Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Which of those were in Marners situation?
Hometown/favourite team, contender, playing with your buddies that you were drafted with.

Why do you have to limit it such an impossible finite situation. We can be more more minutiae no player who was drafted 4th over all, played for the London Knights, plays RW, won the Mem Cup. If playing with his hometown team was such a draw why did it take an overpay to sign him to his last contract? Fact is you dont know what motivates him, you're projecting your values on a man you have never spoke with.

There is a first time for everything, that is why they call it a first time.

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why do you have to limit it such an impossible finite situation. We can be more more minutiae no player who player who was drafted 4th over all, played for the London Knights, plays RW, won the Mem Cup. If playing with his hometown team was such a draw why did it take an overpay to sign him to his last contract? Fact is you dont know what motivates him, you're projecting your values on a man you have never spoke with.

There is a first time for everything, that is why they call it a first time.
It's not an impossible situation, it's just the situation.
I don't know what he's thinking but you can make an educated guess.
I've spoken to him many times but not for a few years now.

If he actually thinks he plays for a contender, that's definitely true.
They all would think that, not just him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah I'd tend to agree but I would think that would be the price.
If they could figure out a way to acquire another pick it may not be a bad idea.

Let's say a team steps up and offers you a 1st for Bertuzzi

You have 2 1sts, you can flip a 1st and maybe a 5th for Tanev...

Do you feel the team is any better equipped to win a cup than they were before? For me, personally, no.

Tanev makes sense if he's free in the summer on a 1 year deal. Friedman's (paraphrasing) speaking that the sense is the team isn't in a position to win a Cup this year and wouldn't use assets on a rental really makes sense at this time. The reality is you won't be in it every single year.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I echo this sentiment.

I doubt there are any clubs offering a 1st for Tanev unless an injury blows a hole in some ones lineup. We'll see what he actually moves for. But he would help them quite a bit I think so if they add the guy I am happy with it. I would be happier if they spent more and aimed higher but don't know who that buys them or if Tre is of the same opinion. Apparently this wealthy core is the engine that will drive them to a Cup so you have to think they won't stop trying to add the right crack filler around their stars to make it happen.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Also, this is why Treliving should've changed more last summer; if his first big trade is a dud, he likely won't recover.

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Why Wennberg
46% FOW
He has a -21 +/- over his career
12 g 40 pts
Doesn't screem 2nd lom
We need to improve down the middle, there really isn’t many other options that could potentially be available.

Wennberg needs a finisher on his line, being a pure playmaker, so I think he would work really well in the middle of Knies and Nylander. Despite having good size (6’2), he can skate well and keep up with Knies and Nylander, something JT really can’t do anymore. On top of that, he brings a real solid 200ft game, this aspect of his game is pretty underrated IMO and neither JT or Domi provide this.

Another good thing with Wennberg is, if you don’t feel like he can center the second line, well that’s fine because he can slide down to the third line and be apart of a good shutdown line potentially with Jarnkrok. Wennberg gives us options in our lineup and he’s actually averaging a little more ice time than our current 11 million dollar second line center. He can also play on either special teams unit.

The best part of it all, he probably wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to acquire and would probably be easily re-signed at his current cap hit 4.5 million.

Reactions: Kiwi

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It feels/sounds like they want to go for Tanev but are worried about the fans' reaction to the trade.

Good.
pass on Tanev, you know he'd get injured his first game. I really hope the GM isn't making player decisions based on what the fan's opinions are, that;s worse case scenario imo.........

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He refused an 8x8 from Calgary even if we match that how could we afford him. You want to pay all that for a rental. No way
Tired of throwing away players draft picks for guys leaving the next year
Any trades we make should come with someone with time on their contract or make sure we can get an extension
I was more trying to see what a similar package from Toronto would be.

Toronto however, isn't in the same situation as the Canucks.
Canucks look like they might be amongst a few favorites in the west.
Leafs are a middle of the pack team.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Lots of discussion about Parayko over the last few pages.

The long contract can be scary but the last few years have a limited NTC. With him playing at 1st pairing level right now, I think that could be a move that helps us quite a bit and wouldn't necessarily break the bank.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I echo this sentiment.

Looking at Wiki.

Canucks only team to trade their 1st. for 2024?

Didn't make sense to me:

1706822093732.png

Last edited:
Reactions: KMNRB

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It depends on the reaction, I suppose; I think if it is negative in response to, say, a Tanev for a 1st+ trade, then both Shanny's and Trevliving's rep will be hit.
I don't think they will care either way nor should they.

Reactions: Fogelhund

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
A very good target, especially if Jarnkrok is out until the playoffs. It opens up cap space (if LTIR) and a roster spot.

The problem is that I think they'll want a first, especially if they retain, and I don't think the Leafs want to do that. He's having a pretty good year.
Which is why I’m looking for an internal solution for anything we can fix and then minimum assets out for the upgrades we need which is right shot partner for rielly and right shots defensive forward

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
It's not an impossible situation, it's just the situation.
I don't know what he's thinking but you can make an educated guess.
I've spoken to him many times but not for a few years now.

They all would think that, not just him.

Do you think Montreal meant less to Price than Toronto means to Marner? Does Pitts mean less to Fluery than Toronto does to Marner?

Mitch , Mitch ..can I have your autograph is not "speaking with" Mitch

• Haha
Reactions: Arzak and rumman

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Lots of discussion about Parayko over the last few pages.

The long contract can be scary but the last few years have a limited NTC. With him playing at 1st pairing level right now, I think that could be a move that helps us quite a bit and wouldn't necessarily break the bank.

I read an article that wrote that his play has dropped off significantly because of injuries, not sure if true but he was a stud a few years ago, him and Rielly played lights out together in the World Cup thing a few years ago. Which Colton would we be getting?

Reactions: rumman

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Looking at Wiki.

Canucks only team to trade their 1st. for 2024?

Didn't make sense to me:

View attachment 813699
Vancouver is the only team to trade their 2024 1st without a condition

If you scroll down you'll see we have any picks with unresolved conditions listed at the bottom
There are currently 8 other trades with a potential 2024 1st being moved

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad