Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Sens fan. I posted this in our board and was wondering what leafs fans thought of it. Too steep?

Leafs get:
Jacob Chychryn
Josh Norris
Erik Brannstrom

Ott gets:
JT
1st 2024
1st 2026
Knies

EDIT: and yeah i know he has an NMC and trades like this rarely happen, etc.
It's just not a good fit. Both teams are looking for an RD.

Reactions: arso40

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sens fan. I posted this in our board and was wondering what leafs fans thought of it. Too steep?

Leafs get:
Jacob Chychryn
Josh Norris
Erik Brannstrom

Ott gets:
JT
1st 2024
1st 2026
Knies

EDIT: and yeah i know he has an NMC and trades like this rarely happen, etc.

The trade is a bit too much of a split personality deal.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I have a feeling that the Leafs currently have the best offer on the table for Tanev but are also trying to get Hanifin as well but before they can make that trade, the Leafs are looking at moving out a player or 2 in a separate trade prior to the trade with Calgary.
TSN repórter just said flames want 2nd and prospect?
1st for tanev too high and we don’t have 2nds but if u include a markstrom or hanifin we can add the 1st in a trade and I’d be ok

weems

Jul 3, 2008
After seeing what our scouting staff did with this years first rounder, there's no way I'd be dealing it unless it's in a package for a true impact player, not someone like Tanev who is old and has been extremely injury prone in his career.

Prudent thing might be to make a few small adds, hope for the best this season and then regroup this offseason with some actual money to spend and the possibility of a new coach.

We need to be smart with our assets moving forward because we're going to need cheap talented young players to fill our roster.

Last edited:

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I'm starting to come around on the idea of going for Juuse Saros. Lock in your goalie position so you have strength at forward and goal, spending your 1st and a couple of prospects, and then backfill your defense come offseason. Saros' contract us up the same time as Tavares, so you could afford to re-sign him. That one move gives your team a brand new strength. Woll's a really nice young player with upside, but do we want a sure thing?
I'd rather not spend assets on trading for a goalie. Saros is good, but is he really the one that could take the Leafs far? Who knows when goalies are often unpredicatable. I'd prefer to just go with what we have in net and then next season go with Woll, Hildeby and Akhtiamov who's been looking really good this season. If the Leafs trade for a guy like Saros then when are all these young promising goalies we have going to get the chance to play? I'd rather give our guys the chance to grab the top job and see if one or more of them can't do it before thinking about going out to get help.

If Leafs are going to make trades then just concentrate on defense. Find one or two Dmen that can play 20 mins a night who can play consistent good defense and make relatively few mistakes and I'll be happy. It doesn't matter to me as much as to whether they can put up points as long as they can clear the front of the net, get pucks out of our own zone and can tie up opposing players so they don't get too many good scoring chances.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd rather not spend assets on trading for a goalie. Saros is good, but is he really the one that could take the Leafs far? Who knows when goalies are often unpredicatable. I'd prefer to just go with what we have in net and then next season go with Woll, Hildeby and Akhtiamov who's been looking really good this season. If the Leafs trade for a guy like Saros then when are all these young promising goalies we have going to get the chance to play? I'd rather give our guys the chance to grab the top job and see if one or more of them can't do it before thinking about going out to get help.

If Leafs are going to make trades then just concentrate on defense. Find one or two Dmen that can play 20 mins a night who can play consistent good defense and make relatively few mistakes and I'll be happy. It doesn't matter to me as much as to whether they can put up points as long as they can clear the front of the net, get pucks out of our own zone and can tie up opposing players so they don't get too many good scoring chances.

Yeah, I think we've all been conditioned to shy away from investing in a goalie from the Dubas days, but the best eras in Leafs modern history have been when we had a Potvin, Joseph and Belfour. Lock in a 28 year old Saros, for this year and next at the cap hit of a Tyler Bertuzzi? I'm coming around on that being a game changer.

We can still develop our promising goalies to come up over the next few years.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Laughton would be nice but probably not for the price Briere will want.

Is Laughton even an upgrade over Kampf? Sure, it looks like he scores more, but his role is different. He gets better linemates, more offensive opportunities, less defensive responsibilities, and even second PP unit ice time. Put him in Kampf’s role, I’m not sure he scores as much, let alone more.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I would make one add and it’s a right shot defensemen from clb vgk or kraken that’s it someone with term i would try to move Brodie we don’t want him bacc next year if tanev gets a second n prospect what does Brodie get? Recoup some pks he’s too soft food Sticc but way too soft we need less of those guys give timmins some runway too atleast before the playoffs start

horner

May 22, 2007
After seeing what our scouting staff did with this years first rounder, there's no way I'd be dealing it unless it's in a package for a true impact player, not someone like Tanev who is old and has been extremely injury prone in his career.

Prudent thing might be to make a few small adds, hope for the best this season and then regroup this offseason with some actual money to spend and the possibility of a new coach.

We need to be smart with our assets moving forward because we're going to need cheap talented young players to fill our roster.
It could be 17 to 20 th pick
It give us lots of options
Trade down to the 28th and get a late 2nd rd pk
The big thing is we don't have a 1st or 2nd next yr

Trade up
As I have said before a 1st should never be Trade at the deadline .

I want to see our core finally bring it in the playoffs.

Reactions: weems and ToneDog

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I would make one add and it’s a right shot defensemen from clb vgk or kraken that’s it someone with term i would try to move Brodie we don’t want him bacc next year if tanev gets a second n prospect what does Brodie get? Recoup some pks he’s too soft food Sticc but way too soft we need less of those guys give timmins some runway too atleast before the playoffs start

Sounds like Vancouver may be looking to move Zadorov to make room for Tanev. Perhaps he’s available at a clearance price.

Would something like Timmins and a 4th work?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Sounds like Vancouver may be looking to move Zadorov to make room for Tanev. Perhaps he’s available at a clearance price.

Would something like Timmins and a 4th work?
I’d do that in a New York minute, good chance he would be open to resigning here too……..

Reactions: ToneDog

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, I think we've all been conditioned to shy away from investing in a goalie from the Dubas days, but the best eras in Leafs modern history have been when we had a Potvin, Joseph and Belfour. Lock in a 28 year old Saros, for this year and next at the cap hit of a Tyler Bertuzzi? I'm coming around on that being a game changer.

We can still develop our promising goalies to come up over the next few years.
I actually don't think it's a bad idea. Perfect age. I don't see it happening, however.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Chychrun has one of if not the best point shot in the league. Can’t compare him to league averages and those that whip muffins in from the point hoping for a tip.

I’ve seen Chychrun play quite a bit and he’s not great defensively but certainly not the train wreck you’ve made him out to be. He can be a game changer for a team like a Shea Theodore.
No he can’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad