Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Martinez and McNabb? They're good but I dunno about being all that great. TB definitely had a very deep team but having the best goaltender really helped as well.

McCabe and Liljegren, but especially McCabe, are much better than what people make them out to be. McCabe throws huge hits, moves the puck well and does a lot of good in terms of defending. He's not perfect but nobody is and that's where people really have a problem with judging defenders. There's a lot of "grass is greener on the other side" when people talk about defensemen. Gio and Benoit are bottom pairing... not sure why they are brought up.

I think Tanev on paper is the perfect fit for what the Leafs want and need right now. Right handed, top end PKer and can matchup against top players very well. But I don't disagree that the price to acquire is hard to justify and extending him as a 35 year old is iffy.
I don't think the risk of extending him for a couple of years is all that big. His salary won't be exorbitant, and he will probably be useful for a couple more years. He seems like such an obvious acquisition for the Leafs.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Tanev for 2 years is probably fine. I just do not want to give up assets for him.

If you can also score a top 3 D in free agency. Then things start to look much better.

Reilly Tanev
FA McCabe/Lilly
Benoit McCabe/Lilly

The FA could also be RHD then McCabe plays 2nd pair LHD. For example, DeMelo is probably better partner for Reilly at his age. Then Tanev is 2nd pair.

As Tanev declines, you break in Niemela as 3rd pair rhd and shuffle around the pairings.

I would rather wait for free agency because if the grab a good lhd and DeMelo, that's probably better than grabbing Tanev.

Reactions: TMLAM34

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Value of a first rounder is both inflated and watered down at the same time.

You can get as little as Sean Monahan, or as much as Elias Lindholm in the past 48 hours with a first rounder and a volume of warm bodies, B prospects and garbage. In other cases you can get a franchise repairing player like Hampus Lindholm or just roster guys on cheap contracts like a Jake McCabe for a first. Or you’re just using the first to move cap money etc. Or you’re packaging multiple picks to get a prime age, cheaper player like a Hagel.

Given the wide ranging application of a 1st round pick, if we were to move it I would want to expand the deal, throw in an overwhelming quality of odds and ends and try to land a big, big fish.
Flamea didnt get only a B prospect back in that deal

That Hunter kid is a Cowan level prospect. An A prospect

69 pts in 48 games as a D-man in his D+1. His value is a late teens to mid 20s 1st.

Thar + 1st they got is really good for a poorly performing UFA lindholm

They also got low level prispect and a kuzmenko who last year was elite. If they can give Kuz prime offensive time and see a 65+ year next year they can get a 1st for Kuz@50% next year.

The lindholm package is 2 1sts at minimum in valuation

Reactions: arso40

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Knies looks like a legit NHL player for sure. I’d bet money he becomes a top-6 player, but he isn’t one yet.

Robertson has yet to prove he can stick in the NHL.
Knies looks worse than robertson most nights when I watch him play.

He has been gifted top 6 time but cant produce whatsoever

Im more confident in robertson if keefe is fired becoming a top 6 player than Knies

Reactions: Sypher04

ashs

Oct 27, 2007

Im more confident in robertson if keefe is fired becoming a top 6 player than Knies
Knies has been working on puck possession and strength and it shows. He plays heavy in the puck and will do well for us in thr playoffs when possession means more. When he starts working on shooting he will get the goals but for now he's progressing very well. I wouldn't trade knies power forwards like him are hard to find.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

In fairness, Robertson is slightly older and slightly more experienced at the NHL level. Truthfully though, I don't think all that much will separate them once each gets to the point of being a fully developed NHLer (which will hopefully be a good thing).

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Knies is clearly showing the signs of a young player learning the grind of the NHL .. playing the most number of games he has in his career. Nothing to be concerned about.

And while he's playing with Matthews/Marner a lot, a great opportunity, this does lend itself to much tougher matchups against the opposition.

A couple of important pieces of context.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Pro's: He hits, he has good offensive instincts, good skater, heavy shot, big effort guy, takes chances.

Cons: Is a dog defensively at times, takes chances, did I mention he's a dog sometimes defensively?

Not the ideal guy to be paired with Rielly, IMO he thinks like Rielly (which not always a good thing) but hits like McCabe. I think that pairing would get eaten alive vs Boston, TB or Fla.

Rielly plays defence like a scared dog, not really sure where to go.
Sounds like Timmins, big pass……..

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Knies is clearly showing the signs of a young player learning the grind of the NHL .. playing the most number of games he has in his career. Nothing to be concerned about.

And while he's playing with Matthews/Marner a lot, a great opportunity, this does lend itself to much tougher matchups against the opposition.

A couple of important pieces of context.

Very valid point.

I think he's going to have a few good games coming out of this all-star break, he got a chance to recharge a bit. The season was also a bit weird/condensed with the Swedish trip.

Reactions: Sypher04

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Off season version 2135412142

1706988855716.png

1706988946769.png

1706988966357.png

I don't know if Silfverberg will sign for 1 year 1M and I don't know if Vincent Deshairnais would sign for 1 year 850k

I'd be willing to go for a guy like Stolarz if they came in a bit less to make room for Silfverberg or something though as he's a good penalty killer.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Not afraid to commend them. I just never want to see them win a cup in my lifetime. I I dont consider myself petty. But when it comes to other Cdn fanbases winning a cup , i can go real low.
i rather have a canadian team win it , canucks dont bother me

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Off season version 2135412142

View attachment 814334
View attachment 814335

View attachment 814336

I don't know if Silfverberg will sign for 1 year 1M and I don't know if Vincent Deshairnais would sign for 1 year 850k

I'd be willing to go for a guy like Stolarz if they came in a bit less to make room for Silfverberg or something though as he's a good penalty killer.
Benoit is worth more than Lilly imo, no way their salaries will be that far apart imo..........

i rather have a canadian team win it , canucks dont bother me
I like watching teams earn the cup regardless of the city..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad