Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
No thanks to Tanev given the cost.

Laughton is intriguing as a #3C, especially if they can move Kampf.

Laughton + Walker would be good underrated additions. I would assume Timmins + a 1st would be the starting point but I wouldn't give up much more than that.

You can then probably re-sign Walker to a ~3M deal. Laughton is signed for another couple seasons at 3M.

Last edited:
Reactions: stickty111

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Im against using our 1st getting Tanev

Id much rather get somebody with multiple years of team control even if there a forward and/or it sets us up better team building next off-season

We threw the kitchen sink at last season, we're out of sinks for the foreseeable future
I’m okay with using the 1st as long as you retain the player for time afterwards. To me it doesn’t seem worth it to trade the 1st for him when he’s not the difference maker in cup or not..

rather trade a 5th for depth Dman and just try to sign Tanev in the summer if they want him.

horner

May 22, 2007
Laughton + Walker would be good underrated additions. I would assume Timmins + a 1st would be the starting point but I wouldn't give up much more than that.

You can then probably re-sign Walker to a ~3M deal.
As long as the + isn't Cowen Minten Grebyonkin and Tverberg

horner

May 22, 2007
Treliving will probably wait till TDL day unless the prices drop
I think his target will be a big tough shutdown dman
Seeler for 4th + McMann
Peeke for 4th + 7th
Zadorov for 4th + McMann

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Seeler for 4th + McMann
Peeke for 4th + 7th
Zadorov for 4th + McMann
Why not all three? Let‘s be honest, the Leafs aren’t going anywhere with Brodie, Gio, and Timmons in the line up…….

Reactions: notdoneyet

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I actually don't think it's a bad idea. Perfect age. I don't see it happening, however.

I don’t think it’ll happen either but the asset is so unique and it would be a game changer to all of a sudden be elite in a position that’s been a hope and a prayer since 2021.

The idea of the Leafs being an elite scoring team with a 70 goal scorer and a Vezina capable workhorse entering a playoff series. Just feels like you can change the franchise with 1 move.

Defense will still need work, but you’d be spending the offseason back filling.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

You can then probably re-sign Walker to a ~3M deal. Laughton is signed for another couple seasons at 3M.
Wouldn’t be too upset with that package. Ideally I’d rather keep our 1st and re-tool in the summer. Some solid free agents this summer.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Never wanted Monahan anyways and not paying a first for him. Id rather go the Laughton route after the bigger fish in Lindholm wasn't happening

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Sounds like Vancouver may be looking to move Zadorov to make room for Tanev. Perhaps he’s available at a clearance price.

Would something like Timmins and a 4th work?
If Vancouver lets him go I am a little concerned why the Leafs would want him. This seems like them correcting a mistake because the whole world knew Tanev was getting moved this year as well.

The Flames board described him as having feast or famine inconsistency. Too expensive for 3rd pairing use and not reliable enough for top 4. He is getting 17:46 a night in Van providing no offense and he would not be playing in front Demko in Toronto. Whatever the cost to get he is $3.75M and that blows their budget for a battery mate for Rielly which he is not.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A pending UFA being moved by a team not in the playoff chase is to be expected. That same pending UFA potentially being moved again, by the acquiring team that looks to be a top contender, may be a cause for concern.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Habs played the Monahan situation perfectly. I am not sure how Monahan as a pending UFA is getting a 1st... seems wild to me with his health and average play. So now the Habs got 2 1st round picks for Monahan.
It's actually hilarious that Treliving traded him away WITH a first to be a cap dump lmfao. And even though I love Naz, his numbers are just slightly better than Monahan this season. Montreal made out like bandits

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
I’m okay with using the 1st as long as you retain the player for time afterwards. To me it doesn’t seem worth it to trade the 1st for him when he’s not the difference maker in cup or not..

rather trade a 5th for depth Dman and just try to sign Tanev in the summer if they want him.
I have really liked Tanev, but at his age plus his injury history, I would stay away.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Thats crazy Monahan got a 1st.

Briere will def want a 1st for Lauhgton considering he's not a rental. Should we still have interest?

Reactions: uncleben

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Habs played the Monahan situation perfectly. I am not sure how Monahan as a pending UFA is getting a 1st... seems wild to me with his health and average play. So now the Habs got 2 1st round picks for Monahan.
I'll be curious to see what his next contract looks like and which team it comes from? Still just 29 years old and effective when he plays, but...

For now, his production is quite good relative to his AAV of just under 2M. Not too surprised that he was able to return a 1st+.

Last edited:

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Seeler for 4th + McMann
Peeke for 4th + 7th
Zadorov for 4th + McMann
I think I'm okay with Benoit as the #5 or #6 dman. I do not want Zadorov, we need at the very least a true top 4 dman, and hopefully a top 2 one as well. If this were to happen, I believe it won't take place until the summer.

How about 2x 3rds and a marginal prospect?

If we’re edging up into 1st round territory I’m definitely more inclined to put a package together for Saros… may as well get bang for the buck.
I liked Tanev, but I think he gets hurt too much, plus he's 34. We need at the very least a solid top 4 dman with term.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Briere will def want a 1st for Lauhgton considering he's not a rental. Should we still have interest?

Laughton himself, no. He's at least locked up to a fair deal for awhile and he plays an aggressive style that would bolster a lot of what we lack. But push to add someone like Walker with Laughton, then I think you're adding 2 very good mid players to elevate the team, and they can be kept moving forward.

Reactions: stickty111

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
1st rounders going for rentals now. I have a feeling the leafs won’t be doing much, unless it’s a top 4 RHD like Tanev who resigns. Perhaps some small moves here and there.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

No, he was good last season but he's been putrid this year, his offensive and defensive metrics are atrocious

I wouldn't take him for free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad