Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Very few top pairing defencemen that are available, if any. We throw out names like Andersson and Parayko but realistically neither team is going to move those players.

Not to mention it might be a smart move holding onto our 1st round pick this year considering where our team is.

Add a defenceman like Borgen or Fabbro at the deadline who aren’t top pairing defencemen but still improve our blueline and won’t cost too much.

Then focus this off-season on finding a true top pairing defencemen whether through UFA or trade knowing where our 1st round pick will go.

With St. Louis back in the play-offs, I don't think they move their best defenseman. When they were outside looking in, it was rumoured he was on the block.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Will continue to say Toronto needs a two way 3rd line centerman long term and a top 4 d-man to do some damage in the playoffs, but both of those players need to come with term, don't think its possible they can pull that off.

Knies - 34 - 16
Bert - 91 - 88
Robertson - SOLID 2 WAY CENTER (think adam henrique, or along those lines) - Jankrok
Domi - Kampf - Gregor

Suddenly the forward lines have depth and the ability to score on everyline.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
We need to get Trenin for the bottom 6. If we don't Tampa will grab him for sure and body us all series if we face them.

Less 1 mil cap hit at deadline. These are the guys cap constrained contenders need to grab for hard playoff hockey.

He's 27. Stay away from same style that is over 30 years old

Reactions: Kurtz

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
So Nashville's #6 defenseman, who's ice time has been in decline for 3 consecutive seasons, is going to come an be Toronto's #2 defenseman?

It's called fit, he's played very well beside Josi but i guess we can do what you do and bitch about the problem while offering zero solutions or ideas to fix it
extremely vanilla. They already have enough players who you barely notice on the ice with no grit. Let’s add another one.

Ah yes grit, I prefer useful and can do a job to help the team win personally

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
It's called fit, he's played very well beside Josi but i guess we can do what you do and bitch about the problem while offering zero solutions or ideas to fix it

It's called having a bad defense core. We've had one for years because we keep trying to cheap out at that position.

I've offered up several solutions, but the price for those are high. Colton Parayko when he was possibly available. Noah Hanifin, Ivan Provoron, Cam Fowler, Adam Larsson, and Connor Murphy.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's called having a bad defense core. We've had one for years because we keep trying to cheap out at that position.

I've offered up several solutions, but the price for those are high. Colton Parayko when he was possibly available. Noah Hanifin, Ivan Provoron, Cam Fowler, Adam Larsson, and Connor Murphy.

Ok, so a lot of guys that probably aren't available, shoot left, have questionable defensive games or we can't afford

How about trying to think of a plan that doesn't destroy the prospect pool, cap situation and the guy shoots right instead? My idea might blow but it's working in the situation we're faced with

Ideal has left the building

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Ok, so a lot of guys that probably aren't available, shoot left, have questionable defensive games or we can't afford

We need left-handed upgrades too.

Parayko was briefly available, which is why he was the best target.

How about trying to think of a plan that doesn't destroy the prospect pool, cap situation and the guy shoots right instead?

You get what you pay for. If you want a legit solution to our blueline problems, it's going to cost a huge price - either in assets, or cap space, or both.

My idea might blow but it's working in the situation we're faced with

If we could get Fabbro for almost nothing, it would be worth it. Even then, he should play 3rd pair until he earns his way up the lineup. He's 25 years old, and his role has been diminishing ever since he was given a top-4 job at the age of 21. He was given a chance and failed. We'd be better targeting somebody who hasn't been given a chance.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We need left-handed upgrades too.

Parayko was briefly available, which is why he was the best target.

You get what you pay for. If you want a legit solution to our blueline problems, it's going to cost a huge price - either in assets, or cap space, or both.

If we could get Fabbro for almost nothing, it would be worth it. Even then, he should play 3rd pair until he earns his way up the lineup. He's 25 years old, and his role has been diminishing ever since he was given a top-4 job at the age of 21. He was given a chance and failed. We'd be better targeting somebody who hasn't been given a chance.
We have limited assets, i'm more than willing to discuss a LD upgrade, I'm always trading for Provorov but it limits what you can do on the top pair even further

We can't afford that, we need to think of other less costly solutions even if there is risk attached to them

No, were better off getting somebody in the right age range who fits stylistically that could benefit from a change of scenery or system change like Fabbro and/or Peeke and rolling the dice that way

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
We have limited assets, i'm more than willing to discuss a LD upgrade, I'm always trading for Provorov but it limits what you can do on the top pair even further

We can't afford that, we need to think of other less costly solutions even if there is risk attached to them

No, were better off getting somebody in the right age range who fits stylistically that could benefit from a change of scenery or system change like Fabbro and/or Peeke and rolling the dice that way
Exactly we’re not a fence swing away so it’s best to get a peeke for instance a trade that’s low cost and we don’t need to make the same kinda trade next year

Reactions: aingefan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Exactly we’re not a fence swing away so it’s best to get a peeke for instance a trade that’s low cost and we don’t need to make the same kinda trade next year

Peeke I can see... He fits the style that we need, even if the quality is a question mark and should be available for cheap, particularly after Jiricek's comments.

Fabbro, I can't see being as available. Nashville are fighting for a playoff spot, and really don't think they have a need to move him.

horner

May 22, 2007

How about trying to think of a plan that doesn't destroy the prospect pool, cap situation and the guy shoots right instead? My idea might blow but it's working in the situation we're faced with

TDL
I don't think that treliving will trade a 1st
Trade a 3rd +'Abruzzese fir a dman

UFA
Hakanpaa 3 mil and Reilly
Skjie 6 5 mil and McCabe
Ljiligren 3 mil Benoit 1.5 mil

I think Ljiligren will be traded this summer

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Will continue to say Toronto needs a two way 3rd line centerman long term and a top 4 d-man to do some damage in the playoffs, but both of those players need to come with term, don't think its possible they can pull that off.

Knies - 34 - 16
Bert - 91 - 88
Robertson - SOLID 2 WAY CENTER (think adam henrique, or along those lines) - Jankrok
Domi - Kampf - Gregor

Suddenly the forward lines have depth and the ability to score on everyline.
Don’t expect that 4th line to do much offensively, which is what’s usually expected from your 4th line. Domi did not fare well at all when he started the season on the wing. I still would like to see a solid shutdown line, and I dont see that here On the 3rd line with Robertson on it.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Don’t expect that 4th line to do much offensively, which is what’s usually expected from your 4th line. Domi did not fare well at all when he started the season on the wing. I still would like to see a solid shutdown line, and I dont see that here On the 3rd line with Robertson on it.
Holmberg kampf jarnkrok solid shut down line so we need a big winger right shot preferably to play with domi n robertson like jesse pulvijarvi(might have butchered the name) should be cheap

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
They can make that work.

Tavare$ and 1.5.

ELC-Matthews-marner
ELC-Pettersson-Nylander
Cowan-Minten-Jarnkrok
The leads won't fleece Jim Rutherford lol
He is what a multi billion dollar hockey club should have in charge
The Canucks just got better .if they petterson leave the leafs will never be a ble to afford him
Leafs will likely overpay for tanev

horner

May 22, 2007
Holmberg kampf jarnkrok solid shut down line so we need a big winger right shot preferably to play with domi n robertson like jesse pulvijarvi(might have butchered the name) should be cheap
They are missing a physical edge to there game.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Defensively responsible center you can play against anybody = vanilla?

It would be nice if we could put out a line that wasn't Matthews in the DZ and not have it get curb stomped

Wennberg would be great. We sorely, sorely need that profile of player. One you can trust all over the ice. He's rangy and hard to play against.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
They are missing a physical edge to there game.
I'm fine without Holmberg and especially Kampf in the lineup. The roster needs an overhaul this summer

Knies Matthews Marner
Cowan Wennberg Nylander
Robertson Tavares Jarnkrok
Trenin Minten Clutterbuck

Reilly Tanev
McCabe Peeke
Benoit Liljegren

Woll
Brossoit

Trades:
Kampf for a 4th and 6th
Holmberg for Peeke
Reaves a 4th and 6th for futures

Let walk:

Domi, Bertuzzi, Brodie, McMann, Gregor, Giordano, Samsonov

Signing :

Wennberg 5x4.5
Tanev 3 x 4.5
Brossoit 2 x 2
Trenin 4 x 2
Clutterbuck 1 x 1.5

To be honest I'm unsure on alot of that, this team won't get significantly better or deeper until Tavares is off the books

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
I would definitely be willing to give that shutdown line a good run to see how it fares. I might try Steeves or Bellows before I'd try Puljujarvi (I cheated, I looked him up so his name would be spelled correctly, haha). Of course the problem is that now the games are going to be tougher as they usually are after the Allstar break, so maybe I would try Puljujarvi first.

Reactions: aingefan and arso40

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
TDL goal for me would be:

Upgrade Kampf to Jenner/Monahan/Henrique

Upgrade Timmins to Roy/Tanev/Larsson

Any addition to have years left or extension in place.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Nylander
Jenner/Monahan/Henrique - Domi - Robertson
Gregor - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
(Or have one of those guys center Tavares and Nylander)

Rielly - Roy/Tanev/Larsson
McCabe/Benoit - Brodie
McCabe/Benoit - Liljegren
Gio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad