Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Responsible two way center who is more a play maker than a shooter might be top end a 2nd liner bottom end a 3rd liner, not great on the dot though, Hayton is on IR and likely wont return till mid Feb, hand injury. Would be an interesting replacement for JT. Can you trade players on the IR?
I think he's back after the break or soon after.

Reactions: TMLAM34 and Hellcat

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Given the relationship between Tre and Tanev I gotta think if he's acquired that a resign is expected - Flames may be trying to extract a premium for it.

Sigh ...
Resign appears in the English language in the late fourteenth century with the meaning give up, surrender, abandon, submit, relinquish, coming from the Latin resignare, which means to check off, annul, cancel, give back, give up. Re-sign is transitive verb which means to sign again.

In quoting that, if it is anywhere close to the asking price, why bother.

We should resign ourselves to always be re-signing past their best before date players.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The ROR deal would make more sense as the 3rd deal in making the very valid point that we burnt a lot of assets on rentals.

But the McCabe deal doesnt, as it is the opposite - 3 years of a physical 4d at 2m and a bonus year on a cheap bottom 6er breaking out offensively is much different than the standard deadline rental, and while not as high impact it bares more resemblance to the deals you're arguing for than against.

As an aside, Schaeffer is disapointing this season but a prospect monthd out from being a 32nd overall pick is a high value piece missing from the comparison

I actually liked the ROR deal so if we had kept him it would have been a win.

McCabe isn’t bad, don’t get me wrong. But we did get an inferior piece relative to Lindholm and Ekholm for a more versatile cap piece with retention. So it wasn’t the pure roster upgrade for that 1st round price tag and just feels like part of the bad galaxy brain thinking turning itself into a pretzel.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Barrett Hayton
To Arizona: Nick Robertson + Mikko Kokkonen + NYI 3rd Rounder

To Toronto: Sean Walker
To Rangers: Max Domi
To Philadelphia: NYR 2nd Rounder

Jarnkrok - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Hayton - Nylander
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Holmberg
Gregor - Kampf - McMann

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Walker
Benoit - Liljegren

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Anyone else seeing the rumors of Tor and CBJ doing a deal heating up a bit. I'm assuming it's for a defender. CBJ also has a lot of cap space , could be a spot for a cap dump
  • Provorov has been rumored to be avail but a LD not likely a Leaf target
  • Bean, Werenski and Severson are LD for sake of argument Leafs are not looking for LD according to various reports, so eliminate them too.
  • Gudbranson RD - Big defensive defenseman. Think middle pairing with spot duty on top pairing. 19 - 20 min a night, 4 mil cap hit signed through 2025-26
  • Peeke RD - Big, physical stay-at-home defenseman. More a bottom of the line up defender, think bottom pairing. 14 to 15 min a night. 2.75 mil cap hit signed through 2025-26
Gudbranson and Peeke both are Tre type defenders.

I hope it's more of a Werenski investment piece than messing around with the depth.

But Gudbranson has been a Treliving guy in Calgary in the past. He makes $4 million till 2026 with a NMC so he better come with 50% retention. Or really, not at all.

Provorov. Maybe? He seems like a bit of a distressed asset at the moment but if he was firing on all cylinders he wouldn't be available.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

As I see it, president Brendan Shanahan and GM Brad Treliving have one key question to focus on right now. How good do they feel about plugging these holes between now and the March 8 trade deadline?

You have to believe the longer this season goes without any signs the Leafs can snap out of this middle-of-the-pack trend, the more likely we will see a quieter deadline where they might sell off a few pieces themselves.

The unpredictability of this team and the number of weaknesses in their game make it difficult to give up assets in Hail Mary trades that may not move the needle toward building a championship-calibre team.

And they have almost run out of disposable assets to trade for rental players. As Treliving has alluded, the cupboard is pretty empty.

The days of giving up first- and second-round picks for players like Nick Foligno or Ryan O’Reilly need to be over. The thought of Calgary's Chris Tanev or another Grade-A defenceman becoming a Leaf by the deadline is unlikely with the team’s inconsistencies. It might be wiser to sign a defenceman in the summer and keep the first-round asset — not a very Kyle Dubas-like strategy.

Shanahan faces new risks this season — aside from disappointing a ravenous fan base — that could factor into how aggressively he wants Treliving to be at the deadline.

First is the optics of having Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly all in the prime of the careers and not maximizing another opportunity to help them. Then there is the new-boss syndrome — something he’s never dealt with before — with newly appointed MLSE CEO Keith Pelley set to officially start in April.

Does Shanahan push to impress in what will be his 10th attempt to get out of the second round of the post-season? Or will he feel reassured in the coming weeks to do whatever he feels is right to help the team in both the short and long term without feeling like his job is attached to the outcome?

We'll find out soon. In the meantime, the Leafs entered Wednesday behind the Atlantic Division leaders and above the wild-card pile. Stuck in the middle.
They are getting ready to fire Shanahan. He is incompetent.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Anyone else seeing the rumors of Tor and CBJ doing a deal heating up a bit. I'm assuming it's for a defender. CBJ also has a lot of cap space , could be a spot for a cap dump
  • Provorov has been rumored to be avail but a LD not likely a Leaf target
  • Bean, Werenski and Severson are LD for sake of argument Leafs are not looking for LD according to various reports, so eliminate them too.
  • Gudbranson RD - Big defensive defenseman. Think middle pairing with spot duty on top pairing. 19 - 20 min a night, 4 mil cap hit signed through 2025-26
  • Peeke RD - Big, physical stay-at-home defenseman. More a bottom of the line up defender, think bottom pairing. 14 to 15 min a night. 2.75 mil cap hit signed through 2025-26
Gudbranson and Peeke both are Tre type defenders.
Provorov or Peeke (maybe), I want nothing to do with the rest of that lot

Reactions: arso40

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Given the relationship between Tre and Tanev I gotta think if he's acquired that a resign is expected - Flames may be trying to extract a premium for it.

Yeah, but should we be re-signing him???

The guy is 34 years old... he has a lengthy, lengthy injury history.

Next year is going to be rough for the Leafs with Matthews & Nylander getting more than the substantial increase in cap... they need to put themselves in a position, contractually, where they can build for 2025-26; when Tanev would be 36.

You look at the bodies that the Leafs have in terms of depth up front, and i think there's a lot to be excited about. Kniews at 21, Robertson at 22, Holmberg at 24... even Domi at 28 should have some decent legs on an extension.

On D, it's not that bad either... Liljegren at 24 and Timmins at 25. McCabe at 30 and Benoit at 25. They just need to find somebody that can come in and essentially leapfrog the entire right side.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Someone mentioned a 1st for tanev and a 2nd, like it

Gotta keep in mind there’s a chance our first might not be too different from their 2nd!!!

Doubt they do that, you may be able to get a 6th or something like that
Wonder what Philadelphia's plans with Morgan Frost are.
I wonder about Cody Glass

Had a good year last season but has fallen off again, maybe we could get the best out of him?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Had a good year last season but has fallen off again, maybe we could get the best out of him?
I watched him vs. EDM last week; he looks good in moments but seemingly lacks confidence right now.

The other guy who could help with depth-scoring that is of interest is Gurianov.

Reactions: Kiwi

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Yeah, but should we be re-signing him???

The guy is 34 years old... he has a lengthy, lengthy injury history.

Next year is going to be rough for the Leafs with Matthews & Nylander getting more than the substantial increase in cap... they need to put themselves in a position, contractually, where they can build for 2025-26; when Tanev would be 36.

You look at the bodies that the Leafs have in terms of depth up front, and i think there's a lot to be excited about. Kniews at 21, Robertson at 22, Holmberg at 24... even Domi at 28 should have some decent legs on an extension.

On D, it's not that bad either... Liljegren at 24 and Timmins at 25. McCabe at 30 and Benoit at 25. They just need to find somebody that can come in and essentially leapfrog the entire right side.
Yeah pretty much in agreement, Tanev could turn out fine but a bit too much of a gamble for us - we have no margin of error now.

Next year will be impossibly tough. 2025+ is the ticket.

Don't know if I'd bank much on a couple of those youngsters but we do have some pieces that could help fill out the roster when we're ready.

RD is the answer, maybe goaltending as well (Saros would take out the maybe), and every chance we gotta look for opportunity to close the gap. If it comes soon, next year will be even tougher capwise, but it's all about getting ready for the year after. It's a two year fix.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I honestly think this team will come out of the deadline with one of Tanev or Dumba. Tanev being the primary option of course.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I honestly think this team will come out of the deadline with one of Tanev or Dumba. Tanev being the primary option of course.

Almost feels like they need to add a legit top 4 dman, or may as well throw in the towel on the season. We're not winning four rounds of the playoffs with three of Brodie, McCabe, Gio, Benoit, and/or Liljegren getting top 4 minutes.

Not even sure if Tanev/Dumba are enough. That blueline just doesn't seem close to TB's Cup top 4 of Hedman, Sergachev, McDonagh, and Cernak, or Vegas' with Pietrangelo, Theodore, Martinez, and McNabb (as a few recent examples).

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Doubt they do that, you may be able to get a 6th or something like that

I really wanted Glass this past off-season. Kid works really hard and finally looked like an NHLer last season but has struggled to put up points this year. His effort is still there and you hope he can get back to last year’s production. 2.5 million dollar cap hit is a little bit of a gamble but depending on the cost, I’d still have some interest.

Reactions: Kiwi

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Sigh ...
Resign appears in the English language in the late fourteenth century with the meaning give up, surrender, abandon, submit, relinquish, coming from the Latin resignare, which means to check off, annul, cancel, give back, give up. Re-sign is transitive verb which means to sign again.

In quoting that, if it is anywhere close to the asking price, why bother.

We should resign ourselves to always be re-signing past their best before date players.

Dont be that guy, we are not here for a spelling lesson.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I don’t get the appeal of Dumba……..

Pro's: He hits, he has good offensive instincts, good skater, heavy shot, big effort guy, takes chances.

Cons: Is a dog defensively at times, takes chances, did I mention he's a dog sometimes defensively?

Not the ideal guy to be paired with Rielly, IMO he thinks like Rielly (which not always a good thing) but hits like McCabe. I think that pairing would get eaten alive vs Boston, TB or Fla.

Rielly plays defence like a scared dog, not really sure where to go.

Reactions: rumman

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Almost feels like they need to add a legit top 4 dman, or may as well throw in the towel on the season. We're not winning four rounds of the playoffs with three of Brodie, McCabe, Gio, Benoit, and/or Liljegren getting top 4 minutes.

Not even sure if Tanev/Dumba are enough. That blueline just doesn't seem close to TB's Cup top 4 of Hedman, Sergachev, McDonagh, and Cernak, or Vegas' with Pietrangelo, Theodore, Martinez, and McNabb (as a few recent examples).

Martinez and McNabb? They're good but I dunno about being all that great. TB definitely had a very deep team but having the best goaltender really helped as well.

McCabe and Liljegren, but especially McCabe, are much better than what people make them out to be. McCabe throws huge hits, moves the puck well and does a lot of good in terms of defending. He's not perfect but nobody is and that's where people really have a problem with judging defenders. There's a lot of "grass is greener on the other side" when people talk about defensemen. Gio and Benoit are bottom pairing... not sure why they are brought up.

I think Tanev on paper is the perfect fit for what the Leafs want and need right now. Right handed, top end PKer and can matchup against top players very well. But I don't disagree that the price to acquire is hard to justify and extending him as a 35 year old is iffy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dekes For Days
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad