Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Don't throw away assets for no gain.

I’m not advocating throwing away for no gain…

We’d be gaining cap space, for this year and 3 more going forward.

And obviously you’d have to get someone to fill the role. Ideally someone who is I don’t know, actually good at it.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Why bother moving him?

He's a 3rd. liner who plays the most PK time.

2.4mm isn't crippling at all.

If someone wants to trade for him and offer value sure, but this team isn't Kampf away from winning squat.
He's a 4th liner who can't provide offence so bull**** he's a 3rd liner

He also gets curb stomped defensively if he doesn't have Engvall to lean on

We don't have the luxury of carrying overpaid bad bottom 6 forwards, we dont have enough cap space to waste any on him

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Unbelievable, if he isn't living up to his contract he isn't a asset

An asset has value, Kampf is not only worth nothing he's going to cost us assets just to get rid of him

He’s had a rough couple of months, but it doesn’t help that Keefe has no idea how to deploy him. You can’t anchor him with the worst linemates and the toughest assignments. Who the hell can succeed in those circumstances?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He’s had a rough couple of months, but it doesn’t help that Keefe has no idea how to deploy him. You can’t anchor him with the worst linemates and the toughest assignments. Who the hell can succeed in those circumstances?
Agreed. Kampf has been playing with Gregor, McMann and Reaves. What kind of line can you put together for what usage with those line mates? Kampf looked the best playing with Engvall and Mikheyev. I’d like to see Jarnkrok - Kampf - Holmberg for a little stretch and used as a defensive shutdown line.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Agreed. Kampf has been playing with Gregor, McMann and Reaves. What kind of line can you put together for what usage with those line mates? Kampf looked the best playing with Engvall and Mikheyev. I’d like to see Jarnkrok - Kampf - Holmberg for a little stretch and used as a defensive shutdown line.

Exactly. If you’re going to deploy Kampf as a shutdown center, you have to understand that means he isn’t a 4th liner, and assemble the roster accordingly.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Exactly. If you’re going to deploy Kampf as a shutdown center, you have to understand that means he isn’t a 4th liner, and assemble the roster accordingly.
The bottom six as it currently stands is

Robertson - Domi - Jarnkrok
Gregor - Kampf - McMann/Reaves/Holmberg

IMO it should be

Jarnkrok - Kampf - Holmberg
Robertson - Domi - McMann

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume there's a plethora of 4C's on the UFA market who can do what Kampf does for us at half the cost. David Kampf at 1.3m or whatever isn't a problem, double his cap hit and all of a sudden he sticks out like a sore thumb. It was a terrible, terrible extension by Tre, should've been an easy call to let the player walk.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
It's too bad about Kampf. That first season here was great. Something this team had been looking for since Jay McLement (with multiple attempts like bringing in an aging Boyle and the corpse of Plekanec) . You have that version of Kampf against Boston in 2019 we probably win the series instead of Bergeron vs. Hyman on the faceoff on the PK.

But then last year's Kampf took a step back. Not horrible, but not what he was. Then this year... Very disappointing.

Reactions: uncleben

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's a 4th liner who can't provide offence so bull**** he's a 3rd liner

He also gets curb stomped defensively if he doesn't have Engvall to lean on

We don't have the luxury of carrying overpaid bad bottom 6 forwards, we dont have enough cap space to waste any on him
For forwards:

He gets 9th. most ES TOI/g.

We might not like it but he's getting 3rd. line minutes at even strength, and most SH TOI/g.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The bottom six as it currently stands is

Robertson - Domi - Jarnkrok
Gregor - Kampf - McMann/Reaves/Holmberg

IMO it should be

The offensive contributions of Domi and Robertson might be too limited in a fourth line role (although the TOI between the two lines could be made to be fairly close). I'd probably opt for:

Robertson-Domi-Jarnkrok
Gregor/McMann-Kampf-Holmberg

Unfortunately, injuries...

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The offensive contributions of Domi and Robertson might be too limited in a fourth line role (although the TOI between the two lines could be made to be fairly close). I'd probably opt for:

Robertson-Domi-Jarnkrok
Gregor/McMann-Kampf-Holmberg

Unfortunately, injuries...
Outside of Jarnkrok, all those player ice times are fairly close anyways. Nothing really changes outside of linemates and line usage. Third line is more defensive and puts everyone’s strengths together. Fourth line has two shooters with a pure playmaker in between them hopefully causing mismatches given their offensive skill set and skating ability compared to other fourth lines.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Nylander

I think that would be our best forward line combinations.

Need to focus on improving the blueline. I’d target Samuelsson.

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Outside of Jarnkrok, all those player ice times are fairly close anyways. Nothing really changes outside of linemates and line usage. Third line is more defensive and puts everyone’s strengths together. Fourth line has two shooters with a pure playmaker in between them hopefully causing mismatches given their offensive skill set and skating ability compared to other fourth lines.

Perry would have been a nice add in that McMann spot.

When all is said and done, I hope only one of Holmberg, McMann or Robertson are playing regularly in the playoffs. Need to add some functional grit in that bottom 6. Acciari was great last year. Maybe Bjustad is someone that they look at with some size at centre (push Domi to the wing).

I saw someone mention Bjustad and Dumba earlier in the thread. Would be a low end cost move that could add some depth and grit.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume there's a plethora of 4C's on the UFA market who can do what Kampf does for us at half the cost. David Kampf at 1.3m or whatever isn't a problem, double his cap hit and all of a sudden he sticks out like a sore thumb. It was a terrible, terrible extension by Tre, should've been an easy call to let the player walk.

You can go on that limb, but you’d be dead wrong.

Reactions: 4thline

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Leafs are looking for a third line that can give secondary scoring when the top six falters. Kamp is not good enough offensively to play on a third line for secondary scoring.
Leafs want a crash and bang fourth line and kampf isn’t built for that.
He doesn’t have a role on this team now.
Time to try to package him for something

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs are looking for a third line that can give secondary scoring when the top six falters. Kamp is not good enough offensively to play on a third line for secondary scoring.
Leafs want a crash and bang fourth line and kampf isn’t built for that.
He doesn’t have a role on this team now.
Time to try to package him for something

The rules for Kampf apply to all the other players.

If a good deal can be made to upgrade the team, and it fits with the direction of the team, trade away.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

He's in the first year of a seven year pact. Can't imagine Buffalo trades him.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Leafs should look into trading Marner for Keller. Marner is going to be renegotiating his contract soon and will likely be looking for around 12-12.5M. Keller only makes 7.15M for 4 more years. 5M in cap savings there could go a real long way to building a stanley cup defense

Reactions: TMLAM34

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs should look into trading Marner for Keller. Marner is going to be renegotiating his contract soon and will likely be looking for around 12-12.5M. Keller only makes 7.15M for 4 more years. 5M in cap savings there could go a real long way to building a stanley cup defense

That's great but Marner accepting to be traded to Arizona of all teams is not gonna happen, and I think Arizona is more than happy with Keller as well.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Kampf has been bad for well more than a couple months, both offensively and defensively. I don’t blame him entirely for it, but it is where we find ourselves. IF we can acquire players that bring quality play out of him again then great, but even still he’d be overpaid by a fairly significant amount. This team doesn’t have the luxury of being able to overpay bottom 6 forwards.

Reactions: Kiwi

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Never happen, if there’s one player I want from the Yotes it’s Lawson Crouse……..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad