Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
It feels/sounds like they want to go for Tanev but are worried about the fans' reaction to the trade.

Good.

Not gonna call these guys Narcissists but men in positions of power tend to have a very strong internal confirmation machine that tells them all they do is perfect... Tre and Shanny strike me as I do it my way type guys .. I dont think they look externally for confirmation... I'm sure all they need is a mirror and willful ignorance to be happy. Fans opinions need not apply.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Do you think Montreal meant less to Price than Toronto means to Marner? Does Pitts mean less to Fluery than Toronto does to Marner?

Mitch , Mitch ..can I have your autograph is not "speaking with" Mitch
You'd be better off not posting anything if you're just going to post garbage.

Reactions: al secord

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Im against using our 1st getting Tanev

Id much rather get somebody with multiple years of team control even if there a forward and/or it sets us up better team building next off-season

We threw the kitchen sink at last season, we're out of sinks for the foreseeable future

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I read an article that wrote that his play has dropped off significantly because of injuries, not sure if true but he was a stud a few years ago, him and Rielly played lights out together in the World Cup thing a few years ago. Which Colton would we be getting?

He missed time with a back injury a few years ago. His role had changed recently before that injury, and that change impacted his numbers. Since coming back from injury, he has led the whole league in “hard” minutes per game.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Contender? Marner isn’t in that situation….
Cmon 18000 posts and you come up with that
That’s not a good look your portraying

Any time you make the playoffs you are a contender
Hockey is a game of luck and players playing above their heads. Sometimes the stars align

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
It feels/sounds like they want to go for Tanev but are worried about the fans' reaction to the trade.

Good.
I don't think they care about the fan's reaction. Why start now? My guess would be they have some feelers out for several players and are waiting for prices to come down. They won't bite at the current ask for Walker or Tanev or whoever and the ask won't change until it is unmet for a while. Once a few clubs start to fall out of the race those teams will stop muddying the buyer market and may become sellers themselves.

I like Tanev but he has a lot of hard miles on him and is a 1 goal guy potentially in the top pair. Walker is interesting but only topped 19:00 TOI for the first timer this season and has never had the D zones starts like Tanev. You are definitely paying a premium for only a slight bump in offense. I see him as the riskier get and if they are going to take risks don't spend big assets to do it.

Its a lottery. Maybe Tanev shines beside Rielly or this is just the beginning of Walker's breakout. Maybe the Parayko of a couple of years ago is waiting to bust out for a new club like Lindholm did for the Bs. Maybe Andrew Peeke.......uh no probably not :) but there are going to be a bunch of losers and a couple of winners after the TDL and they all look kind of the same right now.

Two pieces needed. and somebody or maybe a couple of somebodies that we like are going elsewhere to buy Shanny's next contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rare Jewel

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I have a feeling that the Leafs currently have the best offer on the table for Tanev but are also trying to get Hanifin as well but before they can make that trade, the Leafs are looking at moving out a player or 2 in a separate trade prior to the trade with Calgary.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I have a feeling that the Leafs currently have the best offer on the table for Tanev but are also trying to get Hanifin as well but before they can make that trade, the Leafs are looking at moving out a player or 2 in a separate trade prior to the trade with Calgary.

I feel doubtful of this personally but both Hanifin and Tanev would be an absolutely huge upgrade to our backend.

Reactions: arso40 and TMLAM34

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I read an article that wrote that his play has dropped off significantly because of injuries, not sure if true but he was a stud a few years ago, him and Rielly played lights out together in the World Cup thing a few years ago. Which Colton would we be getting?

It was absolutely true, his play dropped off significantly due to back injuries. The eye test suggests his play has recovered. The fancy stats say he’s declined, though it’s often hard to figure out whether that is down to the player or team.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
You'd be better off not posting anything if you're just going to post garbage.

... but I post garbage so well... if I stopped I'd have nothing to do but point out logical fallacies to posters who are, to their surprise, not the smartest person in the room ... :) How many autographs do you have ? I got four, Wendel & Dougie are my favorites...,

No doubt in my mind Tanev would be a seamless fit beside Rielly, worried about the cost though and I don’t have much interest in committing term to the player.

Why do we say 33 year old Brodie is washed up but 34 year old Tanev is the guy we need to give up assets for? TBH this team is doing jack with or without TDL trade deals, hold on to our assets and regroup next year with a new coach and a full offseason for our GM to prepare.

horner

May 22, 2007
We need to improve down the middle, there really isn’t many other options that could potentially be available.

Wennberg needs a finisher on his line, being a pure playmaker, so I think he would work really well in the middle of Knies and Nylander. Despite having good size (6’2), he can skate well and keep up with Knies and Nylander, something JT really can’t do anymore. On top of that, he brings a real solid 200ft game, this aspect of his game is pretty underrated IMO and neither JT or Domi provide this.

Another good thing with Wennberg is, if you don’t feel like he can center the second line, well that’s fine because he can slide down to the third line and be apart of a good shutdown line potentially with Jarnkrok. Wennberg gives us options in our lineup and he’s actually averaging a little more ice time than our current 11 million dollar second line center. He can also play on either special teams unit.

The best part of it all, he probably wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to acquire and would probably be easily re-signed at his current cap hit 4.5 million.
Is he vanilla does he get involved physically.

Joshua Dakota C/LW 6' 2 " 200lbs
is a UFA
50% FOW
Big tough skilled can fight
Already equaled his point totally from last yr
2.5 mil * 3 yrs
48 g 12g 11 a 23 pts +14

Teddy Blueger C 6' 1 " 190 lbs
50% FOW
Speed
PK
Some skill

Trade
Kampf

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Is he vanilla does he get involved physically.

Joshua Dakota is a UFA 50% FOW
Big tough skilled can fight
Already equaled his point totally from last yr
2.5 mil * 3 yrs
I
Not sure if he’d be interested in signing here. We drafted him and gave up on him. If roles were reversed I’d say thank you but f you. Dakota will have plenty of interest in free agency.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Why do we say 33 year old Brodie is washed up but 34 year old Tanev is the guy we need to give up assets for? TBH this team is doing jack with or without TDL trade deals, hold on to our assets and regroup next year with a new coach and a full offseason for our GM to prepare.

This version of Brodie isn't on the same level as Tanev.

Reactions: supermann_98

horner

May 22, 2007
Not sure if he’d be interested in signing here. We drafted him and gave up on him. If roles were reversed I’d say thank you but f you. Dakota will have plenty of interest in free agency.
He will have teams wanting him we should be ready to talk to him

We should never have given up on him for nothing
I think Dubas traded him
Mmmmmm a big Center/Winger we needed center stupid

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Cmon 18000 posts and you come up with that
That’s not a good look your portraying

Any time you make the playoffs you are a contender
Hockey is a game of luck and players playing above their heads. Sometimes the stars align

I suppose if you definition of a contender includes 16 teams every year, then of course the Leafs would be in that group.

If your definition only includes the handful of favourites, then they are not one.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Not gonna call these guys Narcissists but men in positions of power tend to have a very strong internal confirmation machine that tells them all they do is perfect... Tre and Shanny strike me as I do it my way type guys .. I dont think they look externally for confirmation... I'm sure all they need is a mirror and willful ignorance to be happy. Fans opinions need not apply.
We probably don't know what Tre is yet. Not making excuses for him because I legitimately don't know what are his moves and what moves are directed to him.

I think he was hired with about 6" of rope and before that worked for the Calgary ownership group who are notorious for meddling in team operations. I believe Tre left because they wouldn't let him remove Sutter and then eventually they were forced to anyway. That might be a group of narcissist's because I have definitely run into folks who think their model of business can be applied everywhere and that they "know how things work" after watching people for a couple years that actually do know. Shanny is a little different apple to me because he may well think he knows how things work having watched Lou and Kyle, but its more the professional currency he has spent keeping the original plan running in spite of results.

He got sold the Dubas pitch on a novel way to win and probably supported Kyle's gamble as something that might have worked but for the sudden flat cap. And to be fair we don't know what the team might have achieved with steady cap growth. It was never proven wrong right away, just unforeseeable circumstances torpedoed its early success.

And regardless of it being Dubas' epiphany, Shanny has been promoting the Big 4 juggernaut offense strategy to the board for the last 5 years and coming up with fresh reasons after every playoff loss why there shouldn't be a house cleaning. Stay the course, run it back, blah blah blah.

He is committed because he can't have told the board "the plan is still on track, look at our playoff series victory, trust me I am extending Dubas." but then turf Kyle for reasons not performance related and say " the plan was all wrong, break up the 3 musketeers and turf the coach just when he is becoming legendary." He is married to the earlier direction of the club by supporting it so faithfully. Not a narcissist, just a guy in over his head who is trying to make a flawed model succeed.

Reactions: Hellcat

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I suppose if you definition of a contender includes 16 teams every year, then of course the Leafs would be in that group.

If your definition only includes the handful of favourites, then they are not one.
Was anyone calling Florida a contender last year when the playoffs started? Was anyone not calling Boston a contender?

Kind of makes the word meaningless.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm starting to come around on the idea of going for Juuse Saros. Lock in your goalie position so you have strength at forward and goal, spending your 1st and a couple of prospects, and then backfill your defense come offseason. Saros' contract us up the same time as Tavares, so you could afford to re-sign him. That one move gives your team a brand new strength. Woll's a really nice young player with upside, but do we want a sure thing?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I'm starting to come around on the idea of going for Juuse Saros. Lock in your goalie position so you have strength at forward and goal, spending your 1st and a couple of prospects, and then backfill your defense come offseason. Saros' contract us up the same time as Tavares, so you could afford to re-sign him. That one move gives your team a brand new strength. Woll's a really nice young player with upside, but do we want a sure thing?
I would be willing to give up anything outside of Knies and Cowan in a deal for Saros from our young players and prospects. Not sure Nashville would have much interest in Woll given they have Askarov.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Sens fan. I posted this in our board and was wondering what leafs fans thought of it. Too steep?

Leafs get:
Jacob Chychryn
Josh Norris
Erik Brannstrom

Ott gets:
JT
1st 2024
1st 2026
Knies

EDIT: and yeah i know he has an NMC and trades like this rarely happen, etc.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BayStBullies

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He will have teams wanting him we should be ready to talk to him

We should never have given up on him for nothing
I think Dubasssss traded him
Mmmmmm a big Center/Winger we needed center stupid
Another center I’ve mentioned I’d target since Columbus is a disaster is Sillinger. Young and can develop into that 2nd line center role once JT’s contract expires. Solid 200ft game as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad