Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
This version of Brodie isn't on the same level as Tanev.

This version of Tanev has a few more miles on his body too his style lends to him being on the IR frequently.

If Tre does do a trade or two, he has to do it with the mindset of not just this year but next year and beyond too... Dubas did a piss poor job of asset management, he was very near focused, what do I need for the next two months and I will worry about next year, next year. Some of those trades like Durzi, Verhege, Marchment , I'd like a do over. Trading Cowan or Minten for a one year patch job would be terribly short sighted...

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
If Vancouver lets him go I am a little concerned why the Leafs would want him. This seems like them correcting a mistake because the whole world knew Tanev was getting moved this year as well.

The Flames board described him as having feast or famine inconsistency. Too expensive for 3rd pairing use and not reliable enough for top 4. He is getting 17:46 a night in Van providing no offense and he would not be playing in front Demko in Toronto. Whatever the cost to get he is $3.75M and that blows their budget for a battery mate for Rielly which he is not.

We have more cap space than we have assets to spend, so we're going to get more value by adding guys who may not be worth their cap hits.

The way this team is constructed, we can't turn them into a contender at the deadline, so I'd probably try to get a 1st out of Tyler Bertuzzi and add some cheap bite for the play-offs.

Reactions: arso40

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Count me in the group that has zero interest in paying a 1st for Tanev.

Dude is extremely injury prone and is one block shot away from hitting the IR

Only way I could see it is a drop back scenario.

Ie our first (23-32) for Tanev and a mid 2 (45ish)

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
We have more cap space than we have assets to spend, so we're going to get more value by adding guys who may not be worth their cap hits.

The way this team is constructed, we can't turn them into a contender at the deadline, so I'd probably try to get a 1st out of Tyler Bertuzzi and add some cheap bite for the play-offs.
How much cap space do we actually have? Cap Friendly says $34,999 which can't be right if there was earlier room for Klinger at $4.15.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How much cap space do we actually have? Cap Friendly says $34,999 which can't be right if there was earlier room for Klinger at $4.15.

His cap space was used on icing a 23 player roster. They also don't have McMann or Woll on LTIR right now, which doesn't open up cap space, only roster space.

If healthy and with a 23 player roster (assuming Holmberg, Jones and McMann/Robertson are demoted once healthy), they have about 1.7M of cap space. That is not a lot. They can open more if they waive Reaves, but that's not likely.

But now with Jarnkrok out for awhile, it's possible they get an extra 2.1M of LTIR cap space assuming he goes there. But they'd probably have to leave him there until the playoffs... not sure that's the plan. There are a few variables.

If they trade for a defenseman, it's almost guaranteed Timmins is gone for both roster and cap space. So if they LTIR Jarnkrok and use Timmins as trade bait, that's 4.9M of cap space they can use to acquire someone.

Last edited:

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Would definitely like to keep the 1st especially with our scouting staff finding potential gems like Cowan.

We definitely need defenders and Dumba would be a cheap buy low candidate with experience. I think we can definitely get him with a lower level pick or two.

If we’re going for Laughton or someone else with term, I wonder if we can get out of the Kampf contract?

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Monahan fetching a first makes me concerned

It’s a sellers market I guess

Let’s sell off some UFAs and dead weight, restock the cupboard a bit, and focus on next season.

It’s either that or overpay for more middling players who don’t move the needle enough (no thanks) OR stand pat and watch guys like Bertuzzi and Domi move on.

I know the selling option isn’t happening but it does sound appealing. I just don’t know how this group achieves any more than last year’s does and I really don’t want to see Treliving spending a first on Laughton or multiple picks/prospects on a 34 year old Tanev

Reactions: arso40 and TMLAM34

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
You feel the deadline is the time to fix a broken team?
Off season is probably a better time for that.
I think you can, but it's also an issue of chronology, The playoffs happen before the offseason, and to best assist this team in avoiding a similar fate to the past, they'll need to do it before the deadline.

Reactions: Sypher04

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Last year's deadline saw a lot of acquisitions and even some recouping (Sandin and Engvall for picks). I think it's rare and tough for a team to go all in 2 years in a row, especially when one of the years isn't looking too pretty. You always feel left out when you don't have a seat at the table while you see others there, but this might not be the table to join.

Make some tweaks with the plethora of 5ths (Leafs have 9 picks in 2024) and if you need to ship some garbage out, get some 2025 picks back (only 5).

I like what there is going with Knies, Robertson, Holmberg, Cowan, Minten and potentially even Grebyonkin and Tverberg. Same with Woll, Hildeby and Akhtyamov. Some focus on adding to that this year and next can go a long way. I'm not saying give up right now, but also don't be stupid and overspend.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Monahan fetching a first makes me concerned

It’s a sellers market I guess

Let’s sell off some UFAs and dead weight, restock the cupboard a bit, and focus on next season.

It’s either that or overpay for more middling players who don’t move the needle enough (no thanks) OR stand pat and watch guys like Bertuzzi and Domi move on.

I know the selling option isn’t happening but it does sound appealing. I just don’t know how this group achieves any more than last year’s does and I really don’t want to see Treliving spending a first on Laughton or multiple picks/prospects on a 34 year old Tanev

I'd be fine with dumping Samsonov, Bertuzzi, Domi and Brodie if they brought in top 30/60 picks, or great returns. That's the fan in me. Logically, they won't do it because it makes no sense.

I bring up the Panthers a lot -- they were terrible for a large portion of the season but stood pat at the deadline, squeaked in by 1 point and made a run. Maybe we lose in 4 in the first round, but there's also a chance we heat up and make a run. Sometimes things line up at the right time. Selling removes a lot of chances for us to go on a run.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I posted this in the Marlie/Prospect Thread but I should have probably posted it here....

Next Year... 8 of the Top 9 forwards:
Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Knies, Robertson, Jarnkrok, Grebyonkin

Holmberg, Kampf, Reaves also under contract.
And they still got Cowan, Minten, Steeves, and Tverbeg who could all compete in camp.

They really need to spend their cap space on D.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I'd be fine with dumping Bertuzzi, Domi and Brodie if they brought in top 30/60 picks, or great returns. That's the fan in me. Logically, they won't do it because it makes no sense.

I bring up the Panthers a lot -- they were terrible for a large portion of the season but stood pat at the deadline, squeaked in by 1 point and made a run. Maybe we lose in 4 in the first round, but there's also a chance we heat up and make a run. Sometimes things line up at the right time. Selling removes a lot of chances for us to go on a run.
Yeah I totally get it

The pessimist in me sees no reason why our current group goes on a run at all

That being said perhaps what this team needs is to just run with it as is and see what happens.

Most important thing for me is that Treliving doesn’t waste assets. I’m fine not selling and just seeing what happens. I’m not fine with spending picks that we hardly have and emptying what remains of our cupboard for players who won’t be significant difference makers.

Reactions: arso40 and SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah I totally get it

The pessimist in me sees no reason why our current group goes on a run at all

That being said perhaps what this team needs is to just run with it as is and see what happens.

Most important thing for me is that Treliving doesn’t waste assets. I’m fine not selling and just seeing what happens. I’m not fine with spending picks that we hardly have and emptying what remains of our cupboard for players who won’t be significant difference makers.

There's a way to trade picks by getting players that can make a difference long-term. We need more Muzzin and McCabe additions, less ROR and Folignos. We're in full *now* mode and that won't change for a long time. Prospects are important but they take a long-time to make an impact.

Once we're ready to sell and/or rebuild, they won't have problems finding picks to go through that process.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think you can, but it's also an issue of chronology, The playoffs happen before the offseason, and to best assist this team in avoiding a similar fate to the past, they'll need to do it before the deadline.
A tweak like I said.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Friedman keeps saying Trelving wants Tanev so I dont think us saying we dont want him is gonna do anything.

At this point It sounds like another team overpaying for Tanev is our only hope of us not getting tanev. Giving up a 1st for Tanev doesnt do anything for me
he also wanted Zadorov, but wouldnt pay a measly 3rd and 5th ...and he had the caps space, as Kling was just gone

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
obviously disagree if you wish, but I think the separation between the top teams this year and the rest through to the wildcards is as small as it’s been in a really long time.

There are some teams racking up wins like Florida, Boston, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Vancouver but then when you actually analyze their rosters I don’t see a wide divide between those teams and teams like us, Tampa, Rangers, Carolina among others. I could see the first round being frankly all over the place. One might argue those red hot teams are peaking too early.

Lock up a spot. Be smart with your cap and assets to make moves to address specific team needs both now and going forward.

he also wanted Zadorov, but wouldnt pay a measly 3rd and 5th ...and he had the caps space, as Kling was just gone

Klingberg wasn’t gone yet. We would have needed retention or more likely we wanted to wait just a tad longer knowing what was liking coming with Klingberg but Vancouver was able to make the deal earlier than we could.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
This team should be selling not buying. They won't, but they should.
I'd say 'trading' rather than 'selling' flip Brodie for a younger not established defender, or picks or try to grab a disgruntled D-man, like Jiricek or Broberg one that lost his spot like Peeke
Brodie still has a good reputation as a defender, and could have decent interest and we can also retain, as he is expiring to UP his value

obviously disagree if you wish, but I think the separation between the top teams this year and the rest through to the wildcards is as small as it’s been in a really long time.

There are some teams racking up wins like Florida, Boston, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Vancouver but then when you actually analyze their rosters I don’t see a wide divide between those teams and teams like us, Tampa, Rangers, Carolina among others. I could see the first round being frankly all over the place. One might argue those red hot teams are peaking too early.

Lock up a spot. Be smart with your cap and assets to make moves to address specific team needs both now and going forward.

Klingberg wasn’t gone yet. We would have needed retention or more likely we wanted to wait just a tad longer knowing what was liking coming with Klingberg but Vancouver was able to make the deal earlier than we could.
if wasnt 'official' yet but, if anyone thinks Tre didnt already know, they are lying, they just waited and did it later, it was well decided before then.

Reactions: arso40

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
There's a way to trade picks by getting players that can make a difference long-term. This is where Dubas failed completely. We're in full now mode and that won't change for a long time. Prospects are important but they take a long-time to make an impact.

Once we're ready to sell and/or rebuild, they won't have problems finding picks to go through that process.

Acquiring players with term is the right idea. The McCabe/Lafferty move provided the opportunity to get a couple of runs (retrospect doesn’t help asset management with regards to Lafferty, though)

But walking through our recent trade history just shows a consistent bleed in terms of picks invested in players that ultimately have driven this team an inconsequential distance further towards success

We’ve been in win now mode since 2017/18. Prospects that take a long time to develop could have had plenty of time to contribute to this core with a little patience. Collectively fans swoon over the potential of Knies and how quickly he was poised to make an impact, and how we’ve needed him to. Every first and second round pick that we move trying to sprint to the finish line chips away at cost controlled contributors. We’ve got some excellent years to come with Matthews/Nylander at least. I just want Treliving to make responsible decisions with the assets he has on hand. If that means he stands pat this season then I’m good.

Reactions: arso40 and SprDaVE

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
if wasnt 'official' yet but, if anyone thinks Tre didnt already know, they are lying, they just waited and did it later, it was well decided before then.

We don’t now that at all. You can’t just throw a guy on LTIR without medical due diligence. If they could have put him there sooner, I’m willing to bet they would have done so. Especially given they were in on Zadorov trade discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad