paid to retain our RFA's, IMO hindsight tells us he overvalued assets consistently. Maybe he will give us Letang and Crosby for Gio and Kampft :)

Last edited:
Reactions: All Mod Cons

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Sometimes you look at how the last regime paid full retail and retail plus nibbling around the edges on random patchwork junk and it just gets your blood boiling.

You add up all the lost bounty on some of their Foligno, Giordano, McCabe and Lafferty misadventures and the quality of assets going out the door surpasses what Boston paid to get Hampus Lindholm or what Florida paid for Sam Reinhart.

Shanahan could have fired Dubas last June just reading out the transactions history.
100%. This exactly.

For all the draft capital/prospects moved over the last 5 years, why couldn't we get legitimate help that would stick around for a few years. With all the stuff we traded away we could've got a 1st pair dman, 2nd pair dman, top 6 forward and 3rd line forward, amd probably more.

But we just went for quantity instead of quality.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Anyone else seeing the rumors of Tor and CBJ doing a deal heating up a bit. I'm assuming it's for a defender. CBJ also has a lot of cap space , could be a spot for a cap dump
  • Provorov has been rumored to be avail but a LD not likely a Leaf target
  • Bean, Werenski and Severson are LD for sake of argument Leafs are not looking for LD according to various reports, so eliminate them too.
  • Gudbranson RD - Big defensive defenseman. Think middle pairing with spot duty on top pairing. 19 - 20 min a night, 4 mil cap hit signed through 2025-26
  • Peeke RD - Big, physical stay-at-home defenseman. More a bottom of the line up defender, think bottom pairing. 14 to 15 min a night. 2.75 mil cap hit signed through 2025-26
Gudbranson and Peeke both are Tre type defenders.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Anyone else seeing the rumors of Tor and CBJ doing a deal heating up a bit. I'm assuming it's for a defender. CBJ also has a lot of cap space , could be a spot for a cap dump
  • Provorov has been rumored to be avail but a LD not likely a Leaf target
  • Bean, Werenski and Severson are LD for sake of argument Leafs are not looking for LD according to various reports, so eliminate them too.
  • Gudbranson RD - Big defensive defenseman. Think middle pairing with spot duty on top pairing. 19 - 20 min a night, 4 mil cap hit signed through 2025-26
  • Peeke RD - Big, physical stay-at-home defenseman. More a bottom of the line up defender, think bottom pairing. 14 to 15 min a night. 2.75 mil cap hit signed through 2025-26
Gudbranson and Peeke both are Tre type defenders.
I hope to God it is Peeke so we don't have to constantly talk about how much we want Peeke.

• Haha
Reactions: arso40 and Hellcat

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Would love this, Hayton would be an elite 3C here, the kids IQ is off the charts

Responsible two way center who is more a play maker than a shooter might a his best a 2nd liner, at worse a 3rd liner, not great on the dot though, Hayton is on IR and likely wont return till mid Feb, hand injury. Would be an interesting replacement for JT. Can you trade players on the IR?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
With the Leafs history you want to risk a 34 year old playing for the next 3 years?

Well, I do buy lottery tickets, so yeah I'm a dreamer.

Reactions: uncleben
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad