Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I'd be fine with dumping Samsonov, Bertuzzi, Domi and Brodie if they brought in top 30/60 picks, or great returns. That's the fan in me. Logically, they won't do it because it makes no sense.

I bring up the Panthers a lot -- they were terrible for a large portion of the season but stood pat at the deadline, squeaked in by 1 point and made a run. Maybe we lose in 4 in the first round, but there's also a chance we heat up and make a run. Sometimes things line up at the right time. Selling removes a lot of chances for us to go on a run.
Part of me still wants to see what Bertuzzi can do in the playoffs. That's what he was brought in for. so let's see if he puts up or continues to blow money from his next contract.

I'd be interested in cashing in on Domi. I'm not really a fan and I won't let his name blind me. I feel like had his name been Maxim Domidov the fan base would likely dump on him somewhat. I realize he isn't getting the minutes here to fully thrive, but I struggle to see him being given those minutes in the playoffs since he will likely bleed chances the other way. Whether a one-for-one swap to a team looking for offence and giving the Leafs more of a two-way contributor. Or simply selling him for a pick and trading that pick to a seller for a two-way player.

I know it's not the most popular opinion with Domi though.

Reactions: TMLAM34

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Part of me still wants to see what Bertuzzi can do in the playoffs. That's what he was brought in for. so let's see if he puts up or continues to blow money from his next contract.

I'd be interested in cashing in on Domi. I'm not really a fan and I won't let his name blind me. I feel like had his name been Maxim Domidov the fan base would likely dump on him somewhat. I realize he isn't getting the minutes here to fully thrive, but I struggle to see him being given those minutes in the playoffs since he will likely bleed chances the other way. Whether a one-for-one swap to a team looking for offence and giving the Leafs more of a two-way contributor. Or simply selling him for a pick and trading that pick to a seller for a two-way player.

I know it's not the most popular opinion with Domi though.

They should probably try Bert on PP1 if they want Boston Bertuzzi

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
This version of Tanev has a few more miles on his body too his style lends to him being on the IR frequently.

If Tre does do a trade or two, he has to do it with the mindset of not just this year but next year and beyond too... Dubas did a piss poor job of asset management, he was very near focused, what do I need for the next two months and I will worry about next year, next year. Some of those trades like Durzi, Verhege, Marchment , I'd like a do over. Trading Cowan or Minten for a one year patch job would be terribly short sighted...
Tanev has been relatively healthy since joining the flames. I think we’d all prefer a player with term attached to the trade like a Jake Muzzin, but that isn’t always going to be the case. If the ask for Tanev is reasonable, I’m all for it.

We’re not selling off assets for a quick retool, even if that may be the right approach.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
At first I thought this franchise had done a decent job alternating buying and standing pat years since 2019, but then I looked at that Giordano and Blackwell trade and it was way more expensive than I remembered. Two 2nds and a 4th isn’t cheap. This team has bought big in 2019, 2021, 2022, and 2023. Not to mention the lost picks rectifying past mistakes.

This team has bled a ton of futures over the past 5 seasons, and the Leafs have done little in the way of recouping these assets though they did well last year getting a 1st for Sandin and trading Engvall for a 3rd.

We already don’t have a 1st in the 2025 draft thanks to the McCabe trade, not that I’m begrudging that move, McCabe has been good and Lafferty was a decent gamble even if Treliving cut him for lack of cap space. Our 2024 1st should be untouchable for any and all rentals this season.

Unless the Leafs are getting a top four defenseman who’ll be here and in his prime for years beyond this one they shouldn’t do anything. The most they should do is trade a late pick for a decent bottom 6 player so that only one of Reaves, Gregor, or McMann is in the lineup at any given time.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
1st rounders going for rentals now. I have a feeling the leafs won’t be doing much, unless it’s a top 4 RHD like Tanev who resigns. Perhaps some small moves here and there.

Value of a first rounder is both inflated and watered down at the same time.

You can get as little as Sean Monahan, or as much as Elias Lindholm in the past 48 hours with a first rounder and a volume of warm bodies, B prospects and garbage. In other cases you can get a franchise repairing player like Hampus Lindholm or just roster guys on cheap contracts like a Jake McCabe for a first. Or you’re just using the first to move cap money etc. Or you’re packaging multiple picks to get a prime age, cheaper player like a Hagel.

Given the wide ranging application of a 1st round pick, if we were to move it I would want to expand the deal, throw in an overwhelming quality of odds and ends and try to land a big, big fish.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Habs played the Monahan situation perfectly. I am not sure how Monahan as a pending UFA is getting a 1st... seems wild to me with his health and average play. So now the Habs got 2 1st round picks for Monahan.
With the last surgery I don't think the health is much of a concern any more. The bad: he plays no contact hockey. The good: scoring at better than a 55 point pace on a club with one decent winger that he never gets to play with. He takes more face offs than any other Hab and is 55% except for D zone where he is 56% and he gets only 38% O zone starts. This year most of his numbers are better than Elias Lindholm with fewer minutes and on a weaker team. There is a chance he has another gear yet with the more talented Jets forwards but his A game has been gone for so long who knows if he can sustain even his current rate?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At first I thought this franchise had done a decent job alternating buying and standing pat years since 2019, but then I looked at that Giordano and Blackwell trade and it was way more expensive than I remembered. Two 2nds and a 4th isn’t cheap. This team has bought big in 2019, 2021, 2022, and 2023. Not to mention the lost picks rectifying past mistakes.

This team has bled a ton of futures over the past 5 seasons, and the Leafs have done little in the way of recouping these assets though they did well last year getting a 1st for Sandin and trading Engvall for a 3rd.

We already don’t have a 1st in the 2025 draft thanks to the McCabe trade, not that I’m begrudging that move, McCabe has been good and Lafferty was a decent gamble even if Treliving cut him for lack of cap space. Our 2024 1st should be untouchable for any and all rentals this season.

Unless the Leafs are getting a top four defenseman who’ll be here and in his prime for years beyond this one they shouldn’t do anything. The most they should do is trade a late pick for a decent bottom 6 player so that only one of Reaves, Gregor, or McMann is in the lineup at any given time.

Sometimes you look at how the last regime paid full retail and retail plus nibbling around the edges on random patchwork junk and it just gets your blood boiling.

You add up all the lost bounty on some of their Foligno, Giordano, McCabe and Lafferty misadventures and the quality of assets going out the door surpasses what Boston paid to get Hampus Lindholm or what Florida paid for Sam Reinhart.

Shanahan could have fired Dubas last June just reading out the transactions history.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You add up all the lost bounty on some of their Foligno, Giordano, McCabe and Lafferty misadventures and the quality of assets going out the door surpasses what Boston paid to get Hampus Lindholm or what Florida paid for Sam Reinhart.

Shanahan could have fired Dubas last June just reading out the transactions history.
One of those transactions is not like the other 2.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How about trying to turn a pending UFA into a young player out of favour on his current team but with plenty of team control into the future

Bertuzzi for Kaliyev

And before I get the he won't waive stuff he's losing millions on his next deal right now, if he gets PP time on the new team he's going to waive

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Tanev has been relatively healthy since joining the flames. I think we’d all prefer a player with term attached to the trade like a Jake Muzzin, but that isn’t always going to be the case. If the ask for Tanev is reasonable, I’m all for it.

We’re not selling off assets for a quick retool, even if that may be the right approach.

So why aren't the Flames extending Tanev?'

They only have 2 defenders under contract, and they're just trying to re-sign Hanifin?

Let's just take the one they think is worth re-signing.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If we’re trading our 1st to Calgary, Hanifin better be in the deal. Tanev won’t all of a sudden make us serious cup contenders.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
So why aren't the Flames extending Tanev?'

They only have 2 defenders under contract, and they're just trying to re-sign Hanifin?

Let's just take the one they think is worth re-signing.
Flames are heading in the wrong direction, Tanev is no value to them going forward. Hanifan is going to test free agency too.

I think Treliving will go for both this summer

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It’s kind of sad that Dubas left us with ZERO 2nd’s the next three years, we can’t even make the Tanev trade. I’d do that trade for a 2nd in a heartbeat, never a 1st. He’s the perfect fit for our D.

Maybe we can soften them on the pick if we instead include Abruzesse. I know there’s been a lot of speculation on him being of interest to Calgary.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Sometimes you look at how the last regime paid full retail and retail plus nibbling around the edges on random patchwork junk and it just gets your blood boiling.

So much lost draft capital and futures on those types of minimal impact moves.

A 5th for Hutchinson because Sparks didn't work out after the Leafs gambled on him
Moore and two 3rd rounders for Campbell because Hutchinson ended up imploding
A 4th for Noesen (1 game played with the Leafs)
A 3rd for Rittich for goalie insurance and he was no better than Hutchinson that season
A 5th for Hutton who disappeared before the '21 playoffs even started
A 2nd for Lyubushkin and for dumping Ritchie

A bunch of moves to bolster our depth because we failed to draft proper depth ourselves, in part because we keep trading away picks to supposedly improve our depth.

Reactions: arso40

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
So much lost draft capital and futures on those types of minimal impact moves.

A 5th for Hutchinson because Sparks didn't work out after the Leafs gambled on him
Moore and two 3rd rounders for Campbell because Hutchinson ended up imploding
A 4th for Noesen (1 game played with the Leafs)
A 3rd for Rittich for goalie insurance and he was no better than Hutchinson that season
A 5th for Hutton who disappeared before the '21 playoffs even started
A 2nd for Lyubushkin and for dumping Ritchie

A bunch of moves to bolster our depth because we failed to draft proper depth ourselves, in part because we keep trading away picks to supposedly improve our depth.

Hard to argue with that, though I don’t think I’d lump the Lyubushkin & Campbell ones with the others personally.

The one thing I would say however is it’s not entirely the fault of Dubas and co. The assets that should have been helping us during that time would have needed to have been drafted largely before he became GM and then developed.

So when you look down to the minors and your evaluation is that you don’t see things coming that can help, the only move you really have is to move futures for those solutions, because when you are win now, you can’t necessarily afford to sit around and wait for your 2019 2nd rounder to be a player in 3-5 years.

That said some of his deals were jumping the gun perhaps and some were overpayments

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Knies #57 overall
Robertson #53 overall
Cowan #28 overall
Minten #38 overall

Our scouting staff has found some really good players at the end of the first/second round.

Throw in guys like Grebyonkin, Hildeby, Chadwick, Niemela, Tverberg and we're coming away with many players who will be very useful pros.

The last few years I actually think its been one of our organizations strongest areas and I would be very careful trading away picks in that range unless its for a definite impact player.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Hard to argue with that, though I don’t think I’d lump the Lyubushkin & Campbell ones with the others personally.

The one thing I would say however is it’s not entirely the fault of Dubas and co. The assets that would have been helping us now would have had to have been drafted and developed largely before he became GM.

So when you look down to the minors and your evaluation is that you don’t see things coming that can help, the only move you really have is to move futures for those solutions, because when you are win now, you can’t necessarily afford to sit around and wait for your 2019 2nd rounder to be a player in 3-5 years.

That said some of his deals were jumping the gun perhaps and some were overpayments

Boosh was decent enough and Campbell became far more important for us than any of us realized he would be, and we cut bait at the perfect time with him.

Lou also should shoulder some blame as well for jumping the gun and trading 2nd round picks for rentals who wouldn't move the needle for us in Boyle and Plekanec.

Hopefully we hold off on any rental deals now. We're finally getting drafted depth help with some savvy picks and being patient and steadfast in the development of prospects.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It’s kind of sad that Dubas left us with ZERO 2nd’s the next three years, we can’t even make the Tanev trade. I’d do that trade for a 2nd in a heartbeat, never a 1st. He’s the perfect fit for our D.

.. this doesn’t make sense

You’re criticizing Dubas for trading 2nd’s for the exact same reason you’re wanting to make a trade for Tanev

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Knies #57 overall
Robertson #53 overall
Cowan #28 overall
Minten #38 overall

Our scouting staff has found some really good players at the end of the first/second round.

Throw in guys like Grebyonkin, Hildeby, Chadwick, Niemela, Tverberg and we're coming away with many players who will be very useful pros.

The last few years I actually think its been one of our organizations strongest areas and I would be very careful trading away picks in that range unless its for a definite impact player.

We should wait to see how those players pan out before hailing their selections.

Reactions: arso40 and Buds17

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Knies #57 overall
Robertson #53 overall
Cowan #28 overall
Minten #38 overall

Makes you think if it doesn't look like our year perhaps we should sell the pending UFA'S with value or at least trying to acquire mid to late round picks in the deals we do make

Reactions: weems

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
.. this doesn’t make sense

You’re criticizing Dubas for trading 2nd’s for the exact same reason you’re wanting to make a trade for Tanev
Boosh for a second was a bad move, ditto Lafferty. Your criticism is pretty simplistic, but I suppose you can say that. Dubas traded picks like candy, I’ll stand by my point. I’d do a 2nd for a Tanev.

Reactions: arso40

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Boosh for a second was a bad move, ditto Lafferty. Your criticism is pretty simplistic, but I suppose you can say that. Dubas traded picks like candy, I’ll stand by my point. I’d do a 2nd for a Tanev.

Not interested unless it is for something like Timmins.

Why should Leafs take 100% of the risk?

Flames can get their 2nd. round picks elsewhere and I'll be just as happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad